PDA

View Full Version : Don't mean this to be negative - but

PennStater98r
04-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Just returned from the Dominican Republic yesterday - destination wedding thing - and I chatted quite a bit with locals asking them if they like baseball and so on - well, there's definitely a sense of pride from folks down there concerning players like Manny, Pujols, Pedro and David Ortiz. However, most of the time when I asked them if they liked Juan Uribe - I really didn't get a positive response. Many of the folks characterized him as "loud music in car" or "not nice" or "bad/mean." I was just glad that I could mention Pablo in the next breath!

btrain929
04-21-2008, 06:09 PM
k....

Frontman
04-21-2008, 06:19 PM
And we're surprised at this how?

He was involved with a messy situation down in the Dominican just last off-season. I highly doubt they'd paint a rosey picture of the man.

SoxGirl4Life
04-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I bet they're not as upset with him as we are when he swings at pitches that bounce.

asindc
04-21-2008, 07:30 PM
I bet they're not as upset with him as we are when he swings at pitches that bounce.

Amen to that!

Tragg
04-21-2008, 07:59 PM

LOL!

QCIASOXFAN
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
So Juan has a system in his ride?

GlassSox
04-21-2008, 09:08 PM

Or the ones that are 2 ft over his head.

HomeFish
04-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Did you ask them about Timo Perez?

LoveYourSuit
04-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Just returned from the Dominican Republic yesterday - destination wedding thing - and I chatted quite a bit with locals asking them if they like baseball and so on - well, there's definitely a sense of pride from folks down there concerning players like Manny, Pujols, Pedro and David Ortiz. However, most of the time when I asked them if they liked Juan Uribe - I really didn't get a positive response. Many of the folks characterized him as "loud music in car" or "not nice" or "bad/mean." I was just glad that I could mention Pablo in the next breath!

Manny, Pujols, Pedro, Ortiz ..... Uribe does not belong in the same sentence nor in the same planet.

Them locals probably though it was the Spanish version of "Punked" you were throwin at them.

DumpJerry
04-21-2008, 11:26 PM
If this is the biggest negative about Uribe, then we're definitely going to the World Series.

PennStater98r
04-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Manny, Pujols, Pedro, Ortiz ..... Uribe does not belong in the same sentence nor in the same planet.

Them locals probably though it was the Spanish version of "Punked" you were throwin at them.

You know, I didn't ask them proactively. Most approached me and asked if I liked baseball - being that I had a White Sox jersey on most of the trip. Nevertheless, I actually was a bit shocked at how quick they were to mention that he had a Barry Bonds-like attitude with the kids down there. When they talked about Pujols, Ortiz, Pedro and Manny - it was not on a skill level - it was on a decent-human being level. Again, every time I'd mention Pablo Ozuna - their faces would light up and they'd have nothing but good things to say about him.

skottyj242
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM
What did they say about Toby Hall?

eriqjaffe
04-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Somehow, I picture everybody in the Dominican Republic being on a first-name basis with everybody else...you could ask David Ortiz what he thinks about some random dude who sells fish from a pushcart in Santo Domingo and he'd say, "Oh, yeah, he's a good guy. High-quality fish from him!"

The Critic
04-22-2008, 12:11 PM
What did they say about Toby Hall?

They said he's the nicest guy in the world but he's gained a little weight.
:D:

ode to veeck
04-22-2008, 12:23 PM
If this is the biggest negative about Uribe, then we're definitely going to the World Series.

Unfortunately, it's not, but we could still be going in Oct in spite of the fact

hi im skot
04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Juan Uribe kicks puppies.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-22-2008, 01:37 PM
I have a Dominican acquaintance who is friends with a lot of Dominican ballplayers and he used to hang around with Uribe, Timo Perez and Pablo Ozuna. The only thing I would hear is that Uribe is a big spender so hearing that he has a loud system in his car is no surprise. However Uribe would constantly rip on Pablo for not spending his money as freely as him. Then again I don't think Pablo makes as much as Uribe.

PennStater98r
04-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Just to clarify - I posted the thread b/c it took me by surprise a little. I knew he ran into some problems down there, but to see fans consistantly try to change the subject or just have negative things to say really took me by surprise.

hi im skot
04-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Just to clarify - I posted the thread b/c it took me by surprise a little. I knew he ran into some problems down there, but to see fans consistantly try to change the subject or just have negative things to say really took me by surprise.

I like Juan Uribe. When I was in Minneapolis for a Sox/Twins series a couple years ago, he and Pablo were hanging out in the lobby. I left them both alone, as they were on their cell phones doing their own thing, but they were accomodating to the folks that approached them.

Uribe seems to be a popular guy in the clubhouse, especially among fellow latin players, but who knows...?

NADA SURF
04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
So Juan has a system in his ride?
My sources down there tell me he's into Burl Ives and likes to blast his music in quiet neighborhoods during friendly neighborhood cockfights.

Lefty34
04-23-2008, 09:48 PM
I like Juan Uribe. When I was in Minneapolis for a Sox/Twins series a couple years ago, he and Pablo were hanging out in the lobby. I left them both alone, as they were on their cell phones doing their own thing, but they were accomodating to the folks that approached them.

Uribe seems to be a popular guy in the clubhouse, especially among fellow latin players, but who knows...?

Uribe can be the nicest or meanest guy he wants, I don't really care. What I do care about is him being able to get his pudgy ass on base more than 33% of the time.

I do not doubt your story, but Uribe can be nice in hotels and in the clubhouse all he wants, but he won't get a chance to be cordial with the opposing first baseman 'cause with the way he plays, he will rarely see him.

I would enjoy it if Uribe went back to the DR to blast his system and kick little puppies and swear at sick children (or whatever it is he does) permanently, and finally do the Sox a favor.

kjhanson
04-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Somehow, I picture everybody in the Dominican Republic being on a first-name basis with everybody else...you could ask David Ortiz what he thinks about some random dude who sells fish from a pushcart in Santo Domingo and he'd say, "Oh, yeah, he's a good guy. High-quality fish from him!"

Haha...that's the first thing I thought of too. There are 10 million people in the D.R.; the same as in metropolitan Chicago. I highly doubt the locals know much more about Juan Uribe than I do.

BeviBall!
04-23-2008, 10:17 PM
When Rudy Maxa filmed his episode on the D.R., I could have sworn I saw Uribe flipping him the bird in the background. I had a Dominican cigar to commemorate the occasion.

twsoxfan5
04-24-2008, 09:48 AM
They said he's the nicest guy in the world but he's gained a little weight.
:D:

That should not be teal b/c I am pretty sure both of those things are true.:D:

PennStater98r
04-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Haha...that's the first thing I thought of too. There are 10 million people in the D.R.; the same as in metropolitan Chicago. I highly doubt the locals know much more about Juan Uribe than I do.

People working at the only airport on the island and the resort closest to that airport that is somewhat upscale would have a better chance of knowing him than those picking up trash by the side of the road or living in the huts and cinder block buildings of impoverished areas.

Being that I was on a vacation, I'll let you guess which ones I talked to.

kjhanson
04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
People working at the only airport on the island and the resort closest to that airport that is somewhat upscale would have a better chance of knowing him than those picking up trash by the side of the road or living in the huts and cinder block buildings of impoverished areas.

Being that I was on a vacation, I'll let you guess which ones I talked to.

So you talked to the people carrying his bags and serving him drinks. I'll let you guess whether or not that's any more impressive.

Lefty34
04-24-2008, 05:59 PM
So you talked to the people carrying his bags and serving him drinks. I'll let you guess whether or not that's any more impressive.

Maybe he's a bad tipper? I got a copy of "Uncle John's Ultimate Bathroom Reader" from my sister for Christmas awhile back, and there was a page devoted to categorizing the best and worst tippers based on occupation, and as I recall, professional athletes were among the worst.

Just a thought, though, I could be wrong.

TheVulture
04-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I do not doubt your story, but Uribe can be nice in hotels and in the clubhouse all he wants, but he won't get a chance to be cordial with the opposing first baseman 'cause with the way he plays, he will rarely see him.

Zing!

Domeshot17
04-24-2008, 06:52 PM
What a shocker. People here hate Uribe too. It must suck to be him.

MetroPD
04-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Or the ones that are 2 ft over his head.

Or the ones that are three feet wide.......