PDA

View Full Version : T-shirts deemed offensive not allowed at the Safe

Shammy Soso
04-29-2002, 09:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0429/1375728.html

Gez, and Comisky isnt fan friendly?

RedPinStripes
04-29-2002, 10:13 PM
That's a bunch of crap if i ever heard it! These yuppie politically corect morons are ruining some some at the ball park. I can understand if a shirt said F---k The Yankees or something, but Yankess Suck? Come on!

doublem23
04-29-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
That's a bunch of crap if i ever heard it! These yuppie politically corect morons are ruining some some at the ball park. I can understand if a shirt said F---k The Yankees or something, but Yankess Suck? Come on!

Sigh... Baseball + frappucinos = Seattle Mariners.....

It's pathetic, really.

YOFrankie
04-30-2002, 12:05 AM
Well, this is not done with the sole purpose of political correctness. There's marketing done here, and apparently Seattle thinks it will reach are bigger market if it is a tammer environment. I do think this is too far though, both in the policy issue, and I think it will hurt their apeal.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-30-2002, 12:10 AM
Well, I guess those "Eat Sh*t Ichiro" t-shirts we were having made up would be out of the question at Safeco?

We'll just stick with "Hell Yea, I'm a Sox Fan!"

:)

RedPinStripes
04-30-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by YOFrankie
Well, this is not done with the sole purpose of political correctness. There's marketing done here, and apparently Seattle thinks it will reach are bigger market if it is a tammer environment. I do think this is too far though, both in the policy issue, and I think it will hurt their apeal.

Yeah, the golf clap for home runs will excite many in a few years with the way they are going.

RedPinStripes
04-30-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Well, I guess those "Eat Sh*t Ichiro" t-shirts we were having made up would be out of the question at Safeco?

We'll just stick with "Hell Yea, I'm a Sox Fan!"

:)

i still need one of those shirts. Hey PHG, get a few sample Ichiro shirts and I'll test it out this week. I want to get a shanghi Mariners shirt. :D:

Spiff
04-30-2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

i still need one of those shirts. Hey PHG, get a few sample Ichiro shirts and I'll test it out this week. I want to get a shanghi Mariners shirt. :D:

Shanghai is in China.

RedPinStripes
04-30-2002, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00

Shanghai is in China.

Ok. Got me there.

Lisa
04-30-2002, 10:15 AM
"If you don't pay attention to the small things, you lose control of the neighborhood and it becomes run down and crime infested," she said.

So THAT'S why the Robert Taylor homes are so run down! It's the beer and T-shirts at Comiskey! Damn, I never knew. If we can follow the Mariners example, maybe it'll turn into a thriving upper class area! Bring on the Starbucks!

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-30-2002, 03:10 PM
This happened to me at 6 flags last summer. the stupid jerks wouldnt let me wear my cubssuck shirt. god i hate them

cheeses_h_rice
04-30-2002, 03:20 PM
This reminds me of my one and only trip to Grant Park to go to Blues Fest, in 1987. This super gross guy is standing on the lawn, drinking a beer, and on his shirt is the very clever "No more Mister Nice Guy...on your knees, BITCH."

Like, what was this guy thinking? That this shirt was funny? That it would bag him a babe that day? I still shake my head when I think about it. It was just over the top.

Now, a "____ suck" t-shirt is another matter. It just seems sort of tame and PG-13, doesn't it?

Kilroy
04-30-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Now, a "____ suck" t-shirt is another matter. It just seems sort of tame and PG-13, doesn't it?

Well, that's debateable, isn't it?

What if it said "____ suck ****" on that t-shirt?

That's the connotation of the phrase "sucks", right? Some people don't ignore those things even tho they aren't stated or printed right on the shirt.

RedPinStripes
04-30-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Lisa
"If you don't pay attention to the small things, you lose control of the neighborhood and it becomes run down and crime infested," she said.

So THAT'S why the Robert Taylor homes are so run down! It's the beer and T-shirts at Comiskey! Damn, I never knew. If we can follow the Mariners example, maybe it'll turn into a thriving upper class area! Bring on the Starbucks!

I think you forgot the teal.

FarWestChicago
04-30-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

That's the connotation of the phrase "sucks", right? Some people don't ignore those things even tho they aren't stated or printed right on the shirt. Wrong. There was a lengthy, multi-day debate about this subject out here on sports talk radio recently. Most people equate "sucks" with "stinks" or other synonyms now. Of course, if you are particularly potty brained, you may be different. :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
04-30-2002, 04:02 PM

Well, that's debateable, isn't it?

That's the connotation of the phrase "sucks", right? Some people don't ignore those things even tho they aren't stated or printed right on the shirt.

I don't think it's debateable, if you've been halfway cognizant of popular culture in the last 15 years.

Bart Simpson says it all the time, and plenty of other TV shows have characters that say stuff sucks.

To equate that to "sucking ****" is quite a stretch.

Kilroy
04-30-2002, 04:19 PM

I don't think it's debateable, if you've been halfway cognizant of popular culture in the last 15 years.

Bart Simpson says it all the time, and plenty of other TV shows have characters that say stuff sucks.

How can that be a stretch, when that's the origin of the phrase in the first place?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anythinq wrong with a Yankees Suck shirt. But the phrase "sucks" implies the unwritten or unspoken part. Ask yourself, sucks what?

FarWestChicago
04-30-2002, 04:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anythinq wrong with a Yankees Suck shirt. But the phrase "sucks" implies the unwritten or unspoken part. Ask yourself, sucks what? That is your opinion. Most people don't think that way any more. You just have a one track mind. :smile:

RedPinStripes
04-30-2002, 04:23 PM
"Unwritten or unspoken part"..........Exactly. Think about it.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-30-2002, 04:24 PM

Interesting. I always thought of "suck" as the vulgar version of stink, and "damn" the vulgar version of darn, and "sh*t" the vulgar version of shoot, and "f***" the vulgar version of fudge.

And now I'm thinking I had it backwards-- that in fact, these sanitized words all came AFTER the vulgarities.

Makes you wonder...

Chisox353014
04-30-2002, 04:28 PM

How can that be a stretch, when that's the origin of the phrase in the first place?
But the phrase "sucks" implies the unwritten or unspoken part. Ask yourself, sucks what?

Hmmmm....I always thought that it was just a stronger way of saying "stinks" too, but dictionary.com seems to back up your theory. Although I don't think most people are thinking that anymore when they say it.

suck Pronunciation Key (sk)
v. sucked, suck·ing, sucks
v. tr.
1 To draw (liquid) into the mouth by movements of the tongue and lips that create suction.
a-To draw in by establishing a partial vacuum: a cleaning device that sucks up dirt.
b-To draw in by or as if by a current in a fluid.
c-To draw or pull as if by suction: teenagers who are sucked into a life of crime.
3 To draw nourishment through or from: suck a baby bottle.
4 To hold, moisten, or maneuver (a sweet, for example) in the mouth.
5 Vulgar Slang. To perform fellatio on.

cheeses_h_rice
04-30-2002, 04:30 PM

Interesting. I always thought of "suck" as the vulgar version of stink, and "damn" the vulgar version of darn, and "sh*t" the vulgar version of shoot, and "f***" the vulgar version of fudge.

And now I'm thinking I had it backwards-- that in fact, these sanitized words all came AFTER the vulgarities.

Makes you wonder...

That's not what I was saying.

But upon further thought, I have to back off my statement to Kilroy that going from "Yankees suck" to "Yankees suck ****" is a stretch; at one time (maybe in the '50s or '60s), "sucks" probably did mean something truly vulgar along these lines, instead of being (as I look at it now) a more potent version of "stink."

However, at least since my days as a foul-mouthed youngster, "sucks" when used in the context of "____ sucks" has had basically one meaning, and that is "to really stink." For the vast majority of people uttering this phrase, I am certain this is the case as well. Which is why I think the Safeco folks are overreacting, or at least acting in a manner that isn't consistent with today's mores and standards.

That is all.

Chisox_cali
04-30-2002, 04:42 PM
I own a t-shirt that says "Swedish as F**k" on it (without the stars of course) and I once got kicked of of the mall because I have a sweatshirt that says F**K IT ALL :D:

voodoochile
04-30-2002, 04:48 PM

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anythinq wrong with a Yankees Suck shirt. But the phrase "sucks" implies the unwritten or unspoken part. Ask yourself, sucks what?

okay, what about the expression "blows"?

as in "Yankees Blow!" That does not have a sexual beginning - I think it comes from the idea of "blowing chunks". But, the meaning has come to be more sexual and certainly most people, IMO, would read the above statement in a sexual way...

Or as Bart might say, "I didn't think it was physically possible but this both sucks and blows at the same time."

:bart

PaleHoseGeorge
04-30-2002, 06:26 PM
This reminds me of my one and only trip to Grant Park to go to Blues Fest, in 1987. This super gross guy is standing on the lawn, drinking a beer, and on his shirt is the very clever...

As a resident of the South Loop neighborhood through the mid-90's, I became quite an expert evaluating the type of people who came downtown to attend all the lakefront festivals.

The scuzziest people, by far, were the ones attending Blues Fest. Half of them looked like they hadn't bathed in a week. They even made the trampy throngs attending Taste of Chicago look respectable.

The Grateful Dead concertgoers fit every cliche you've ever heard about the 60's. One guy was even camped out on State Street in his VW bus. I'll give you one guess which state the van was registered to.

The scariest crowd? That's easy: the dads dressed up in their Cubs garb taking their kids to the Hilton Towers for the annual Cubs Convention. Everyone of them looked like they were missing a chromesome. And here they are propagating their gene pool.

Terrifying. Simply terrifying.

alohafri
04-30-2002, 06:50 PM

Makes you wonder...

I teach 8th grade and most 8th graders use the word "suck" as a replacement for "stink". Even though that is the most common use for it myself as well, I don't let them use it in class just because it is a bit harsh sounding for an 8th grader to use. (although tame nonetheless based on what I hear in the hallways). Banning those shirts is ridiculous at Safeco Field.

Sparky Lyle wrote on just this subject in "The Bronx Zoo." He said, "I don't know where this "Boston Sucks" thing started, but when you see a ten-year-old kid running around with a shirt that says 'Boston Sucks' on it, somebody's parents ought to have their @** kicked."

I once saw a kid about 13 years old, walking out of Walmart with his dad. The kid was wearing a shirt that spoofed the Trix rabbit that said "Silly (slang for gay rhyming with rabbit), (slang for male member rhyming with hick)s are for chicks." Speaking of some parent who needed to get jack slapped! Liberal, I ain't, but to let your kid wear that shirt in public is unbelievable.

:chimp So is listening to me announce a game.

Kilroy
04-30-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

as in "Yankees Blow!" That does not have a sexual beginning - I think it comes from the idea of "blowing chunks". But, the meaning has come to be more sexual and certainly most people, IMO, would read the above statement in a sexual way...

Or as Bart might say, "I didn't think it was physically possible but this both sucks and blows at the same time."

Come to mean? The phrase "blow job" has been around for quite a while. Longer than the innocent version of "sucks", that's for sure. I can actually still remember when people didn't say "sucks". That would have been in my early high-school years 80-81. But blow job was quite common amongst us walking hormones.

"Blows" is not a derivative of "blows chunks". Its an off-shoot of "sucks" as sucking and blowing are the same thing. Well, you won't hear too many arguments when the lights are off, thats for sure...

Kilroy
04-30-2002, 07:06 PM

That's not what I was saying.

But upon further thought, I have to back off my statement to Kilroy that going from "Yankees suck" to "Yankees suck ****" is a stretch; at one time (maybe in the '50s or '60s), "sucks" probably did mean something truly vulgar along these lines, instead of being (as I look at it now) a more potent version of "stink."

50's or 60's? Come on now. How about early 90's?

Going back to the 50's, calling someone a dork wasn't saying that they were goofy. Back then, if a fella got lucky on a Friday night, he might have had a young lady pay special attention to his dork.

This is the kind of useless information that makes my wife shake her head. She wonders why I can file that kind of stuff away but I can't remember the trash all the time...

Iwritecode
05-01-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

The computer teacher I had during my senior year in high school was a little odd, but still pretty cool. I got along with him pretty good. Anyway, we weren't allowed to say "sucks" we had to say "hoovers" (yes, like the vacuum). That really hoovered... ;)

RedPinStripes
05-01-2002, 12:18 AM
This liberal crap blows!

:chunks!

Mathew
05-01-2002, 02:23 AM
I appologise in advance for the post to follow but I have a friend who used to constantly use the racist expression "Jewed" in the place of the more commonly accepted racist expression "jipped", we didn't like him blaring it in public none the less so we asked him to knock it off because we found it racist and he said that he thought people used it as a synonym for "screwed" or "jipped" because the Jews were screwed over so badly in WWII and he had no idea it was in reference to a racist perception of Jewish cheapness. Sorry for not really having a point but in my opinion Sucks means stinks, I quantify my use of suck for the other meaning by following it with ass or balls ect.
The Tokyo Mariners do Suck though!

Unregistered
05-01-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Mathew
I appologise in advance for the post to follow but I have a friend who used to constantly use the racist expression "Jewed" in the place of the more commonly accepted racist expression "jipped", we didn't like him blaring it in public none the less so we asked him to knock it off because we found it racist and he said that he thought people used it as a synonym for "screwed" or "jipped" because the Jews were screwed over so badly in WWII and he had no idea it was in reference to a racist perception of Jewish cheapness. Sorry for not really having a point but in my opinion Sucks means stinks, I quantify my use of suck for the other meaning by following it with ass or balls ect.

I may be crazy, but i was always under the impression that "jipped" was in reference to gypsies. im pretty sure i remember some reliable source telling me that gypsies were offended by this term...

sox_fan_4life
05-01-2002, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Mathew

It is not called "jewed" because the jews were screwed over in WWII. When it was first started people would say they were "jewed down" meaning that they were taken advantage of in a transaction. Meaning that Jews were cheap and would not give a fair price. It is a durogatory and racist remark.

Kilroy
05-01-2002, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life
It is not called "jewed" because the jews were screwed over in WWII. When it was first started people would say they were "jewed down" meaning that they were taken advantage of in a transaction. Meaning that Jews were cheap and would not give a fair price. It is a durogatory and racist remark.

We used to use that one when we were kids (14 or 15). I said it front of my mom one day and got a backhand across the forehead. I had no clue why. Back then, I had no idea what a Jewish person was, and didn't care. So I certainly didn't know I was saying something that could offend one. Maybe because it was offensive, or maybe because of the back hand, either way, it dropped out of my vocab pretty quickly.

cheeses_h_rice
05-01-2002, 08:08 AM
By the way, the term isn't "jipped," it's "gypped," which as you can see is derived from Gypsy.

So, jewed or gypped, they're both racially/ethnically offensive in their origins, even though I recall many people using "gypped" on TV shows all throughout my youth.

"Aw, Beaver, you got gypped on that taffy apple."

You get the picture...

:D:

Mathew
05-01-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life

I know that was the point of the post was that to him he had no idea it was offensive. I know that "gypped" refered to gypsies, that's why I called it the more commonly accepted racist expression.