PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Petco Park?

NU Nish 13
04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Trying to plan a trip out there to SD in early August and definitely will be checking out the stadium. Was wondering if anyone had any tips as far as seats go...would like to know how seat/area restrictions work. I don't want to get screwed like a visitor would at USCF and buy UD tix only to be told I can't go anywhere else in the park. Would anyone recommend just doing the Park pass? I want to be able to walk around...

thanks.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
You can actually walk around the outfield area on the day of games without a ticket. I took some pictures by the sandbox and they have a Tony Gwynn statue out there too.

I was there only once and had lower deck tickets but everything out there is very lax so I don't see going down to the lower deck being a problem. As a matter of fact I don't think any ushers asked to see my tickets at any point in the park.

One thing I will recommend is an Australian restaurant that is a couple of blocks from the ballpark. It's called Bondi (pronounced like bon-dye) they have great food and an awesome beer that is barreled directly from Australia called Boag's.

04-21-2008, 02:26 PM
You should be able to get around anywhere in the park with any ticket. Theres lots of cool things to check out like the History of San Diego Baseball Museum in the park.

The viewpoints are pretty good throughout the park. So depending on where you like to sit for a ballgame you should be happy.

Where are you planning on staying in San Diego? You can get to/from the stadium by trolly easily or walk if your staying in the Gaslamp or around there. If your staying in any of the beach areas than parking won't be an issue around the stadium but only 1 lot has tailgating allowed.

The area around the park to the north is the Gaslamp. 4th, 5th and 6th Streets are lined with restaurants, taverns, pubs, bars, sports bars, nightlife, wine bars, steak houses, anything you want.

A little west of the park on Harbor Drive is Seaport Village. Another place for shopping, restaurants, seafood.

Hitmenof77
04-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Other than the suites, a ticket allows you to go anywhere in the stadium. They don't have a class system like they do at Dodger Stadium.

If you just want to walk around, yeah the Park Pass is fine. For most games they aren't sold out, so you can find a seat and catch a few innings.

Depending on where you're staying, take the train to Petco. Parking is expensive at Petco, $15 or more. Train pass is $5.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
You should be able to get around anywhere in the park with any ticket. Theres lots of cool things to check out like the History of San Diego Baseball Museum in the park.

The viewpoints are pretty good throughout the park. So depending on where you like to sit for a ballgame you should be happy.

Where are you planning on staying in San Diego? You can get to/from the stadium by trolly easily or walk if your staying in the Gaslamp or around there. If your staying in any of the beach areas than parking won't be an issue around the stadium but only 1 lot has tailgating allowed.

The area around the park to the north is the Gaslamp. 4th, 5th and 6th Streets are lined with restaurants, taverns, pubs, bars, sports bars, nightlife, wine bars, steak houses, anything you want.

A little west of the park on Harbor Drive is Seaport Village. Another place for shopping, restaurants, seafood.

When I was there last year my GF and I stayed in the Gaslamp. That Australian restaurant I mentioned is on 5th street.

My GF really enjoyed the Seaport Village. We both fell in love with that whole area.

04-21-2008, 02:36 PM
When I was there last year my GF and I stayed in the Gaslamp. That Australian restaurant I mentioned is on 5th street.

My GF really enjoyed the Seaport Village. We both fell in love with that whole area.

I recently moved to an area next to Balboa Park very close to downtown last November. I've not had enough free time to enjoy the Gaslamp as much as I want to but thats going to be in my plans for this summer.

AZChiSoxFan
04-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Trying to plan a trip out there to SD in early August and definitely will be checking out the stadium. Was wondering if anyone had any tips as far as seats go...would like to know how seat/area restrictions work. I don't want to get screwed like a visitor would at USCF and buy UD tix only to be told I can't go anywhere else in the park. Would anyone recommend just doing the Park pass? I want to be able to walk around...

thanks.

I've been to close to 20 major league stadiums and I'm pretty sure that USCF is the only one I've been to that restricts UD tickets holders to the UD only.

FedEx227
04-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I've been to close to 20 major league stadiums and I'm pretty sure that USCF is the only one I've been to that restricts UD tickets holders to the UD only.

Exactly, what a joke.

Hitmenof77
04-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Not true. The Dodgers restrict people to the level of their ticket. Top Deck have to enter and stay in Top Deck. People in Reserve, Club, Loge, and Field may enter and stay at their level of the level or levels above.

Class system at it's finest.

santo=dorf
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
The park pass is $7. It lets you walk anywhere around the park, but you don't get a seat.

NU Nish 13
04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
thanks guys...appreciate all the suggestions. I won't be staying in SD...just driving down from LA for the day. Aiming to hit the night game against SF on August 2nd and see that amazing CF of theirs...haha. I'll be going with my parents, so not sure if the park pass will fly--I guess it'll depend on their mood.

AZChiSoxFan
04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Not true. The Dodgers restrict people to the level of their ticket. Top Deck have to enter and stay in Top Deck. People in Reserve, Club, Loge, and Field may enter and stay at their level of the level or levels above.

Class system at it's finest.

It's been 10 years since I've been to Dodger stadium, so I forgot about that one. Still, I think my point is still correct. Out of the 20 stadiums I've been to, there are two of them that restrict access to certain parts of the stadium based on your ticket.