PDA

View Full Version : Steinbrenner wants Joba in the rotation

EMachine10
04-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Hank Steinbrenner wants Joba in the rotation, claiming a guy who throws like him isn't supposed to be in the set-up role. Cashman seems pretty adamant on keeping Joba where he is right now, but with Hughes and Kennedy struggling, a move may not seem like such a bad idea.

turners56
04-21-2008, 07:38 PM
A tough dilemma for Girardi...Yankees aren't playing great baseball, Hughes has been bad, so has Kennedy. I guess putting Joba in the rotation isn't the worst idea. However, if it ain't broke...don't fix it. Joba is obviously one of the top relief pitchers in the league (non-closer). Maybe it's worth an experiment, but I'd keep Chamberlain in that crappy bullpen and hope Kennedy and Hughes turn out well.

Boondock Saint
04-21-2008, 07:52 PM
I agree with Hank here. Joba's already shown that he can get guys out in the short term (bullpen), while Hughes and Kennedy haven't shown much of anything outside of the minor leagues. Joba deserves a shot at helping fix their mediocre/bad rotation.

sox1970
04-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Hank's not going to be happy in a few days. :cool:

turners56
04-21-2008, 08:01 PM
I agree with Hank here. Joba's already shown that he can get guys out in the short term (bullpen), while Hughes and Kennedy haven't shown much of anything outside of the minor leagues. Joba deserves a shot at helping fix their mediocre/bad rotation.

I think what Hank is forgetting is that Chamberlain hasn't actually started a game in almost a year. There's a transition period from throwing 1 inning to throwing 6-7.

Boondock Saint
04-21-2008, 09:35 PM
I think what Hank is forgetting is that Chamberlain hasn't actually started a game in almost a year. There's a transition period from throwing 1 inning to throwing 6-7.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think that the Yankees coaches should have been in spring training getting Joba ready for a spot in the rotation. He's (arguably) the most promising of their 3 young pitching prospects, and he's left waiting for his shot while Hughes and Kennedy are hemorrhaging runs.

turners56
04-21-2008, 09:57 PM
I agree with what you're saying, but I think that the Yankees coaches should have been in spring training getting Joba ready for a spot in the rotation. He's (arguably) the most promising of their 3 young pitching prospects, and he's left waiting for his shot while Hughes and Kennedy are hemorrhaging runs.

If I were a Yankees fan, I'd shiver in fear that the ex-Cubs of LaTroy Hawkins and Kyle Farnsworth will screw up the set-up role and lose the Yankees more games than Kennedy and Hughes have cost them so far.

palehozenychicty
04-22-2008, 09:38 AM

They were doing this in Florida but they decided at the eleventh hour to keep him a reliever for the first part of the season, assuming their offense could carry them throughout the first half. Once they start hitting AFTER this series, the young guys can relax and he'll slide into the rotation when the Moose gets cooked tomorrow.