PDA

View Full Version : Did Uribe lose weight?

chisoxfanatic
04-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Is it just me, or does Uribe look thinner than he was last year? It seems that the bulk of that pudge that was in his mid-section is gone. I can definitely see a difference in his hustling level. I think hitting in the 9-spot is good for him and that he is going to have a much better year this year.

sullythered
04-18-2008, 09:24 PM
He looks as thick as ever to me. I kinda like that heft when it comes to guys trying to slide in to break up double plays on him. I don't think anybody wants to slide really hard into that moose.

MCHSoxFan
04-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Is it just me, or does Uribe look thinner than he was last year? It seems that the bulk of that pudge that was in his mid-section is gone. I can definitely see a difference in his hustling level. I think hitting in the 9-spot is good for him and that he is going to have a much better year this year.

I actually do agree you. I think he is running down to first base faster. Not Pods fast, buy faster than before.

ksimpson14
04-18-2008, 10:00 PM
If you can't beat Pods in the Fundamentals deck then you shouldn't be on the team IMO

ksimpson14
04-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Anyone see those hot Latinas signaling at Juan after his long flyout AB

http://bp0.blogger.com/_Qz9-wV-eLCI/R0HdHjprS7I/AAAAAAAAAMQ/GmcwjnoVl9w/s1600-h/d5486ecf-2e33-45ec-943c-cbc255cea40f.jpg

MCHSoxFan
04-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Anyone see those hot Latinas signaling at Juan after his long flyout AB

http://bp0.blogger.com/_Qz9-wV-eLCI/R0HdHjprS7I/AAAAAAAAAMQ/GmcwjnoVl9w/s1600-h/d5486ecf-2e33-45ec-943c-cbc255cea40f.jpg

:D:

Lefty34
04-18-2008, 11:54 PM
I can definitely see a difference in his hustling level. I think hitting in the 9-spot is good for him and that he is going to have a much better year this year.

I agree with you that Uribe has definitely lost some of that extra weight, in his midsection and his legs to some extent.

However hitting Uribe anywhere isn't going to make him any better: .146/.212/.250 while OPSing his way to a blistering .462 and an OPS+ of 23 in 48 AB's is garbage, even if it is the 9-spot.

voodoochile
04-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I agree with you that Uribe has definitely lost some of that extra weight, in his midsection and his legs to some extent.

However hitting Uribe anywhere isn't going to make him any better: .146/.212/.250 while OPSing his way to a blistering .462 and an OPS+ of 23 in 48 AB's is garbage, even if it is the 9-spot.

I highlighted the relevant portion of your stats...

Lefty34
04-19-2008, 12:21 AM

Touche, salesman.

But how about this

In 2005 Juan went .252/.301/.412 with an OPS+ of 85 (481AB's)

2006: .235/.301/.412; OPS+: 73 (463 AB's)

2007: .234/.284/.394; OPS+: 74 (513 AB's)

Let's see for OPS+ alone that reads 2005: slightly below average; 2006: well below average; 2007: below average once again. Is there any reason to believe that batting a garbage player anywhere different is going to spark some miraculous statistical comeback? IMO, that is a "no".

Lefty34
04-19-2008, 12:40 AM
But still, props must go to Uribe for at least seeming like he cares about how his physique may affect the White Sox and his overall ability to play the game. Though there are many other marks against Uribe in my book, this is another one to add to the "atta boy" column.

Jjav829
04-19-2008, 02:26 PM

It's not all that relevant. You point to a small sample size when a guy who has a track record of being a good hitter struggles. You point to sample size when a guy who has no track record at all struggles (ex: if those 48 AB's were his only career at-bats).

Uribe has a proven track record. It's not good. He has 3453 career plate appearances. He's a career .252 hitter with a career OBP of *ugh* .294.

He's a bad hitter. This bad? No, obviously not. If Uribe keeps starting, he'll have a hot streak at some point to help get things back near his usual crappy .250/.290/.420/.710 line. And he'll give away far too many at-bats for a major league hitter along the way.

voodoochile
04-19-2008, 02:30 PM
It's not all that relevant. You point to a small sample size when a guy who has a track record of being a good hitter struggles. You point to sample size when a guy who has no track record at all struggles (ex: if those 48 AB's were his only career at-bats).

Uribe has a proven track record. It's not good. He has 3453 career plate appearances. He's a career .252 hitter with a career OBP of *ugh* .294.

He's a bad hitter. This bad? No, obviously not. If Uribe keeps starting, he'll have a hot streak at some point to help get things back near his usual crappy .250/.290/.420/.710 line. And he'll give away far too many at-bats for a major league hitter along the way.

yes and no. The Sox can afford Uribe's bat hitting ninth (how many teams in the AL have a guy significantly better than that career average line batting 9th?) especially if he continues to play defense like he has so far this season - he might be the best defensive 2B in the majors.

If nothing else he won't kill the team doing what he is doing, hitting where he is hitting and if/when Richar gets healthy and comes on board, perhaps Uribe can simply ride the bench and offer defensive backup in case it is needed.

Jjav829
04-19-2008, 02:35 PM
yes and no. The Sox can afford Uribe's bat hitting ninth (how many teams in the AL have a guy significantly better than that career average line batting 9th?) especially if he continues to play defense like he has so far this season - he might be the best defensive 2B in the majors.

If nothing else he won't kill the team doing what he is doing, hitting where he is hitting and if/when Richar gets healthy and comes on board, perhaps Uribe can simply ride the bench and offer defensive backup in case it is needed.

If your argument is the Sox can afford Uribe's near automatic out at the bottom of the lineup because of his defense, fine. I took your pointing out his number of at-bats this year as if you were arguing that we shouldn't judge Uribe's offense yet because he's only had 48 at-bats this season. Hence my post...

voodoochile
04-19-2008, 02:55 PM
If your argument is the Sox can afford Uribe's near automatic out at the bottom of the lineup because of his defense, fine. I took your pointing out his number of at-bats this year as if you were arguing that we shouldn't judge Uribe's offense yet because he's only had 48 at-bats this season. Hence my post...

Yes, I was pointing out the sample size. If I expected Uribe to hit what he was hitting prior to yesterday's game then I too would advocate replacing him regardless of his defensive prowess, though I'd still wait until Richar were healthy and I wouldn't move Fields there under any circumstances.

However, if he can get his offensive numbers up to career norms and continue playing stellar defense at 2B then there is nothing wrong with leaving him right where he is, IMO.

jabrch
04-19-2008, 03:03 PM
However, if he can get his offensive numbers up to career norms and continue playing stellar defense at 2B then there is nothing wrong with leaving him right where he is, IMO.

And given our current lack of viable options, I'm not sure what the choice would be.

If we had Brian Roberts I'd be thrilled to bench Uribe. We don't.

santo=dorf
04-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Turn back the clock almost two years ago......
yes and no. The Sox can afford Anderson's bat hitting ninth (how many teams in the AL have a guy significantly better than that career average line batting 9th?) especially if he continues to play defense like he has so far this season - he might be the best defensive CF in the majors.
The 2006 team had a better lineup than this year's squad, and Anderson's numbers, which were better than Uribe's current numbers, pretty much banished him from the White Sox organization's plans for the future. Uribe's work ethic is worse than Anderson, and I won't compare being a shooting suspect to be seen be WSI posters on Rush St. at 3 AM before a game the next night.

DumpUribe.

voodoochile
04-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Turn back the clock almost two years ago......

The 2006 team had a better lineup than this year's squad, and Anderson's numbers, which were better than Uribe's current numbers, pretty much banished him from the White Sox organization's plans for the future. Uribe's work ethic is worse than Anderson, and I won't compare being a shooting suspect to be seen be WSI posters on Rush St. at 3 AM before a game the next night.

DumpUribe.
You know this how? Long term I want Richar at 2B. Oh a nd Anderson never made it to .700 OPS. I did like Anderson given other options. I don't anymore. I do like Uribe given current options. I may not come June.

Lefty34
04-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh a nd Anderson never made it to .700 OPS. I did like Anderson given other options. I don't anymore. I do like Uribe given current options. I may not come June.

This much is true, however Anderson did make it to 65 OPS+ in 2006 which is somewhat comparable to Uribe's 73 in that same year (both figures are well below the team average for that year, however they are still comparable). However, Anderson did that in his first full season of seeing major league pitching, and in almost 100 less AB's than Uribe. Given these numbers, I would be able to give Anderson the benefit of the doubt offensively, seeing as how we need his knowhow and range in CF to make up for Dye and Swisher/Quentin being a little slower and not knowing how to position themselves properly (though, Quentin has been holding down his OF spot really well this season). Uribe, on the other hand, has been putting up garbage numbers season after season, with no evident turnaround in any of his numbers from year to year. This, IMO, shows that lack of work ethic on Uribe's part (that, or he just sucks, either way he should not be the starting 2B for the Sox) while BA's contentedness with AAA last year and his awesome Spring Training this year shows that his work ethic has started to pay off.

voodoochile
04-19-2008, 08:15 PM
This much is true, however Anderson did make it to 65 OPS+ in 2006 which is somewhat comparable to Uribe's 73 in that same year (both figures are well below the team average for that year, however they are still comparable). However, Anderson did that in his first full season of seeing major league pitching, and in almost 100 less AB's than Uribe. Given these numbers, I would be able to give Anderson the benefit of the doubt offensively, seeing as how we need his knowhow and range in CF to make up for Dye and Swisher/Quentin being a little slower and not knowing how to position themselves properly (though, Quentin has been holding down his OF spot really well this season). Uribe, on the other hand, has been putting up garbage numbers season after season, with no evident turnaround in any of his numbers from year to year. This, IMO, shows that lack of work ethic on Uribe's part (that, or he just sucks, either way he should not be the starting 2B for the Sox) while BA's contentedness with AAA last year and his awesome Spring Training this year shows that his work ethic has started to pay off.

Our outfield defense has been just fine. There is no need to remove the better hitters for BA any time soon.

pczarapa
04-20-2008, 06:36 PM

I thought the same thing, looks a little leaner

Lip Man 1
04-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Uribe has less weight to carry back to the bench after striking out.

Lip

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Uribe has less weight to carry back to the bench after striking out.

Lip

He ran 360 feet today. :D:

turners56
04-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Juan looks fatter to me this year...

Lefty34
04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Our outfield defense has been just fine. There is no need to remove the better hitters for BA any time soon.

That is not what I was calling for, not at all. I was comparing the well below average numbers between BA (a younger player with potential, who has had only one bad full season) and Uribe (an offensive sloth who puts up garbage numbers wherever he bats in the order) and asking why BA is benched consistently (which is not to call for his immediate insertion in the lineup, rather, it is a rhetorical phrase) and why Uribe is playing every day.

If you believe defense is more important in the field, then BA should be playing more at the expense of Quentin's offense, and Uribe should be playing. However if you want more offense, then the outfield is just fine and Uribe should be benched for a better offensive starter.

Chicken Dinner
04-21-2008, 01:46 PM
That is not what I was calling for, not at all. I was comparing the well below average numbers between BA (a younger player with potential, who has had only one bad full season) and Uribe (an offensive sloth who puts up garbage numbers wherever he bats in the order) and asking why BA is benched consistently (which is not to call for his immediate insertion in the lineup, rather, it is a rhetorical phrase) and why Uribe is playing every day.

If you believe defense is more important in the field, then BA should be playing more at the expense of Quentin's offense, and Uribe should be playing. However if you want more offense, then the outfield is just fine and Uribe should be benched for a better offensive starter.

There is currently no "better offensive starter" that can play 2nd base.

voodoochile
04-21-2008, 04:07 PM
There is currently no "better offensive starter" that can play 2nd base.

Ozuna might put up better offensive numbers, but the defense would fall off the cliff.

Your point is correct though, it's because of where they play. BA plays a position that is covered by someone who doesn't give up much defensively and outhits BA by a ton.

Tekijawa
04-21-2008, 04:34 PM
I think the rest of the team just got fatter.

BainesHOF
04-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, Uribe has lost points from his batting average so he probably is lighter.

chisoxfanatic
04-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Well, Uribe has lost points from his batting average so he probably is lighter.

I don't know why; but, I have this weird feeling that Juan will break out of it and actually do something offensively this year. Call it a woman's intuition!

palehozenychicty
04-22-2008, 09:42 AM
People still debating the merits of Juan Uribe. He must have some dirt on Ozzie and Kenny. Once Richar heals, it's a wrap that Uribe must be gone.

Lefty34
04-22-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't know why; but, I have this weird feeling that Juan will break out of it and actually do something offensively this year. Call it a woman's intuition!

162 game AVG for Juan Uribe: .252/.293/.424 OPS+: 80. Juan Uribe's "something" just plain sucks. So unless you plan on him breaking out of his career long slump, although I respect a woman's intuition, your optimism is sorely misplaced.

voodoochile
04-22-2008, 11:07 AM
162 game AVG for Juan Uribe: .252/.293/.424 OPS+: 80. Juan Uribe's "something" just plain sucks. So unless you plan on him breaking out of his career long slump, although I respect a woman's intuition, your optimism is sorely misplaced.

First let me say that I expect Richar to eventually take over the position.

However, does anyone know if it's possible to track down stats for #9 hitters in the AL or at least what is an average line for a #9 hitter in the AL?

voodoochile
04-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Found It.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?sort=OPS&split=117&group=7&season=2008&seasonType=2&statType=batting&type=reg

AL average for 9th place hitter was a line of: .234/.288/.320/.608

An OPS of .710 in the 9th slot would have put the Sox 3rd in the AL last season for production from that lineup slot. Oh, and 20 HR would be 17 more than the #2 team.

Edit: Whoops that link is for 2008

Here's the one for 2007 where an OPS of .710 would put the Sox in 4th place in the AL from the #9 hitter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?sort=OPS&split=117&group=7&season=2007&seasonType=2&statType=batting&type=reg

The AL average line for a 9th place hitter was: .249/.302/.367/.669

And the Sox led the league in HE from that batting slot with 18.

Lefty34
04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Found It.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?sort=OPS&split=117&group=7&season=2008&seasonType=2&statType=batting&type=reg

AL average for 9th place hitter was a line of: .234/.288/.320/.608

An OPS of .710 in the 9th slot would have put the Sox 3rd in the AL last season for production from that lineup slot. Oh, and 20 HR would be 17 more than the #2 team.

Edit: Whoops that link is for 2008

Here's the one for 2007 where an OPS of .710 would put the Sox in 4th place in the AL from the #9 hitter.

Fine, I'll give you that if Uribe posted his career average numbers in '07 the Sox would have been there, however looking at his actual production in '07: .234/.284/.394 OPS: .678 would have put the Sox tied for 5th in the AL for OPS out of the 9 hole, 11th in OBP (which they happened to be anyway). I think we can all agree (except Daver) that OBP is way more important than SLG (see: anything written by Bill James) and Uribe's inability to get on base when he is without getting a hit (when he hit a career high .300 in 2001 his OBP was only .325) is purely unacceptable, as illustrated by the Sox 11th rank in 2007. I was merely quoting OPS+ because it provides and example of how the player was slugging compared to the league average. OBP > SLG, and Uribe sucks at both. Get him out of here ASAP, please.

Gammons Peter
04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't think he has lost any weight, I think he misplaced it... in his back pocket