PDA

View Full Version : It is a sad day to be a Sox fan...

HootieMcBoob
04-29-2002, 12:43 PM
Has anyone seen the new Sox commercials??? I am embarrassed for the Sox, all I could do was put my face in my hands and weep for the players, the fans, and the organization.

Go to www.whitesox.com and download the commercials. Who wants to go kill Rob Gallas with me?

Cheryl
04-29-2002, 12:47 PM
I don't think they're that bad.

doctor30th
04-29-2002, 12:48 PM
Ohh they are not that bad. Remember, the Sox promote a family atmosphere. These commercials are definitely aimed at kids and parents of kids. They are cute, they are not trying to be scary movie or American pie here. Your not going to see Konerko Humping an apple pie.

I think these commercials are very good. But they are for families and kids, not Drunk Yuppy Cubs fans. You have to look at them by who they are marketing too.

HootieMcBoob
04-29-2002, 12:50 PM
you wouldn't believe the hell I've gotten from Cub fans about these commercials. The fireworks, conga line, and the glove one are just TERRIBLE.

Cheryl
04-29-2002, 12:50 PM
No they're not. You need new friends, that's the problem.

Chisox353014
04-29-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Ohh they are not that bad. Remember, the Sox promote a family atmosphere. These commercials are definitely aimed at kids and parents of kids. They are cute, they are not trying to be scary movie or American pie here. Your not going to see Konerko Humping an apple pie.

I think we can all agree that is a good thing. :D:

HootieMcBoob
04-29-2002, 12:54 PM
were you watching the same commercials as me??? they weren't funny at all - they were just plain stupid. I like the idea of players in commercials, but not making idiots out of themselves. I am sitting here in my computer class at school and everyone crowded around the screen and was making fun of how dumb these commercials are.....we said the Sox DESERVE 15,000 a game w/ sucky commercials like this!!!

doctor30th
04-29-2002, 12:55 PM
you have to be kidding me. The glove one is obvously aimed at kids for glove day. How is that bad?

Tell your cubs fans friends they can go to their park and watch their loser cubs and I'll take my kids to Comiskey and let them get a free glove. Ohh, and Go to fundamentals, and Not get pushed around by drunk cubs fans, ohh, and most likely, there is actually a very good chance that if I take them the sox will win. Unlike the cubs.

doctor30th
04-29-2002, 12:57 PM
The problem is not who they are marketed to you. They are marketed to get kids and families to the park.

HootieMcBoob
04-29-2002, 01:03 PM
well not just cub fans were dissing these commercials.....all my sox friends too.
anyways - you're entitled to your own opinion, i don't care.

but i will block these commercials out of my mind and go to my 40 games a year.

I dont care if they're not marketed to me - they're AWFUL

moochpuppy
04-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Ask them how their 8-15 club on the North side is doing?

BTW, I think I saw Don Baylor on Taxi Cab Confessions the other night. :D:

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Well, Hootie, so far you and your buddies are all alone. I obviously don't get the commercials up here, so I went to the Sox site and downloaded them. I don't see anything in any of them to be upset about. In fact, I thought the fireworks one was mildly amusing. As for the glove, I really don't know what upsets you about that. The hand with the glove catches the home run. The Sox will give you the glove.

cheeses_h_rice
04-29-2002, 01:28 PM
I just watched all 5 of them, and I LIKE them quite a bit. They're silly and playful, but I like the simple way they're filmed and the simple messages they offer. I think it will help bring people to the park; how can that be a bad thing?

Iwritecode
04-29-2002, 01:29 PM
I haven't seen the actual commercials yet and will have to wait until I get home to download them. But judging from the initial reaction here, they must be doing something right. Any commercial that sticks in your mind, no matter how bad or stupid the commercial is, has done it's job. When you can't get an annoying jingle out of your head, that means you are thinking about the product the commercial is advertising. That's what the marketers want.

I know a commercial is bad when I can either remember the commercial but not for the life of me, remember what product it was advertising or forget the commercial entirely...

FarWestChicago
04-29-2002, 01:33 PM
They are silly baseball commercials. I like silly baseball commercials. The team that just pounded the crap out of us is always running silly baseball commercials. They have one where Chavez is playing third with a gold glove. For some reason the ball clanking off the metal cracks me up every time. :smile:

Iwritecode
04-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
They are silly baseball commercials. I like silly baseball commercials. The team that just pounded the crap out of us is always running silly baseball commercials. They have one where Chavez is playing third with a gold glove. For some reason the ball clanking off the metal cracks me up every time. :smile:

How is Oakland's attendance this year so far anyway?

FarWestChicago
04-29-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

How is Oakland's attendance this year so far anyway? I'm not sure. They never draw that well. Gain'ts == Bay Area Flubs.

Soxboyrob
04-29-2002, 02:41 PM
I thought they were really cute. They humanize the players and bring them down to the regular-guy level of the fans. They're kinda silly, fun and lighthearted. It's better than being so serious all the time, something KW seems to have a problem with.

Chisox_cali
04-29-2002, 02:56 PM
I really liked them, and I hope they make more of them, players in funny commercials is a great advertising campaign. The one with Burly signing the autographs cracked me up when I saw it. And the fireworks and conga line ones were great because you could see how much fun they were having, and the end of the fireworks one sandy choice and caballo are all laughing there asses off

HawkDJ
04-29-2002, 04:31 PM
I thought they were all really great. They definitly promote that easy going, family atmosphere and as T-Graff said, it shows that the players are people just like us. I liked the congo and autograph one the most. Like someone said, these are aimed at the family and I think they get their point across in a simple way.

I can't wait to see Kenny Lofton doing disco moves for the Disco Day!

Streets
04-29-2002, 04:59 PM
I enjoyed them as well, they were humerous and shows other sides to the players other than their gameface.

Spiff
04-29-2002, 05:09 PM
I like the Kids one with Konerko the most, they did a really good job with it. The other ones are ok but I don't care as long as they get people to the games.

Procol Harum
04-29-2002, 05:14 PM
Those commercials are fine--short, simple, lighthearted and the players don't take themselves too seriously. A major step up from Jerry's "A-Game" commercial.

Now, what I'm wondering about is what kind of people you're associating with, Hootie? Besides attending Scrub games, what other sorts of things do these folks do--egg senior citizens and sacrifice goats at midnight in the DuPage Forest Preserves?

Unregistered
04-29-2002, 07:06 PM
I have to agree with Hootie McBoob (did i just say that?). as i posted in the other thread:

"MAN, those ads SUCK. There's nothing funny, clever or even close to interesting about them... i STRONGLY suggest the marketing department look into a different ad agency next season.

weak effort."

"cute" is one thing, but i dont even think they're that...they're so basic, they insult the intelligence of the viewer. i can see the board meeting right now: "it's 'carribean night', lets have all the players form a congo line!" how ridiculously boring and CLICHE! the thing about the oakland and seattle commercials and even commercials like espn are that they actually respect the audience enough to be clever, to make you laugh. kids arent going to be attracted to 3 hands in front of a white background with a glove...it's cheesy, and worse than that its OBVIOUS. i cant believe the sox actually paid an ad agency to do these... sorry, this is an art director speaking, so i have a little less tolerance for lack of creativity/imagination.

anyway, back to winning games..(i hope) :D:

Kilroy
04-29-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
...they.re so basic, they insult the intelligence of the viewer. i can see the board meeting right now: "it's 'carribean night', lets have all the players form a congo line!" how ridiculously boring and CLICHE!

Hootie, I agree with Cheryl; you need new friends.

Unreg, I'm not sure what you're on about. I find "clever" ads to be more insulting than basic ones. That's because so many times, they're so busy being clever, that they aren't telling you a damn thing about what they're supposed to be selling. That pisses me off. Just get to the point.

That's what these Sox ads do, get the point across. I think they're pretty good...

voodoochile
04-29-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Hootie, I agree with Cheryl; you need new friends.

Unreg, I'm not sure what you're on about. I find "clever" ads to be more insulting than basic ones. That's because so many times, they're so busy being clever, that they aren't telling you a damn thing about what they're supposed to be selling. That pisses me off. Just get to the point.

That's what these Sox ads do, get the point across. I think they're pretty good...

Tell it like it is... I hate adds where you are left wondering... What was that product again? You just know some "20-something gay consultant with a soul patch" (not that there's anything wrong with that) thought it was a good idea and some idiot ate it up... Sometimes marketing guys are too "clever" for their own good.

At least the ads are about fun at the ballpark and fans dreams (catching a homerun). Better than the Maggs "drink peksi" ads, or some of the other winners we have witnessed recently...

But, honestly, Sox ads are NEVER close captioned, so I really cannot comment on them...

CLR01
04-29-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
even commercials like espn are that they actually respect the audience enough to be clever, to make you laugh.(i hope) :D:

There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, clever or funny about seeing Peter Gammons standing around in a towel. NOTHING.

:chunks

LuvChiSox
04-30-2002, 04:11 PM
I keep missing the latest commercials, but I think the absolute WORST commercial was that one from last year (and perhaps the year before) where they showed that boob (no offense, HootieM), DJ Stephan dancing around doing the YMCA with that dumb look on his face like he was God's gift to coolness...what a tool! And I'm so glad the Sox finally found a way to fire his stupid ash.