PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Quentin

Madvora
04-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Is anyone else stunned to know that Quentin is only hitting .245?
He's being very productive up there. Without seeing the stats, I assumed he was hitting at least .300.

He's #5 in AL RBIs with 15.

Sockinchisox
04-19-2008, 06:28 PM
He's being very productive up there. Without seeing the stats, I assumed he was hitting at least .300.

It seems like it should be higher because the guy gets on base a lot, but the hits that he gets are usually big.

JermaineDye05
04-19-2008, 06:28 PM

I think he's another case of what Hawk says "Don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it". His average has been on the rise after the last 2 games. Stone has pointed the fact that he his now going to right center a lot as a great sign for him, before he was pulling everything or going up the middle. Now that he is driving the ball into right center it shows that that shoulder is doing pretty damn good.

Madvora
04-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Oh yeah, how about that awesome bat flip a few days ago too!
The league should have added a few points on for that.

oeo
04-19-2008, 06:31 PM
It seems like it should be higher because the guy gets on base a lot, but the hits that he gets are usually big.

:hawk
Don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it.

Carlos has been huge this year. :thumbsup:

sullythered
04-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Oh yeah, how about that awesome bat flip a few days ago too!
The league should have added a few points on for that.
Hey, anybody know of a place on the interweb that I might be able to get that clip. I missed it when it happened and I'd like to see if it was as grandiose as some have made it out to be.

rdwj
04-19-2008, 06:32 PM
I think he got off to a bit of a slow start. That average should climb some.

Vernam
04-19-2008, 06:32 PM

He's #5 in AL RBIs with 15.Yeah, that really is surprising. Almost "Crede-esque."

The kid just looks totally focused on the field, which for me is a significant contrast with some of the young players that have been coming up through our farm system. That might not be a fair comparison, because he was projected to be a stud all along. But I'm impressed by his maturity so far.

Vernam

gobears1987
04-19-2008, 06:33 PM
:hawk
Don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it.

Carlos has been huge this year. :thumbsup:

People can rag on Hawk all they want, but that frequently used phrase of Hawk's is so true.

Madvora
04-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Hey, anybody know of a place on the interweb that I might be able to get that clip. I missed it when it happened and I'd like to see if it was as grandiose as some have made it out to be.
I was just looking for it myself. I thought the Sox site used to have archived highlights, but I can't find that now.
It was much more pronounced than AJ's flip against the Dodgers. Carlos threw the bat 10x as far. It almost looked like he was whipping it into the dugout.

Sockinchisox
04-19-2008, 06:36 PM

White Sox Top Plays Archive (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=cws)

sullythered
04-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks.:smile:

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-19-2008, 06:43 PM
I was surprised when I saw his average too. He's still been a big surprise to me. Kenny made a great move so far, IMO.

sullythered
04-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah, the average isn't there yet, but right now he's on pace for 43 homers 160 RBI and a .373 OBP.

I'll take it!:cool:

ChiTownTrojan
04-19-2008, 06:52 PM
It helps that all the guys around him have been extremely productive as well. His RBI total so far probably is a bit inflated from what we should expect. But his presence at the plate and ability to take walks has and will continue to help the team.

btrain929
04-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I do see him make a good amount of his outs on hard hit balls, too. That's the main thing that sticks out to me.

Jjav829
04-19-2008, 07:01 PM
A little. The average doesn't look so good, but all of his other numbers thus far are great.

.373 OBP
.551 SLG
.924 OPS
7 BB/ 8 K
4 HR
15 RBI
14 R

KyWhiSoxFan
04-19-2008, 07:03 PM
His low average is deceiving because he usually puts the ball in play and I've seen him make some outs on hard-hit balls. And his OBS is pretty good. If he keeps swinging the bat like this all year-long, he will be a great pickup.

Tragg
04-19-2008, 07:13 PM
He's got a .370 obp and he's hitting for power.

Better not look at our leadoff hitter's all important batting average.

JorgeFabregas
04-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Batting average is not a good measurement of a batter's performance. His OPS is .924, which is all-star caliber.

voodoochile
04-19-2008, 07:20 PM
I am pretty sure he's reached base twice in the last week on errors too, which tends to reinforce the perception that he is getting hits to reach base.

tick53
04-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Carlos has been a great pick up. I look for him to have a huge year. The guy hustles in the field, had a good arm and pop in his bat. If he stays healthy, he will be a big contributor this season.

hose
04-20-2008, 09:59 AM
The bat flip + the forearm shiver to the TB catcher has elevated Carlos to being my second favorite player on the team.

Madvora
04-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Early in the season DJ brought up how he's got a lot of Dante Bichette and Jose Canseco in his batting stance.

I was thinking that about Canseco too before I heard that.

voodoochile
04-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Early in the season DJ brought up how he's got a lot of Dante Bichette and Jose Canseco in his batting stance.

Yep, especially the hyper active practice cuts he takes while standing in the box. I noticed it too.

Elephant
04-20-2008, 11:41 AM

He looks like Canseco overall. Same build and haircut. A little smaller though.

Him and Swisher both are hitting for unremarkable averages but you can't say a bad thing about either of them. So if anybody still places a lot of importance on AVG, learn from this. It doesn't really mean much. With that said, you can reasonably expect Quentin's average to continue to go up since he's getting on base a lot and appears to have a good eye and knowledge of the strike zone and everything. If he'd been hitting .320 with a .320 OBP, then it would clearly be just a hot start and you'd expect him to get worse from there. Just by looking at him I gotta think he's at least a .285 hitter. That'll happen once he starts hitting with nobody on, which is important too.

jabrch
04-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Batting average is not a good measurement of a batter's performance. His OPS is .924, which is all-star caliber.

Batting average is a good measure of how you perform when a pitcher throws strikes.

How many walks do you think he will get off of Beckett or Halliday, etc. in the playoffs? How about Santana in the WS?

I love what CQ has done - but to discount the importance of getting hits may be misevaluating hitters.

Elephant
04-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Batting average is a good measure of how you perform when a pitcher throws strikes.

How many walks do you think he will get off of Beckett or Halliday, etc. in the playoffs? How about Santana in the WS?

I love what CQ has done - but to discount the importance of getting hits may be misevaluating hitters.

Oh, god.

Like I've said before, you want to get to the playoffs first. And it's not easy to hit "strikes" from any of the pitchers you mentioned in October. Sure, aces aren't going to give a lot of free passes, but someone with a good eye is going to see more pitches, which is absolutely huge against an elite pitcher for both the hitter in question and the ones hitting behind him. So discounting a player who takes a lot of walks may be (is) misevaluating what he brings to the table.

Most pitchers you'll face in the playoffs are hittable anyway. Beckett, Santana and company are the exceptions. You're most likely not going to hit them, so what you want to do is make them work and get them out of there so that you can take some shots at the bullpen.

Craig Grebeck
04-20-2008, 11:04 PM

Not really true at all. Teams with great OBP are better offensively than teams who hit for a high average.

santo=dorf
04-20-2008, 11:08 PM

Oh I got it. A player can only draw a walk if the pitcher isn't throwing strikes. A batter has no control on how the pitcher chooses his pitch selection.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

04-20-2008, 11:19 PM

Yes! I knew it. I was just going to ask that in a post about Canseco.

I wish I could find a AB of Canseco to compare him too but I remember both of them looking very similiar at the plate. Scary looking stance for the pitcher. I wouldn't want to pitch to him.

UofCSoxFan
04-20-2008, 11:37 PM
I think Quentin has had more hard outs or lineouts right at people than anyone else this year....you add 4 or 5 hits and his average jumps considerably.

Off topic, but you look at Swisher's average alone (under .260 before Sunday's game) and he looks mediocre, but his OBP is through the roof.

Stats are a great tool to anlalyze and compare players, but they often do not tell the entire story, especially 2 weeks into the season.

Scottiehaswheels
04-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Just taking a look at all the walks these guys have accumulated already this year and was surprised by how many Cabrera has already... Quentin/Swisher I figured would be a lot, but Cabrera with the 2nd most on the team? Swish has 17, Cabrera has 11, followed by Konerko with 10...

oeo
04-21-2008, 12:07 AM
I do see him make a good amount of his outs on hard hit balls, too. That's the main thing that sticks out to me.

This is very true. His batting average isn't indicative to how well he's swinging the bat right now.

rowand33
04-21-2008, 12:11 AM
As a team, our OBP is 100 points higher than our average.

LOVE that.

BTFU
04-21-2008, 01:26 AM
What date was the bat-flip?

Vestigio
04-21-2008, 01:30 AM
April 15

Frater Perdurabo
04-21-2008, 07:13 AM
As a team, our OBP is 100 points higher than our average.

LOVE that.

Agreed, but I'd love it more if the team batting average was .280 and the team OBP was .380. :tongue:

Thome25
04-21-2008, 07:56 AM

He's #5 in AL RBIs with 15.

That just shows that stats don't always paint the entire picture when it comes to a player.

spiffie
04-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Santana actually gives up walks more frequently in the playoffs than he does in the regular season, according to his postseason performance so far.

Considering Roy Halliday has never pitched in the postseason, or really in any high-pressure situation, in his career I'd say it is a crap shoot how he will do. He might just as easily pull a Sabathia and crap the bed as pull a Beckett.

The average in 2007 in MLB was 6.6 walks per game in the regular season. In the 2007 playoffs the average per game was 7.5 walks.

soxfanreggie
04-21-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm impressed with what he's given us so far. I hope if he hits a slump that people don't jump all over him. He has a chance to grow into a good player here, and definitely a fan favorite.

fquaye149
04-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Let's just say this:

I'm glad that Kenny didn't settle for A Carlos Quentin

kkappelk
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Some of the comments I've read in this post are a little crazy. I think Carlos has a ton of potential, but come on with the Cubby-esque over inflation of his performance. Tell me specifically why I can expect his average to climb? Has he had a history of slow starts? Is he playing at 70% right now? Please support your statements with some facts.

Don't take my comments wrong, I do think Carlos is a great pickup for the Sox and hopefully he'll develop into a great player. He's looked really good in the field so far and has displayed some power at the plate. But he also looks lost sometimes at the plate. I'm concerned about how he's going to do later in the year once a more complete scouting report is developed around his strengths/weaknesses at the plate.

Craig Grebeck
04-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Some of the comments I've read in this post are a little crazy. I think Carlos has a ton of potential, but come on with the Cubby-esque over inflation of his performance. Tell me specifically why I can expect his average to climb? Has he had a history of slow starts? Is he playing at 70% right now? Please support your statements with some facts.

Don't take my comments wrong, I do think Carlos is a great pickup for the Sox and hopefully he'll develop into a great player. He's looked really good in the field so far and has displayed some power at the plate. But he also looks lost sometimes at the plate. I'm concerned about how he's going to do later in the year once a more complete scouting report is developed around his strengths/weaknesses at the plate.
He has been heralded as one of the best prospects in baseball for years and spent the last two seasons in and out of MLB and AAA; trust me, there's a scouting report out on him. Why would I expect his average to climb? Well, for one, his LD% is heinously low right now -- probably due to the fact that he is playing at 80% or so right now. It's not in line with his career numbers, so expectedly his BABIP is .220 -- also rather low. Once he starts hitting more line drives, up comes the batting average. Not that it needs to come up or anything -- his OPS is .897 and his GPA is .291.

kkappelk
04-21-2008, 02:59 PM
He has been heralded as one of the best prospects in baseball for years and spent the last two seasons in and out of MLB and AAA; trust me, there's a scouting report out on him. Why would I expect his average to climb? Well, for one, his LD% is heinously low right now -- probably due to the fact that he is playing at 80% or so right now. It's not in line with his career numbers, so expectedly his BABIP is .220 -- also rather low. Once he starts hitting more line drives, up comes the batting average. Not that it needs to come up or anything -- his OPS is .897 and his GPA is .291.

It's not in line with his career numbers? Are you including his numbers from high school? He has a lifetime BA of .232 in the big leagues. What's to say his current .241 BA in MLB isn't as good as he'll every get? (rhetorical question).

Regardless, let's hope he turns out to be a stud.

doublem23
04-21-2008, 03:05 PM

He only has 54 at bats! You realize if he had 2 more hits, he'd be batting .292, right?

Foulke You
04-21-2008, 03:27 PM

There are some definite similarities in batting stances between Quentin and Canseco however, Canseco's placement in the box was different. Canseco used to ridiclously crowd the plate and practically have one of his feet touching the black on the inside part of home plate which would drive pitchers nuts. Quentin doesn't seem to crowd it nearly as much. I think it is definitely the crouch and arm position for Quentin's stance that reminds us of Canseco's stance.

http://www.canseconet.com/stance.jpg

Craig Grebeck
04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
It's not in line with his career numbers? Are you including his numbers from high school? He has a lifetime BA of .232 in the big leagues. What's to say his current .241 BA in MLB isn't as good as he'll every get? (rhetorical question).

Regardless, let's hope he turns out to be a stud.
Uhh, I'm referring to his minor league numbers and his major/minor league peripherals.

SouthPaw72
04-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Carlos is really doing very well and I think he will be another fan favorite. He just recently started showing his worth so I think we will see him hitting .300 before long.