PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Stadium question

32nd&Wallace
04-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Planning on going there next month? I have heard things about the neighborhood, conflicting things. Some people say around game day the neighborhood is fine and there are a few bars, others say don't wander too far, like four blocks in either direction.

Also, does anyone know what the giant white building is behind the scoreboard. My guess is that it is a government building of some sort. Been there a long time and I have always wondered what it was.

nysox35
04-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Planning on going there next month? I have heard things about the neighborhood, conflicting things. Some people say around game day the neighborhood is fine and there are a few bars, others say don't wander too far, like four blocks in either direction.

Also, does anyone know what the giant white building is behind the scoreboard. My guess is that it is a government building of some sort. Been there a long time and I have always wondered what it was.

I agree that game day around the area is fine. Honestly, if you're worrried - you really don't need to go more than 4 blocks in either direction. Like the Wrigley area, there are tons of places to eat, drink, and buy souveniers right near the stadium.

Southsider101
04-22-2008, 05:09 PM

You should be fine if you stay in the immediate area. It's been about 12 years since I've been there, but there are a few bars and takeout joints which do good business on game days from what I remember.

That big white building beyond right field is the Bronx County Court House, made famous in Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities. Many Bronx politicians have been indicted and brought to trial in that building.

SoxRox
04-22-2008, 05:21 PM
I will also be going to Yankee Stadium to catch a game in June. Does anyone know if there is a decent hotel close to the Stadium?

Thanks,

SoxRox

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2008, 11:14 PM
I will also be going to Yankee Stadium to catch a game in June. Does anyone know if there is a decent hotel close to the Stadium?

Thanks,

SoxRox

I don't think there are any. Stay in Midtown Manhattan and take the subway to the Bronx.

nysox35
04-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Thanks,

SoxRox

Viva is right. Stay in either West Midtown w/ easy access to the D train, or East Midtown w/ easy access to the 4 train. Both are express trains and take you right to the stadium in about 15-20 minutes.

AngryCollins
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM

Thanks,

SoxRox

One does not travel to NY to stay in the Bronx. Stay in Manhattan.

SoxRox
04-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Viva is right. Stay in either West Midtown w/ easy access to the D train, or East Midtown w/ easy access to the 4 train. Both are express trains and take you right to the stadium in about 15-20 minutes.

Thanks for the advice! Will try to find a hotel in these areas.

-SoxRox

JohnTucker0814
04-24-2008, 02:46 PM
You can also stay out in the Meadowlands in New Jersey... it's not far from Manhatten and usually there are buses that take you to grand central station for cheap! Hotels are going to be $100 cheaper in Jersey.

C-Dawg
04-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I think I found the cheapest place in the city, in an industrial area in Queens. To get to the Bronx required a bus ride and two subways.