PDA

View Full Version : NY Yankees Series in September

Mots09
04-19-2008, 06:45 PM
We are thinking of flying out of Mid-way to Long Island to go into Yankee Stadium to watch this series.

My question is has any of you been to Yankee Stadium, and can you recommend a place to stay that is easily accessible to the stadium (Never been to NY). I know Long Island is east but we were thinking of cabbing to a recommened hotel.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

ChiTownTrojan
04-19-2008, 06:48 PM
No, I've never been there. But I just wanted to say that I too am going to do my best to be there. Not easy since it's an out-of-town game during the week, but I've got no problem calling in sick on Monday.

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-20-2008, 03:30 PM
I’m assuming from your message that you’re flying into Islip to take advantage of Southwest, but have no other need to spend time on Long Island, and do not plan to have a car.

First, remember that unless you have someone to drive you, it's neither cheap nor quick to get all the way out to Islip (I wish it were, because then I could take advantage of Southwest fares). So before you book that MDW-ISP ticket on Southwest, take a quick look on Orbitz or Expedia - if you can get into LGA or JFK, it's worth an extra $20-$40 (perhaps more if you're short on time) in my opinion. EWR is also very close to the city, although the NJ Transit train from the airport to Penn Station is flagrantly overpriced ($15 each way for a 20-minute commuter rail trip?!).

Having never looked for a hotel in NYC, I can't make specific recommendations. However, just as there would be no need to look for a hotel close to Bridgeport (you'd stay wherever you like downtown and then take the L), there’s no need to judge hotels by proximity to the South Bronx - find whatever fits your budget and preferences in Manhattan, and take the 4 or D trains to Yankee Stadium. No matter where you are, you’re going to be close enough to a subway station for it to qualify as “convenient.” Even something in Lower Manhattan (and I bet some of the hotels catering to Wall Street have some extra capacity these days) is a straight shot on the 4 express.

In fact, that probably means that you could try Priceline/Hotwire for Manhattan without worrying about ending up in the middle of nowhere (disclaimer: I’ve never used Priceline/Hotwire for anything). This forum will give you a better idea of what bids have worked for people in NYC, as well as what hotels you might get if you bid in a particular category/location: http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=3 (http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showforum=3)

If nothing in Manhattan works out, you can try right across the river in Jersey (as long as you stay adjacent to the PATH train, which will deliver you to the D train at Herald Square for $1.50).

Hope that helps a little bit.

C-Dawg
04-20-2008, 05:32 PM
When I went there last summer, we stayed at the cheapest place I could find, which turned out to be in an industrial area in Queens. Even getting to a restaurant required a bus ride. Getting to Yankee Stadium required a bus and two subways (7 and 4). It was worth it however, and riding all around town on the subways is really a lot of fun. I've said it here before; New York's mass-transit system makes ours look small and quaint.

Mots09
04-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for your help "The Guy on the L"

ksimpson14
04-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks that Guy on The L, I was thinking about it too for any time, VERY helpful post

Any specific areas to avoid? Safety ever a concern in any areas of mass transit or near the park? Pleading ignorance here because I have no idea

peeonwrigley
04-20-2008, 08:55 PM
FWIW I just booked a trip for May (24-27).

$179/person on United (LGA), Pricelined a 4-star hotel in Midtown for $150/night. A cab between LGA and Midtown is usually $30ish.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks that Guy on The L, I was thinking about it too for any time, VERY helpful post

Any specific areas to avoid? Safety ever a concern in any areas of mass transit or near the park? Pleading ignorance here because I have no idea

I would echo "Guy on the L's" post, especially concerning the airports. I would definitely stay in Manhattan, and avoid the outer boroughs. Safety isn't a concern if you stay in Manhattan. When I first came out here looking for an apartment, I stayed at the Comfort Inn Central Park West on West 71st. It is in a great location (good area, close to the D Train), but it is very small, cheap, and lacks service. If you are looking for a good location with only a bed and bathroom, this is all you need.

Safety on public transit around the park is not a problem before and after games. It is like the Red Line in Chicago in that the Subway stop is right next to the stadium (if not closer).

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Safety isn't a concern if you stay in Manhattan.

Safety on public transit around the park is not a problem before and after games. It is like the Red Line in Chicago in that the Subway stop is right next to the stadium (if not closer).

Couldn't have said it better.

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-20-2008, 11:47 PM
FWIW I just booked a trip for May (24-27).

$179/person on United (LGA), Pricelined a 4-star hotel in Midtown for $150/night. A cab between LGA and Midtown is usually $30ish.

If you're going 4-star on the hotel, a cab is no problem :D: But in case anyone reading this is flying into LGA and wants to get into Manhattan as cheaply as possible, it's much easier via public transit than it looks: after baggage claim, go outside and look for the green "public buses" shelter. Take the M60 to Astoria Blvd & 31st St (can't miss it - there's an elevated subway station, and most of the bus will clear out), where you can transfer to the N and W trains.

Note that NYC buses don't accept dollar bills - it's been a while since I last had to purchase a Metrocard at LGA, but I used to get them at the newsstand in the upper-level food court near the American Airlines ticket counters. The unlimited-ride passes are almost always worth it, so you may as well get it right away.

Finally, if you're coming back to LGA via public transit, here's a handy tip: the bus loops around to the US/DL/NW terminals before stopping at the Central Terminal Building (where UA and AA are). If there's traffic, and you're running late, this can add a lot of time. Thus, just as soon as you pass over the Grand Central Parkway (expressway) and enter airport property (you'll see a hangar straight ahead with a vintage AA logo), pull the cord to request the first stop. This first stop isn't announced as the official stop for the Central Terminal Building, but it's actually right across the street - you've just potentially saved 10-15 minutes :D:

Oh, and if you're looking for something halfway between public transit and a cab (both in terms of price and convenience), these guys are probably the best known: http://www.nyairportservice.com/ But as you might guess from my username, I always opt for public transit...

petekat
04-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Hey- I live on the East coast and have been to several Yankee games (was up there opening weekend). Good advice on flying into LGA, but don't sweat it if you fly into Islip. The LIRR runs into downtown, about 50 minutes into town, so if you plan ahead it's very doable. I would check priceline or hotwire for hotels, I was up in NY recently and stayed at a decent hotel, a Best Western by the convention center on the West side of Manhattan for about $110. Depending upon time of year (other conventions, weekday or weekend) you can do much better, I've stayed at the Parker Meridien, Mid-Town Hilton, and Sheratons for between $120-150. One thing to note, which I didnt realize until the last game I went to, don't go to the stadium with any bags, even small backpacks. They are hyper sensitive about security at Yankee stadium, if they make you check your bag (I had a laptop having gone to the park after work meetings, which they wouldnt let in), you have to go to the official bag check at a sports store across the street- they charge $20 per item, quite a racket. Have a great time, will probably see you there, along with 5000 or so other Sox fans (kudos to the many other Sox fans who made it to Camden this week, we had about 20% of the crowd on a slow weeknight)

ChiSox65
04-21-2008, 02:58 AM
We are thinking of flying out of Mid-way to Long Island to go into Yankee Stadium to watch this series.

My question is has any of you been to Yankee Stadium, and can you recommend a place to stay that is easily accessible to the stadium (Never been to NY). I know Long Island is east but we were thinking of cabbing to a recommened hotel.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

We stayed near Times Square and just took the Subway to the stadium........It's an easy inexpensive trip and comes out across from the stadium.

IlliniSox4Life
04-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Without much experience I can echo the comments that the subway is pretty easy.

I didn't stay in NY, but a couple years ago I took the Chinatown bus up from Boston and didn't have any problems getting around on the subway.

nysox35
04-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I agree that LGA would be an easier airport, but if you get a much better deal w/ Southwest, I wouldn't sweat Islip. It's not to far from the Ronkonkoma LIRR station and it'd only take you about an hour to get into the city. There's a shuttle for $5 that will take you from the Airport to the Train station. LIRR will put you at Penn Station in West Midtown.

I haven't ever stayed in a hotel here, but I have had visitors stay at Herald Square Hotel in Midtown. No frills and small, but it's cheap for the area.

Also agreed that staying most anywhere in Manhattan is safe. Avoid anything above 96th street, or anything east of Avenue B (not even sure if there are hotels over that way) and you're good to go. The 4 and D trains are lightning quick up to the stadium.

Also, a personal tip...hit the hole in the wall place "Yankee Eatery" (right next to Billy's) on River Ave before the game. They serve 24 oz cans for the 12 oz bottle price of all other establishments.

Enjoy!

jenn2080
04-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Fly JetBlue. They have the same prices as Southwest and they fly into JFK.

Mr.1Dog
04-21-2008, 11:29 AM
If you fly United or AA, there are usually flights every hour on the hour. My best advice would be to fly out earlier than later. The early flights are usually empty and you have a better chance of getting out on time. When I was there in December, we stayed at the Affinia 50 on 54th and Third I think. It was about $170 a night right around Christmas. It had easy access to trains, (3,4,5) and it was close to other touristy places like Times Square and Rockefellar Center.

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Fly JetBlue. They have the same prices as Southwest and they fly into JFK.

This is true - if the prices work out, it's a really nice little airline. Watching live TV on an airplane never gets old :D:

btrain929
04-21-2008, 06:24 PM
My recommendation? Save your money. That place is an absolute dump. The fans are all into the game which creates a good baseball atmosphere, but the stadium itself is garbage.

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-21-2008, 06:31 PM
My recommendation? Save your money. That place is an absolute dump. The fans are all into the game which creates a good baseball atmosphere, but the stadium itself is garbage.

I don't love the place (or the team that plays there), but I hardly think that's a reason not to take advantage of the last few opportunities to see such an important place in the history of AL ball and baseball in general.

btrain929
04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't love the place (or the team that plays there), but I hardly think that's a reason not to take advantage of the last few opportunities to see such an important place in the history of AL ball and baseball in general.

Well I went there and came back unimpressed. I wished I could have saved the money I spent on flights/hotels/cabs etc. Now if money isn't an issue and you just want to pay for the experience and/or a story to tell down the road, then my point wouldn't be relevant for you.

C-Dawg
04-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Well I went there and came back unimpressed. I wished I could have saved the money I spent on flights/hotels/cabs etc...

I went there (and Shea) and had a wonderful time. I highly recommend the experience to those interested. Yes the place is a dump but I didn't let that spoil the fun.

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-21-2008, 10:13 PM
I went there (and Shea) and had a wonderful time. I highly recommend the experience to those interested. Yes the place is a dump but I didn't let that spoil the fun.

Shea is also a good time - the atmosphere isn't much, but I can't figure out why it always got such a bad rap. Like Comiskey (and unlike Yankee Stadium), you can still bring in outside food; there's a lot of great food in Queens to pick up on the way there. Taking the 7 train and eating Korean food at a Mets game - I can see the steam coming out of John Rocker's ears already :D:

It's also the first (and only) place I've ever gotten a foul ball (just outside the foul pole in RF).

peeonwrigley
04-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Taking the 7 train and eating Korean food at a Mets game - I can see the steam coming out of John Rocker's ears already :D:

Any time I hear anything about the 7 train I immediately think of Rocker.:rolling: