PDA

View Full Version : The Black Uniforms

tick53
04-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like the black unis on occasion but how about once in a while the Sox wear their road grays? I think they're the best in baseball and I like to see the word "Chicago" on emblazoned acrossed their chests now and again.The same goes for the home games. The white pinstripes are IMO the best home unis in baseball. They have only not worn the black twice this season and they wore the black all through spring training. It must not have anything to do with superstition because they last game two in black in Baltimore and came back in black last night.

I love what the team is doing this year so far, but how about a little change?

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I'll be back later to see how badly I get barbequed on this subject.

soltrain21
04-19-2008, 10:58 AM
The pitcher is the one who chooses the uniforms to wear. Javy almost always goes black while Mark usually wears the whites or grays. Jose goes black more often than not as well.

The jury is still out on Danks and Floyd.

HomeFish
04-19-2008, 10:58 AM
The gray road uniforms are too bland for my tastes; I've never understood why people find them so appealing. The only possible reason I see is because they are simple and not too busy.

I know in 2005 they considered the black uniforms lucky and wore them a lot. And the pitcher decides, doesn't he? Sometimes a pitcher will fall in love with a particular uniform: el duque always used the black, Loaiza always used the fake vest.

Chez
04-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I agree. The black tops are my least favorite of the three. Too softballish. But they seem to have brought good karma this April so I doubt the team will change until they lose 2 or 3 in a row with them.

scarsofthumper
04-19-2008, 11:12 AM
I've never been to a game where they used the black unis. They are actually my favorite, and I got all excited that my game was gonna be a game, since Contreras usually does go black, but they wore white.

sox1970
04-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like the black unis on occasion but how about once in a while the Sox wear their road grays? I think they're the best in baseball and I like to see the word "Chicago" on emblazoned acrossed their chests now and again.The same goes for the home games. The white pinstripes are IMO the best home unis in baseball. They have only not worn the black twice this season and they wore the black all through spring training. It must not have anything to do with superstition because they last game two in black in Baltimore and came back in black last night.

I love what the team is doing this year so far, but how about a little change?

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I'll be back later to see how badly I get barbequed on this subject.

I agree with you 100%. They should just wear the black jersey on Sundays, which was what they did originally.

Jurr
04-19-2008, 11:27 AM
I LOVE the black uni. The only time it sucks is when you're at a game in August. When you're talking about the swagger issue, look no further than the unis. The Sox are coming out in their tough black tops and looking to kick your ass. So far, so good.

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like the black unis on occasion but how about once in a while the Sox wear their road grays? I think they're the best in baseball and I like to see the word "Chicago" on emblazoned acrossed their chests now and again.The same goes for the home games.

Agreed. I'm a big believer in the idea that teams should have 2 sets of uniforms - home whites with the team name, and road grays (sorry, SD, no "road sands") with the city name. If you want a 3rd set, keep it for special occasions like Sunday afternoon games (having said that, I think the black unis are a lot better than most team's 3rd uniforms).

Similarly, during the Sox-O's series, I appreciated it that the Orioles' TV feed simply identified us as "Chicago," not "CWS" or "Chicago Sox" or "Chicago South Side Not-the-Red-Sox Chi-Sox of 35th Street, Chicago, IL 60616, USA, Earth" or something equally silly. When we visit another old-line AL club like the Orioles, we represent Chicago as the city's AL club. That's why the road grays just say "Chicago" :D:

downstairs
04-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Alternates should be just that- alternates. The blacks should only be used on a certain day or situation (I believe blacks used to only be for Sundays?)

The only thing the Cubs have done recently that I applaud is take their blue alt out of circulation. But now its back, and again being overused.

Metalthrasher442
04-19-2008, 12:21 PM
I still like the pin stripes the best.

I always liked the blacks a lot. When I buy my jersey this year its gunna be the black uni.

MrRoboto83
04-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Once it starts getting warmer outside and the sun is beaming down, they will wear less of the black unis.

PopsBrechtel
04-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I thought the uniform choice was based on superstition. Someone once told me that they wear a uniform until they lose.

Home Stands, pinstripes until they lose, then black until they lose ot visa versa. Road uniform, same deal.

If the pitcher chooses the Jersey, that's cool :cool:

SoxGirl4Life
04-19-2008, 12:32 PM
As long as they never consider an all black uniform-I'm ok with the black jerseys.
Would remind me of the all blue Bears uniform they've tried. :puking:

anewman35
04-19-2008, 12:39 PM
I thought the uniform choice was based on superstition. Someone once told me that they wear a uniform until they lose.

Home Stands, pinstripes until they lose, then black until they lose ot visa versa. Road uniform, same deal.

That seemed to be the case the last few years, but this year they're wearing the blacks probably 90% of the time, loss or not. Seems like a lot more teams are starting to do things like that (the Astros usually wear red, the A's usually wear green, etc.)

anewman35
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
As long as they never consider an all black uniform-I'm ok with the black jerseys.

Of course, the Sox DID wear all black (well, more of a dark blue, but close enough) in the early years, and then again a few times, including the 70's: http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?lowYear=1900&highYear=1990&city=Chicago&league=AL&sort=year&increment=18&pos=1

A question for people who'd remember: did they really mix-and-match tops and bottoms in the 70s like the pictures show? Seems strange they'd use so many different options.

downstairs
04-19-2008, 12:56 PM
A question for people who'd remember: did they really mix-and-match tops and bottoms in the 70s like the pictures show? Seems strange they'd use so many different options.

Yes, and a lot of teams did that. The Pirates were the biggest offenders, with some 17 different combos possible.

There are game videos and photos out there with blue/blue, blue/white, white/blue, and white/white.

sullythered
04-19-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm sure nobody cares, but my preference in order:
1. Pinstripes
2. Greys
3. Black

Elephant
04-19-2008, 01:04 PM
The Sox didn't wear black once in the 05 playoffs.

anewman35
04-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Yes, and a lot of teams did that. The Pirates were the biggest offenders, with some 17 different combos possible.

There are game videos and photos out there with blue/blue, blue/white, white/blue, and white/white.

I knew other teams did, it just never occured to me that we did. Hmm. Wonder if colored home pants might make a comeback, now that the Blue Jays are wearing entirely powder blue at home for some games...

anewman35
04-19-2008, 01:24 PM
The Sox didn't wear black once in the 05 playoffs.

That's quite possibly because they only lost the one time, though. They started wearing the vests at home and the grays on the road, after they lost the one game they switched to normal home. I suspect if they had lost on the road, or lost another home game, they would have switched to black.

jongarlandlover
04-19-2008, 01:30 PM
The black uniforms don't bother me, but I am a fan of the gray ones. I'd much prefer they wear those.

MCHSoxFan
04-19-2008, 01:40 PM
The pitcher is the one who chooses the uniforms to wear. Javy almost always goes black while Mark usually wears the whites or grays. Jose goes black more often than not as well.

That is true. The pitcher does decide what jersey to wear. I would like to see more of the gray Chicago jersey more. I would also like to see the white with black stripes jersey more often at home, too. But hey, I will put wins before what jersey they wear! :smile:

dwalteroo
04-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I wish they would un-invent those vests. They look weird on every team - I'm glad the Sox rarely wear them. They look really uncomfortable.

soxfan21
04-19-2008, 02:19 PM
I think that they are using the black uni's a lot this year, but I really do like them. My question is whatever happend to the home jersey's with the black sleeves? I know last year they only wore these a handful of times and am wondering if they are trying to phase these out eventually.

TomBradley72
04-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Bring back the all black (I guess it was navy) uniforms of the late 70's. Black jerseys with black pants on the road...that's the way to go.

GregoryEtc
04-19-2008, 04:08 PM
This should be their alternate on the road...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2148&d=1092949897

SoxGirl4Life
04-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Of course, the Sox DID wear all black (well, more of a dark blue, but close enough) in the early years, and then again a few times, including the 70's: http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?lowYear=1900&highYear=1990&city=Chicago&league=AL&sort=year&increment=18&pos=1

They did do a lot of mixing and matching in the 70's. Come to think of, even back then, I hated the all navy combo. I liked the blue tops, white pants-which probably explains why I like the black tops now.

October26
04-19-2008, 05:00 PM

Yes, I was around in the 70's and they really did mix and match the tops and bottoms. I hated those polo collars on the navy/white uniforms (from 1976 - 1981). I'm probably in the minority on this, but I actually liked the script White Sox 1987 - 1990 uniform. I'm glad that the Sox have had the same uniform design since 1990 (it was kind of confusing growing up in the 60's and 70's because they underwent so many uniform changes). I'm happy with the current silver, black and white uniform. :smile:

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-19-2008, 05:07 PM
This should be their alternate on the road...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2148&d=1092949897

I like it!

skobabe8
04-19-2008, 05:24 PM
I like it!

I like it too, but maybe ad the # on the front.

I like the road greys the best. Have they worn those at all yet?

tick53
04-19-2008, 05:40 PM
I agree. The black tops are my least favorite of the three. Too softballish. But they seem to have brought good karma this April so I doubt the team will change until they lose 2 or 3 in a row with them.

Too softballish for sure.

tick53
04-19-2008, 05:41 PM
I agree with you 100%. They should just wear the black jersey on Sundays, which was what they did originally.

Sundays would be fine.

jabrch
04-19-2008, 05:41 PM
I hated those polo collars on the navy/white uniforms (from 1976 - 1981).

That's one of my all time favorite jerseys of any team - in any sport.

tick53
04-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Once it starts getting warmer outside and the sun is beaming down, they will wear less of the black unis.

True too Roboto.

tick53
04-19-2008, 05:45 PM

Agreed. Let's hope that never happens. My gawd!!:D:

tick53
04-19-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm sure nobody cares, but my preference in order:
1. Pinstripes
2. Greys
3. Black

I care sully. That's my exact order too.

ThatGuyOnTheL
04-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I like it too, but maybe ad the # on the front.

I like your suggestion even better. As on the road grays, the number would complement the angle of the "Chicago" script quite nicely.

GregoryEtc
04-19-2008, 08:53 PM
I like your suggestion even better. As on the road grays, the number would complement the angle of the "Chicago" script quite nicely.

http://mob118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/1happyst/chisox_away_alt.jpg

October26
04-19-2008, 08:57 PM

NICE! I like the Chicago flag on the opposite arm of the White Sox logo. Very clever. Send this over to the White Sox for consideration. :cool:

Elephant
04-19-2008, 09:07 PM
That uniform is a bit redundant. The flag should only be there if the Chicago script isn't there.

GregoryEtc
04-19-2008, 09:47 PM
then so is this one...
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2327852t130.gif

Elephant
04-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Right, that's what I was thinking of. Not something to aspire to be like, Texas.

I want Mags back
04-19-2008, 11:59 PM
then so is this one...
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2327852t130.gif
No, the state flag is considered to be a Rangers Alt. logo

The blacks are where its at.

chisoxmike
04-20-2008, 12:12 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the grays. Keep wearing the black uniforms. They're my favorite of the three.:bandance::bandance:

TheOldRoman
04-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Once it starts getting warmer outside and the sun is beaming down, they will wear less of the black unis.Not true at all. One the same note, I have heard people say "they are only wearing them because they are warmer". Most of the players are using the Coolbase jerseys, anyway, which are made of the BP jersey material. It is very lightweight, and even the black jersey is much cooler than a standard white doubleknit. Last year, a big excuse teams used for wearing their alternates so much was that they were the only Coolbase jerseys offered. This year, the Sox have coolbase jerseys in all three styles (the vests have been eliminated).

Anyway, they will wear black when they feel like it. The temperature doesn't effect it. I have been to games were the Sox wore black jerseys in 100 degree heat.

If the pitcher chooses the Jersey, that's cool :cool:
That is how they used to do it, but its not the case anymore. They wore the white jerseys once (loss), so they went back to black. They wore gray jerseys once (win), but went back to black the next game. Twice this week alone they lost in black and wore it again the next game.

I echo other people's sentiments. They should wear the black jerseys once or twice a week. Go back to wearing them every Sunday. I think they are great jerseys, and a nice change of pace, but it looks bad when they wear them game after game.

Elephant
04-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Not true at all. One the same note, I have heard people say "they are only wearing them because they are warmer". Most of the players are using the Coolbase jerseys, anyway, which are made of the BP jersey material. It is very lightweight, and even the black jersey is much cooler than a standard white doubleknit. Last year, a big excuse teams used for wearing their alternates so much was that they were the only Coolbase jerseys offered. This year, the Sox have coolbase jerseys in all three styles (the vests have been eliminated).

Anyway, they will wear black when they feel like it. The temperature doesn't effect it. I have been to games were the Sox wore black jerseys in 100 degree heat.

That is how they used to do it, but its not the case anymore. They wore the white jerseys once (loss), so they went back to black. They wore gray jerseys once (win), but went back to black the next game. Twice this week alone they lost in black and wore it again the next game.

I echo other people's sentiments. They should wear the black jerseys once or twice a week. Go back to wearing them every Sunday. I think they are great jerseys, and a nice change of pace, but it looks bad when they wear them game after game.'

Ah, that reminds of a Sox/M's game in early July when they both wore alternate solid-colors. They both looked ridiculous, like it was a spring training game.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2008, 01:10 AM
All MLB teams road jerseys (the gray ones) say the name of the city which they are from (i.e. Chicago, Tampa Bay, Detroit...). All MLB home jerseys just say the team name (i.e. sox, rays, tigers...).http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_2007_losangeles_01.gifhttp://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_2007_baltimore_01.gif

TheOldRoman
04-20-2008, 01:12 AM
The black are the neutral jerseys- so they is why the wear them in the spring...it is more cost effective if they one make one jersey. All MLB teams road jerseys (the gray ones) say the name of the city which they are from (i.e. Chicago, Tampa Bay, Detroit...). All MLB home jerseys just say the team name (i.e. sox, rays, tigers...).

Not all teams have city/state names on the road jerseys. The Cardinals only have for a year or two in their history, the Orioles haven't for 20 something years, the Phillies, Brewers, Angels, and Rays don't either. Also, there are teams like the Yankees and Tigers who use logos or letters instead of writing out the team name on the home jerseys.
The sox actually have a forth jersey, it is white with pinstripe- sleeveless, you don't notice it though because they wear black t-shirts under it so it looks like one jersey.I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, but we know about the vest jerseys. As mentioned before, the Sox got rid of them for 08.

TheOldRoman
04-20-2008, 01:17 AM
'

Ah, that reminds of a Sox/M's game in early July when they both wore alternate solid-colors. They both looked ridiculous, like it was a spring training game.Yeah, that was because last year Majestic couldn't get the shade of gray correct, so there were no road coolbase jerseys. They finally made a gray coolbase this year, but the problem is, they only make one shade of gray. MLB teams use 6 or 7 different shades of gray, so it will look like **** when the jerseys don't match the pants. As for the Mariners thinking the doubleknits are too hot, they should try wearing wool for a game.

On a related note, MLB needs to make a rule that only one team can wear an alternate jersey per game. It is ridiculous. I don't want to see the green of the A's against the royal blue Rangers 19 times a year. I don't want to see the Sox wearing black against the Twins or Indians in navy. Let the home team decide, and if they wear white, the road team can wear an alt.

Nellie_Fox
04-20-2008, 01:39 AM
As for the Mariners thinking the doubleknits are too hot, they should try wearing wool for a game. Tropical-weight wool is much cooler than double-knit polyester. The wool wicks perspiration away and evaporates it on the surface, creating a natural cooling. Polyester neither wicks nor breathes.

thomas35forever
04-20-2008, 01:47 AM
I don't know why the blacks are being worn often, but I don't mind considering they wore them all ST. I'd like to see the whites worn on Saturday afternoons and during the Sox-Cubs series.

Walker29
04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
My order of preference is

Home Pinstripes/Home Pants
Black Jersey/Home Pants
Grey Jersey/Grey Pants
Black Jersey/Grey Pants

I love the black jersey at home with the home pants. Not so much on the road. I did not like the vest. The 1917 jerseys they wore at home on Sundays about 5-6 years ago were pretty sharp. I would be fine if blacks were only worn at home on Sundays.

scarsofthumper
04-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I'd like to see us have a separate road alternate. Black uni but instead of the Sox logo have the Chicago logo on it. They sell t shirts in this style, why not jerseys?

russ99
04-22-2008, 11:22 AM
I love the black jerseys. No complaints here.

Also the spring ones are slightly different, they're really warmups.

Bucky F. Dent
04-22-2008, 12:51 PM

The pitchers?
Really?
I did not know that.

For the record, I do not like the black uniforms. I do not like 3rd uniforms generally. I am a fan of old school road grays. Then again, I am old, and becoming increasingly gray. Coincidence? Probably not.

oeo
04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm not a big fan of the black uniforms. I guess they're alright as alternates, but the Sox don't wear them as alternates.

They've only worn their home uniform once this year. :whiner:

Hopefully they have those on tonight.

Thome25
04-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Now that jersey looks great!!! I wish the Sox would add this one to their collection.......are the words on this jersey grey/silver? It's hard for me to tell. Either way it looks great!!!

Email Brooks!!!

#1swisher
04-22-2008, 01:33 PM

Jon Garland always wore pinstripes. IMO my favorite

scarsofthumper
04-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Now that jersey looks great!!! I wish the Sox would add this one to their collection.......are the words on this jersey grey/silver? It's hard for me to tell. Either way it looks great!!!

Email Brooks!!!As do I!!! Holy crap.

Plus it would be a great merch seller too.

asindc
04-22-2008, 04:26 PM
I like the home pinstripes the best, followed by the road greys. I also liked the vest, especially during the hot summer months. Just seemed to be the right thing. I like the black jersey the least, but if they continue to wear it so frequently, let it be with a "Chicago" script on the front, as has been suggested.

HomeFish
04-22-2008, 05:19 PM
http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_2007_losangeles_01.gifhttp://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/images/al_2007_baltimore_01.gif

Well of course the Angels aren't going to follow the rule. How are you going to fit "Los Angeles of Anaheim" on your jersey?

A.T. Money
04-23-2008, 09:46 AM
The whole "wear them till they lose" obviously isn't the case, because they wore all grey on Sunday and won, to come home yesterday with black and get smoked.

I for one, am sick of the black jerseys. They are very softballish and when you have some of the coolest home pinstripe and away greys in the game, the black should be coming out only sometimes.

I want Mags back
04-23-2008, 11:38 AM
The whole "wear them till they lose" obviously isn't the case, because they wore all grey on Sunday and won, to come home yesterday with black and get smoked.

I for one, am sick of the black jerseys. They are very softballish and when you have some of the coolest home pinstripe and away greys in the game, the black should be coming out only sometimes.

:?: They can't wear gray at home

gregoriop
04-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Add me to the list of people that think the road grays are boring. On Xbox, I never pick the grays to wear.

A.T. Money
04-23-2008, 03:44 PM
:?: They can't wear gray at home

Then wear the white pinstripes...that is the home equivalent.

And I somehow think that you knew what I meant. Mod edit: Don't make it personal.

Cuck the Fubs
04-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I personally love the black jerseys.........of the 3 the road greys are my least favorite.

TheOldRoman
04-24-2008, 12:05 AM
The Sox won in gray on Sunday, so they should have worn white by the trend they used to use. They went back to black last night and lost. Tonight, they came out in black again, and lost again. What point is there in having a stupid, asinine superstition if you don't even stick to it?

They need to ban the black jerseys for the rest of the year, or at least a month. It is clear the players are going to wear it no matter what. Afterall, it is "kewl". They are going to set some kind of record for wearing alternates (if anyone actually keeps track). Some teams like the A's, Marlins, and Astros recently, and the late 90's Indians, have worn their alternates all but a handful of times on the road. The difference is, those teams barely wore them at home (the Astros and 90's Indians wore them exclusively on Sundays at home). How many times will we see the white and gray jerseys this year? 20?

I like the black when they are worn sporadically, not when they are used everyday. Either get rid of them or set a schedule of when they are worn. The players should have no say whatsoever in the uniforms. If you need an example of what happens when players get a say, look at the crap that is the NFL.

oeo
04-24-2008, 12:21 AM
The Sox won in gray on Sunday, so they should have worn white by the trend they used to use. They went back to black last night and lost. Tonight, they came out in black again, and lost again. What point is there in having a stupid, asinine superstition if you don't even stick to it?

It doesn't appear that superstition exists anymore. It's all black, all the time now.

They need to fix that lettering on the back before it ever looks close to a good uniform.

TheOldRoman
04-24-2008, 12:24 AM
It doesn't appear that superstition exists anymore. It's all black, all the time now.

They need to fix that lettering on the back before it ever looks close to a good uniform.I don't know what you mean, but I don't see a problem with the lettering. I would love it if they barely every wore it. I think it is a great uniform in its own right, but it is an alternate. It it meant to be worn a handful of times, not every day. Wearing the black jerseys is akin to starting Pablo Ozuna everyday.

A.T. Money
04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't know what you mean, but I don't see a problem with the lettering. I would love it if they barely every wore it. I think it is a great uniform in its own right, but it is an alternate. It it meant to be worn a handful of times, not every day. Wearing the black jerseys is akin to starting Pablo Ozuna everyday.

I'm glad I'm not the only one is getting tired of making the alternate an everyday uniform.

Our pitchers are weird...maybe they want to look "slim".

oeo
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I don't know what you mean, but I don't see a problem with the lettering.

With the combination of the white lettering, and silver outlining, it is difficult to read the name on the back. Letters with enclosed portions, like B, A, P, etc. just look like white boxes. They should ditch the silver outlining.

Oh, and make them actual alternates. I want to see the home whites...hopefully they wear them the rest of the home stand.

Gammons Peter
04-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Black on Blackhttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2007/04/18/HKHfbzPM.jpg

twsoxfan5
04-24-2008, 03:11 PM
With the combination of the white lettering, and silver outlining, it is difficult to read the name on the back. Letters with enclosed portions, like B, A, P, etc. just look like white boxes. They should ditch the silver outlining.

Oh, and make them actual alternates. I want to see the home whites...hopefully they wear them the rest of the home stand.

They have all white lettering without the silver outline on the replica jerseys and it looks like crap. I say keep wearing the black tops and keep the lettering the same.

EMachine10
04-24-2008, 05:14 PM
A little change of direction here, but I'm looking into getting a jersey. Not ready to shell out 200 bones for an authentic ( I don't really have a job that allows me to spend such money), but I would like a replica that is lettered - possibly Danks. Question is, anybody know of a place that's got the best deals on jerseys?

twsoxfan5
04-24-2008, 05:18 PM
A little change of direction here, but I'm looking into getting a jersey. Not ready to shell out 200 bones for an authentic ( I don't really have a job that allows me to spend such money), but I would like a replica that is lettered - possibly Danks. Question is, anybody know of a place that's got the best deals on jerseys?

Yeah go to Grandstand, which is on 35th just west of the park. I just got a replica Swisher there, b/c I wanted the shorter length. It was $75 for the jersey and then I put the authentic numbers on the front and back and the sox patch on the arm and it all cost me $145. It is a lot cheaper if you go with non authentic numbers and no patches though. Since you are in the Orland area though you could go to Triple Threat Sports on 191st and LaGrange they have a large selection as well.

oeo
04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
They have all white lettering without the silver outline on the replica jerseys and it looks like crap. I say keep wearing the black tops and keep the lettering the same.

It already looks like crap. :dunno:

BTW, what's wrong with this (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2371242&cp=1452347.1452701.1472441)? Put the actual numbering on there, and it looks like the black version of our home whites.

hsnterprize
04-26-2008, 09:05 AM
The gray road uniforms are too bland for my tastes; I've never understood why people find them so appealing. The only possible reason I see is because they are simple and not too busy.

I know in 2005 they considered the black uniforms lucky and wore them a lot. And the pitcher decides, doesn't he? Sometimes a pitcher will fall in love with a particular uniform: el duque always used the black, Loaiza always used the fake vest.I like the gray uni's because they're "traditional"...and they blend well with the silver and black color scheme.

Personally, I'd like to see a "road black" jersey like others have said in previous threads on the subject. Like Cleveland had for a while, I'd like to see a dark jersey with "Chicago" in white script outlines in silver. It would be a nice novelty for a season or 2.

Rockinsox05
04-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Put me down as another one that says they wear black WAY too much. It should be an alternate only.

On the bright side at least it's not as god awful as that blue thing the Cubs wear.

BigKlu59
04-26-2008, 12:50 PM
:bandance: I'm a sorry assed traditionalist. Home whites and stripes.. Road greys.. Clean up the script on the Greys as stated with maybe a Gothic Chicago on the front. Dont mind the sleeveless.. Harkens to a 60's look. If they were to use an alternate I'd go with a retro look on occasion... Wear the 1917, 1959, 70 red pin's in a rotation... with stirrups.. Hell, throw a big hair night and break out the 83 tricolors..

Sorry, but the solid black reminds me too much of a softball uniform.Agree,not as ghastly as the Cubbie Pajamas, so lets not start to go down that road..

BigKlu59

OutlanderBZ
04-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Put me down as another one that says they wear black WAY too much. It should be an alternate only.

On the bright side at least it's not as god awful as that blue thing the Cubs wear.

I agree but I believe the cubs do not wear those anymore, they only have white home and grey away.

as for the sox I am big fan of the white and grey uni's. that black is okay but I am not a fan of the alternates.

I also really like the idea of the chicago flag on the uniform.

let's just hope the never put U.S. cellular field patch on the jersey. also, I am all for 20 alternate uniforms to avoid NASCAR uniforms......

esbrechtel
04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree but I believe the cubs do not wear those anymore, they only have white home and grey away.

as for the sox I am big fan of the white and grey uni's. that black is okay but I am not a fan of the alternates.

I also really like the idea of the chicago flag on the uniform.

let's just hope the never put U.S. cellular field patch on the jersey. also, I am all for 20 alternate uniforms to avoid NASCAR uniforms......

I believe Zambrano had it put in his contract that they had to bring back the blues and they wear it for all of his starts...

hi im skot
04-28-2008, 12:03 PM
It already looks like crap. :dunno:

BTW, what's wrong with this (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2371242&cp=1452347.1452701.1472441)? Put the actual numbering on there, and it looks like the black version of our home whites.

It looks like a replica jersey...which is exactly what it is.

Sorry, but I love the black, and love the lettering even more.