PDA

View Full Version : Owens staying in Charlotte

WagMan
04-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Jerry Owens taken off the DL and optioned to Charlotte. Good news for Brian Anderson fans...

Link:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080418&content_id=2546554&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

spiffie
04-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Good move. They have a nice setup right now with Dye/Swisher/Quentin in the OF. No reason to mess with that.

munchman33
04-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Good move. They have a nice setup right now with Dye/Swisher/Quentin in the OF. No reason to mess with that.

What about getting BA some at bats?

It's Dankerific
04-18-2008, 02:25 PM
They had some time with the rehab assignment. Obviously they were tired of paying him the major league minimum. Great savings guys! Maybe we can use that savings to DFA Toby

Madvora
04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
They had some time with the rehab assignment. Obviously they were tired of paying him the major league minimum. Great savings guys! Maybe we can use that savings to DFA Toby
Uribe's got a strong arm, how about him behind the plate and Ramirez at 2B?

It's Dankerific
04-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Uribe's got a strong arm, how about him behind the plate and Ramirez at 2B?

Who IS the emergency catcher?

UofCSoxFan
04-18-2008, 02:33 PM
At one time it was Konerko wasn't it?

Pablo maybe?

Frontman
04-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Who IS the emergency catcher?

Uribe is the emergency catcher.

soltrain21
04-18-2008, 02:41 PM

They still have to pay him the major league minimum, as he is part of the player's union.

It's Dankerific
04-18-2008, 02:43 PM
They still have to pay him the major league minimum, as he is part of the player's union.

Not so sure about that. he wont be IN the major leagues. Hawk and DJ used to talk about minor leaguers getting "injured" while in the big leagues to cash a couple more checks before getting sent to AAA.

A. Cavatica
04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
I think the Anderson/Owens debate is dead. We've found our LF and CF.

I didn't see the game, but I wonder why Ozzie didn't use Anderson as a defensive replacement with the lead last night. Since he's apparently only on the team because he's a premier defensive centerfielder, if he's not going to be used as a defensive replacement, ship him out and bring up Owens.

TDog
04-18-2008, 02:53 PM
... and this should surprise no one.

scarsofthumper
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
I got a text update from MLB and I saw that Owens got activated and I got upset...then I scrolled down and saw he was optioned to Charlotte and I got happy.

russ99
04-18-2008, 03:26 PM
I still think Owens will become our primary backup outfielder.

This move to me is mostly due to the Sox having a 20-game deadline to remove him from the DL/rehab assignment. It's a wise move for them not to rush things - see how he can do in AAA at the plate and if he's still got lingering effects from the injury.

russ99
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I think the Anderson/Owens debate is dead. We've found our LF and CF.

I didn't see the game, but I wonder why Ozzie didn't use Anderson as a defensive replacement with the lead last night. Since he's apparently only on the team because he's a premier defensive centerfielder, if he's not going to be used as a defensive replacement, ship him out and bring up Owens.

#1 - They have a relatively small outfield in Baltimore. Certainly nothing like they have in Detroit.

#2 - I don't see where Brian really adds to the overall outfield defensive coverage/range than we already have in Swisher and Quentin. At least not enough of a difference to sub him in the 8th inning every night... If someone were hurting or lost a step, I'd be all for it, but it looks to me like the outfield is pretty solid and even Dye has been making some nice plays.

It's Dankerific
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM
#1 - They have a relatively small outfield in Baltimore. Certainly nothing like they have in Detroit.

#2 - I don't see where Brian really adds to the overall outfield defensive coverage/range than we already have in Swisher and Quentin. At least not enough of a difference to sub him in the 8th inning every night...

I think the thought is to sub him for JD, not Swish or Quentin.

santo=dorf
04-18-2008, 03:34 PM
... and this should surprise no one.
I think the 2005-4-LYFE's are disappointed because we won't have a speedy guy who doesn't get on base that much at the top of the lineup.

Perhaps Jerry Owens can be the "spark plug" or "catalyst" to the Knights and lead them to the 2005 International League Championship.

kittle42
04-18-2008, 03:38 PM
I can't wait for the thread of epic proportions that will happen when Owens is recalled and Anderson is sent down.

It will be like arguing over which is better - a hernia or hemorrhoids.

voodoochile
04-18-2008, 03:38 PM
I think the 2005-4-LYFE's are disappointed because we won't have a speedy guy who doesn't get on base that much at the top of the lineup.

Perhaps Jerry Owens can be the "spark plug" or "catalyst" to the Knights and lead them to the 2005 International League Championship.

That'd be some trick...:tongue:

jabrch
04-18-2008, 03:47 PM
I can't wait for the thread of epic proportions that will happen when Owens is recalled and Anderson is sent down.

It will be like arguing over which is better - a hernia or hemorrhoids.

That's one of the funniest and most true things I have seen here in a while...