PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Back on Track - 4/18/08 Postgame Thread

delben91
04-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Solid outing for Javy, and the offense put up some crooked numbers.

Keep it going and win the series tomorrow boys!

:gulp:

cheezheadsoxfan
04-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Real nice after last night. Doesn't look like we have to keep worrying about reverting to 2007.:D:

JB98
04-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Real nice after last night. Doesn't look like we have to keep worrying about reverting to 2007.:D:

But Homefish assured us that last night's poor performance would be the turning point of the young season.

Speaking of turning points, Javy getting out of that bases-loaded jam in the second inning was key tonight. The Rays had their chance there. They didn't take advantage. The Sox hung a four-spot on them the next inning, and that was that.

oeo
04-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I really like this team. :smile:

Bucky F. Dent
04-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Didn't see the game
Saw from the box that Anderson replaced Swisher fairly early on.
Was Swisher injured or were they giving BA some time?

Tragg
04-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Nice bounceback. This team recognized last night for what it was - nonsense - and moved on.
Well-done.

Swisher at the top makes the team particularly tough. And Quentin in the 7 isn't bad either - he's not the obp machine swisher is, but he's pretty good at it.

sox1970
04-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Didn't see the game

Just took Swish and OC out for rest.

SoxSpeed22
04-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Nice way to start the series in Tampa. Vazquez had a lot of bad breaks today, but pitched through them very nicely, when he would've imploded 2 years ago. The thing I like the most is the at-bats that the Sox give. As much as I like Owens, he can stay in Charlotte, because Quentin and Swisher are working out very well.

Bucky F. Dent
04-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Just took Swish and OC out for rest.

Good.

Thanks,
Bucky

Railsplitter
04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
:bandance:

Am I nuts, or did somebody in the crowd have a sign that said something like "JJ farted"?

MarySwiss
04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
The PTC was up before the postgame thread. Has that ever happened before? :?:

oeo
04-18-2008, 10:32 PM
The PTC was up before the postgame thread. Has that ever happened before? :?:

It happened last night. :dunno:

Daver's quick like that.

Hitmen77
04-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Didn't see the game

They took out Swisher and OC once it became a 9-0 blowout. Gives them a rest and gives BA and Ramirez some at bats.

04-18-2008, 10:39 PM
this just in, thome's ball has just crossed the atlantic ocean...

TomParrish79
04-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Great game especially after the way the game went last night

Javy looked good again...

Vernam
04-18-2008, 10:43 PM
:bandance:

Am I nuts, or did somebody in the crowd have a sign that said something like "JJ farted"?Yep, more or less. Kind of funny, IMO.

Denks and Linebrink needed a night off, and Javi gave them one. I liked seeing TCQ go all-out for that ball headed to the gap in the 9th. After 2007, I've seen enough nonchalance to last a lifetime.

Way to bounce back from yesterday's loss. You learn a lot about teams after games like that.

Vernam

Navarro's Talent
04-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Goood game. I'm glad they bounced back from yesterday's tough loss.

The starting pitchers have been very very solid.

PeoriaSoxFan
04-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Go Sox. Does anyone else agree that MLB should be flat out embarrassed by the vast amount of blue seats in the stadium tonight? Living in Peoria, we have the class A Chiefs (affiliate of the scrubs). That stadium attendance tonight looked like a bad night in April for a minor league team. Sure, that was a blow out, but it was empty from the start. Seriously, that is embarrassing for MLB and Tampa. Next time you want to cry that you need a team, don't.

Sockinchisox
04-18-2008, 10:46 PM
The offense on this team is rediculous, and Javy is just so good right now.

Frontman
04-18-2008, 10:48 PM

Thought I saw a hole in the roof when Paulie's shot went in the opposite direction.

And Thome was so freakin' close on that late inning shot. MERCY!

Ziggy S
04-18-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm loving this pitching from the entire staff (minus McDougal, but hey) a lot. Also, nice to see some run support for another quality start. Javy is all like, "I could get used to this having a huge lead thing". Also, Thornton seems to have rebounded from last year. If this pitching holds up, we have a chance, even with the division being as tough and deep as it is (I'm not counting the Tiggers or Stereotype Racist Toons out and I never ever count out the Hostess Cupcakes).

JoeClutch24
04-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Good game, good to see how we reacted after a tough loss

Oldfellah
04-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Their back!!!!!!:bandance:

and we didn't lose any ground from last nights loss...:dtroll:

chisoxfanatic
04-18-2008, 11:02 PM
But Homefish assured us that last night's poor performance would be the turning point of the young season.

Speaking of turning points, Javy getting out of that bases-loaded jam in the second inning was key tonight. The Rays had their chance there. They didn't take advantage. The Sox hung a four-spot on them the next inning, and that was that.
I called it poetic justice. They didn't deserve to even have the bases loaded, as DeFelice leaned in to that pitch! I was surprised Hawk didn't go off more than he did.

Thank god Thome's looking like he's coming out of it now. If we can get our 3 and 4 bats going, this is going to be one of the most complete lineups in baseball.

Nice win.

Oldfellah
04-18-2008, 11:04 PM
What else do you expect from Homerfish

Ziggy S
04-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Funny, how HomeFish is nowhere to be found.

sox102
04-18-2008, 11:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing. :?:

JoeClutch24
04-18-2008, 11:12 PM
I am so happy to see these two guys back :bandance: :gulp:

SluggersAway
04-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Homefish response tonight:

BA went 0-2, Thome and Konerko are still hitting .182 so the HR's do not count with the Shoota scorecard, Alexei is hitting .176, Uribe is hitting .170, AJ went 0-5 and has lost 80 points on his batting average.

This team sucks!

sox102
04-18-2008, 11:16 PM

BA went 0-2, Thome and Konerko are still hitting .182 so the HR's do not count with the Shoota scorecard, Alexei is hitting .176, Uribe is hitting .170, AJ went 0-5 and has lost 80 points on his batting average.

This team sucks!

Well, it's a good thing they are winning with these guys sucking so bad! haha

bryPt
04-18-2008, 11:26 PM
I really like this team. :smile:

so do I.

But I always do, win or lose.

bryPt
04-18-2008, 11:27 PM

I was watching at Figo in Glen Ellyn (great restaurant people, go there) and saw it. Did they say an official distance on that thing and was it in miles?

jabrch
04-18-2008, 11:31 PM
If we get a few breaks here and there, I see no reason why this team can't be a contender.

oeo
04-18-2008, 11:37 PM
so do I.

But I always do, win or lose.

Of course, and so do I.

I was referring to this particular team, though. For instance, the 2007 team was not very likable.

GeorgieBoy
04-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Go Sox. Does anyone else agree that MLB should be flat out embarrassed by the vast amount of blue seats in the stadium tonight? Living in Peoria, we have the class A Chiefs (affiliate of the scrubs). That stadium attendance tonight looked like a bad night in April for a minor league team. Sure, that was a blow out, but it was empty from the start. Seriously, that is embarrassing for MLB and Tampa. Next time you want to cry that you need a team, don't.

what makes tonight's game any different than the last 8 or so years at that stadium? its always empty unless the yankees are in tampa.

JoeClutch24
04-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Of course, and so do I.

I was referring to this particular team, though. For instance, the 2007 team was not very likable.

I too agree kinda of like last year's Bears, a very unlikable team. But I love this team too

milrtyme28
04-18-2008, 11:44 PM
what makes tonight's game any different than the last 8 or so years at that stadium? its always empty unless the yankees are in tampa.

That place looks so depressing - I cant imagine walking in there on a beautiful summer day to watch baseball inside.

Their proposed new park looks incredible. I bet they draw a lot more in the new park. (If it happens)

GeorgieBoy
04-18-2008, 11:46 PM
That place looks so depressing - I cant imagine walking in there on a beautiful summer day to watch baseball inside.

Their proposed new park looks incredible. I bet they draw a lot more in the new park. (If it happens)

you gotta wonder what the players feel like when they have to go to tampa. on one hand its a dump of a stadium that no one goes to but on the other hand its a fun city to party in at night.

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Not to bitch too much...but it would be nice to see AJ and Dye hit well on a night that Thome and Paulie do the same....

Is Thorton the only pitcher we have that is not afraid to throw fastballs? It seemed like every pitch was in the ninties...love it!

All in all a very good game from the good guys...and it was nice to see Alexi actually get a sweet looking hit up the middle....

RadioheadRocks
04-18-2008, 11:55 PM

I saw the Sox play there last year and while the park was no great shakes by any means, it did have a few (albeit relatively minor) things going for it:

-parking was Free!!!
-decent food choices
-the stingray pool above center field was way cool! :cool:

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2008, 12:08 AM

There has been a HomeFish sighting on WSI tonight!

HomeFish
04-19-2008, 12:17 AM

This team sucks!

I value pitching over offense, so the batting averages at this point don't concern me too much. The fact that we have Danks, Floyd, and Contreras in the rotation worries me far more than Thome, Konerko, and Uribe starting off slow. I think Thome and Konerko will hit at least .250 this year; Uribe at least .220.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2008, 12:20 AM
They responded very well tonight after what happened in Baltimore.

The way they played tonight after getting in at 3AM was very telling about the guts of this team.

Congrats for showing a lot of character.

Now keep it going.

Lip

btrain929
04-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Hopefully we can save some run support for Buehrle and Danks.

I absolutely love Quentin's patience at the plate. I can see why he was an OBP machine in the minors. There shouldn't be a problem with that translating to the majors. Even the outs he's making are hard hit. Hopefully when Owens comes up, he's just used to give our OF'ers the occasional day off and not inserted into the starting lineup. That, and he can pinch-run for Dye or Swisher late in games.

Hopefully the SP can keep it up and the defense/bullpen got their 1 bad outing out of its system yesterday. We don't need to see that for another few months or so :)

Nellie_Fox
04-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Not to bitch too much...but it would be nice to see AJ and Dye hit well on a night that Thome and Paulie do the same....That is bitching too much. Nobody hits well every night. You want your big guys picking each other up, and that's what's happening.

HomeFish
04-19-2008, 12:24 AM
That is bitching too much. Nobody hits well every night. You want your big guys picking each other up, and that's what's happening.

Yes. The offense is showing good balance right now. If one part of the order can't hit, some other part is having a good night.

Metalthrasher442
04-19-2008, 12:25 AM
The only thing that gets me is that we score this many runs for Javy. I would much rather save it for contreras =]

Or Gavin when the man gets some ice water poured on him. He is on fire!!!!

HomeFish
04-19-2008, 12:29 AM
If we get a few breaks here and there, I see no reason why this team can't be a contender.

I'm trying to think of another year when the Sox over-achieved early and then fell apart. They started 2002 off well, I seem to recall. Also 2004, but in 2004 they were a much more talented team on paper than they are today, and it wasn't over-achieving so much as achieving what they were expected too.

The usual paradigm of the Manuel era was certainly suck in April, get back into contention over the summer, and then blow it at the end again.

I'm sure Lip and others who have followed baseball longer than I have can think of an example though.

Nellie_Fox
04-19-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm trying to think of another year when the Sox over-achieved early and then fell apart.Of course you are.

hawkjt
04-19-2008, 12:32 AM
The pitching has been nothing short of spectacular since Cleveland. I like our matchups the next 5 games with MB and Danks vs Tampa and then Jose ,Floyd and Javy vs the Yanks. Right now I would have to say the last three are our hottest pitchers which hopefully can hold down the yanks.

Thome's blast is the homer of the season til further notice. It led off Baseball2nite and adds to the Thome lore.

Damn fun season so far.

HomeFish
04-19-2008, 12:35 AM
I looked up the 2002 team; they started the season off 10-5, which is better than how the 2008 team is doing right now. From April 9 to April 18, the 2002 Sox had a streak where they won 8 out of 9 games -- largely against the Tigers and the Orioles, coincidentally enough.

Metalthrasher442
04-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Let's sweet the Rays.

I'm excited to see what those bottom two of the staff can do against the Yanks. Even if they blow it. We still swept the Rays =]

PeteWard
04-19-2008, 05:51 AM
The pitching has been nothing short of spectacular since Cleveland. I like our matchups the next 5 games with MB and Danks vs Tampa and then Jose ,Floyd and Javy vs the Yanks. Right now I would have to say the last three are our hottest pitchers which hopefully can hold down the yanks.

Thome's blast is the homer of the season til further notice. It led off Baseball2nite and adds to the Thome lore.

Damn fun season so far.

If they don't, I think the Sox can outscore them. NY's pitching is not very good anymore.

TommyJohn
04-19-2008, 06:14 AM
I looked up the 2002 team; they started the season off 10-5, which is better than how the 2008 team is doing right now. From April 9 to April 18, the 2002 Sox had a streak where they won 8 out of 9 games -- largely against the Tigers and the Orioles, coincidentally enough.

Hmmmm. You don't say. Well, in 1902, they were 8-7. In 1906 they were
7-8, in 2003 they were 9-6, in 2005 they were 11-4.

That's all I can think of for now, let me pull some more years out of my
ass and get back to you.

ZombieRob
04-19-2008, 08:37 AM
This is the series that worried me the most. Fall asleep on the Ray's and they can beat you quick. With the Yankee's comming up next it would have been easy for the Sox to overlook this team .So i give credit to Ozzie and the crew for being prepared.

Zisk77
04-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Only one negative for me last night: I wish someone would of stuck a baseball in Difelice's ribs sometime after the seventh inning last night since he wanted to be hit so bad. It prolly would have resulted in a 40 game suspension however.

Jurr
04-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Way to go, Sox! Even Ozzie was impressed how they responded.
Obviously, they put it on cruise control in the 7-9th against Baltimore, but the focus came right back last night. Good teams jump on bad teams and put them away. Very good sign by Vazquez in his ability to get the right pitch at the right time to induce the DP. Keep it up!

DumpJerry
04-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Did the '02 team start out with 24 home runs to the opponents' 4 home runs?

Oh wait, I know, home runs don't count, they kill rallies and really mess things up.

WizardsofOzzie
04-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Seriously, you're more annoying than some trolls

Hitmen77
04-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Hopefully we can save some run support for Buehrle and Danks.

I absolutely love Quentin's patience at the plate. I can see why he was an OBP machine in the minors. There shouldn't be a problem with that translating to the majors. Even the outs he's making are hard hit. Hopefully when Owens comes up, he's just used to give our OF'ers the occasional day off and not inserted into the starting lineup. That, and he can pinch-run for Dye or Swisher late in games.

I would change that to "if" Owens comes up. Barring injury to one of our OFs, he may be stuck in AAA for a long while if the guys up here continue to succeed.

I wonder if, at some point, the Sox may send BA to Charlotte to make way for Owens.

Hitmen77
04-19-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm trying to think of another year when the Sox over-achieved early and then fell apart. They started 2002 off well, I seem to recall. Also 2004, but in 2004 they were a much more talented team on paper than they are today, and it wasn't over-achieving so much as achieving what they were expected too.

The usual paradigm of the Manuel era was certainly suck in April, get back into contention over the summer, and then blow it at the end again.

I'm sure Lip and others who have followed baseball longer than I have can think of an example though.

Who says the Sox are "over-achieving" right now? :dunno: We're ranked 12th in the AL in batting avg right now and we're still scoring a bunch of runs. We won't stay at 12th and I don't think our run scoring is a "fluke" - it's a sign of a very solid lineup put together by KW.

The pitching could fizzle - but maybe not. All 5 starters do have a lot of talent. When Danks and Floyd pitch well, that's not "over achieving" - that's living up to their potential. The bullpen is always a worry - fortunes can change in a hurry. But it's looking pretty solid right now.

Brian26
04-19-2008, 01:12 PM
They started 2002 off well, I seem to recall. Also 2004, but in 2004 they were a much more talented team on paper than they are today, and it wasn't over-achieving so much as achieving what they were expected too.

I disagree with that. The 2008 team is just as talented, if not more, on paper, and it is absolutely more well-rounded in terms of defense and guys who can get on base.

Remember what you had in the first half of 2004. Garcia and Contreras hadn't been acquired yet. Our top three pitchers were Buehrle, Garland and a struggling Loaiza. The 4th and 5th spots were up for grabs between Schoenweis and a revolving door from Charlotte (Munoz, Diaz, Rauch). We had no catcher (Jamie Burke and Olivo before Ben Davis was acquired). We had no closer until Shingo was signed mid-season. The bullpen overall was weak. Willie Harris was at second. The middle of the lineup was pretty one-dimensional with Valentin and CLee either striking out or hitting a HR. I guess you could argue Mags and Frank, on paper before the injuries, were better than Dye and Thome, but it's not by much.

jabrch
04-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Don't feed the trolls....

MCHSoxFan
04-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes. The offense is showing good balance right now. If one part of the order can't hit, some other part is having a good night.

Sooo true!

Chicken Dinner
04-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Only one negative for me last night: I wish someone would of stuck a baseball in Difelice's ribs sometime after the seventh inning last night since he wanted to be hit so bad. It prolly would have resulted in a 40 game suspension however.

I agree. If that ****er wanted to be hit so bad, we should have zinged a fastball right at him so he would be happy.

kittle42
04-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm trying to think of another year when the Sox over-achieved early and then fell apart.

I hate to invoke 2005 (TM), but I really thought this year-in-year-out pessimism at all times would have stopped after that. But I guess there are always a few stragglers.

Tragg
04-19-2008, 02:16 PM
This is a much better team than 2004. We're thin in Starting pitching, but better. I think we're also last in the majors in stolen bases, which would have been unexpected 3 months ago.

Despite MacDougal pitching like Bukvich+ (pitching like crap, but his ERA is 3.00), we gave up 2 live arms for him, and I'm hoping we can get something for him in July.

Jjav829
04-19-2008, 02:39 PM
This run by our starting pitching has been pretty damn amazing. Who knows how long it will last, but it's been fun to watch.

Frontman
04-19-2008, 03:29 PM
This run by our starting pitching has been pretty damn amazing. Who knows how long it will last, but it's been fun to watch.

White Sox winning baseball is always fun to watch. 3 weeks in, the Sox have a winning record.

All good in my world.

MarySwiss
04-19-2008, 03:45 PM

It has, but IIRC, pretty much nobody expected the kind of pitching we got in 2005. Can lightning strike twice? Why not?

Jurr
04-19-2008, 03:53 PM
It has, but IIRC, pretty much nobody expected the kind of pitching we got in 2005. Can lightning strike twice? Why not?
Floyd and Danks are answering a lot of questions positively, and I hope they can keep it going.
I'll say this....I know people loved the Podsednik stealing/"smartball" business, but there's something very dangerous about a team that can actually take pitches and extend at bats the way this team does. Even if you don't score for 3 or 4 innings, if you're seeing a bunch of balls and strikes, you have the book on a pitcher by the 4th or 5th inning. It will save these Sox when they face a young pitcher, which is exactly what happened last night.

TDog
04-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Did the '02 team start out with 24 home runs to the opponents' 4 home runs?

Oh wait, I know, home runs don't count, they kill rallies and really mess things up.

The 1902 White Sox hit 14 home runs while giving up 30 for the season. The 2002 White Sox hit 18 home runs in their first 16 games while their pitchers gave up 13. Playing Oakland helped keep this year's opponent home run total down. I don't know if the A's hit any home runs on their recent winning road trip. But the Sox only played the A's twice.

I agree with Hitmen in that I don't believe the Sox are overachieving. Certainly they were underachieving Thursday night and in a couple of home games this year. Cabrera has been underachieving on defense and on offense. Konerko and Thome have been underachieving at the plate.

And I agree with Brian in that on paper the Sox are just as talented as the teams from earlier in the decade that didn't win.. Those frustrating Thomas-Ordonez years when the Sox offered the promise of a devastating lineup couple with spotty pitching and iffy defense.

It's possible that Danks and Floyd won't have good seasons. It is only April. But they have shown so far that they could be on the verge of fulfilling the promise that scouts saw in them. The key to the season is pitching, starting pitching, really. The bullpen is probably solid enough that it should be no problems if the starters get into the seventh.

If Danks and Floyd have arrived, I expect the White Sox to be this year's surprise team. Building a winner not only requires finding people with talent, but putting them together on a team where they are performing at the same time. Baseball teams play players based on what they have achieved. Many players have their best seasons before they're into the big money.

It usually comes down to pitching, though. Winning teams tend to be the ones who have very good pitchers having great seasons as well as younger pitchers emerging as solid starters.

And did anyone notice how the Sox hitters destroyed the young pitcher making his second major league start. His debut, I read, was quite impressive, but not against the Sox.