PDA

View Full Version : Hawk-DJ Spat?

Viva Magglio
04-29-2002, 11:22 AM
Boers & Bernstein are saying Hawk & DJ had a spat over the weekend about curveballs.

RedPinStripes
04-29-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Boers & Bernstein are saying Hawk & DJ had a spat over the weekend about curveballs.
:hawk
"Argue with me and your ass is fired!"

CerberusWG
04-29-2002, 01:00 PM
Yeah, they did argue. It was pretty freaking lame, but I got a laugh out of it because it was so stupid.

For some reason Hawk brought up the point that kids shouldn't throw curveballs at a young age because it will reck their elbows/muscles. DJ said that this was false, and he threw curveballs all the time.

Going into break, instead of saying the score or what not, Hawk just said "Well, I wouldn't let you coach my son." in a really pissed off tone.

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2002, 01:12 PM
Neither of them is an orthopedic surgeon, but I would agree with Hawk. If grown men can screw up their elbows throwing breaking pitches, imagine what it does to the growth plates at the end of still growing bones.

Nellsin
04-29-2002, 01:20 PM
I heard this one, as reported above. Then when they came back from commercial DJ said, in a humorous tone, "What makes you think I'd even want to coach your kids?" and Hawk said, in an unhumorous tone, "Don't worry about it. You wouldn't." Then DJ said of course, if a parent doesn't want his kid to throw curveballs then DJ would naturally abide by that as a coach. Hawk seemed mollified. The next day DJ alluded to it and Hawk just chuckled, so it appears that DJ has been forgiven. Whew.

Kilroy
04-29-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Nellsin
The next day DJ alluded to it and Hawk just chuckled, so it appears that DJ has been forgiven. Whew.

I think that's a pretty damned stupid thing to be arguing about. It probably was the result of having 2 straight blowouts that they had to fill time in.

RedPinStripes
04-29-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I think that's a pretty damned stupid thing to be arguing about. It probably was the result of having 2 straight blowouts that they had to fill time in.

That stuff happens even when you're not professionals. JoeBatters and I were ready to go at it a few times through the beatings over the weekend. When you're big homers, it's not easy to stay in high spirits and talk about your favorite team through a whole game.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-29-2002, 02:56 PM
:DJ
"He started it"

duke of dorwood
04-29-2002, 02:57 PM
:chimp :carter

It could be worse

Foulke You
04-29-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

It could be worse

Amen to that!!

RedPinStripes
04-29-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood

It could be worse

:joebatters

"How you dowin!!!!!!!"

GASHWOUND
04-29-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

That stuff happens even when you're not professionals. JoeBatters and I were ready to go at it a few times through the beatings over the weekend. When you're big homers, it's not easy to stay in high spirits and talk about your favorite team through a whole game.

Ain't that true. Wish I could've heard you guys through those weekend games..I still cringe that we got outscored 32-5, or 26 to 1 the last 2 games...26 to 1!!!! That god for alcohol.. :gulp:

Randar68
04-29-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Neither of them is an orthopedic surgeon, but I would agree with Hawk. If grown men can screw up their elbows throwing breaking pitches, imagine what it does to the growth plates at the end of still growing bones.

Actually, throwing a proper overhand curve is not hard on your arm at all.

What is hard on your arm is that most kids and yougn pro's are nto taught how to throw it, so they generate curve/spin by using crappy arm angles and throwing sliders/slurves.

That is what screws up your arm.

My kids will throw Fastball (cutter) and change first. If they can throw fastballs with control and learn 4 seam and cutter, I will start to teach them to throw an overhand curve.

I will never let my kid throw a slider. That is the absolute worst pitch on your elbow.