PDA

View Full Version : Attention Sox Army...

whitesoxwilkes
04-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Current front page Sportsnation poll on ESPN.com Is "What team has been the biggest surprise in baseball this season?"

We're losing badly to the O's, Cards and Royals.

You have your marching orders. Get busy.

IceczMan
04-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Perhaps everyone knew we'd get off to a good start and be leading the AL Central and therefore, its not really a surprise.

Tragg
This is the Chicago White Sox. Winning is no surprise. Losing that poll is winning.

This reminds me of something that mlbtraderumors fellow wrote. When asked about which "surprise" team had staying power he responded "well, the candidates of teams that usually aren't good but have started out well are the Cardinals, White Sox and As". That was an incredibly absurd comment as 2 of those 3 have won 2 of the last 3 world titles and the As have been a frequent post-season participant.

Dan Mega
Actually the Cards would get my vote. The Sox do have some talent to compete, but the Cards almost seem like smoke and mirrors so far.

manders_01
04-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Current front page Sportsnation poll on ESPN.com Is "What team has been the biggest surprise in baseball this season?"

Maybe that's cause the visitors to ESPN knew we would be awesome all along! :redneck :tongue:

santo=dorf
04-20-2008, 09:14 PM
I thought we weren't supposed to pay attention to ESPN the tabloid. :rolleyes:

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2008, 09:21 PM
I thought we weren't supposed to pay attention to ESPN the tabloid. :rolleyes:

I agree. **** espn. Joe Morgan, Boomer, and the rest of those east coasters.

TDog
04-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Perhaps everyone knew we'd get off to a good start and be leading the AL Central and therefore, its not really a surprise.

You put that in teal, but I think a lot of baseball people, as well as some baseball fans outside of Chicago who remember the Sox having strong teams in 2005 and 2006, are not surprised that the White Sox are doing well. I don't watch ESPN, but there may be some surprise by people who neglected to look at the apparent faults in the Indians and Tigers coming into the season. It's true that it's a surprise that the Indians aren't getting anything good out of Sabathia, but Cliff Lee is more than making up for Sabathia's failings.

I'm not surprised with the start of the White Sox. I think they should have a bigger lead. They've lose a couple of games they should have won. If there is a surprise with the Sox it is that Danks and Floyd have started out so well, except for one start where Danks had no control. But just looking at team's won-lost records, the Royals and Orioles are certainly bigger surprises than the White Sox.

kittle42
04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Cardinals.

jenn2080
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM

Big whoop. We are losing on some poll.

Sox
04-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Okay I have a question. What exactly does it mean when you respond to another posters post in teal?:scratch:

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Okay I have a question. What exactly does it mean when you respond to another posters post in teal?:scratch:

Sarcasm at its best!

chisoxfanatic
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM

Teal is the color we use around here denoting sarcasm.

Sox
04-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Teal is the color we use around here denoting sarcasm.

Okay thanks for clarifying that.:smile:

Brian26
04-20-2008, 11:37 PM

Maybe we should save our energy for Punch AJ '08. :redneck

voodoochile
04-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Big whoop. We are losing on some poll.

New around these parts I see...

Stuffing ballot boxes is a time honored tradition around these parts, Ma'am.:tiphat:

Personally I won't be participating in stuffing this ballot box because I am not surprised... Pleased, yes. Surprised? Not really.

Elephant
04-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Why should we aspire to be a "surprise" when we're good?

:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

04-21-2008, 02:02 AM
god, when does white sox army ever get a day off?

Stringer
04-21-2008, 08:44 AM
We're not even winning in Illinois

:(:

Domeshot17
04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
When I voted a day or 2 before, I went with the Cardinals. Even to be fair, Most of the so called 'experts' had us pegged around 85 wins and only that low because the Central looked tough. the Cardinals were picked to finish well below .500, so them being this good this long is totally shocking.

skottyj242
04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
I will do whatever Wilkes tells me to do.

Scottzilla
04-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Ya shouldnt we be insulted we're even included in this poll?
Anyway i say KC is the biggest surprise because of how horrible they have been for a how long. The cards have gotten worse but they are still a quality organization.

scarsofthumper
04-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I definitely voted for KC.

whitesoxwilkes
04-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I will do whatever Wilkes tells me to do.

You just earned a promotion from private to private first class.

jenn2080
04-21-2008, 11:05 AM

Agreed.

TDog
04-21-2008, 12:16 PM

I just looked at the baseball standings, which I rarely do in April, and saw that the Royals now have a losing record. In fact, everyone but the White Sox in the American League Central has a losing record after about 20 games. While it's true Kansas City and Minnesota have better records at this point than I expected, and the Twins still played tough against the Sox, isn't anyone surprised that 80 percent of the teams in the division people are always saying is the toughest in baseball have a losing record?

soxfan21
04-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Let's just stay under the radar...

asindc
04-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Why should we aspire to be a "surprise" when we're good?

:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

My sentiments exactly. Going into the season, I found it hard to believe that any knowledgeable baseball observer thought we would be as bad as last year, or even struggle. We should NOT be disappointed about not "winning" this poll. We should be disappointed in being included.