PDA

View Full Version : What we need, who we can trade, and who's available

beausox
04-29-2002, 08:16 PM
First off, I don't think we'll see a deal come down until it gets closer to the trading deadline because we have a good enough team to keep us in contention till then and the last thing we want to do is overpay for a pitcher now. If, and thats a big if, Biddle, Wunsch, and Parque return from injury and are as successful as in the past, we may not need to make a trade at all. With those two thoughts in mind here is who available at the positions we need to shore up and what we might have to trade to get them.

Scott Erickson-He's older and coming off an injury. He has pitched well this year and has had a lot of success in the past. Baltimore's system is weak and we have fleeced them twice before (CJ and Willie Harris). One possible deal-
Scott Erickson for Rocky Biddle and Josh Paul (thats how bad they need a catcher).

Esteban Yan-we could use another reliever. Yan is young (27), he's cheap, and in his short career he has started, relieved, and closed games. He would cost more to get because he is a closer now. One possible deal-Esteban Yan and Aubrey Huff (who is a good prospect that the D-Rays have buried) for Jeff Leifer (who woudl start at third for them), Lorenzo Barcelo, and Yan (the prospect we picked up in the Marte deal).

Scott Shoenweis-Anaheim is willing to trade him, he's fairly young (28), and also has been successful as a long relief guy. he's basically another Lowe or Glover. Anaheim really needs some power. One possible deal Leifer for Shoenweis

Jesus Sanchez-I gotta think that a guy liek Lieber is not available (unless we trade a guy like Crede, which I would not do). Sanchez can also start or relieve. He is also younger (28). He wouldn't carry us to the playoffs but he can be a very useful part of a good team. One possible deal- Jesus Sanchez for Lorenzo Barcelo

Any of these guys are better than Mike Porzio. If we had to trade Liefer, Canseco could provide the same power off the bench.

Daver
04-29-2002, 08:18 PM
Rocky Biddle gave up one run in four innings,with 6 K's and one walk in his first rehab start in Charlotte.

OfficerKarkovice
04-29-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by daver
Rocky Biddle gave up one run in four innings,with 6 K's and one walk in his first rehab start in Charlotte.

Soon daver...very soon...I hear Rock coming :D:

Chisox_cali
04-29-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by daver

Man that is great to hear!!! Unlike Butter's Peanut Butter and Jelly outings :D:

BuehrleACE56
04-29-2002, 10:00 PM

That is awesome to hear! Rocky had some rough outings when he started last year but out of the bullpen he was almost untouchable. I'd like to see him come up once he is healthy and maybe Parque (unless he gets his act together) or Porzio (whom is steadily declining in production) go down. You gotta love the sideburns. Go Rocky Biddle!

MattSharp
04-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Hmm, to be honest other than Erickson I don't know if I would want any of those guys. None of them are all that proven and I don't think it's really the answer? Yan is pretty decent, but he has become a closer now, and the Sox already have a closer and setup man. Also Schoenweis is a starter isnt he? I think we have more than enough starters as it is.

I wouldn't mind having Erickson, but I don't think Sanchez, Shoenweis, or Yan are answers......but thats just me......