PDA

View Full Version : Where next for the Big Hurt?

A. Cavatica
04-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Where will the Big Hurt wind up next?

Sox
04-20-2008, 06:58 PM
I got to go with retirement. I think some club like the *ahem* White Sox either offers him a front office position or a coaches position or maybe a minor league managing stint. Just an educated guess, nothing really with any real merit to it.:scratch:

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Back to Vegas.

PolishPower83
04-20-2008, 06:59 PM
I'll say Seattle even though none of us have any idea. Isn't it tough to see this happen to Thomas? I grew up a HUGE Big Hurt fan and always thought he would finish his career with the ChiSox. It's just kinda sad to see his career flame out like this. But that's becoming the norm in professional sports.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I wonder if the Tigers will be interested. Sheffield's shoulder isn't getting any better.

Sox
04-20-2008, 07:03 PM
I wonder if the Tigers will be interested. Sheffield's shoulder isn't getting any better.

I would hate to see the Big Hurt wind up with the MC Kitties...........:whiner:

ND_Sox_Fan
04-20-2008, 07:11 PM
I think he takes a part-time role with the New York Yankees.

sox1970
04-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Baltimore

Scottiehaswheels
04-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Texas

Guess I should expound on this a little. Daniels is probably looking to make a splash to appease his new boss (Nolan Ryan) as the team isn't doing well, although that has more to do with pitching than anything but... Ron Washington would make a good coach for Frank IMHO. They also have a crew of younger hitters that would benefit from the presence of Frank. Frank has played with many of the players already on the Rangers and seemed to get along with them relatively well in Toronto/Oakland. The ballpark would appeal to Frank as it is an excellent hitters park compared to a couple of the other places mentioned. I also think Daniels will try to throw 5 mil at him while other teams will only venture 3-4m.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-20-2008, 07:52 PM
I think this will be his last year, but he won't retire until the offseason. I'll say he signs a contract with the Mariners.

I wonder if the Sox would sign him to one of those 1-day deals so he can retire.

goofymsfan
04-20-2008, 08:02 PM
It could be the M's but I think they are looking for left handed power hitters. Not sure though. Could be an interesting pick up.

TB might take a look at him as well.

JermaineDye05
04-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Sox coaching staff.

On a serious note, could you guys see the Big Hurt being the sox hitting coach of the future?

Scottiehaswheels
04-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Sox coaching staff.

On a serious note, could you guys see the Big Hurt being the sox hitting coach of the future?
I would love that but don't see that happening with KW at the helm.

sox1970
04-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Sox coaching staff.

I don't see Frank being interested in putting on a uniform after his playing career is over. Once the statistics are up, he's done.

turners56
04-20-2008, 08:19 PM
I would hope not Detroit or Minnesota...

CHIsoxNation
04-20-2008, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Detroit uniform if Sheffied's shoulder injury is found to be serious. But I don't think Detroit wants to run the risk of having both of those guys on the roster fighting for playing time when they're healthy.

manders_01
04-20-2008, 08:31 PM
It would truly be a sad day for me if he signed with one of our division rivals. :whiner:

I liked him during what I saw of the TBS coverage of the NLDS & NLCS. Maybe broadcasting is where it's at for him.

sox1970
04-20-2008, 08:32 PM
It would truly be a sad day for me if he signed with one of our division rivals. :whiner:

I liked him during what I saw of the TBS coverage of the NLDS & NLCS. Maybe broadcasting is where it's at for him.

That makes one of you.

rowand33
04-20-2008, 08:43 PM
seattle and minnesota are the obvious choices.

hopefully not minnesota.

I just wish him the best wherever he goes.

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2008, 09:12 PM
The big thing is how much is Toronto willing to pick up some of his salary. Right now, nobody will touch him if they have to pick up his contract.

Scottiehaswheels
04-20-2008, 09:15 PM
The big thing is how much is Toronto willing to pick up some of his salary. Right now, nobody will touch him if they have to pick up his contract.I assume that since they outright released him they are eating the contract no matter what. Similar to what would have happened if the rumors of us releasing Uribe before OD were true.

Frontman
04-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Sox coaching staff.

No. He doesn't have the personality or the demeanor to be a coach.

Frontman
04-20-2008, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Detroit uniform if Sheffied's shoulder injury is found to be serious. But I don't think Detroit wants to run the risk of having both of those guys on the roster fighting for playing time when they're healthy.

Five bucks that Thomas could take Sheff.

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2008, 09:30 PM
I assume that since they outright released him they are eating the contract no matter what. Similar to what would have happened if the rumors of us releasing Uribe before OD were true.

I believe that if another team picks him up, that team takes the contract. It could be renegotiated but then it would need approval from the players union and perhaps, MLB.

Oldfellah
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Back to Chicago as a B/U DH!!

It's Dankerific
04-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Everyone, Whoever picks up Thomas can do it at any price. The most logical being for the league minimum. The Jays have to pay his contract NO MATTER WHAT. If he gets the major league minimum from a team, the jays will send him 300k less. Thats it.

The only way the Jays can lose less money is if there are multiple offers for big frank and he can leverage that into a multiyear deal. Perhaps then they wouldnt be allowed to do a 300k this year, 8 mill next year situation.

Jjav829
04-20-2008, 10:31 PM
The Mariners are the most logical fit, with the Rays second.

Domeshot17
04-20-2008, 10:43 PM
It all depends on Frank. If he wants to go to a contender, the only real fits I see are the Yanks or Mariners or if he believes in them, Baltimore.

If he just wants to play, He has more teams to pick from like the Rays Royals Twins Rangers etc.

My head says Mariners, but my Gut says Yankees.

IspepAloc
04-20-2008, 11:36 PM
I think he'd be a good fit in TB with all those youngsters.

areilly
04-20-2008, 11:59 PM
It all depends on Frank. If he wants to go to a contender, the only real fits I see are the Yanks or Mariners or if he believes in them, Baltimore.

If he just wants to play, He has more teams to pick from like the Rays Royals Twins Rangers etc.

My head says Mariners, but my Gut says Yankees.

That would be an interesting paradox; Frank (the cheated 2000 MVP) and Giambi (the cheater 2000 MVP) platooning in the same DH role.

DumpJerry
04-21-2008, 12:43 AM
I hope whomever picks him up gives him the required number of at-basts to break the Jays' bank.

Yes, the Jays' will have to honor their contract. Frank can sign with another team for the league minimum and the Jays' have to pay their contract. They released him, they did not trade him or let him go away on waivers. They have to pay the contract no matter what he does this year. This is the beauty of guaranteed contracts.

thomas35forever
04-21-2008, 01:28 AM
I'll say Tampa. Why not?

Nellie_Fox
04-21-2008, 01:59 AM
Everyone, Whoever picks up Thomas can do it at any price. The most logical being for the league minimum. The Jays have to pay his contract NO MATTER WHAT. If he gets the major league minimum from a team, the jays will send him 300k less. Thats it. Which is why I picked the Twins.

Thome25
04-21-2008, 08:16 AM
I've heard the Orioles, Mariners, and Rangers may have interest. My bet is the Tigers. Sheffield has been injured a lot this year and they may be able to use him.

Also, if he signs with the Tigers it would continue the Marlins-White Sox-Tigers connection that's going on between the White Sox and Tigers. (Dombrowski, Leyland, Ozzie Guillen, Maggs)

Dombrowski may have some interest. IMO if there's interest, Frank may see the Tigers as an opportunity for him to play for a possible WS contender as well as a way to stick it to KW and the White Sox.

Jjav829
04-21-2008, 08:16 AM
I hope whomever picks him up gives him the required number of at-basts to break the Jays' bank.

Yes, the Jays' will have to honor their contract. Frank can sign with another team for the league minimum and the Jays' have to pay their contract. They released him, they did not trade him or let him go away on waivers. They have to pay the contract no matter what he does this year. This is the beauty of guaranteed contracts.

:?:

No they don't. The Blue Jays have to pay Frank whatever money was guaranteed, and that's all. The option is not guaranteed money. It only would have become guaranteed once Frank reached 376 plate appearances this season. Once Frank clears waivers, that contract is terminated. What Frank does on another team under another contract means nothing to the Blue Jays.

October26
04-21-2008, 09:05 AM
I voted for Another Major League team - Baltimore. I have no inside information, but it seems like Frank would be wanted by a team that needed to sell tickets (not drawing well) and Baltimore fits that criteria. But then so does Tampa, Texas ...

I really hope that Frank does not sign with one of the Sox central division opponents (Twins, Tigers, Indians or Royals). As much as I loved Frank Thomas when he was with the White Sox, I do not want to see him 15 more times or however many more times we play those teams. It would really sting to see him in one of those uniforms (Twins, Tigers, Indians or Royals) - it was weird enough to see him in an Oakland uniform and then a Toronto uniform.

Regardless, though, I wish Frank Thomas the best and I thank him for all of the thrills (especially the 1st inning home runs) that he gave us while wearing a White Sox uniform.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I think he takes a part-time role with the New York Yankees.

It's not like we haven't seen Big Frank in a Yankee uniform before. You guys remember the movie Mr. Baseball?

GeoffNotBlum
04-21-2008, 11:10 AM
There are those who criticize Mickey Mantle for staying around long enough that his career batting average dropped to under .300 before he retired. I think Thomas should avoid doing that. If he does retire now, he'll finish his career as one of four big leaguers "with at least a .300 average, 500 home runs, 1,500 RBIs, 1,000 runs and 1,500 walks. The others are Mel Ott, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams."

Another quote from the AP Story:
The move leaves the Blue Jays on the hook for $7,081,967, the remainder of his $8 million salary this year in the $18.12 million, two-year contract the 39-year-old Thomas signed in November 2006.

balke
04-21-2008, 11:39 AM
can anyone confirm whether or not the Jays are on the hook for that option?

I found one quote from KPTV in Portland that says:

The move leaves the Blue Jays on the hook for the remainder of the two-year $18-million contract the 39-year-old Thomas signed in November 2006.

And if that contract was all guaranteed money, why isn't the option guaranteed? The wording I've read says he gets the option if:

Thomas gets a $9.12 million signing bonus that is payable in January, a $1 million salary next year and $8 million in 2008. The deal includes a $10 million vesting option for 2009 that would become guaranteed if Thomas has 1,000 plate appearances in the next two seasons or 525 plate appearances in 2008.

alohafri
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
I'd rather he didn't, but I see him going to DEEEEtroit with Sheffield being hurt.

Steve Metsch
04-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Twins. Can't you see him belting homers into the Hefty bags? And the Twins would love nothing more than having him to play vs. White Sox.

doublem23
04-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Twins. Can't you see him belting homers into the Hefty bags? And the Twins would love nothing more than having him to play vs. White Sox.

The way the big guy is hitting right now, I wouldn't mind, either. :cool:

Let the records show that I am a big Frank Thomas fan.

BigKlu59
04-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Anybody willing to welcome him back?....In some weird player/coach capacity ?

BigKlu59

Mr.1Dog
04-21-2008, 02:59 PM
I think he is going to play for the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant team.

Jjav829
04-21-2008, 03:01 PM
can anyone confirm whether or not the Jays are on the hook for that option?

I found one quote from KPTV in Portland that says:

The move leaves the Blue Jays on the hook for the remainder of the two-year $18-million contract the 39-year-old Thomas signed in November 2006.

And if that contract was all guaranteed money, why isn't the option guaranteed? The wording I've read says he gets the option if:

Thomas gets a $9.12 million signing bonus that is payable in January, a $1 million salary next year and $8 million in 2008. The deal includes a $10 million vesting option for 2009 that would become guaranteed if Thomas has 1,000 plate appearances in the next two seasons or 525 plate appearances in 2008.

They are not on the hook. Just to play this out a bit...

When a player is 'released,' the team is basically terminating the contract, as they are given the ability to do based on the uniform contract all players sign. The player is then placed on waivers for two days, during which time any team can claim that player, though with the player comes the transfer of his old contract. If after two days no team has claimed the player, which is what will happen in this situation, then the team can officially terminate the player's contract. At that time, the club is released from any contractual agreements sans the guaranteed money. The option is not guaranteed money, hence the word "option." When the Blue Jays 'released' Frank, they freed themselves from any future obligations. The only thing they owe Frank is the money that he was guaranteed in writing. Frank can go get 800 at-bats this season and it wouldn't mean a damn thing to the Blue Jays.

kkappelk
04-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I've heard Mariners or Twins.

skottyj242
04-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Where would he play?

doublem23
04-21-2008, 03:15 PM

Just got to avoid that Mystery Spot.

http://cardnilly.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/OzzieSimpsons.gif

Mr.1Dog
04-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Where would he play?

With Mattingly's refusal to part ways with his long hair and sideburns, I believe first is open.

Paulwny
04-21-2008, 04:24 PM
:?:

No they don't. The Blue Jays have to pay Frank whatever money was guaranteed, and that's all. The option is not guaranteed money. It only would have become guaranteed once Frank reached 376 plate appearances this season. Once Frank clears waivers, that contract is terminated. What Frank does on another team under another contract means nothing to the Blue Jays.

Frank was released , not waived.
The Jays have to pay his contract money for this year.
The $10 mil option is for next year.
Anyone signing Frank would have to pay him the pro-rated minium of $390,000.

Nellie_Fox
04-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I would think it would depend on how the clause is worded. If it says the AB's must be for the Blue Jays, then the option can't kick in. However, if it only says he must have the minimum AB's for the $10 million option year to take affect, there would probably be a good legal argument that the Jays would be on the hook if he gets them, regardless of where, since achieving them makes that year a guaranteed year instead of an option.

DumpJerry
04-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Getting back to the original question. I highly doubt he will come "home" to us. There is no room on the 25 man roster for him and if we did sign him, he would be useful only against lefties to give Thome a break.

Bruce Wolf this morning said he should retire retroactive to the start of this season so he can be on the First Ballot at the same time as Barroid and Scammy. That would be too sweet if Frank got in while those two clowns were left on the sidelines......

cheezheadsoxfan
04-21-2008, 07:19 PM
I just can't see him and KW in the same organization.

Huisj
04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Getting back to the original question. I highly doubt he will come "home" to us. There is no room on the 25 man roster for him and if we did sign him, he would be useful only against lefties to give Thome a break.

If Crede's back flares up, they could move Konerko over to third, and Frank can play first! That's what I'd do on my playstation at least.

WSox597
04-22-2008, 07:07 AM
I voted retirement, because it just might be that time for Frank.

There's definitely no room for him on the Sox roster.

Thome is hitting lefties this year so far, and that would be his only "in" so to speak.

Have any DH's made it to the Hall yet? What about Edgar Martinez? Edit: Not yet, he's not eligible until 2009, and may not make it since he DH'd for two thirds of his career. (per a Wikipedia article)

I don't know if Thomas played enough first base to get in as a first baseman.

veeter
04-22-2008, 07:14 AM
I see Oakland, for that price.

Frontman
04-22-2008, 08:00 AM
I would think it would depend on how the clause is worded. If it says the AB's must be for the Blue Jays, then the option can't kick in. However, if it only says he must have the minimum AB's for the $10 million option year to take affect, there would probably be a good legal argument that the Jays would be on the hook if he gets them, regardless of where, since achieving them makes that year a guaranteed year instead of an option.

If it was worded that way, the Rays should be on his phone immediately. Getting him on their roster would help them, plus it could possibly hurt Toronto by having them on the hook for 10 million next season without a player to show for it.

MisterB
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I see Oakland, for that price.

Oakland had to waive Dan Johnson because there was no room in the 1B/DH mix for him as well as Daric Barton, Mike Sweeney and Jack Cust. I don't see them signing Thomas until Sweeney has his annual season-ending injury. :tongue:

russ99
04-22-2008, 01:21 PM
I think it will be the Rangers.