PDA

View Full Version : Ever Been to a Doubleheader

Hitmenof77
04-21-2008, 05:30 PM
I know they aren't scheduled anymore, but have you ever been to a doubleheader?

Growing up they still scheduled DH but I never went.

FedEx227
04-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Never :(:
Went to the day part of a day-night in the past couple of years but never a for-real double header.

Foulke You
04-21-2008, 05:40 PM
I went to a twi-night double header with my Dad against the Rangers in the 1999 season. It was late in the year and one of the games was a rescheduled rain out. I remember we had a great time as the Sox won both games and the first game was one of Kip Wells first starts if memory serves. I remember thinking how promising he looked.:rolleyes: (He was 4W-1L in '99 after being called up so that was the source of the optimism)

They don't seem to schedule twi-nighters anymore even for rainouts. It is usually a day-night double header where the ballpark empties out to allow two seperate gates.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes...many times.

And generally BOTH games were over in six hours (and that includes the 30 minute break between games.)

Lip

twentywontowin
04-21-2008, 05:46 PM
May 1, 2004. Blue Jays vs. Sox. Night before was rained out. Had tickets for the May 1 game which was a 7:00pm start, and ended up going there for the afternoon make-up.

One of the Blue Jays batters went 6-6 against us too in the second game. I forget who it was though.

whitesoxwilkes
04-21-2008, 05:49 PM
May 1, 2004. Blue Jays vs. Sox. Night before was rained out. Had tickets for the May 1 game which was a 7:00pm start, and ended up going there for the afternoon make-up.

One of the Blue Jays batters went 6-6 against us too in the second game. I forget who it was though.

Frank Catalanotto.

twentywontowin
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Frank Catalanotto.

You are correct sir. Thank you.

I also remember it was raining and cold that day as well and I froze solid.

MarySwiss
04-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Plenty of them, back in the day. Lots of fun!

cheezheadsoxfan
04-21-2008, 06:15 PM
I remember going to double headers against the Yankees as a kid. Billy Pierce and Whitey Ford always seemed to be pitching. It was great. I also have a vague memory of Gary Peters coming in as a pinch hitter and winning the game at a doublheader.

goofymsfan
04-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Been to two at Safeco Field surprisingly enough. Also I tend to schedule my own double headers occasionally. It's nice when the Mariners have an afternoon Saturday game and the Tacoma Rainiers have a Saturday Night game...This year I get three of those!!

anewman35
04-21-2008, 06:26 PM

I was there too. I recall the place was empty when the first game started, we got seats outside at the Bullpen Sports Bar without any sort of line or anything. We left about halfway through the second game, because as I recall the weather was miserable and so were the Sox.

kittle42
04-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I'll be doing the crosstown doubleheader tomorrow. Unfortunately, I have to work early Wednesday, so I should be pretty calmed down by the end of the Sox game!

Frater Perdurabo
04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
In 1991 my friend and his dad (both are Cubs fans) took me and another friend to a meaningless late-season Cubs-Expos Sunday afternoon double-header (the Cubs had suffered several days of rainouts). It was drizzly and cold. We had lower deck seats behind first base, and Chicago Bears WR Glen Kozlowski (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KozlGl00.htm) was there (the Bears won that incredible MNF OT game against the Jets the next night). In the first inning of Game 2, Hector Villanueva crushed a mile-high HR to left field. It was so high, we thought it was a popup. The Expos won both games.

Hendu
04-21-2008, 07:58 PM
yes. Back in 2000 I saw the Sox drop both games to the Mariners. And in 2004 I went to Pittsburgh to check out PNC over Memorial Day weekend, when Rob Mackowiack hit a walk-off slam in the 9th inning of the first game, and a game-tying homer in the 9th of the second game (which the Pirates won an inning later). Against the Cubs of course. :D:

chisox77
04-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes, against the Texas Rangers in 1980. It was a Twi-nite doubleheader. The White Sox earned the split by winning the second game. There must have been about 20 fights in the stands, because Sox Security (remember those yellow windbreakers) was all over the place, blowing those whistles, trying to separate a lot of loud, drunk fans. This was during the time that fans could bring their own into the ballpark, and buy endless rounds of beer in the park. And of course, it was at Old Comiskey.

:cool:

TDog
04-21-2008, 08:11 PM
I had a Sunday season ticket plan when I was in high school in the early '70s. Sunday doubleheaders were the norm back in the day. The big promotional days, like Bat Day, were usually doubleheader Sundays. Then there were the twi-night doubleheaders, which teams scheduled. I only visited Forbes Field once, in August 1969, but it was for a twi-night doubleheader against the Dodgers. I loved spending the entire day or entire night at the ballpark. One April Sunday when I was 12, after the Sox lost 5-2 to the Brewers, my mother decided it was too cold to wait 25 minutes for the second game to start, so I watched the Brewers beat the Sox 16-2 back home on channel 32.

Sundays and holidays were often planned for doubleheaders to attract people from out of town with more baseball for their money. The most expensive seat at old Comiskey was $3.50 in 1970, and gas was priced at not much more than 30 cents a gallon, so taking the family to the ballpark from downstate could get expensive, I guess.

It's odd that, according to what I've read, the Ernie Banks statue has "let's play two" written on it when the Cubs no longer schedule doubleheaders and when they do play two to make up a postponed game, they charge people separate admissions for each game.

C-Dawg
04-21-2008, 08:27 PM

I was there for those too. Mark Buehrle in Game 1 and Dan Wright in Game 2.

Prior to that, the last double-header I remember being at was in 1993 against the Rangers; had the Sox swept the day they would have clinched. It too was a re-scheduled rainout.

I know I went to a few scheduled double-headers when I was a kid; the only one that stands out was against the Cardinals at Wrigley Field. It was Jack Brickhouse's 5000th (or something) career broadcast, and they had a special ceremony between games, featuring Governor Thompson and Mayor Byrne speaking from a podium on the field. I don't remember much about the games however.

Lip Man 1
04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Among the DH's I saw was the famous Dick Allen "Taco Game" June 4, 1972... a pair against the Yankees.

Lip

Jerko
04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
I think it was 77, Sox vs. A's. A's wore yellow one game and green the next IIRC. I was at one vs. Texas (I think the game that Ozzie and Little hurt went back to back against Ryan was part of a DH), I was at the last Blue Jays one, and I think there was another Texas one in there. Went to game 1 of the Twins debacle last year, and even though that was a day nighter, the first game went so long, the crowd for game 2 was showing up as we were leaving.

ChiSoxGirl
04-21-2008, 10:03 PM
I've been to three since 2004, and the best I've seen the Sox do is split.

chisoxmike
04-21-2008, 10:31 PM
I went to the day game of the massacre the Twins handed down on our Sox last year. I had tickets to the night game, but I went out and drank heavily instead.

DumpJerry
04-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Been to a bunch in my time. I recall a certain one in the late '70's were we got in for $.98 and the second game was forfeited to the Tigers for reasons which escape me right now.........:rolleyes:

hose
04-21-2008, 10:46 PM
I've been to quite a few double headers, it was a big deal back in the day.

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-21-2008, 10:55 PM
I was at the Sox Twins DH last year :angry:. Wow was that painful.

Parrothead
04-21-2008, 11:06 PM

To whoever has not been to a scheduled DH, that is too bad they were great and damn I am getting old. Kinda forgot there are people who don't know that there were DH scheduled.:o:

My favorite was at Old Comiskey....Banner Day. They would have a "parade" and let people show all thier banners. Classic. I loved "Washington slept here" and "Go to hell Claudell" and "Willie (Wilson), Coke is it"

manders_01
04-21-2008, 11:20 PM
I went to the day game of the massacre the Twins handed down on our Sox last year. I had tickets to the night game, but I went out and drank heavily instead.

I was at the day game too. The only Sox game I was able to go to last season. I so wanted it to end differently. :whiner:

Nellie_Fox
04-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Lots. It was a great bargain.

FedEx227
04-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Been to a bunch in my time. I recall a certain one in the late '70's were we got in for $.98 and the second game was forfeited to the Tigers for reasons which escape me right now.........:rolleyes:

I absolutely trust that you were there, but it is funny to me that about 97,000 people attended that game if you listen to all the stories about it. Every single person between the ages of 17-30 (at that time) apparently was there.

MiamiSpartan
04-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Went to several when I was a kid....loved them!

PKalltheway
04-22-2008, 01:11 AM
Went to see a Giants/Pirates doubleheader at PNC Park last August. Pirates won game 1 in just 1 hour and 51 minutes (Tom Gorzelanny complete game) and the Bucs got crushed in the second game. All in all, I had a blast.:smile:

Hitmenof77
04-22-2008, 01:41 AM
When was the last time the Sox had a scheduled DH?

WSox597
04-22-2008, 06:03 AM
The last time I went to a DH was in 1977 against the Royals.

Long day, but a good time. We did leave a tad early, like the 7th inning of game two.

hose
04-22-2008, 06:42 AM
The last time I went to a DH was in 1977 against the Royals.

Long day, but a good time. We did leave a tad early, like the 7th inning of game two.

I seem to recall going to a Sunday DH against KC in 1977 . I want to say it was bat day also, but not 100% sure. The park was packed to the rafters and there was plenty of bad blood between the clubs.

rdwj
04-22-2008, 06:56 AM
I've been to several double-headers. Growing up, those were the only games that peaked my step-dad's interest for some reason. It sucked going with him, because we'd never get there until the 3rd or 4th inning of the first game and he ALWAYS wanted to leave by the 7th of the second game to beat traffic.

October26
04-22-2008, 08:15 AM
To whoever has not been to a scheduled DH, that is too bad they were great and damn I am getting old. Kinda forgot there are people who don't know that there were DH scheduled.:o:

My favorite was at Old Comiskey....Banner Day. They would have a "parade" and let people show all thier banners. Classic. I loved "Washington slept here" and "Go to hell Claudell" and "Willie (Wilson), Coke is it"

Yes, I attended lots of double headers in the 1970's. Thank you for bringing up Banner Day at old Comiskey. I loved going to games on Banner Day and seeing all the creative signs Sox fans would come up with. The parade was really cool too - wish the Sox did something like this now. Banner day was a tradition that died with Old Comiskey Park. :whiner:

KenBerryGrab
04-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Last one I went to was really depressing. The Sox played the Brewers at County, and our guys were leading until the ninth. Frank dropped a ball that would have been the last out; it was right there, hit his glove and just fell out. Brewers went on to rally and win.

They killed the Sox in the second game, not even close.

This was the summer of the Macarena, and they did that damn thing all day long. Ugh.

bigsoxfan420
04-22-2008, 09:11 AM
I went to a make-up double header a couple of years ago. I was awesome. I sat right behind the Sox dugout for the first game (attendance was low) and my seat in left (behind the bulpen) for the second. It was against the Twins (I think) Garland pitched the first game, can't remember who pitched the second. If I remember correctly they won both. It think it was back in 2005.

MarySwiss
04-22-2008, 09:24 AM

I was at one of those with my brother. We had a banner and got to be in the parade. I still think we should have won. :?:

Some kids had a banner that read "Ed Short is a Bum." They didn't win, either.

AZChiSoxFan
04-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Doubleheaders are one of my favorite things in life. Unfortunately for me, the days of scheduled DH's were long gone by the time I became an adult. I have had the great fortune to attend two of them in my life and by strange coincidence, both of them were the Sox at the Rangers. Especially wierd since I had never lived in Texas. The first one was on Aug 17, 1990. Game one that night went 13 innings and the Sox lost 1-0. Nolan Ryan was outstanding that night for the Rangers. In game two, Fisk hit a milestone homerun (although for the life of me, I can't remember what milestone it was :redface:). The second DH I attended was in late August 2005. The Sox lost game one, then won game 2 behind an outstanding effort from B-Mac and IIRC, two homers by Dye.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-22-2008, 09:31 AM
For my 16th birthday my dad got me some Sox tickets so on August 27, 1993 I got to see a twin bill appropriately enough against the Twins. They split the two games. But I do remember in the first game Bo Jackson hit a mammoth HR off Jim Deshaies.

bigsoxfan420
04-22-2008, 09:44 AM
The second DH I attended was in late August 2005. The Sox lost game one, then won game 2 behind an outstanding effort from B-Mac and IIRC, two homers by Dye.

That is the one I was talking about.

asg2003ws2005
04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Doubleheaders are one of my favorite things in life. Unfortunately for me, the days of scheduled DH's were long gone by the time I became an adult. I have had the great fortune to attend two of them in my life and by strange coincidence, both of them were the Sox at the Rangers. Especially wierd since I had never lived in Texas. The first one was on Aug 17, 1990. Game one that night went 13 innings and the Sox lost 1-0. Nolan Ryan was outstanding that night for the Rangers. In game two, Fisk hit a milestone homerun (although for the life of me, I can't remember what milestone it was :redface:). The second DH I attended was in late August 2005. The Sox lost game one, then won game 2 behind an outstanding effort from B-Mac and IIRC, two homers by Dye.who's that?

AZChiSoxFan
04-22-2008, 10:27 AM
who's that?

Brandon McCarthy. He pitched pretty well in limited action for the Sox, the last half of 2005. He was later traded to the Rangers for Danks and Massett.

pdimas
04-22-2008, 10:50 AM
I met my gf at last years Sox/Yankees DH which was the result of a rained out game. I met her in the first game and asked if she wanted to stay for the second one. I bought her a ticket, we tailgated for the second time that day, went to the game and now she is a season ticket holder. :tongue:

skottyj242
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
I've been to a few but they were all because of rain outs. I went to one that was against the Orioles a few years ago on a Thursday, it was Dollar Dog Day and the games were back to back. Probably put down about 12 of them. I believe Felix Diaz pitched the second game for a win and the game got called in like the sixth or seventh.

skottyj242
04-22-2008, 11:02 AM
I met my gf at last years Sox/Yankees DH which was the result of a rained out game. I met her in the first game and asked if she wanted to stay for the second one. I bought her a ticket, we tailgated for the second time that day, went to the game and now she is a season ticket holder. :tongue:

You're leaving out the most important part of this story.

DaBears
04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
My very first Sox game(s) were part of a double header. It was in old Comiskey around 1988-89... I looked up the box score from the games once, but I forgot the dates. Ozzie and someone else went back-to-back and Bobby Thigpen got a save.

Last year I went to 3 day-night double headers, those were fun (from what I remember of them:cool:)

itsnotrequired
04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
You're leaving out the most important part of this story.

That you and I sat in the Club Level?

jenn2080
04-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Oh the good ol port o potties.

skottyj242
04-22-2008, 11:36 AM
That you and I sat in the Club Level?

That we did. But that wasn't the most important part of said story.

jenn2080
04-22-2008, 11:39 AM

Maybe its because he does not know the story.

itsnotrequired
04-22-2008, 11:40 AM

Right, I had the meatball sandwich. This importance cannot be undervalued.

Maybe its because he does not know the story.

All my answers are completely serious.

jenn2080
04-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Right, I had the meatball sandwich. This importance cannot be undervalued.

All my answers are completely serious.

Yeah, but I am not sure you actually know what story he is talking about.

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/08/13/porta-hub.jpg

+

http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v235/60/115/32802928/n32802928_33887615_6638.jpg

itsnotrequired
04-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Yeah, but I am not sure you actually know what story he is talking about.

Where was that first picture taken? I don't get it, someone tied up a porta-potty and took it camping?

hawkjt
04-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Even tho it was technically not a dh...my son and I attended the Twins double debacle last year...ouch. One of the longest days at the ballpark..

Back in the 90's I went to a Cubs-Cards dh with some out of town friends who wanted to see a ballgame...started at noon...then a rain delay...we got hammered and decided to see how long we could hang on...by the end we were part of about 1000 who hung around sitting right at home plate in an extra inning game yelling at the cubs..lasted til midnite...12 hours without leaving Wrigley...have been scarred ever since...could not get the smell of urine out of my nose for weeks.

skottyj242
04-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Where was that first picture taken? I don't get it, someone tied up a porta-potty and took it camping?

I saw a porta-potty that was named The Drop Zone once.

russ99
04-22-2008, 12:22 PM
When I was in grade school in the late 70's (i know, I'm old) we had a school outing with first-row left-field seats at old Comiskey for a Sunday DH vs. the Rangers.

Man, that was fun.

Please don't bring up that Twins debacle of last season. I've tried to blot that out of my memory.

WisSoxFan
04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I've been to two. In 1975 I saw the Brewers and Royals play a twinball. I was pretty young (11) and with my mom and dad (I'm an only child so there was just the three of us). We went over for a Saturday afternoon game and stayed the night and went to the Sunday DH. We watched game one and a few innings of game two and headed home.

In August of '77 I was a White Sox/Brewer doubleheader. This time it was my family and my best friends family (they were the ones who lead me to become a Sox fan - they are the best!). The Sox lost both games and it may have been their last day in first place that season IIRC. It poured down rain for a couple of innings in game two and I remember sitting in the right field box seats getting soaked with my two best buddies and everyone else was up under the upper deck staying dry. We had a grand time. Oh to be young again. I look forward to taking my boys to their first game.

edit - The Sox/Brewers DH in '77 was a split. For some some reason I thought the Sox lost both. I stand corrected.

TDog
04-22-2008, 12:47 PM
... Some kids had a banner that read "Ed Short is a Bum." They didn't win, either.

The Daily News, I believe, ran daily sports quips by Tiger Lyons. In 1970, with the baseball season looming, he wrote, "On Tuesday, Gary Peters starts for the Red Sox and Ed Short starts for the border." That would have been too long to fit on a banner, though.

When I was a kid, Banner Day was a big deal, but I preferred Camera Day. At old Comiskey in 1970, at least, they let us go out on the outfield grass between games of the doubleheader. I still have faded pictures of Jerry Janeski, who Ed Short picked up with Syd O'Brien in the Gary Peters trade.

Domeshot17
04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
My mom took us to a double header yeaarss ago, I was in like the 2nd or 3rd grade (I remember it was the same year Forget Paris came out [basketball movie abotu ref Billy Crystal] because thats the movie my parents took us to see when the game got called) and I believe we played the Rangers.

chisoxfan79
04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
I was at one in 96 against the Tigers sox won both James Baldwin pitched 8 strong as the Sox won 4-2 and The Big Hurt and Danny Tartabull went YARD in game 2 13-5 sat 7 rows behind the dugout awesome day

cards press box
04-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Yes...many times.

And generally BOTH games were over in six hours (and that includes the 30 minute break between games.)

Lip

I have also been to many doubleheaders. I thought they were great -- just about the best treat a baseball fan could get. I really enjoyed the feeling you got around the 7th inning of Game 1. You had just seen a good ballgame and you knew that another one would start pretty soon. Boy, those were the days.

OH!foracold1
04-22-2008, 04:32 PM
I miss them also. I was at the dh against the Twins in 77 (?). I believe there were 52k + in the house that day. Awesome! Also saw Wilbur win both ends of a dh, although if I'm not mistaken it was a continuation of another game. Back in the good ole days, you could bring in your own cooler filled with you favorite libations to keep you for both games. At least that way you would not have to pay those exuberant prices of a $1.50 a beer. :gulp::gulp:

Dick Allen
04-22-2008, 06:10 PM
DH's were a big part of my childhood. My very first game(s) were a DH against the Tigers in 1960. I remember Al Smith homered into the CF bullpen. And the Sox PA announcer, Tate Johnson, would always say Rocco Colavito, not Rocky. Also attended a couple of Bat Day DH's, one drew about 55,000.

chisoxwschamps05
04-22-2008, 06:44 PM
I, like alot of you, was at the Minnesota doubleheader last year. Let me tell you, it was one of the most miserable days of my life. It was like 95 degrees that day, we got crushed both games, I missed seeing myself on the jumbotron, got a t-shirt ripped out of my hands when the pride crew was throwing them out, and I was 16, so I couldn't drown myself in beer. It sucked.

swishersweetie
04-25-2008, 10:07 PM

I had tickets for the entire White Sox/Red Sox series last August and since Thursday night got rained out they scheduled a DH for Friday....not a series I want to remember :whiner:

GeoffNotBlum
04-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Three straight years in the '80s I went to Sox games on my birthday. In 1985, they played a doubleheader to make up one of the games that was taken out by the Strike (which only lasted 2 days). Sox won the first one 7-6, Kitty hit two homers, including one on the roof. We were so far under the third base stands we couldn't see it land. We listened to Oscar Gamble pinch hitting for the Pitcher as the BoSawks won the nightcap. Boston also won the homerun hitting contest between games.

In 1986, the Sox slaughtered the Brewers at County Stadium in a single game. That was a nice ballpark.

In 1987, the Brewers played two on the South Side. Those were games 37 and 38? of Molitor's hitting streak. Game 2 was my first Rain Delay. Again, I don't think we stayed to the end, even though the game was completed. (We had some free tickets for the game the next afternoon as Molitor's streak continued.)

For both doubleheaders, we had the tickets before the second game was scheduled.

In 1988, the eyes of the baseball world were on the North Side, as the (Four-Letter Word) were attempting to play their first home night game ever. They were rained out.

LITTLE NELL
04-30-2008, 05:23 AM
Growing up in the 50s and 60s just about every team had scheduled double-headers on Sunday. Attended many Sunday DHs. I can still hear Bob Elsons promo; Dont forget fans to get your tickets for Mantle, Ford , Berra and all that gang, they will be here for a Friday night game, a Saturday Matinee, and a Tremendous Sunday Doubleheader. Those were the days.