PDA

View Full Version : Has the NY media begun the "Willie Randolph Watch"?

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2008, 04:47 PM
I imagine that the New York baseball media is focused more on Hank Steinbrenner trying to be like his father, but has said media put any pressure on Mets manager Willie Randolph? After their September slump last season and not exactly a strong start this sesaon, has the baseball media in the Big Apple been putting pressure on Randolph to start winning? Granted, the Mets are 10-8 and only 1 behind the Marlins coming into today. But in two games against you-know-who this week, the Mets have looked completely flat and did nothing but let the inferior Cubs completely have their way with them. For a team with Santana, Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wright, etc., should they be winning more than they are?

I am not saying that Randolph should be fired, but New York is the last place you want to be a manager and underachieve.

It's Time
04-22-2008, 09:56 PM
the Mets have looked completely flat and did nothing but let the inferior Cubs completely have their way with them. For a team with Santana, Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wright, etc., should they be winning more than they are?

I am not saying that Randolph should be fired, but New York is the last place you want to be a manager and underachieve.

If the bolded word is based on the dislike you have for the Cubs, that would make more sense. Hate to break it to you, but the Cubs are a better team then the Mets.

The only position I would give the Mets a clear edge over them is CF and Beltran is not exactly lighting the world on fire.

As far as Randolph, he is fine unless they don't make the playoffs.

getonbckthr
04-22-2008, 09:58 PM
If the bolded word is based on the dislike you have for the Cubs, that would make more sense. Hate to break it to you, but the Cubs are a better team then the Mets.

The only position I would give the Mets a clear edge over them is CF and Beltran is not exactly lighting the world on fire.

As far as Randolph, he is fine unless they don't make the playoffs.
What about SS (Reyes vs Theriot/Cedeno) and 3B (Wright vs ARAM)?

It's Time
04-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Yes, my bad, Reyes. Wright vs Ramirez is not that big of a gap at all.

The Cubs have a far better pen, 1B, RF, LF, catcher and a better manager.

Rotation wise, possibly a edge to the Mets. That said, they did not belong on the same field with the Cubs the last 2 days.

getonbckthr
04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Yes, my bad, Reyes. Wright vs Ramirez is not that big of a gap at all.

The Cubs have a far better pen, 1B, RF, LF, catcher and a better manager.

Rotation wise, possibly a edge to the Mets. That said, they did not belong on the same field with the Cubs the last 2 days.
I think Wright is hands down better than ARAM.

It's Time
04-22-2008, 10:13 PM
I think Wright is hands down better than ARAM.

Wright is a stud but you'll be hard pressed to find a better hitter then Ramirez at 3B.

TheOldRoman
04-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Wright is a stud but you'll be hard pressed to find a better hitter then Ramirez at 3B.:scratch:I can name several off the top of my head.

Lefty34
04-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Wright is a stud but you'll be hard pressed to find a better hitter then Ramirez at 3B.

Umm...well looking at 2007 there was Chipper Jones (.336/.423/.616), Mike Lowell (.324/.378/.501), David Wright (.323/.415/.546), Miguel Cabrera (.321/.404/.562) and A-Rod (.313/.423/.641). That's not bad company to keep offensively, however this year E-ramis is 7th in the NL and 13th in the MLB, and I certainly wasn't hard-pressed to find those guys. I'm not even going to mention his defensive shortcomings.

It's Time
04-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Umm...well looking at 2007 there was Chipper Jones (.336/.423/.616), Mike Lowell (.324/.378/.501), David Wright (.323/.415/.546), Miguel Cabrera (.321/.404/.562) and A-Rod (.313/.423/.641). That's not bad company to keep offensively, however this year E-ramis is 7th in the NL and 13th in the MLB, and I certainly wasn't hard-pressed to find those guys. I'm not even going to mention his defensive shortcomings.

What I mean is that when all is said and done, FEW 3B will have better numbers then he has. He hits well with RISP and he has done it for 5 straight years.

Not saying he is the best, but he is up there.

Viva Medias B's
04-23-2008, 12:32 AM
The question still stands: Could Willie Randolph find himself on the hot seat?

ksimpson14
04-23-2008, 12:46 AM
It's not that big an issue, it's too early for them to harp on it, especially once they accepted he was coming back this year. If he misses the playoffs this year though, yeah, he's gone.

I like the Mets pitching better. The Cubs might have a better bullpen, but it's more in the 'shortest midget' category. The bullpens don't face each other, so it'd be about how well the starters could do. If Reyes can get back to form, the Mets would have the better offense.

Wright vs Ramirez? Wright is no slug, and they both suck defensively :shrug: The Cubs are better at 1B, maybe 1 OF position, otherwise, I see no glaring advantage for them.

JB98
04-23-2008, 12:52 AM
I think the Diamondbacks will punk both the Mets and the Cubs in the playoffs.

So there.

It's Time
06-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I take back what I said about Randolph, as he is clearly going to be launched if the Mets fall out of contention by the break, which they have just about done.

I think if the Mets stay under .500 and fall just a few more behind (say 10 games), he's gone.

They will be lucky to make the playoffs at this point.

palehozenychicty
06-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I agree about the Mets. They just don't have the elixir of a winning team, although they talk in the press as if they have won multiple titles. It isn't Willie's fault either that he has to work for a clueless GM. Willie himself is not too different from Manuel, in terms of personality or tactical prowess. An excellent player in his day, but he's not a good fit for this club. He'd be better with a young team, although he favors playing old guys.

They have some quality players like Wright, Reyes, Church (when healthy), Maine, and Santana. I even like Chavez coming off the bench. He has ten times the heart of Beltran and Delgado. I still can't believe that Beltran didn't take a swing in Game 7, bottom of the 9th, of the '06 LCS. :o: Nobody in Queens can either.

Everyone else is either heavily overpaid, ancient, or bad. The Mets need some work done.

Tekijawa
06-11-2008, 04:47 PM
T'd also like to have Santana over Zambrano or whoever the "Ace" is now.

I'm glad the NY teams are struggling!