PDA

View Full Version : This Summer's Draft...

jabrch
04-20-2008, 12:09 AM
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2008/4/17/411817/milb-mock-draft-pick-12-oa

This would be a worst-case-scenario for us, with Alvarez, Smoak, both Beckhams and the two best arms gone...

Knowing KWs history, he'd go SP here. With his Danks fettish, would he overdraft Jordan - knowing he'd sign?

Fungo
04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
I believe they will go the college route again because their system is so thin. I hear KW is mandating high-ceiling players, rick be damned. Probably a college arm like Shooter Hunt who has awesome stuff, but lacks command. When his is on, he is close to unhittable. The college Beckham, Gordon, I'm not quite sold on although he was impressive hitting with wood over the Summer. Weeks out of Miami because of his pedigree and Danks out of Texas wouldn't be surprising either (fetish as you mentioned). David Adams, 2B out of Virginia, is a kid who does everything right, but doesn't show up high on most draft boards, but I've liked him since he was a freshman. Probably a 3-5 rounder. Still early and I don't know who all these kids are represented by either, which is huge in the MLB Draft.

jabrch
04-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Is there any chance Alvarez or Smoak slip? And if so, is there any chance we pay the price?

btrain929
04-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know any websites or places to find a top 50/top 100 prospects list for the '08 draft?

Fungo
04-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Is there any chance Alvarez or Smoak slip? And if so, is there any chance we pay the price?I could see it especially with Smoak. Alvarez, not as likely, (I say he doesn't get past Baltimore at 4) but he's also a Boras client. I doubt we pony up. I also believe Alvarez goes the Pat Burrell route and switches to LF. Not sure on Smoak's representation.

Vestigio
04-20-2008, 10:43 PM
I could see it especially with Smoak. Alvarez, not as likely, (I say he doesn't get past Baltimore at 4) but he's also a Boras client. I doubt we pony up. I also believe Alvarez goes the Pat Burrell route and switches to LF. Not sure on Smoak's representation.

Didnt Alvarez injure in elbow or shoulder a month or two ago? Would that cause his stock to drop enough so that we can pick him up?

Also, slightly offtopic, has anyone heard if ESPN 2 will air the draft again this season?

jabrch
04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I could see it especially with Smoak. Alvarez, not as likely, (I say he doesn't get past Baltimore at 4) but he's also a Boras client. I doubt we pony up. I also believe Alvarez goes the Pat Burrell route and switches to LF. Not sure on Smoak's representation.

Alvarez is a Boras client..Smoak is not. I think he's with the Hendricks Brothers.

http://soxprospects.wikispaces.com/2008+Draft+Watch

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2008

jabrch
04-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Didnt Alvarez injure in elbow or shoulder a month or two ago? Would that cause his stock to drop enough so that we can pick him up?

Which bears the question...would we even if...

Boras wants 7-9mm guaranteed for him. He's got a better pedigree than Porcello but...

Fungo
04-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Alvarez is a Boras client..Smoak is not. I think he's with the Hendricks Brothers.

http://soxprospects.wikispaces.com/2008+Draft+Watch

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2008

Danks is a Boras client too, BTW.

btrain929
04-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Danks is a Boras client too, BTW.

Good thing is we just had to trade for him, as supposed to drafting him and giving him crazy money/demands. If Danks keeps up his success, it'd be very sweet if we locked him down under a deal to take him through his arb years. I know Boras is his agent, but I'd hope he would be appreciative for us giving him a chance to excel in the big leagues and be successful, instead of waiting another year or 2 to get his chance in Texas, and then have terrible offense/defense supporting him.

PS.......Does anyone know any websites or places to find a top 50/top 100 prospects list for the '08 draft?

Fungo
04-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Good thing is we just had to trade for him, as supposed to drafting him and giving him crazy money/demands. If Danks keeps up his success, it'd be very sweet if we locked him down under a deal to take him through his arb years. I know Boras is his agent, but I'd hope he would be appreciative for us giving him a chance to excel in the big leagues and be successful, instead of waiting another year or 2 to get his chance in Texas, and then have terrible offense/defense supporting him.

PS.......Does anyone know any websites or places to find a top 50/top 100 prospects list for the '08 draft?
I'm sorry, I was referring to Jordan Danks from the U of Texas.

Fungo
04-21-2008, 10:14 AM

I know Baseball America's list is subscriber only as is Rivals.com. I think a lot of them are going to pay subscriptions. The two links jabrch posted have basically the same names as BA.

Britt Burns
04-21-2008, 11:37 AM
The more I read about Hosmer the more I like him...he reminds me in a way of a young Frank: big guy, plus-plus power, good command of strike zone, awful in the field. I'm also starting to think that Alonso would be a better pick than Smoak if the two fall.

Fungo
04-21-2008, 01:28 PM
The more I read about Hosmer the more I like him...he reminds me in a way of a young Frank: big guy, plus-plus power, good command of strike zone, awful in the field. I'm also starting to think that Alonso would be a better pick than Smoak if the two fall. Hosmer is a Boras client as well and considered a tough sign, along with Alvarez & Gerrit Cole. Other who have Boras as their adviser, but not considered as tough to sign...Joshua Fields, Cutter Dykstra, Alex Meyer, Nick Maronde, Jordan Danks, Brett Mooneyham and Danny Espinosa.
I'm not familiar with Alonso other than he goes to Miami.

JohnTucker0814
04-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Is there a rule or something, i thought I remember reading something, to where if you can't sign your 1st round pick, you get a compesentory 1st round pick the following year, at or near the same spot?

cws05champ
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Is there a rule or something, i thought I remember reading something, to where if you can't sign your 1st round pick, you get a compesentory 1st round pick the following year, at or near the same spot?
Yes, I beleive you get the same spot the next year I beleive. I think last year was the first year this was implemented with the new CBA.

Tragg
04-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I have seen Shooter Hunt pitch 3 times this season and he's terrific. I'd love for him to be a Sox (I wanted the Sox to draft Micah Owings 3 years ago). The Greenies, overall, don't have our roster back to pre-Katrina levels (yet), but he's been terrific, and consistently terrific.
I'd say he's a reach at 8 right now, but he seems to be climbing fast.

DSpivack
04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Hosmer is a Boras client as well and considered a tough sign, along with Alvarez & Gerrit Cole. Other who have Boras as their adviser, but not considered as tough to sign...Joshua Fields, Cutter Dykstra, Alex Meyer, Nick Maronde, Jordan Danks, Brett Mooneyham and Danny Espinosa (per Jim Callis @ BA).

Woo hoo! We can have 3 of them!

btrain929
04-21-2008, 08:54 PM
I have seen Shooter Hunt pitch 3 times this season and he's terrific. I'd love for him to be a Sox (I wanted the Sox to draft Micah Owings 3 years ago). The Greenies, overall, don't have our roster back to pre-Katrina levels (yet), but he's been terrific, and consistently terrific.
I'd say he's a reach at 8 right now, but he seems to be climbing fast.

His name is "Chicago Tough" that's for sure.....

cws05champ
04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Fungo http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1861841#post1861841)
Hosmer is a Boras client as well and considered a tough sign, along with Alvarez & Gerrit Cole. Other who have Boras as their adviser, but not considered as tough to sign...Joshua Fields, Cutter Dykstra, Alex Meyer, Nick Maronde, Jordan Danks, Brett Mooneyham and Danny Espinosa (per Jim Callis @ BA).

Woo hoo! We can have 3 of them!

Heck, why don't we draft Jordan Danks as well, so we can have Fields, Fields, Danks, Fields and Danks. While were at it, lets get Brandon Crawford so we can pair him with Carl when we trade for him. :D:

jabrch
04-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Yes, I beleive you get the same spot the next year I beleive. I think last year was the first year this was implemented with the new CBA.

I think you move down one spot.

jabrch
04-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm sorry, I was referring to Jordan Danks from the U of Texas.

Both of them are Boras clients...

btrain929
04-24-2008, 12:43 PM
I wonder if KW would be intrigued at all at the top 2 catchers in the draft, Buster Posey or Kyle Skipworth. They are top 10-15 prospects, so 1 if not both of them will be available. This could be a top priority depending on your confidence level with Cole Armstrong and that Hernandez kid. I don't know if I'd support a 1st rd pick of a C, but if the top 7 studs are off the board by then (Alvarez, Smoak, Hosmer, Beckham, Matusz, Crow, Alonso/Hunt/other Beckham/etc), it might not be a bad idea.

We shall see....

btrain929
05-14-2008, 04:14 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080514&content_id=2698111&vkey=draft2008&fext=.jsp&partnered=rss_mlb

MLB.com projection of the top 10 picks. He has us taking the lesser Beckham, who is tearing it up this year. If Posey isn't taken by TB, there might be a decent chance that none of the other teams take him. If he falls to us, we should definitely jump on him. Either way, thru my research online (not that that qualifies as scouting these players) these would be my top 8 players in no specific order:

Pedro Alvarez 3b
Brian Matusz LHP
Tim Beckham SS
Aaron Crow RHP
Eric Hosmer 1b
Buster Posey C
Justin Smoak 1b
Gordon Beckham SS/Yonder Alonso 1b/Kyle Skipworth C

With us being the 8th pick, we are guaranteed one of these players, which I'm very happy with from what I've read. A guy like Posey, Smoak, Alonso, Hosmer, or Beckham should shoot thru our system quickly on their offensive skills alone. With that said, hopefully we don't draft a late 1st rd projected player because he's a safe pick...

Vestigio
05-14-2008, 04:45 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-dish/2008/266044.html

BA also has the Sox selecting Gordon Beckham at #8

champagne030
05-15-2008, 01:21 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080514&content_id=2698111&vkey=draft2008&fext=.jsp&partnered=rss_mlb

MLB.com projection of the top 10 picks. He has us taking the lesser Beckham, who is tearing it up this year. If Posey isn't taken by TB, there might be a decent chance that none of the other teams take him. If he falls to us, we should definitely jump on him. Either way, thru my research online (not that that qualifies as scouting these players) these would be my top 8 players in no specific order:

Pedro Alvarez 3b
Brian Matusz LHP
Tim Beckham SS
Aaron Crow RHP
Eric Hosmer 1b
Buster Posey C
Justin Smoak 1b
Gordon Beckham SS/Yonder Alonso 1b/Kyle Skipworth C

With us being the 8th pick, we are guaranteed one of these players, which I'm very happy with from what I've read. A guy like Posey, Smoak, Alonso, Hosmer, or Beckham should shoot thru our system quickly on their offensive skills alone. With that said, hopefully we don't draft a late 1st rd projected player because he's a safe pick...

One of those players listed is guaranteed to be available. I'll guarantee the White Sox do not draft Hosmer. And not because they shouldn't.....three words: Boras, above slot.

btrain929
05-15-2008, 01:30 PM
One of those players listed is guaranteed to be available. I'll guarantee the White Sox do not draft Hosmer. And not because they shouldn't.....three words: Boras, above slot.

True. Although I agree with you, KW said at Soxfest that his problem with Boras is mainly thru the free agent process, and doesn't affect his due dilligence with the draft (probably BS).

One site, if you guys haven't found it yet, gives descriptions and 30 sec videos of all the top prospects. Definitely helps kill some time at work:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2008/index.jsp

Another guy rumored to be in high regard to the White Sox organization is Brett Wallace. I think he's projected as a late 1st rounder, but apparently can mash and, I'm guessing, is Chicago Tough.

btrain929
05-15-2008, 01:39 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/draft-dish/2008/266044.html

BA also has the Sox selecting Gordon Beckham at #8

That looks like their projected rankings of all the players, not exactly where they will be drafted...

sox1970
05-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Gordon Beckham would be a nice pick, but if Justin Smoak is there at 8, I think the Sox will take him.

I just hope it's a college postion player.

California Sox
05-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Keith Law says the Sox are on Brett Wallace, a 1b/3b from Arizona State.

Link (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=20608)

goldglovesox
05-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Zero chance the WhiteSox go over slot. Slot recommendations are made by the Commissioner's office. Jerry will not go against his good friend, Bud's wishes. Especially when they are in agreement over what is good for the game. If a player is slipping due to signability, unfortunately he slips by the WhiteSox.

SoxSpeed22
05-16-2008, 12:32 AM
I've heard good things about Yonder Alonso from The U. Is he worth the #8 pick? After trading Chris Carter, a first baseman can be picked early as long as he is one of the best players available.

fozzy
05-16-2008, 03:31 PM
here's a good article about beckham

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3358555