PDA

View Full Version : Rotation shift

Sockinchisox
04-18-2008, 10:32 PM
The Sox are shifting their rotation around for the Yankees series, the pitching matchups will go like this:

Tuesday: Wang vs Contreras
Wednesday: Mussina vs Vazquez
Thursday: Hughes vs Floyd

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/04/sox-yankees-pit.html

jabrch
04-18-2008, 10:50 PM
The Sox are shifting their rotation around for the Yankees series, the pitching matchups will go like this:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/04/sox-yankees-pit.html

Sets up two lefties vs Baltimore who is a much better team vs RHP. Not a bad idea.

Feels like a good call by Guillen.

Frontman
04-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Sets up two lefties vs Baltimore who is a much better team vs RHP. Not a bad idea.

Feels like a good call by Guillen.

Mussina/Vasquez matchup might prove to be the game of the week to watch.

hawkjt
04-18-2008, 11:52 PM

So they flipped Javy and Gavin ,presumably to match Gavin vs another rookie in Hughes? Makes sense, Hughes has struggled and Javy is our ace who should go against Mussina. Wang had a bad outing vs the red sox but he is tough...however if Jose keeps that arm slot from last game...he has pitched well vs the yanks in the past if I remember correctly.
Should be a helluva early season series..chance for the sox to put the league on alert...the sox are back.

Noneck
04-19-2008, 12:03 AM
They are switching Vazquez and Floyd. If someone doesn't know the current rotation they shouldn't talk about what a great move it is to set up lefties for Baltimore. If that was ever thought about, it was made on the previous move not this one.

jcw218
04-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Another reason for the switch is to keep Javy on a five day schedule as he prefers. Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080418&content_id=2547736&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Jjav829
04-19-2008, 01:29 PM

:?::?:

Do you mean because we'll probably score a bunch of runs and kick the Yankees ass? Because Mike Mussina blows.

Surely you don't mean that as in a good pitchers duel, right?

Frontman
04-19-2008, 02:27 PM
:?::?:

Do you mean because we'll probably score a bunch of runs and kick the Yankees ass? Because Mike Mussina blows.

Surely you don't mean that as in a good pitchers duel, right?

He certainly kicked the Sox teeth in last season. I think it will be a game to watch.

Jurr
04-19-2008, 03:03 PM
He certainly kicked the Sox teeth in last season. I think it will be a game to watch.
Thank God this team looks like it is a little more selective than previous squads. Hopefully they actually lay off breaking balls in the dirt. We have a pretty good offense, but that Wang matchup scares the hell out of me. Pounding sinkers into the dirt all night makes me ill. I hate every time we face Westbrook, Carmona, and Wang. Now we add Garland a couple times a year. Ughh.

Madvora
04-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Every one of our starters is hot right now. Throw anyone out there and I like our chances.

Jurr
04-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Every one of our starters is hot right now. Throw anyone out there and I like our chances.
Damn skippy. :smile:

Bigfoot38
04-19-2008, 04:09 PM

I think we will take 2/3. the Wang v Contreras matchup goes in the Yankees favor but I throw it out there...

LAST OUTING FOR EACH PITCHER:

Wang(4.0ip 9h 8r 8er 3bb 2so ND) v Contreras (7.0ip 4h 1r 1er 0bb 6so W)
Mussina(3.0ip 7h 5r 5er 0bb 1so L) v Vazquez (6.1ip 6h 2r 2er 1bb 4so W)
Hughes(5.1ip 9h 5r 5er 2bb 1so L) v Floyd (6.0ip 2h 2r 0er 2bb 4so ND)

looks like we would be headed for a sweep, but Wang was stellar before the ND to Boston, should be a fun series!!

Frontman
04-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Thank God this team looks like it is a little more selective than previous squads. Hopefully they actually lay off breaking balls in the dirt. We have a pretty good offense, but that Wang matchup scares the hell out of me. Pounding sinkers into the dirt all night makes me ill. I hate every time we face Westbrook, Carmona, and Wang. Now we add Garland a couple times a year. Ughh.

1-8 should be fine. Uribe will still be swinging at 'em. :wink:

We'll see, I just think Mussina is better than he's shown (and has proven to be tough against us.) The Contreras/Wang matchup I'm giving to the Yanks, as Jose is hit and miss. If Jose gives the Sox his best, they have a shot.

Jurr
04-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Speaking of the rotation, Rongey just called Floyd "outright dumb."
He said, "He's a nice, nice kid, but he's just not all there."
Yikes.

Sockinchisox
04-19-2008, 04:41 PM

I wouldn't go as far as to say he kicked out teeth in last year.

Mussina vs. Sox in '07: 3 starts (17.1 IP), 1-1, 4.67 ERA, 18 H, 9 ER, 3 HR