PDA

View Full Version : Best route to USCF from Evanston/North side?

NU Nish 13
04-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I will be driving down to the game tomorrow...normally take the el but I managed to secure a parking pass. I know I would normally take I-94 E, but construction on the Edens is brutal. Any suggestions for an alternative route, or should I just suck it up and take 94?

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Why not take Sheridan until it turns into Lake Shore Drive...or whatever that silly road is called up in your neck of the woods...Im not really sure if its gonna save you much time as opposed to The Edens....

Mr.1Dog
04-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Sheridan is an alternative. Just a heads up, it gets very packed on Sheridan around Loyola and that strip through Rogers Park. Normally, it flows smoothly once you get on the Drive. You might want to also try Green Bay to Ridge to Hollywood/LSD. Even though you have the parking pass, take the train.

russ99
04-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Sheridan is an alternative. Just a heads up, it gets very packed on Sheridan around Loyola and that strip through Rogers Park. Normally, it flows smoothly once you get on the Drive. You might want to also try Green Bay to Ridge to Hollywood/LSD. Even though you have the parking pass, take the train.

Yikes, that stretch of Sheridan is bad at rush hour. Avoid at all costs. Ashland is the best north-south arterial street, but you have to take busy Clark/Chicago to get there. Western/Asbury is another decent option. Both are faster options than Ridge, which is busy and also goes southeast.

I usually pick up the Metra train in downtown Evanston at Davis Street and in 15 minutes you're downtown at Ogilvie. 2 short blocks away is the CTA Green line, which gets you to 35th ITT, a stone's throw from the park.

kjhanson
04-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Not sure where you are in Evanston, but if you're a little bit West, the only reasonable way to get South anymore is to take Crawford. Crawford turns into Pulaski, which leads right onto the Kennedy, just past Irving Park Rd.

From Dempster & Crawford to the Kennedy it's about 15-20 minutes with a pretty consistent traffic flow. I'm sure you can figure out the rest. Everything else is flat brutal.

russ99
04-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Not sure where you are in Evanston, but if you're a little bit West, the only reasonable way to get South anymore is to take Crawford. Crawford turns into Pulaski, which leads right onto the Kennedy, just past Irving Park Rd.

From Dempster & Crawford to the Kennedy it's about 15-20 minutes with a pretty consistent traffic flow. I'm sure you can figure out the rest. Everything else is flat brutal.

That's a really good tip. I'll have to try that. I wonder if it's more packed of late due to the Edens roadwork.

kjhanson
04-22-2008, 02:27 PM
That's a really good tip. I'll have to try that. I wonder if it's more packed of late due to the Edens roadwork.

I work in Lake Forest and live just off the Edens on the far NW side of the city. That was about 50% of why I moved there. Three months later they started that damn construction.

I generally meet up with Crawford at Old Orchard in Skokie and take it all the way down to Lawrence with no problems. On a good day it's 16 minutes; on a bad day it's 20 minutes. Usually 3 of those minutes are stuck waiting for the Dempster stoplight.

bigsoxfan420
04-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Get to LSD. Take LSD S (duh) to I55 S, then to State St south, to which ever road will take you to the appropriate parking lot. That's the way I take and it is quick. Avoid getting on 94 from 55, waste of time and aggrivation.

NU Nish 13
04-22-2008, 04:29 PM
appreciate it guys...

will definitely use the metra --> green line from now on to get to games...the red line can be awful (i normally take the train)

as far as driving, the crawford route seems like a huge timesaver...getting to LSD from evanston could take an hour alone during the evening rush. thanks again

DSpivack
04-22-2008, 05:51 PM
appreciate it guys...

will definitely use the metra --> green line from now on to get to games...the red line can be awful (i normally take the train)

as far as driving, the crawford route seems like a huge timesaver...getting to LSD from evanston could take an hour alone during the evening rush. thanks again

Problem with taking Crawford/Pulaski>whatever to LSD is that you are rather far west. I would say Asbury/Western>Peterson>Ridge>Bryn Mawr to LSD. It gets congested around Ridge, but you'd mostly avoid Ridge and Sheridan which both can get bad during rush hour (especially now since Ridge is closed north of Howard).

That said, growing up in Evanston I hardly ever drove down, almost always took the train. Too bad the El really, really sucks these days. It used to be much better.

Daver
04-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Helicopter.

kninchicago
04-22-2008, 06:39 PM
I'd take Sheridan and instead of curving left when you hit Devon/broadway I'd just stay on broadway then make a left on Hollywood to hid LSD. i lived up that way for a few years and it's faster than taking sheridan through loyola/edgewater.

slavko
04-22-2008, 09:24 PM
I'd take Sheridan and instead of curving left when you hit Devon/broadway I'd just stay on broadway then make a left on Hollywood to hid LSD. i lived up that way for a few years and it's faster than taking sheridan through loyola/edgewater.

Stay off Sheridan, stay off Hollywood, stay on Broadway to Bryn Mawr, then left to LSD. Fact:any and all ways from our neck of the woods to USC on a weeknight is hell.

asg2003ws2005
04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
try this website:

www.whitesox.com

btrain929
04-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Get to LSD. Take LSD S (duh) to I55 S, then to State St south, to which ever road will take you to the appropriate parking lot. That's the way I take and it is quick. Avoid getting on 94 from 55, waste of time and aggrivation.

Bingo.

kninchicago
04-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Stay off Sheridan, stay off Hollywood, stay on Broadway to Bryn Mawr, then left to LSD. Fact:any and all ways from our neck of the woods to USC on a weeknight is hell.

I almost moved back to Rogers Park, I am kinda glad I didn't and the constant driving to anywhere and everywhere is tiring and now expensive.