PDA

View Full Version : C'mon Ozzie, put outfielders in the outfield.

tick53
04-20-2008, 08:55 AM
I gotta complain about this with all due respect to Oz but Alexi playing CF doesn't wash. If you want to rest Dye, that's fine but you got a great defensive player in Brian Anderson riding the pine while Ramirez looks frightened out there. BA might have made that catch last night. Although it's a moot point, the Sox probably would have taken the loss anyway but the score may have been different. I watched Ozzie play his whole career and I for the life of me can't remember a game where he played the outfield.

soxrme
04-20-2008, 10:36 AM
I agree with you, BA should be in, Ramirez should be playing 2nd or in minors.

jabrch
04-20-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm guessing we will see Owens up and Ramirez down soon.

I can't imagine all the mess people will make on their legs anytime Owens plays over BA.

That said, none of them are probably good enough right now to play every day. Ramirez needs time in the minors to develop at whatever position he is to end up at. BA and Owens both look best suited to be 4h OFs on this team. Fortunately, that's all we need from them.

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2008, 02:07 PM
What we have now is better than Timo and Mack. :o:

russ99
04-20-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm guessing we will see Owens up and Ramirez down soon.

I can't imagine all the mess people will make on their legs anytime Owens plays over BA.

That said, none of them are probably good enough right now to play every day. Ramirez needs time in the minors to develop at whatever position he is to end up at. BA and Owens both look best suited to be 4h OFs on this team. Fortunately, that's all we need from them.

Despite some of the man-crushes around here, Anderson is really the only candidate to go down if and when Owens comes back up. I'm not sure if the Sox need to rush that decision, though. I'd think Kenny would rather give Owens a few weeks in AAA to make sure he's healthy.

Ramirez is OK in center, excellent defensively at SS (a better backup that Juan at this point IMO) and can play a adequate 2B as well.

While Ramirez not hitting .200, his at-bats have been very good and he's been driving the ball well. I think he's shown the Sox enough to keep him around for a while.

Anderson's value is solely at CF - the same position where Owens plays, and Owens adds the speed element not on the team right now, except for maybe Cabrera.

Brian has been solid in the field, but he has looked totally lost at the plate. Case in point, so far today when Ozzie gives him a chance to start, he's 0-3 with 2 K's

voodoochile
04-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Despite some of the man-crushes around here, Anderson is really the only candidate to go down if and when Owens comes back up. I'm not sure if the Sox need to rush that decision, though. I'd think Kenny would rather give Owens a few weeks in AAA to make sure he's healthy.

Ramirez is OK in center, excellent defensively at SS (a better backup that Juan at this point IMO) and can play a adequate 2B as well.

While Ramirez not hitting .200, his at-bats have been very good and he's been driving the ball well. I think he's shown the Sox enough to keep him around for a while.

Anderson's value is solely at CF - the same position where Owens plays, and Owens adds the speed element not on the team right now, except for maybe Cabrera.

Brian has been solid in the field, but he has looked totally lost at the plate. Case in point, so far today when Ozzie gives him a chance to start, he's 0-3 with 2 K's

Very good point. If they bring up Owens for Ramirez, they only have one player to backup 2B, SS and 3B (Ozuna). That's damed thin. Though I am sure the BADB will scream conspiracy, if/when it happens, sending down BA is a much more logical choice.

Daver
04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Why bring up Owens?

jabrch
04-20-2008, 03:04 PM

I haven't seen that yet.

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Why bring up Owens?

Exactly my thoughts.

I'd rather send down Alexi and bring up Fields.

Have Fields pinch hit and DH when Thome rests. Fields also can back up at 3B when Crede needs to rest. That way, Ozuna only needs to back up at 2B and SS.

jabrch
04-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Why bring up Owens?

Ramirez needs to go down to develop and play everyday at whatever position we want him to play in the future. Who else do you bring up if you send down Ramirez?

I know your opinion on Owens - but despite that, don't you think we'd be better off keeping Ramirez in AA or AAA where he can develop and keep Owens here where he can be the 5th OF and a guy to PR for PK, Thome, etc...

I'm not suggesting he start much at all - just that Ramirez may have a future and we need to develop him somewhere for that.

jabrch
04-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Exactly my thoughts.

I'd rather send down Alexi and bring up Fields.

Don't you want Josh getting 9 innings of glovework every day? I do... He is likely the future here at 3B.

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Don't you want Josh getting 9 innings of glovework every day? I do... He is likely the future here at 3B.

Fields can help this team more right now as a pinch hitter and backup DH and 3B and even 1B.

Alexi needs to play SS every day in Charlotte, so the Sox can find out if he could be a viable starting SS next year, in the event that Cabrera does not re-sign with the Sox.

Daver
04-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Ramirez needs to go down to develop and play everyday at whatever position we want him to play in the future. Who else do you bring up if you send down Ramirez?

I know your opinion on Owens - but despite that, don't you think we'd be better off keeping Ramirez in AA or AAA where he can develop and keep Owens here where he can be the 5th OF and a guy to PR for PK, Thome, etc...

I'm not suggesting he start much at all - just that Ramirez may have a future and we need to develop him somewhere for that.

Bench Uribe and let Ramirez play second, he needs to face MLB pitching, hitting minor league pitching is not going to help him much, he has been facing that for years in Cuba.

Thome25
04-20-2008, 03:14 PM
All of the BA man-love around here is just as embarrassing if not more embarrassing than the Rowand man-love.

Yeah BA is better defensively that probably any outfielder we have. But IMO he has no future with this club. Ramirez has more of a future withe the White Sox and therefore should be getting a longer look at ALL of the postions he is capable of playing.

That way, the organization can better gauge Ramirez's abilities both right now and in the future. BA was a flash in the pan who never flashed and in all probability will never turn to gold.

jabrch
04-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Fields can help this team more right now as a pinch hitter and backup DH and 3B and even 1B.

Alexi needs to play SS every day in Charlotte, so the Sox can find out if he could be a viable starting SS next year, in the event that Cabrera does not
re-sign with the Sox.

I agree on your Alexi point. I just can't see using Fields as a PH and I don't want to see Jim Thome sitting too often. I'd rather BA see ABs here and Fields get to play everyday.

jabrch
04-20-2008, 03:17 PM
All of the BA man-love around here is just as embarrassing if not more embarrassing than the Rowand man-love.

I don't really see that "man-love" you are talking about.

Bench Uribe and let Ramirez play second, he needs to face MLB pitching, hitting minor league pitching is not going to help him much, he has been facing that for years in Cuba.

Have you seen enough to believe he can field the position?

Daver
04-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Have you seen enough to believe he can field the position?

It's not a huge difference to move from SS to 2nd, he'll be fine.

Of course, no one believed me when I said Swisher could play center either.

jabrch
04-20-2008, 03:29 PM
It's not a huge difference to move from SS to 2nd, he'll be fine.

Of course, no one believed me when I said Swisher could play center either.

I agreed with you on Swish. I just honestly haven't seen enough good play from him at 2B to say. He didn't look great in ST there.

If that's the move OG wants to go with, I'm fine with that too. But I want to see Ramirez get to play 5 days a a week, at least. If that's not going to happen here, it needs to happen in the minors.

Tragg
04-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Can't hurt the team offensively, that's for sure. And you develop a player in the process.
Anyone know Richar's health status?

FedEx227
04-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Why bring up Owens?

Wish someone would answer that.

I love the currently constructed bench.

We have a defensive replacement in BA, two utility infielders one of which can be a pinch-runner if necessary and a backup catcher.

Do we really need another pinch-runner who's a total liability in the OF?