PDA

View Full Version : *Official* We forgot to show up today - 4/19/08 post-game thread

RTI_SoxFan
04-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Not sure why we should make an effort to even discuss this game since the Sox obviously did not make any effort tonight.

At least I'm 3 beers deep into a heavy night of drinking so hopefully I'll forget this even happened come tomorrow morning.

Pathetic game!:angry:

:gulp:

RadioheadRocks
04-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Frustrated, incorporated... put me out of my misery...

Ok, now that I've let that out, go get 'em tomorrow.

JB98
04-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Two hours and three minutes.

Yuck.

Now for the good news: Minnesota was the only team in the division that won today. We still lead the AL Central by 1.5, and a victory tomorrow secures a winning trip.

Get out of the coma, Sox, and play ball tomorrow.

southsideirish71
04-19-2008, 09:23 PM
The Joe Mays formula still works. Spot low and away, throw strikes, and have a change of pace or big bender. That and our propensity to pull just about everything makes for the 3 hit complete game shutout on a guy who will get rocked in his next trip in the rotation. Cy Smith from Monday night got jabbed for 5 runs today against the Royals.

One of these days we might not try to pull the outside pitch.

October26
04-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Maybe the Sox partied too much after the big win last night? Everybody on that team looked hungover tonight. And I think credit should go to the Rays pitcher, who had a Buehrle-like pitching performance. This game only lasted 2 hours. :(:

SoxGirl4Life

Yuck.

Now for the good news: Minnesota was the only team in the division that won today. We still lead the AL Central by 1.5, and a victory tomorrow secures a winning trip.

I was trying to rationalize this too. I need more time.

turners56
I was pissed to hell after Uribe screwed up that play with Gomes, he ran Gomes to the base. This game is the direct result of Juan Uribe sucking. Game would of been 0-0 had he made a simple play, Sox offense and pitching wouldn't of been so demoralized, that was the play of the game. Buehrle didn't have some of his stuff today, but he found ways out of it...somehow, the Sox defense find a way to screw him over. I've always thought of Uribe as an actual "member" of this White Sox team, but after what happened today, he should be in Ozzie's dog house. He's hitting .160 and doesn't seem to know the basic fundamentals of baseball, what the hell is he doing on this team? Danny Richar, Where are you?

Rant over.

turners56
04-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Frustrated, incorporated... put me out of my misery...

Ok, now that I've let that out, go get 'em tomorrow.

Goddddddd!!!! (Juan Uribe)

Put me out of my misery
Put me out of my misery
Put me out of my
Put me out of my ****ing misery

I've given up (On Juan Uribe)
I'm sick of feeling
Is there nothing you can say

Take this (him) all away
I'm suffocating
Tell me what the **** is wrong
With Juan Uribe?

From Given Up by Linkin Park...

Frontman
04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
When you give a team extra outs like the Sox did tonight, they hand the other team the game.

This one was frustrating as all hell to watch, and you could see the frustration set in on the team.

Time to dust themselves off and stand up and take 2 out of 3 from 'em tomorrow.

SoxSpeed22
04-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Waiting for TheOldRoman to appear and rip on Greg Walker...
That game-plan was about as pathetic as can be against a pitcher. Almost Ron Turner-esque.

October26
04-19-2008, 09:35 PM
When you give a team extra outs like the Sox did tonight, they hand the other team the game.

This one was frustrating as all hell to watch, and you could see the frustration set in on the team.

Time to dust themselves off and stand up and take 2 out of 3 from 'em tomorrow.

Agreed. Winning series is important and with a day off coming up on Monday, I do not want to see any of the regulars out of the line-up tomorrow.

MCHSoxFan
04-19-2008, 09:35 PM

Yuck.

Yep! Thanks for losing KC! Other than that...MAN! THAT SUCKED! :angry:

MCHSoxFan
04-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Agreed. Winning series is important and with a day off coming up on Monday, I do not want to see any of the regulars out of the line-up tomorrow.

ME TOO! I will be the regulars 100% tomorrow for sure...IT BETTER BE! :angry:

SoxGirl4Life
04-19-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't like Toby Hall. I don't have the extreme hate for Uribe, but Hall? :mad:

chisoxmike
04-19-2008, 09:39 PM
I blame Jim Thome and Toby Hall.

cnw8052
04-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Whether or not that out was made, the Sox still did not score a run the rest of the game. To say Uribe lost the game is insane IMO. I just don't understand all this hatred for Juan Uribe day in and day out.

I was pissed to hell after Uribe screwed up that play with Gomes, he ran Gomes to the base. This game is the direct result of Juan Uribe sucking. Game would of been 0-0 had he made a simple play, Sox offense and pitching wouldn't of been so demoralized, that was the play of the game. Buehrle didn't have some of his stuff today, but he found ways out of it...somehow, the Sox defense find a way to screw him over. I've always thought of Uribe as an actual "member" of this White Sox team, but after what happened today, he should be in Ozzie's dog house. He's hitting .160 and doesn't seem to know the basic fundamentals of baseball, what the hell is he doing on this team? Danny Richar, Where are you?

Rant over.

turners56
04-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Whether or not that out was made, the Sox still did not score a run the rest of the game. To say Uribe lost the game is insane IMO. I just don't understand all this hatred for Juan Uribe day in and day out.

It's the momentum that matters. After that play, Buehrle would obviously be unhappy about his players not making a little league caliber play. That whole play was Uribe's fault, he ran Gomes 20 feet until 2nd base and threw it to Cabrera in the worst way possible so he couldn't tag Gomes. The extra out allows the Rays to score 3 runs that inning. Although the game clearly was not over, the fact that Sonantine had a 3 run lead and was already pitching pretty well doesn't help. The offense was obviously demoralized by the fact that the inning SHOULD have been over. We've seen it numerous times, extra outs mean trouble. Today was no exception and most of that blame is given to Juan Uribe. You can say that Buehrle gave up those runs afterward or the Sox offense didn't do squat, but think about the cause and effect, the momentum was gone from the Sox side after that inning, it was evident. The offense looked dead and I knew we were doomed afterwards.

MarySwiss
04-19-2008, 09:54 PM
I really think that if we had been able to AT LEAST mount some sort of threat at some point, we might have blown that pitcher's confidence. Instead we did our best to build it!

Crappy game. Let's get 'em tomorrow.

manders_01
04-19-2008, 09:59 PM
I tell ya what - I was extremely excited to be able to watch this game tonight. Unfortunately, it just wasn't a good game.

They can't play perfect all the time but here's to tomorrow's game being much better. :gulp:

mccoydp
04-19-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm glad I took my wife out to dinner for her birthday instead of sitting at home and watching this game. Yikes; I was expecting a winner.

Go get 'em tomorrow, fellas.

Jollyroger2
04-19-2008, 10:08 PM

Uribe's only redeeming quality is his defense. But if he's going to hit as poorly as he is, he needs to be literally superhuman in the field to make up for his uselessness at the plate. That's probably why every mistake will get jumped on, especially if he's going to be hitting closer to .150 than even .200.

That being said, it's hard to win when five guys in your lineup are batting .170 or worse. Even against a pitcher with a 6-something ERA coming in. :mad:

Come on Sox....wake up.

Tragg
04-19-2008, 10:11 PM
We only struck out 4 times tonight -they struck out 6 times. We didn't waste our outs....they were productive, but our grounders just didn't get through tonight.

btrain929
04-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Not sure why we should make an effort to even discuss this game since the Sox obviously did not make any effort tonight.

At least I'm 3 beers deep into a heavy night of drinking so hopefully I'll forget this even happened come tomorrow morning.

Pathetic game!:angry:

I agree with every part of your post. Except my drink of choice is Watermelon Smirnoff and Cranberry for the night.....mainly because:

1) I'm drinking with a girl, so I had to accomodate her too.
2) I made this drink up and it's actually really ****ing good.

btrain929
04-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Uribe's only redeeming quality is his defense. But if he's going to hit as poorly as he is, he needs to be literally superhuman in the field to make up for his uselessness at the plate. That's probably why every mistake will get jumped on, especially if he's going to be hitting closer to .150 than even .200.

That being said, it's hard to win when five guys in your lineup are batting .170 or worse. Even against a pitcher with a 6-something ERA coming in. :mad:

Come on Sox....wake up.

Not that we should depend on that, but we've been doing it before tonight's game...

04-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Andy Sonnanstine shut us down. Plain and simple. Win tomorrow.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Every season, every team has a "hard luck" pitcher. A guy who throws fairly well yet can't get a lot of support from his teammates.

It looks like Mark has drawn that card this year.

Very frustrating that a pitcher with an ERA of over five and zero reputation for anything makes the Sox look like Little Leaguers tonight.

Then again, why am I not surprised?

Win the damn series tomorrow.

And I am amazed that they screwed up a simple run down play for the second game in a row...guess they didn't work on "fundamentals" in Tuscon as much as Ozzie said they were going to.

Lip

jongarlandlover
04-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Well, honestly, that was just depressing.
At least it was a short game.

Let's just go out and win one tomorrow.

Frater Perdurabo
04-19-2008, 10:44 PM
And I am amazed that they screwed up a simple run down play for the second game in a row...guess they didn't work on "fundamentals" in Tuscon as much as Ozzie said they were going to.

That's because Ozzie's idea of "Fundamentals" is hacking away at bad pitches, especially sliders in the dirt.

Honestly, if I could learn to pitch a slider in the dirt, I think I could make a career striking out the White Sox.

Gammons Peter
04-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Maybe the Sox partied too much after the big win last night? Everybody on that team looked hungover tonight. And I think credit should go to the Rays pitcher, who had a Buehrle-like pitching performance. This game only lasted 2 hours. :(:

I wish he had a Buehrle-like pitching performance, then we would have scored FIVE runs

Gammons Peter
04-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Every season, every team has a "hard luck" pitcher. A guy who throws fairly well yet can't get a lot of support from his teammates.

It looks like Mark has drawn that card this year.

Hard luck? What are you talking about.. The guy got pounded for 12 hits and 5 runs in 7 innings. His ERA for the season is almost 6. Thats complete crap any way you want to slice it, it's not hard luck

Lip Man 1
04-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Gammons;

How well did Buehrle pitch Monday night?

How many runs did the Sox get him Monday night?

How many runs did the Sox get him Saturday?

How many runs did Uribe's mental lapse cost Buehrle Saturday?

Now you understand what I mean by "hard luck" and "not getting a lot of help from his teammates."

Lip

Gammons Peter
04-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Yes, Mark was very good Monday night, tonight he was not.

The Immigrant
04-19-2008, 11:24 PM

Uribe is not the one who threw meatballs to three consecutive batters after getting them to 0-2. Mark's control was off that inning and he got tagged.

RadioheadRocks
04-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Point fingers as much as you like... bottom line tonight's game sucked ass.

Hendu
04-19-2008, 11:37 PM
That wasn't much fun. I had to turn it off after the 7th...just couldn't take anymore. :(:

Jurr
04-19-2008, 11:42 PM
I just finished the archived game. it was awful in the way plane crashes are awful. Ughhhh...
This just goes to show you how screwy baseball is. If Javy Vazquez doesn't get out of that early bases loaded jam last night, that game could've gone much the same way. Buehrle ran into a problem here and there, which gave this kid (whatever the hell his name is) confidence. boom. See you on Sunday. I will go ahead and call it: Sox win in a close one.

ThePopeDonnPall
04-19-2008, 11:43 PM
well, not all of um r gonna be pretty...NEED to win tomorrow though

ksimpson14
04-20-2008, 12:12 AM
well, not all of um r gonna be pretty...NEED to win tomorrow though

Not really :shrug:

voodoochile
04-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Gammons;

How well did Buehrle pitch Monday night?

How many runs did the Sox get him Monday night?

How many runs did the Sox get him Saturday?

Now you understand what I mean by "hard luck" and "not getting a lot of help from his teammates."

Lip

Zero. If Mark had pitched at all effectively thereafter the team could have gotten out of the inning with 0 runs allowed, but he gave up single single single single thereafter to the bottom 1/3 of the lineup and the leadoff guy before striking out Crawford for the final out.

Buehrle got pissed after the team botched the play and choked, it's that simple. Mark's a better pitcher than that. He's at least paid to be a better pitcher than that. He's not some rookie who is allowed to wet his bed every time things go less than perfectly. He's a top two pitcher on a team with a chance to make the playoffs this year. It's time he stood up and acted like it.

Sox weren't going to win tonight anyway (tough when you get 3-hit shutout by the other team's starter), but it isn't Uribe's fault that Mark spit the bit tonight at a crucial time in the game.

TomBradley72
04-20-2008, 12:28 AM
I understand wanting Ramirez or Hall to get some playing time...but not both in the same game...the drop off from Dye/AJ to Ramirez/Hall is pretty steep.

Any night MacDougal's performance is one of the highlights...is a bad night.

Good night.

DickAllen72
04-20-2008, 12:35 AM
I was pissed to hell after Uribe screwed up that play with Gomes, he ran Gomes to the base. This game is the direct result of Juan Uribe sucking.
As for that botched rundown after the pickoff, although Uribe could have made a better throw, I blame Cabrera on that play more for throwing too soon and not running Gomes back toward first base. Even Hawk stated that if you have to make three throws on a play like that, somebody screwed up. IMHO that somebody was Cabrera, who made the third throw necessary.

Madscout
04-20-2008, 12:50 AM
I understand wanting Ramirez or Hall to get some playing time...but not both in the same game...the drop off from Dye/AJ to Ramirez/Hall is pretty steep.

I am waiting and longing for the day I get to read this thread on the WSI boards..."Alexi Ramirez optioned to AAA" where he belongs.

Scottiehaswheels
04-20-2008, 12:55 AM
I am waiting and longing for the day I get to read this thread on the WSI boards..."Alexi Ramirez optioned to AAA" where he belongs.Sounds like he'll be starting in center tomorrow, unless BA gets a start. OG sounds like he'll be starting Swisher over Konerko at 1B tomorrow per the Cubune.

TheOldRoman
04-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Waiting for TheOldRoman to appear and rip on Greg Walker...
That game-plan was about as pathetic as can be against a pitcher. Almost Ron Turner-esque.Sorry I'm late, I was out with the wife. :tongue: I didn't see the game, but a look at the box score says it all.

Horrible pitcher, three hits. Yep.

Buehrle will get hit around a few times a year, so it might as well have come today. Unless he can find a way to hold the opponents to negative runs in his next outing, he'd better hope the offense does him better than the last two times out.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2008, 01:03 AM
...my drink of choice is Watermelon Smirnoff and Cranberry for the night...I made this drink up and it's actually really ****ing good.Yuck.

Palehose Pete
04-20-2008, 01:08 AM

That's what I was thinking... funny that.

SluggersAway
04-20-2008, 01:08 AM
He's a top two pitcher on a team with a chance to make the playoffs this year. It's time he stood up and acted like it.

Yea, Buehrle is all wet behind the ears and has never shown us nothin'!

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2008, 02:36 AM
It's the momentum that matters. After that play, Buehrle would obviously be unhappy about his players not making a little league caliber play. That whole play was Uribe's fault, he ran Gomes 20 feet until 2nd base and threw it to Cabrera in the worst way possible so he couldn't tag Gomes. The extra out allows the Rays to score 3 runs that inning. Although the game clearly was not over, the fact that Sonantine had a 3 run lead and was already pitching pretty well doesn't help. The offense was obviously demoralized by the fact that the inning SHOULD have been over. We've seen it numerous times, extra outs mean trouble. Today was no exception and most of that blame is given to Juan Uribe. You can say that Buehrle gave up those runs afterward or the Sox offense didn't do squat, but think about the cause and effect, the momentum was gone from the Sox side after that inning, it was evident. The offense looked dead and I knew we were doomed afterwards.

Blaming that loss on Uribe is purely asinine!

JoeClutch24
04-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Last time I checked you have to score at least 1 run to win

LoveYourSuit
04-20-2008, 03:06 AM
Sorry to bring this up but we are hitting a huge .239 this year after this game tonight.

Uribe's **** up or not, we need to get our guys hitting for average rather than swininging for the fensces all the time. We are scoring a ton of runs right now but most is due to walks and HRs. IF we face a control pitcher like tonight we have ZERO chance to compete.

By the way, I blame Cabrera more about that run down botch than I would Uribe. Cabrera gave up the ball almost as soon as he got it.

Cabrera is lacking it appears on these types of fundemantals because on Friday's botch rundown he failed to cover 3rd Base also.

Ozzie, a former SS, needs to get on him for this.

It's Dankerific
04-20-2008, 03:43 AM
Where is the parade for Toby's hit??? thats what really matters here.

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Sorry to bring this up but we are hitting a huge .239 this year after this game tonight.

Uribe's **** up or not, we need to get our guys hitting for average rather than swininging for the fensces all the time. We are scoring a ton of runs right now but most is due to walks and HRs. IF we face a control pitcher like tonight we have ZERO chance to compete.

With Ozzie as manager, Walker as hitting coach, a minor league system that only cares about hitting for power, and Hawk as a close personal friend of JR, why would anyone expect the Sox to deviate from a "hack for the five run homer" mentality?

Tragg
04-20-2008, 09:02 AM
"hack for the five run homer" mentality?
Beats hacking for the single and the out to the right side of the infield and refusing to walk, which was 2007's approach.

Parrothead
04-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Hard luck? What are you talking about.. The guy got pounded for 12 hits and 5 runs in 7 innings. His ERA for the season is almost 6. Thats complete crap any way you want to slice it, it's not hard luck

I did not see the game (thank the lord) but I was going to say that after looking at the box scores. MB apparently is keeping pace with his last 2 years - a .500 pitcher. Maybe the Sox got rid of the wrong guy-Garland

cws05champ
04-20-2008, 09:37 AM
That play was not completely Uribe's fault. Crede was behind OC at the 2B bag and the final throw was intended for him not OC. So Cabrera had a hand in it as well.
If I'm Ozzie, they are working on rundowns until they finally get it. That's twice in this series they have screwed up a rundown.

Frontman
04-20-2008, 09:51 AM
I did not see the game (thank the lord) but I was going to say that after looking at the box scores. MB apparently is keeping pace with his last 2 years - a .500 pitcher. Maybe the Sox got rid of the wrong guy-Garland

Garland is currently sitting at 2-2, with a 4.81 ERA.
Mark is currently at 1-3 with a 5.96 ERA.

So in 4 starts, Garland is the better of the two pitchers. How about we see how the season unfolds and also see where Jon winds up prior to determining if he or Mark were the better of the two.

alohafri
04-20-2008, 09:54 AM

Any night MacDougal's performance is one of the highlights...is a bad night.

Good night.

This has been my beef with Ozzie Manuel since he/they took over the team. I understand the need to give guys a game off here and there, especially on artificial turf. But why does he have to give two or three guys the day off in the same game, even if it is against Tampa Bay?

cws05champ
04-20-2008, 10:03 AM

*****.... Mark gave up 1 and two runs his last two games prior. He was off tonight and his D didn't help him. He is better than Garland by a mile.

SoxGirl4Life
04-20-2008, 10:12 AM
In the old saying, "you win 60, you lose 60, and its the other 42 that make the difference"- Yesterday was one of those 60 loses. Thursday was one of the "other 42".

Soxman219
04-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Last night was a bitter pill to swallow, but luckily the Twins are the only team in the Central that won yesterday. I hope Danks and the offense steps it up today.

Grzegorz
04-20-2008, 10:40 AM
With Ozzie as manager, Walker as hitting coach, a minor league system that only cares about hitting for power, and Hawk as a close personal friend of JR, why would anyone expect the Sox to deviate from a "hack for the five run homer" mentality?

Because Ozzie said so? It was Ozzie Guillen that wanted to build his team around speed, defense, pitching and the fundamentals.

Tragg
04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Because Ozzie said so? It was Ozzie Guillen that wanted to build his team around speed, defense, pitching and the fundamentals.
That's what he said he wanted to do...he then put Mack in CF, elevated impatient slap hitting in importance well above defense, has a team that can't execute a rundown, etc.

This team doesn't steal much (at all), but Swisher and Quentin can get around the bases. The veteran core is pretty slow though.

Parrothead
04-20-2008, 11:21 AM
*****.... Mark gave up 1 and two runs his last two games prior. He was off tonight and his D didn't help him. He is better than Garland by a mile.

Not in the last 2 years....

MB
12 W 13 L 4.99 ERA 204.1 innings
10 W 9 L 3.63 ERA 201.1 innings

JG
18 W 7 L 4.51 ERA 211.1 innings
10 W 13 L 4.23 ERA 208.1 innings

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-20-2008, 11:29 AM
The ground balls we hit today just kinda walked towards 2B and SS all night...we really weren't slapping the ball around like we were yesterday....

And yes...Cabrerra was to blame on that botched "should-been-an-out" play...Crede was there at 2B waiting for the throw and Cabrerra was still waiting for the ball....

Sucky sucky sucky game that I turned off in the 8th...just hope that we go 2-1 instead of 1-2 against the Rays....

TomBradley72
04-20-2008, 12:09 PM
The ground balls we hit today just kinda walked towards 2B and SS all night...we really weren't slapping the ball around like we were yesterday....

And yes...Cabrerra was to blame on that botched "should-been-an-out" play...Crede was there at 2B waiting for the throw and Cabrerra was still waiting for the ball....

Sucky sucky sucky game that I turned off in the 8th...just hope that we go 2-1 instead of 1-2 against the Rays....

They were ALL to blame. PK, OC, Uribe....what the hell...I learned in T-ball that you run the player BACK to the base he came from, not the advancing base. The fact that the rundown was ending at 2B is an indication they didn't know what the hell they were doing.

Buehrle not off to the best start...WHIP approaching 2.0, very high OBA...he and Dotel and MacDougal are all grouped as the three worst pitchers on the staff so far this year.

Frater Perdurabo
04-20-2008, 04:08 PM

I know it's hard to believe, given his chronic diarrhea of the mouth, but Ozzie's actions speak louder than his words. And Ozzie has shown that he likes hitters who hack, hack, hack.

Oldfellah
04-20-2008, 09:53 PM
As for that botched rundown after the pickoff, although Uribe could have made a better throw, I blame Cabrera on that play more for throwing too soon and not running Gomes back toward first base. Even Hawk stated that if you have to make three throws on a play like that, somebody screwed up. IMHO that somebody was Cabrera, who made the third throw necessary.

Bingo,, he threw it back as soon as he got it... RUSH JOB and Uribe waiting too long hurt too... but it's 1 loss and looking into the future, we will win Sunday's game..:cool: