PDA

View Full Version : How many times a year do you go to the [teal]Shrine[\teal]?

Viva Medias B's
04-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Some of us as Sox fans avoid Wrigley Field like the plague. Others of us may go three times a year for each of the times we play them there. Still some others beyond that may go more than three times a year. Which choice best fits your usual visits per year to the Shrine?

rdwj
04-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Probably once every 2-3 years. It's usually an event of some kind - work or social. I've never purchased tickets there.

SouthPaw72
04-22-2008, 08:03 AM
I have only been to Wrigley 3 times in my whole life. It really is a nice quaint park and it makes me miss OLD COMISKEY :whiner:

Im not a Cub Hater BUT I'll give them a Division Title BUT THAT IS IT!!! That is the one thing we hold over them right now and I'd like to keep it that way. If they ever got to the World Series we'd NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT.

Ava83
04-22-2008, 08:04 AM
I am not sure where my parents went wrong but my brother is a cubs fan. So I take him for his birthday in July. Oh the sacrifices one makes.

Last year a buddy took me with him-that was actually kinda fun...shocker I know. But I think it was who I went with-then I took him to a Sox game. He had a great time there. We are even I guess.

Dan Mega
04-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Many of my friends are Cubs fans and will offer a free ticket to me. I'll go, its baseball and free.

alohafri
04-22-2008, 08:09 AM
I have gone once a year for the past few years to cheer on the Sox.

Mr.1Dog
04-22-2008, 08:15 AM
My girlfriend is a Cubs fan and always takes me to Sox v. Cubs. I will also check out a Cards game there if she offers.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Once or twice a year, depending on when my buddy gets some of his boss' season tickets.

doublem23
04-22-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't think I've been to Wrigley since 1999 or so... Probably going again this summer.

soxfan21
04-22-2008, 08:51 AM
The only time that I have ever been there was once last year because my cubs fan buddy was getting tired of goin to the Cell, and wanted me to "experience" wrigley. I told him I would only go if everything was paid for because I did not want any of my money goin towards the cubs. It was nothing special for me going there, if anything it made me realize how spoiled we are as sox fans for having such a nice park with all of the amenities that it has and all of the great sightlines that the park has as well.

johnr1note
04-22-2008, 08:55 AM
The very first MLB game I attended was at Wrigley Field, against the Houston Colt 45s. (You can probably guestimate my old age). I rarely attended after that (as my Dad had Sox season tix) and last set foot in the Urinal in 1989.

I was always struck by how small the place looked when compared to the image conveyed on television.

I may return this year, as a vendor has offered to take me to a game or two. I promised him I would behave myself, but that I could never, in good conscience, cheer for the Cubs.

white sox bill
04-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Sunshine,baseball,bikini-clad girls,a cubs defeat...all sound good to me!

white sox bill
04-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Did I mention bikini-clad girls?

skottyj242
04-22-2008, 09:16 AM
I go once or twice a year. My old boss had season tickets and would take me to see the Phillies of the Padres. They didn't like me when I wore my Marlins hat when I went in 2004.

soxfan13
04-22-2008, 09:31 AM
I go once or twice a year. My old boss had season tickets and would take me to see the Phillies of the Padres. They didn't like me when I wore my Marlins hat when I went in 2004.

Is Phillies of the Padres some new team. Where do they choose to play their home games or do they split time:tongue:

Uncle_Patrick
04-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Last time I went was for a Cubs/Sox game in '06. I'll go for a work function or a bachelor party or if someone has tickets and the White Sox are playing and someone has tickets. I'd never plan a trip there, myself.

chisoxfanatic
04-22-2008, 09:42 AM
I've only gone to Wrigley once, a loss to the Pirates in 1999. I probably won't again. My money goes to attending Sox games.

WSox597
04-22-2008, 09:43 AM
The last time I was there was 1966. And it was to see Willy Mays and Juan Marichal play.

It just happened to be against the Cubs. :tongue:

palehozenychicty
04-22-2008, 09:49 AM
The last time I visited there was 1995 with my dad, whose a Cubs fan (yet he took me to Sox games as a kid). :scratch: I think they played the Pirates.

Risk
04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd only go to that dump if the Sox were playing the cute and cuddlies.

Risk

I want Mags back
04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Last year's Cubs/Sox saturday game was the first time I had been their in maybe 5-6 years.

pdimas
04-22-2008, 09:54 AM
I usually make it to about 3 or 4 games a year. My friends get together for the opener every year which is fun because I see a lot of faces I havent seen in a while then we hit the bars up because we have friends that either own or work at nearby bars. After that I usually make it to at least one but usually 2 Sox/Cubs games. Last year I scored some seats 10 rows behind home plate (I had better seats than Ozzie's kids :tongue:) for face. After that I usually will go to a game to see certain players for example going to see the Astros when they had Clemens and he pitched against the Cubs ( I had wanted to go see Edinson Volquez with the Reds this past week but didn't have time to go I was gonna wear this http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-1776348t130.gif which I am sure would have confused a lot of Cubs fans. :cool:) .

jenn2080
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
I usually go about 3-4 times a year. Baseball is baseball. I would not be caught dead in the bleachers though. Did it once and I will never do it again.

pdimas
04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Oh and my dad refuses to go there ever since he was a young man and had taken my grandparents there. It seems he got into a pretty bad car accident leaving the park and has not gone back there since.

KenBerryGrab
04-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Last time I was there was the umpire's strike in '79. My best friend's dad was a top amateur ump and worked a game at Wrigley. (Yeah, a scab.)

We had great complimentary seats behind home plate. First (and only) time I ever cheered for the ump. "Yeah, DeJesus, that was a strike, pal!"

Scottzilla
04-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Twice. One in 96 or 95 for city high school baseball playoffs Lane tech vs clemente i think.
Went to a cubs - Sox game in 06 I think. We were sitting right behind the upperdeck camera well on the left field side. Man my knees were killing me that day.
I'd say thats the best way to 'experience' wrigley tho, If they still do it. they used to alternate between uscf and wrigley for the city championship game. and I dont think the cubs get any money from the deal.
Oh and I dont think I'll ever go again.

kobo
04-22-2008, 11:05 AM
I go 2-3 times a year, and always for free. I would never intentionally buy a ticket for a game there, even when they play the Sox, I always manage to score a free ticket.

skottyj242
04-22-2008, 11:10 AM
My dad has never been and never will step foot in there. He gets on me for the once or twice I go a year.

PatK
04-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Once or twice. I never pay for the ticket.

It's baseball and free, and I won't pass that up. But I really hate that since there is no tailgating, if I want to eat and have a few pops, I end up spending a small fortune.

Cat Thief
04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
The wife and I were given 4 box seats last year for the Cubs/Sox.

I gave them away. No way do I step foot in that ****hole.

Rooftop maybe.

The Critic
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I usually go there around 5 times a season, but this year isn't shaping up to be a very good baseball-watching year for me so far.
I'm only due to go there once this year.
I'm only going to USCF three times this year for sure.
:whiner:

Hitmen77
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I haven't been there since the late 90s. I already "experienced" that park numerous times before then and had my fill of poor sightlines, obstructed views, awful bathrooms, the frat boy/trixie atmosphere, and the "we are the center of the universe" attitude of Cub fans.

I have zero interest in contributing to the Cubs' popularity or giving any of my money to the Cubs to help them buy more free agents. As with any other product I don't like, my patronage alone isn't even noticable to them - but it's the principle of giving money to a product I don't not support.

I hate the Cubs/Sox games - so I'm not interested in going to one of those games at either park.

Nellie_Fox
04-22-2008, 11:33 AM
My last Wrigley "experience" was in 1963. It was a dump then. It's 45 years older now.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-22-2008, 11:41 AM
The last time I was there was 1966. And it was to see Willy Mays and Juan Marichal play.

It just happened to be against the Cubs. :tongue:
That's about the same time I went to my only game there to see Koufax pitch. It just happened to be the Cubs he one hit that day.:smile:

That was before the Cubune marketing machine. The upper deck was closed and there were about 7,000 people there.

JB98
04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Zero.

I refuse to spend one cent of my money at Wrigley Field.

whitesoxwilkes
04-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Baseball is baseball, beer is beer. I'll go 3-4 times a year.

TDog
04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
My grandfather took me to a Cubs game in 1969. It was supposed to be a Sunday game. Rain postponed it and turned it into a Monday game that justified pulling me out of school. My grandfather took me to one, perhaps two more Cubs games. Ernie Banks was still active. My aunt took me to a Cubs game in 1972, I think. I didn't think the ballpark was anything special at the time. I didn't like the team that made their home there and saw no reason to go back when I got older.

asindc
04-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Now that's just wrong!:D:

asindc
04-22-2008, 03:08 PM
The last time I visited there was 1995 with my dad, whose a Cubs fan (yet he took me to Sox games as a kid). :scratch: I think they played the Pirates.

My dad did the same with my brother and me, even though he's a Cubs fan. I guess that's why I don't hate them as much as I find them annoying.

gogosox16
04-22-2008, 03:17 PM
never been there but I believe i'm going this year for the first time.

Chrisaway
04-22-2008, 03:24 PM
I haven't been there since '98 and I'd never pay to go there but If my buddies scored some tix or something I'd probably go.

FourStarsTwoBars
04-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I've been 3 times that I remember.
Last was in 2003 when they got blown out by the Pirates like 9-1 thanks to Antonio Alfonseco walking in some runs during the 8 run 8th. Kenny Lofton was on a hit streak but sat the game "because he is afraid of Mark Prior" said my friend who brought me.

soxwon
04-22-2008, 06:43 PM
1-2 times, my aunt is an old season ticket holder for the cubs, she gives me two tickets a year to one of sox-cubs games there, she has great seats.
ill prob go to another game in the summer, when we are on the road.
i simply go for the sun and to see the cubs get beat.

MarySwiss
04-22-2008, 06:49 PM
My last Wrigley "experience" was in 1963. It was a dump then. It's 45 years older now.
EXACTLY! A friend of mine who's a Tigers fan forwarded one of my e-mails calling that dump a dump to a "diehard" Cub fan of his acquaintance. In my e-mail, I said I hadn't been inside Wrigley in probably 15 years, but at that time, it was decrepit and smelled like piss. The "diehard" e-mailed back and told me I should revisit because I would probably find the park much changed. My response? It was decrepit 15 years ago, and I doubt it has improved with age.

Typical delusional Cub fan.

HebrewHammer
04-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Zero. I live in Asia. It's a tough commute.

Railsplitter
04-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I never go to that dump at Clark and Addison.

manders_01
04-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Some of us as Sox fans avoid Wrigley Field like the plague. Others of us may go three times a year for each of the times we play them there. Still some others beyond that may go more than three times a year. Which choice best fits your usual visits per year to the Shrine?

That would be me.

ChiSoxGirl
04-22-2008, 09:15 PM
I haven't gone since 1990 and have no intention of setting foot in that hole anytime soon... not even if the Sox are playing there. In fact, I've turned down tickets for Sox/Cubs games because they were at Clark & Addison. If I want to see the Sox play the Cubs (and at this point, the novelty has worn off), I know plenty of people who could get me tickets on the south side for those games.

Vestigio
04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I've been to Wrigley about 8 or 9 times, with the last game I attended was in 2002 against the Rockies.

Now before you start to say anything, my grade school would have an annual field trip to Wrigley for students in grades 4 through 8. I asked my principal a couple of times why we couldn't go to Sox games. His reason why we didnt go to Sox games was because of the neighborhood. The real reason why we didnt go was because the principal was a Cubs fan, and couldn't stand the Sox.

The other 3 to 4 times I went, my dad got free Cubs tickets from guys he works with, so he would take my younger brothers and I to the game. Right now I have no desire at all to go to Wrigley. I don't even want to attend a Sox/Cubs game at the Cell.

DaBears
04-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Though I prefer to stay far far away from Wrigley and Wrigleyville, I will make an occasional trip there. I didnt go for 3 years, then last year I went with friends for 2 games (1st 2 home games of the year).

This year I am going for a friends bday (his gf bought us all bleacher tickets).... luckily it is vs. the Brew Crew and I will be sporting my Brewers hat and cheering as if I were born and bred in the Cheeseland lol... I'm also going to the Cubs-Sox game, since a friend is coming to town and he has never been to Wrigley (he's a Phoenician and a 'die hard' Cub fan)

TDog
04-23-2008, 12:33 PM
I've been to Wrigley about 8 or 9 times, with the last game I attended was in 2002 against the Rockies.

Now before you start to say anything, my grade school would have an annual field trip to Wrigley for students in grades 4 through 8. I asked my principal a couple of times why we couldn't go to Sox games. His reason why we didnt go to Sox games was because of the neighborhood. The real reason why we didnt go was because the principal was a Cubs fan, and couldn't stand the Sox.

The other 3 to 4 times I went, my dad got free Cubs tickets from guys he works with, so he would take my younger brothers and I to the game. Right now I have no desire at all to go to Wrigley. I don't even want to attend a Sox/Cubs game at the Cell.

You probably could have gotten out of going on the field trips on religious grounds. A note from your mother indicating that going to Wrigley Field violated your religion as a Sox fan would have required the school to accommodate you.

Being taken to Wrigley Field by family members is just one of those things that happened to a lot of kids.

kaufsox
04-23-2008, 12:55 PM
meh, maybe once a year. Someone always is desperate to give away a ticket.

Sad
04-23-2008, 01:13 PM
5-8 times a season...

Vestigio
04-23-2008, 01:15 PM
You probably could have gotten out of going on the field trips on religious grounds. A note from your mother indicating that going to Wrigley Field violated your religion as a Sox fan would have required the school to accommodate you.

Lmao. That would have been blasphemous at my christian grade school :smile:

During those field trip games, I was trying my best to act like Cub fans. Talking to my friends for the entire game without paying attention to whats happening on the field

Sad
04-23-2008, 01:16 PM
I would not be caught dead in the bleachers though.

now that's an entirely different story for sure...

I'll pass on that one :rolleyes:

Juice16
04-23-2008, 02:30 PM
I haven't been there in 10 years. The last time I was there, I sat in the bleachers and after the game every ******* with a beer threw it forward. I left the game soaking wet and reeking like beer.

MUsoxfan
04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
1-3 times a year. A have a couple friends that are true hardcore Cubs fans and if they have an extra ticket they'll invite me

sullythered
04-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Four times in my life, three of which were Sox/Cubs.

cbrownson13
04-23-2008, 03:46 PM
I usually go 2-3 times a year. My best friend and roommate is a Cubs fan and he always goes to Sox games with me and I will go to Cubs games with him.

It is actually pretty fun for me. I enjoy the Wrigley experience once in a while. I am by no means a Cubs fan, but not a Cubs hater either.

I enjoy watching baseball in any venue and usually I get the tickets for free.

Went to my first day/night Cubs/Sox double header yesterday. Parked at the Cell, rode the El to Wrigley for the Cubs/Mets game than rode the El back, tailgated, and went to the Sox/Yankees game. Fun, but a very long day of booze and dogs.

Interestingly enough, the Cubs don't allow you to smoke at all. Where the Cell has outdoor area for it, Wrigley cannot because in almost all areas of the ballpark, 15ft away from the entrance would be in the street.

Luckily for me (since I smoke) my roommate had about 8 extra tickets that his boss gave him so we just used those to have smoke breaks.

twsoxfan5
04-23-2008, 03:58 PM
My dad has never been and never will step foot in there. He gets on me for the once or twice I go a year.

My Dad is the same way. He has never gone into Wrigley and says that he wants to be able to tell people that he lived his whole life in Chicago and has never stepped foot inside. My sister and I are carrying on the tradition and have both never been inside. I look at it this way: I don't like the Cubs but I also don't care to root against them, so for me what is the point.

Gavin
04-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Baseball is baseball, beer is beer. I'll go 3-4 times a year.

My sentiments exactly. But probably 1-2 at the most, hopefully. Living in the North side makes it slightly more convenient for a spur of the moment type of thing...

SoxGirl4Life
04-25-2008, 12:40 PM
My Dad is the same way. He has never gone into Wrigley and says that he wants to be able to tell people that he lived his whole life in Chicago and has never stepped foot inside. My sister and I are carrying on the tradition and have both never been inside. I look at it this way: I don't like the Cubs but I also don't care to root against them, so for me what is the point.

I had to go -once (in 2005 of all years!). It was a work thing. I was forced to go. It made me very sad. I, too, was proud to have never stepped foot inside of it. But --I just prayed that my dad forgave me!

LITTLE NELL
04-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Have not been there since 1980. As a kid growing up in Rogers Park in the late 50s and early 60s a bunch of us (4 or5) would go quite a bit. We were all Sox fans except one. We would go because we were too young to go down to Comiskey night games. It was cheap, easy for us to get to and we could sit just about anywhere we wanted and root against the Cubs.15,000 was big crowd at Wrigley in those days. Weekday games usually drew 5 to 6,000. You also could get a free ticket if you picked up seat cushions after the game. I think the 1st game I went to Sox park without an adult was 1960 for a Sat matinee against the Orioles, I was 14 and after I turned 15 we went to just about every Friday night home game

Sox It To Em
04-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Never have, never will.

BRDSR
04-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Oh and my dad refuses to go there ever since he was a young man and had taken my grandparents there. It seems he got into a pretty bad car accident leaving the park and has not gone back there since.

He didn't use a promotional mini-bat giveaway to put a dent in someone's car, did he? Because, you know, that would explain why he hasn't been back.

LongLiveFisk
04-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I haven't been there since 1996. If I never go back, I'll be very ok with that!

C-Dawg
04-27-2008, 07:49 PM
That was before the Cubune marketing machine. The upper deck was closed and there were about 7,000 people there.

I went there a few times as a little kid during that era. I remember wanting to go up to the upper deck and see what the view was like but there was no one there; I don't remember if they had some sort of barricade or what.

One time, my parents sprung for very good seats not too far behind first base but they turned out to be awful since the view was obstructed the whole game by people walking around. My parents have not been back since.

I've only been there twice as an adult.

soxfanreggie
04-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Have been there once in my life. I will never pay for tickets there and will probably only return when they play the Sox or on business, which then cannot be avoided.