PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen tweaking?

Frater Perdurabo
04-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Not to overreact after one bad bullpen performance...

MacDougal has an option remaining.

Ehren Wasserman performed well last year (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/W/ehren-wassermann.shtml), did well in Spring Training, and has been great in Charlotte (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Ehren%20Wassermann&pos=P&sid=t494&t=p_pbp&pid=469164).

Why not option MacDougal to Charlotte, demote Dotel to middle relief, and use Wassermann in the 7th/8th inning setup role to complement Linebrink?

Chilli Palmer
04-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Money. We are paying Mac****ass alot of money compared to Wassermann.

WhiteSox5187
04-23-2008, 09:12 AM
I don't think they're going to send him down quite yet. As mentioned above, Kenny put a lot of money into Mac and doesn't seem to like paying that sort of money for AAA guys.

voodoochile
04-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Ozzie doesn't seem to trust anyone but Linebrink and Bobby. Last night Logan gave up one of the toughest singles you'll ever see to load the bases in the 7th. In comes Dotel. He K's the next guy but then for some reason Ozzie goes away from his love of matchups and leaves Dotel in. Not saying thornton would have done better, he didn't the next inning, but trying to figure out what Ozzie is going to do day to day with the bullpen is nearly impossible. That was the perfect spot to go man to man and he didn't do it.

If anything needs to settle down and stick with a plan in the bullpen, it's Ozzie. I think the team has some good relief pitchers who aren't getting used properly.

Chilli Palmer
04-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Ozzie doesn't seem to trust anyone but Linebrink and Bobby. Last night Logan gave up one of the toughest singles you'll ever see to load the bases in the 7th. In comes Dotel. He K's the next guy but then for some reason Ozzie goes away from his love of matchups and leaves Dotel in. Not saying thornton would have done better, he didn't the next inning, but trying to figure out what Ozzie is going to do day to day with the bullpen is nearly impossible. That was the perfect spot to go man to man and he didn't do it.

If anything needs to settle down and stick with a plan in the bullpen, it's Ozzie. I think the team has some good relief pitchers who aren't getting used properly.

We all know that probably wont happen.

Jerko
04-23-2008, 09:27 AM

I think we should have taken our chances with Logan/Jeter, then you have the great L/L matchup with Abreu. That scratch hit to Damon killed us. Obviously Ozzie thought Dotel would be facing Jeter with 2 outs. I'm not mad that he didn't bring in a lefty to face Abreu, but I don't like the one pitcher per batter BS either. I don't care who else does it, THIS team is not able to do it.

Frater Perdurabo
04-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Money. We are paying Mac****ass alot of money compared to Wassermann.

I don't think they're going to send him down quite yet. As mentioned above, Kenny put a lot of money into Mac and doesn't seem to like paying that sort of money for AAA guys.

If money is the only reason MacDougal is on the Sox and Wassermann is in Charlotte, then KW is a stubborn fool.

kevingrt
04-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Just so you know regardless of what happened in the Logan vs Damon match-up he was only in to face Damon. They were not going to let Logan face a right-handed Jeter.

But I agree with your statement in Ozzie not trusting anyone except Bobby and Scott.

And I could be wrong but MacDougal has done pretty well since his explosion versus the Injuns on the 2nd.

Harry Chappas
04-23-2008, 09:59 AM
If money is the only reason MacDougal is on the Sox and Wassermann is in Charlotte, then KW is a stubborn fool.

There's no way Kenny would let MacDougal's contract stand in the way of improving the team. He wants to win too much to play that game. I think it's too early in the season to push the panic button on our bullpen but if we start seeing crap like last night with regularity, I suspect Wassermann will get called up.

Jerko
04-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Just so you know regardless of what happened in the Logan vs Damon match-up he was only in to face Damon. They were not going to let Logan face a right-handed Jeter.

We got caught with our pants down after Damon got that lucky hit. We couldn't leave Logan in to face Jeter, we couldn't bring Thornton in to face Abreu, so we brought in our "7th inning guy". Without that open-ass hit by Damon, the plan would have probably worked. Then again, Jeter might have taken a different approach to his at bat if there were 2 outs.

SoxGirl4Life
04-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I want Wasserman. He was the only one (other than Bobby) that didn't make me nauseous last year.

I have a violent reaction to MacDougal. That might not be fair, but its honest. I can see it when he's running in from the bullpen. The four-ball walks, the perfect strike that's promptly laced into some gap or smoked into the bleachers, the nervous look he has while his glove is shaking trying to get ONE guy out.

:whiner:

Chicken Dinner
04-23-2008, 10:55 AM
It's April. Don't overreact.

Law11
04-23-2008, 10:59 AM
This will still be our biggest issue this year.
The blown game vs balt and last night.

One guy once in a while having a bad outing no big deal but when you have multiple guys coming in not doing the job its a sign that things need to get better fast. Dotel doesnt do anything for me, I didnt see this as a great move from the day it was announced and Boone just isnt ready for the big time yet.
he gets rattled fast when he falls behind.

As good as the Starters have been they will go through a bad stretch and the Bp needs to be there to step it up. Masset, Dotel, Logan? Not striking fear into anyone..

Keep blowing late inning leads and the pack will catch us in a heartbeat.

jenn2080
04-23-2008, 11:08 AM

While this is true, we said the same thing when the bullpen started stinking the joint up last year and our team couldnt hit a 16 inch softball. Everytime someone complained the answer was its only April or its only May.

Chicken Dinner
04-23-2008, 11:22 AM
While this is true, we said the same thing when the bullpen started stinking the joint up last year and our team couldnt hit a 16 inch softball. Everytime someone complained the answer was its only April or its only May.

The bullpen was actually pretty good last April. :smile:

jenn2080
04-23-2008, 11:33 AM
The bullpen was actually pretty good last April. :smile:

That was pretty much the only month they were good.

Chilli Palmer
04-23-2008, 11:47 AM
That was pretty much the only month they were good.

I concur.

Lip Man 1
04-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I guess it depends of your "definition" of "good."

By April 22nd of last year the bullpen had already blown three games where the Sox had the lead in the 7th inning or later and lost. (4/4, 4/10, 4/22)

I agree with what Voodoo said earlier. The Sox badly need some defined roles for the bullpen, but with Ozzie you are not going to get them and instead are going to depend on his "gut" and "match-up's."

Obviously that hasn't been very successful for the pen in either 06 or 07...we'll see about 08.

Lip

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-23-2008, 01:08 PM
I would demote Logan and call up Wassermann. MacDougal has looked decent so far. Dotel hopefully will come around.

jenn2080
04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
I would demote Logan and call up Wassermann. MacDougal has looked decent so far. Dotel hopefully will come around.

Leave Boon and send Dotel somewhere.

Chilli Palmer
04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Leave Boon and send Dotel somewhere.

And his 11.5MM contract?

turners56
04-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Not many bullpens are going to get out of it against a dangerous Yankees lineup with men on first and second and one out. Fact is, the bullpen probably wouldn't of failed so badly had Ozzie not let Contreras pitch the 7th.

turners56
04-23-2008, 01:26 PM
And his 11.5MM contract?
If I'm not mistaken, Dotel is getting a higher salary than Linebrink this season. How sad...Octavio's gotten hurt on two swings this year, maybe he should stop falling behind hitters...

RockJock07
04-23-2008, 01:47 PM

Agreed. Other then two games, last evening and last week against Bat. were the only occasions where the bullpen looked really bad.

JB98
04-23-2008, 01:49 PM

MacDougal and Hall are both keeping their roster spots because of money. MacDougal has been used exclusively in non-pressure situations this year. I think the hope is he will put up good numbers in situations like last night, where the Sox are losing 9-4. And some other unsuspecting team that needs bullpen help will be dumb enough to take MacDougal's contract off our hands in July.

Lip Man 1
04-23-2008, 03:28 PM
JB:

You may have touched on something there!

Lip

SoxGirl4Life
04-23-2008, 03:33 PM
MacDougal and Hall are both keeping their roster spots because of money. MacDougal has been used exclusively in non-pressure situations this year. I think the hope is he will put up good numbers in situations like last night, where the Sox are losing 9-4. And some other unsuspecting team that needs bullpen help will be dumb enough to take MacDougal's contract off our hands in July.
:praying:

assrevolution
04-23-2008, 03:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Dotel is getting a higher salary than Linebrink this season. How sad...Octavio's gotten hurt on two swings this year, maybe he should stop falling behind hitters...

If "Don't Tell" keeps walking guys and then giving up huge hits afterwards then he belongs anywhere except the mound. This guy had a terrible spring and now a terrible April. We can't afford to let 'repeat offender' relievers blow our leads. KW hasn't had a lot of success in free agent relievers lately. Picking up Dotel was pure deperation. He hasn't been healthy or proven he could pitch in the last handful of years.

Lillian
04-24-2008, 08:09 AM
I earlier suggested that we bring up Wasserman. Many of you seem to agree, but the issue is whose bullpen spot would he take? Maybe the Sox should simply bring him back up, and keep the rest of the pitchers, until we can trade someone. We don't really need Ramirez, and most of us have agreed that he should be getting regular playing time at AAA. Send him to Charlotte in order to clear a spot for Wasserman.