PDA

View Full Version : Singleton...

Tragg
04-18-2008, 11:36 PM
on BBTN, he speaks well and is reasonably interesting. It's hard to believe that he was worse than Farmer or Jackson on Sox broadcasts.

asg2003ws2005
04-19-2008, 12:34 AM
on BBTN, he speaks well and is reasonably interesting. It's hard to believe that he was worse than Farmer or Jackson on Sox broadcasts.reading from a teleprompter is easier than dealing with hawk or farmer

CHISOXFAN13
04-19-2008, 12:43 AM
reading from a teleprompter is easier than dealing with hawk or farmer

:?:

You don't read original thoughts off the teleprompter.

He does a pretty good job. I was impressed.

Domeshot17
04-19-2008, 01:55 AM
Im fairly certain most of there thoughts are put into the teleprompter.

I think that is why he so much better, he is a smart man, and when he has time to digest his thoughts and then reinforce them, he is much better than thinking and speaking on his feet.

TornLabrum
04-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Again I must point out that when Singleton emceed a couple of WCSF luncheons the past couple of years, he was excellent. Give him a chance to talk baseball away from Farmer, and he's excellent. He knows his stuff.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-19-2008, 08:07 AM
When the announcement was made many here noted that Singleton would be good on BBTN, and that has turned out to be the case. It's a much better use of his talents, a better fit. Instead of being given fits by Farmio.

cards press box
04-19-2008, 08:18 AM
I've enjoyed listening to Ed Farmer as color man for John Rooney. Farmer brings a genuine South Side voice and has knowledge to impart, particularly about pitching.

Having said that, can you imagine just how good a Dave Wills/Steve Stone broadcasting team would be?

MrRoboto83
04-19-2008, 08:25 AM
I didn't mind listening to Singleton, he always seemed to hang out with the players so I always enjoyed hearing about things that they do on the road and etc.

Bill Naharodny
04-19-2008, 12:57 PM
I've enjoyed listening to Ed Farmer as color man for John Rooney. Farmer brings a genuine South Side voice and has knowledge to impart, particularly about pitching.

Having said that, can you imagine just how good a Dave Wills/Steve Stone broadcasting team would be?

Farmio is badio on the radio. I will say, though, that being with Stone has kept him on task a little better.

I've never quite understood the Dave Wills love in these parts. I mean, sure, compared to Farmer, he can describe a game better (although the same can be said of Lou Boudreau, right now). And I know that Wills is a White Sox guy. But he always seemed, well, kinda generic to me. What was I missing?

kaufsox
04-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Farmio is badio on the radio. I will say, though, that being with Stone has kept him on task a little better.

I've never quite understood the Dave Wills love in these parts. I mean, sure, compared to Farmer, he can describe a game better (although the same can be said of Lou Boudreau, right now). And I know that Wills is a White Sox guy. But he always seemed, well, kinda generic to me. What was I missing?

I always felt Willsy was very professional, well-paced, kept on task. What can I say I like a broadcast pro doing PBP.

cbrownson13
04-19-2008, 02:17 PM

Sure you do.

If anybody thinks that Kruk, Fernando Vina, Steve Phillips, etc. just rattle off original ideas without a teleprompter on that show, you are sadly mistaken.

I fear what would come out of Kruk's mouth if it wasn't spoon fed to him. I'm not saying the things that he says aren't his original thoughts, but things are heavily planned.

cards press box
04-20-2008, 05:52 PM

As a radio announcer, Dave Wills bring a lot to the table, especially for White Sox fans. Here are several reasons:

(1) Like Ed Farmer, Wills would bring an authentic South Side voice to Sox broadcasts. The importance of this cannot be emphasized enough. To me, Cubs' voice Pat Hughes is the ultimate generic voice. Hughes, I believe, is from California, has announced for several teams and sounds as though he could be broadcating anywhere for anyteam, U.S.A. The same is true for Cub TV announcer Len Kasper. Unlike Hughes and Kasper, Wills is a Chicago guy and, more importantly, a South Side guy. He understands the socio-economic roots and history of the Sox-Cubs rivalry and certainly appreciates the South Side perspective. Remember Michael Barrett complaining about the Sox marching down our streets in October 2005? Just where did Barrett get off saying that? I remember hearing Ed Farmer taking issue with Barrett's comments; I'm sure Dave Wills did, too.

(2) Wills can do play-by-play. Farmer is a color man pressed into doing 9 innings of play-by-play. A play-by-play announcer doing play-by-play makes for a smoother broadcast.

(3) Wills has a great radio voice. Ed Farmer does too but Wills has the classic radio voice, like the old WGN announcer Carl Grayson. Anyone remember him?

Look, I think that Farmer is a fine color analyst. I just hope the Sox find a way: (a) to keep Steve Stone announcing radio or TV past 2008 and (b) to bring back Dave Wills where he belongs -- announcing for the White Sox in some capacity.

PolishPower83
04-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I never had a problem with the guy and I think he's doing a pretty nice job with ESPN.

getonbckthr
04-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Singleton is doing well on BBTN. However there is a big difference is doing a live game compared a studio broadcast. They each have their own level of difficulty. Singleton is clearly better for the studio whereas others might be better off in the live mode.

Frontman
04-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Singelton did fine the few times I've seen him on ESPN. I think he really was out over his skis as it were to learn how to do a live game without any experience prior to 2006.

Craig Grebeck
04-21-2008, 12:35 AM
He speaks better, but his ideas and analysis are abysmal. His solution to the Dodgers' offensive woes? "Get Pierre in there and let him run." Why it would be foolish to doubt Ichiro? "Speed doesn't slump." Ah yes, Ichiro's most useful tool, speed.

(paraphrasing of course)

kruzer31
04-21-2008, 01:04 AM
I will say one thing, he is way better the Eric Young who is on Baseball Tonight from time to time. He it horrible. and he picked the Atlanta Braves to win it all

JEFF

pudge
04-21-2008, 01:17 AM

He does a pretty good job. I was impressed.

A lot of that stuff is staged and pre-written, don't let 'em fool ya, but still I was quite impressed with Singleton on BBTN - I never really heard him on the radio, but my friends always said it was an awful broadcast.

October26
04-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Singleton's problem was being on the radio. In my opinion, last year he could not paint a clear picture on the radio of the plays going on in the field nor could he deliver effective color commentary. I'm happy for Singleton that he's doing well on Baseball Tonight - I always thought he was knowledgeable and well-spoken; he just wasn't good on radio.