PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Starters Available

34 Inch Stick
04-29-2002, 01:42 PM
As the season moves on it the need for another veteran starter remains apparent. We know what kind of trade bait we have. The question is who is going to be available? Some teams are fading fast and others have weaknesses they would like to improve on. What team do we trade with and for which pitcher?

Iwritecode
04-29-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
As the season moves on it the need for another veteran starter remains apparent. We know what kind of trade bait we have. The question is who is going to be available? Some teams are fading fast and others have weaknesses they would like to improve on. What team do we trade with and for which pitcher?

I know this has been mentioned before but if the Cubs continue to slide, Leiber might be a possibility. I don't know if they would do it because he is one of the more popular players over there but he would be a pretty good addition IMO. I'm horrible at making up trades so I don't know who we would give up...

doctor30th
04-29-2002, 01:51 PM
Actually I heard Bere.

raul12
04-29-2002, 01:57 PM
how about we sign matt karchner, and then trade him to the cubbies insisting that they need him more than lieber for their stretch run?

I've always been a fan of getting lieber from the cubs....i just don't know if it's a pipe dream or a possibility.

doctor30th
04-29-2002, 01:59 PM
Yeah, we would have to trade him for Mark Prior right.

moochpuppy
04-29-2002, 02:08 PM
While I like Lieber and think that he's a good pitcher, I would hope the Sox wouldn't give up too much for him. In the last three seasons he has pitched almost 700 innings, averaging 230 a year. That is amazing in this day and age. I just think the Cubs have over-worked him and at the age of 32 may be ready to go through burn out.

moochpuppy
04-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Here are some that may become available:

Steve Sparks, Detroit (1-2, 3.00, 15k's)
Kenny Rogers, Texas (2-0, 1.91, 21k's)
Robert Person, Philadelphia (0-3, 5.23, 18k's)
Jon Lieber, Cubs (3-0, 1.73, 12k's)
Denny Neagle, Colorado (2-1, 5.65, 17k's)

Lieber would probably cost the most in return.

Chisox353014
04-29-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Actually I heard Bere.

:o: Not The Launching Pad!
:KW
"Hmm, let's see...Bere for Thomas, Rauch, and Ordonez? Throw in that Richard Pryor kid I keep hearing so much about and you've got a deal!"

mack10zie
04-29-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Here are some that may become available:

Steve Sparks, Detroit (1-2, 3.00, 15k's)
Kenny Rogers, Texas (2-0, 1.91, 21k's)
Robert Person, Philadelphia (0-3, 5.23, 18k's)
Jon Lieber, Cubs (3-0, 1.73, 12k's)
Denny Neagle, Colorado (2-1, 5.65, 17k's)

Lieber would probably cost the most in return.

Of all these guys I would probably want Lieber depending on the demands of the Cubs.

A few others who could be possibilities:

Scott Erickson, Baltimore (1-2, 2.89, 15 K's)
Paul Wilson, Tampa (3-2, 3.57, 14 K's)
Bobby Jones, San Diego (2-1,3.55, 12 K's)

voodoochile
04-29-2002, 02:57 PM
You would think that Lee Hummel and a few pitching prospects (nothing currently above AAA - or at most one of Wright/Garland and a guy in AAA)would land Leiber. Flubbies need position players desperately.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-29-2002, 03:03 PM
Erickson would be my choice. They said on Baseball tonight that he would likely be dealt this season. He would be a great addition to go along with Burlymon and Ritchie, but at a steep cost.

hold2dibber
04-29-2002, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't touch Neagle and his monsterous contract (and neither will KW/JR).

Lieber would cost an absolute fortune and, in light of his recent workload, probably wouldn't be worth it.

I think Sparks would be a nice pick up. So would Erickson (depending on his contract situation). The guy I'd really like to get would be Jeff Weaver. ESPN.com reported that he is available, although the asking price is steep - but I'd rather get him than Lieber if we're going to give up a lot, since he's considerably younger (maybe Lee, Harris and Wright? Maybe that would be too steep; how about Lee, Wright and a low minors pitcher?). I hate him when he's on the other team, but he's the kind of guy you want on your team.

I also heard that Scott Schoenweis (sp?) of the Angels is available. I would think any Ranger starter would be available for the right price (Ismael "the blister" Valdes, anyone? Hideki Irabu, perhaps?). I'd still love to have Appier, and if the Angels continue to flounder, I'd guess they'd be willing to move him (but he probably makes too much for KW/JR to be interested in). I wonder if the Royals would part with Suppan and how much it would take to get him - I think he'd be a solid #3 guy.

Lots of possibilities out there, and with the Division up for grabs, I sincerely hope KW goes for it.

Foulke You
04-29-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
Erickson would be my choice. They said on Baseball tonight that he would likely be dealt this season. He would be a great addition to go along with Burlymon and Ritchie, but at a steep cost.

Scott Erickson would be nice but I think Baltimore would want something big for him. I doubt you could entice them with just Aaron Rowand and a prospect.

Getting Lieber from the Cubs is a pipe dream. I don't believe the Cubs will trade him just as we wouldn't have dealt Buehrle to the Cubs when we were struggling last year. He is a good pitcher who would help tremendously but the Sox would have to give up a TON to get him away from the North Siders.

I think Steve Sparks would be a good guy to have as a #5 starter. I've always liked knuckle ball pitchers and the Tigers might let us have him cheap if they are willing to deal him to a team in their division. With a little more run support I think Sparks could be valuable for the stretch run much the same way Tim Belcher was to the '93 Sox team.

Aaron Sele and Kevin Appier could become available if the Angels continue to struggle. The Angels have struggled to score runs and they desperately need offense and power which the Sox have a surplus of. If the Sox could package Carlos Lee and prospects to get one of these guys, they should go for it.

hold2dibber
04-29-2002, 03:43 PM
Like I said, I think Appier would be a great addition. But I think Sele is done - he's pitched a lot of innings over the last few years and, if memory serves, his ERA has gone up over each of the last 3-4 years. Plus, I think he's 0-6 or something like that in the playoffs lifetime. I think he's done, and I wouldn't touch him unless they're giving him away (and maybe picking up some of his contract).

raul12
04-29-2002, 03:56 PM
I've always liked knuckle ball pitchers

charlie hough anyone?

anyways, what's the contract situation on all these guys? i'm too damn lazy/busy to look it up myself.

if we could get another decent pitcher, i'd feel pretty comfortable with our rotation. with three virtual rookies in the rotation (assuming butter never gets in), it's a bit much to expect anything much down the stretch run, and it'd give rausch another year in the minors learning how to throw strikes (unless we dealt wright).

mack10zie
04-29-2002, 05:07 PM
I'd be in favor of getting Sparks here as well. Over the past couple of seasons he has been pretty solid and consistant, and consistancy in our starting pitching is something that we need now and most likely will need as the season progresses. While we could get that consistancy from our youngs guys in theory, I'd feel much more at ease if we had another vet in the rotation.

baggio202
04-29-2002, 05:37 PM
scott erickson

CerberusWG
04-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Scott Erickson would be nice but I think Baltimore would want something big for him.

Remember, you're dealing with Syd Thrift here, who traded Willie Harris for Chris Singleton.

I wouldn't doubt Thrift taking Lee and maybe a pitching prospect for Erickson.

beausox
04-29-2002, 07:00 PM
Scott Erickson, if completely healthy, would be the best option. He has been successful in the past and contrary to belief would not be all that expensive to obtain. If you guys rememebr, CJ and Harold came over to us for four fringe pitchers and Fordyce. Neither of those four has shown all that much promise since being traded. Baltimore is a very thin, weak organization. We have fleeced them twice (CJ an Harold for the pitchers and Fordyce and Harris for Singleton). We could do it one more time.

BuehrleACE56
04-29-2002, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Ericsson, Sparks (our lineup couldn't hit him and he goes deep in games), or Bere in a Sox uniform. Bere is always good and the Cubs would take a position player for him. We can always rip off the Orioles so that wouldn't be a problem and Detroit would take Wright and someone else for Sparks I think. Having a weak/rookie #3-5 starters is going to hurt us down the stretch. Garland has pitched well of late (0-1 then 3-0!) but wright and rauch have been iffy and can't throw strikes. If Parque can get his act together he would at least have some experience and a decent arm in there. Rauch should get another year in the minors. His potential is sky high and the guy is huge. He'll be just fine but he isn't ready yet even though he is "on a regular schedule" now (JM). I just hope K Willy doesn't take too long to pull the trigger on a trade for a starter.

SOXSINCE'70
04-29-2002, 09:32 PM
What about that punk Jeff Weaver??
I agree with Erickson as well.
Don't know if i'd touch Kenny Rogers or Valdes
with a 10 foot pole.
Maybe David Wells will be availiable :(: :(: *****!!!!

:firenardi

"JEEZ,WHAT DOES A GUY HAVE TO DO TO GET FIRED AROUND HERE???"

Randar68
04-29-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by SOXSINCE'70
What about that punk Jeff Weaver??
I agree with Erickson as well.
Don't know if i'd touch Kenny Rogers or Valdes
with a 10 foot pole.
Maybe David Wells will be availiable :(: :(: *****!!!!

:firenardi

"JEEZ,WHAT DOES A GUY HAVE TO DO TO GET FIRED AROUND HERE???"

My opinion:

Lieber wouldn't happen and I might have a coronary watching whoever we give up for him kicking arse on the north side for 10 years.

In order:
Person - He had a hell of a year last year (well 1/2 to 3/4 of a year anyways!)
Erickson - if healthy
Sparks - never trust pitchers who depend on wind conditions!

But, #1 choice is to leave Rauch in there. The more he throws, the more his velocity and control will come back. He is getting outs pitching 2-6 mph below his normal fastball and without good control (for him)...By the end of the year, no mater how much Garland and Wright emerge, he'll be our #3 starter....

Have faith. On top of that, Biddle will be coming back sometime around the All-Star break barring any setbacks....

RedPinStripes
04-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Sparks - never trust pitchers who depend on wind conditions!

You would think more knuckle ballers would want to come to the windy city. Charlie Hough seemed to like it . Real Comiskey was much more of a pitchers park also.

raul12
04-29-2002, 10:51 PM
Bere in a Sox uniform

Now THAT is something I never want to see again in my life. I think i'd take hill back over bere--even though it pissed me off, you got to admire a guy who can laugh at himself walking off hte mound after being shellacked (sp?).

Randar68
04-29-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

You would think more knuckle ballers would want to come to the windy city. Charlie Hough seemed to like it . Real Comiskey was much more of a pitchers park also.

Actually, most knucklers prefer the wind in their face, aka blowing out, makes it more unpredictable.

Sparks is tough, especially since he's been able to throw his sloder for an occasional out pitch or strike...

RedPinStripes
04-29-2002, 10:57 PM

Actually, most knucklers prefer the wind in their face, aka blowing out, makes it more unpredictable.

Same here when i throw a wiffle ball. lol It's the only type of game that makes me feel like a decent pitcher.

harwar
04-30-2002, 08:47 AM
It may be a moot point as Reinsdorf said in no uncertain terms before the season even started that he would gladly pay for a top line free agent ->ONLY<- if the attendance goes up.I just don't see that happening.If he did let K.W. pull the trigger,i'd like Erickson.He looks healthy and back to his old form.Lieber would be too expensive and who knows how he would fare against powerful AL lineups.

Foulke You
04-30-2002, 12:35 PM

Sparks is tough, especially since he's been able to throw his sloder for an occasional out pitch or strike...

The only bad thing about knuckle ball pitchers is that they tend to get hit HARD when the knuckler isn't working. It's not like a Mark Buehrle where if one pitch isn't working he still has 3 other pitches he can throw for strikes. If Sparks' knuckle ball isn't working he has a slider and a 80mph "fastball" which the hitters will tee off on. I remember the Sox hit him pretty hard last year. Still, I think he'd be very valuable to the team and an aquisition that could be had without emptying our minor league system to aquire.

Has Detroit even talked about moving him or is this just speculation on our board? Does anyone know how old Sparks is and what type of contract he has with the Kitties?