PDA

View Full Version : Marty Brennaman will be on ESPN 1000 at 10:20

It's Time
04-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Could be some of the most interesting radio we have heard in a long time. He is going to address the comments he made about Cubs fans. Get ready for Marty to say how his comments were "taken the wrong way".

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Why would he back away from them? I hope he doesn't try to say they were taken out of context. Because from that clip, there's no way they could have been. And besides, everything he said was true

Viva Medias B's
04-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Marty won't back down. I don't think he's that kind of guy.

southsideirish71
04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
One of the cubbie faithful just called in and described the behavior of throwing 20 baseballs on the field, or throwing garbage as "being passionate fans".

Thats a new spin on it.

voodoochile
04-18-2008, 09:45 AM
One of the cubbie faithful just called in and described the behavior of throwing 20 baseballs on the field, or throwing garbage as "being passionate fans".

Thats a new spin on it.

Much the way a 2 year old is simply being passionate against Mom's "No you can't pee on the cat" when he throws his Tonka truck at the plasma TV.

It's Time
04-18-2008, 09:56 AM
20 minutes until showtime. :D:

twentywontowin
04-18-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm glad Silverman called the bad Cubs fans out this morning as well. I know he drinks the Cubbie blue drink, but at least I know he knows right from wrong.

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Thats a new spin on it.

And they "deserve" to win the World Series because they're so passionate. :rolleyes:

It's Time
04-18-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm glad Silverman called the bad Cubs fans out this morning as well. I know he drinks the Cubbie blue drink, but at least I know he knows right from wrong.

Yup, he did. He also said that most Cubs fans are good fans and should not be lumped in with a few idiots. They are about to replay the Brennaman comments after the break.

voodoochile
04-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Maybe if enough people call them bad fans, the bleacher creatures can protest those sentiments by chucking even more trash on the field.

Over By There
04-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Awesome. He starts by being asked if he regrets saying anything he said. His response, "not a damn thing."

It's Time
04-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Marty: "I apologize to the true Cubs fans. I don't regret a damn thing I said".

SoxFan78
04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Silvy - "Would you take back anything you said"

Marty - "Not a DAMN thing!"

TomBradley72
04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Do you regret anything you said?

"Not a damn thing"

Awesome.

twentywontowin
04-18-2008, 10:27 AM
I love this guy.

Over By There
Paraphrasing, he also comments that he's just articulating something that lots of people feel (about Cub fan behavior), but don't feel comfortable saying.

sox1970
Silvy with a pointless argument...dope.

Juice16
04-18-2008, 10:28 AM
can someone give some play-by-play, im sitting at work. thanks.

Over By There
Marty ****ing rules.

Rocky Soprano
"This is only happens at Wrigley Field!" :bandance:

rowand33
04-18-2008, 10:29 AM
sticking to hsi guns.

Ex-Chicagoan
04-18-2008, 10:30 AM
Atta boy, Marty!

VenturaFan23
04-18-2008, 10:31 AM

Yeah I like Silvy, but I liked him better when it was Silvy & Carmen. Now that Waddle's with him, it's basically an all Cub show, which is why I stopped listening to it. Man, how I miss Silvy & Carmen together :angry:

Juice16
I hope they post this on the web site so I can hear it

Over By There
Wow, he really dislikes the Cubs. Now talking about how the Cubs aren't that special of a franchise just because they have so many fans, it's just because of WGN, etc. This is a lot of fun to listen to.

Over By There
04-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Paraphrasing: unless you're a Cubs fan, everyone roots against the Cubs.

SoxGirl4Life
I hope they post this on the web site so I can hear it
They should have it on their podcast page. This is big news!

Rocky Soprano
Wow, he really dislikes the Cubs. Now talking about how the Cubs aren't that special of a franchise just because they have so many fans, it's just because of WGN, etc. This is a lot of fun to listen to.

He then said, I don't care if they have 3 trillion fans, on gameday, the people in the park represent Cub fans and they are the only ones that do this kind of stuff. :bandance:

SoxGirl4Life
Paraphrasing: unless you're a Cubs fan, everyone roots against the Cubs.

This, is going to be shocking to Cubs fans. Delusion at its best

It's Time
04-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Long and short of it: "I should have not added the true Cubs fans into those comments".

He does think that Wrigley has more craziness then any park.

Scottzilla
04-18-2008, 10:37 AM
ya Silvy had a really weak argument about there being more cubs fans. I couldnt make it out because of loud co workers, but did i hear the word jealous being thrown out there?

It's Time
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
ya Silvy had a really weak argument about there being more cubs fans. I couldnt make it out because of loud co workers, but did i hear the word jealous being thrown out there?

Silvy asked if Brennaman was jealous with how Cubs fans take over great american ballpark, Brennaman said no.

Over By There
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM

The jealous bit was basically Silvy asking whether there is bitterness because Cub fans fill up the Great American Ballpark when they're in town. Answer was something along the lines of, no, we're happy to have the revenue.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-18-2008, 10:41 AM
What were the original comments? Is there a link somewhere?

bryPt
04-18-2008, 10:45 AM
gonna have to download this if they put it up there. Marty is a legend. WSI needs to do an interview with him!

C-Dawg
04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I wish Marty could have gone into more detail about bad fan behavior, such as the throwing of garbage several times in the past few seasons (he might not be aware of those examples). It would be hard for anyone to defend that kind of crap.

kittle42
04-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I have visited about 14 ballparks. Do any of those with more experience know whether any other team values more the "experience" of attending a game and "having fun" while there - and happily promotes such an atmosphere - than they do winning the games?

The carziest fans I have ever seen are Cardinals fans - but they are crazy in an intense way - when the Cards are getting stomped, they're not chuckling it up in the stands like morons. When Izzy is out there with a one-run lead, they're not worried about whether they can get a seat at Mike Shannon's.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-18-2008, 10:53 AM
What were the original comments? Is there a link somewhere?

Found the original link.:redface:

Scottzilla
04-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Silvy asked if Brennaman was jealous with how Cubs fans take over great american ballpark, Brennaman said no.

Ya when I heard the word jealous I assumed thats where they were going. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt though. Just shows you the mentality of these idiots. Silvy included.

"Oh ya, we're not jerks, you're just jealous of how awesome we are!"

Uncle_Patrick
04-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I wish Marty could have gone into more detail about bad fan behavior, such as the throwing of garbage several times in the past few seasons (he might not be aware of those examples). It would be hard for anyone to defend that kind of crap.

Its not that hard for Cubs fans to defend. All they say is either its "passion" or "those people aren't typical Cubs fans". I'm not saying its a good defense, but those seem to be their stock answers when Cubs fans act like idiots. Meanwhile, all Sox fans are trash and any misbehavior by a Sox fan is "typical". And if Cubs and Sox fans are mixing it up, its undoubtedly the Sox fans' fault.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Cub fan idiocy has found it's way to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Brennaman

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 11:16 AM

That is horrible.

munchman33
04-18-2008, 11:17 AM

unreal.

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 11:18 AM

I would hope Wiki takes that down. And soon.

voodoochile
04-18-2008, 11:20 AM
That's sure to be gone soon, so I'm archiving it here...

Brennamen died on July 8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_8), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008) at Wrigley Field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_Field) in Chicago, Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago%2C_Illinois). Brennamen suffered internal bleeding and a fatal skull fracture after dozens of fans pummeled him with baseballs from the outfield bleachers. This heroic assault was in retaliation for derogatory comments Brennaman made on April 17 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_17), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008) about Chicago Cubs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cubs) fans, often regarded as the best sports fans in the world.

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 11:22 AM

I thought about that--but I was afraid they'd somehow say Sox fans did that.

Scottzilla
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I wonder if that could be considered a threat, by the poster.

Luke
04-18-2008, 11:27 AM

Pure Class.

I have a bias as well, and I'm not a fair judge, so I'll just say this; The behavior on the north side is its own unique brand, and I believe it's behavior that is nurtured there if not tacitly encouraged. I've seen idiotic sports fans at every venue I've been to, but by and far it all seems generic and is interchangeable from stadium to stadium.

As far as obnoxious sports behavior goes, Cubs fans have their own unique brand.

Rocky Soprano
04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Someone should send this to all the media.

sullythered
04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I thought about that--but I was afraid they'd somehow say Sox fans did that.
As the days pass, I am more and more amazed that we're somehow the ones regarded as barbaric and stupid.

Rocky Soprano
04-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Looks like its fixed.

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Looks like its fixed.

I thought it would be. I printed a hard copy before I refreshed the browser tho.

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2008, 11:32 AM
:roflmao: Way to prove his point jackasses

VeeckAsInWreck
04-18-2008, 11:33 AM

Thanks for archiving it vodoo. It has been fixed now. If Sox fans were acting like this we would be hearing about it all day long from the wind bags at the Score and AM 1000. Let's face it ESPN too.

gregoriop
04-18-2008, 11:44 AM
gonna have to download this if they put it up there. Marty is a legend. WSI needs to do an interview with him!

No, I think this would reflecting negatively on us that we are more concerned about them then our own team.

I do love the guy for telling it how it is though.

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for archiving it vodoo. It has been fixed now. If Sox fans were acting like this we would be hearing about it all day long from the wind bags at the Score and AM 1000. Let's face it ESPN too.

They haven't fixed the "Died" quote under his picture on the side.

Juice16
04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
No, I think this would reflecting negatively on us that we are more concerned about them then our own team.

I do love the guy for telling it how it is though.

People can multi task. Just because one may wonder about the Cubs and what others say about them doesn't make them less concerned about the White Sox. I see your concern, many people are quick to through out the Cubsessed bs.

Iwritecode
04-18-2008, 12:10 PM

I think it's good that the truth is finally starting to come out into the national spotlight.

There's really nothing lovable about those losers...

spiffie
04-18-2008, 12:12 PM
They haven't fixed the "Died" quote under his picture on the side.
I took care of that. Here's to many more years for Marty! :gulp:

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I took care of that. Here's to many more years for Marty! :gulp:
:gulp:To Marty!

kba
04-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I have visited about 14 ballparks. Do any of those with more experience know whether any other team values more the "experience" of attending a game and "having fun" while there - and happily promotes such an atmosphere - than they do winning the games?

The carziest fans I have ever seen are Cardinals fans - but they are crazy in an intense way - when the Cards are getting stomped, they're not chuckling it up in the stands like morons. When Izzy is out there with a one-run lead, they're not worried about whether they can get a seat at Mike Shannon's.

Tampa Bay, for obvious reasons, tends to promote family fun at the ballpark more than the team itself. But, unlike on the north side, not many Tampa residents buy into that.

Dodger Stadium fans aren't real engaged with the game, but it's more of a laid-back California "see and be seen" attitude, rather than the rowdiness at Wrigley.

Over By There
04-18-2008, 12:47 PM
That Wikipedia entry sums up Cubs fans pretty well - delusional ("best sports fans in the world") and classless.

Blueprint1
04-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah I like Silvy, but I liked him better when it was Silvy & Carmen. Now that Waddle's with him, it's basically an all Cub show, which is why I stopped listening to it. Man, how I miss Silvy & Carmen together :angry:

This is why I no longer listen. With Weddle its two cubs fans now.

kaufsox
04-18-2008, 01:12 PM

LIP! your next assignment:D:

Viva Medias B's
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Marty spoke the gospel about those people. Just you wait, Next time a close controversial call by an umpire at Wrigley Field goes against the Cubs, the bleacherites will trash the outfield. I say that if that happens, the umpires should automatically forfeit the game to the visiting team.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-18-2008, 01:31 PM
LIP! your next assignment:D:

I suggested it too! You can see Lip's response as well

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1857344#post1857344

chaerulez
04-18-2008, 01:32 PM
One day one of these idiots is going to hit a Cub player doing this.

bryPt
04-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Marty is not doing to well on "tool of the week" on Murphy's show. No surprise. he won in a landslide.

I believe Marty's line "I don't care how many cub fans there are, when they are in the ballpark, they represent all of cub fans" is brilliant and dead on.

Clearly, Murph and his fans don't get it.

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Marty is not doing to well on "tool of the week" on Murphy's show. No surprise. he won in a landslide.

I believe Marty's line "I don't care how many cub fans there are, when they are in the ballpark, they represent all of cub fans" is brilliant and dead on.

Clearly, Murph and his fans don't get it.
Because they compose the above mentioned group of morons

Irishsox1
04-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Here is Marty's actual call from the Cubs/Reds game

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9Kso9q_Ws

Boondock Saint
04-18-2008, 01:59 PM
That Wikipedia blurb just pissed me off. How classless/brainless do you have to be? "He said bad stuff about the Cubs! I'll go and talk about beating him to death on the internet!"

The internet- Home of the anonymous hard-ass Cub fan.

thomas35forever
04-18-2008, 02:03 PM
That Wikipedia blurb just pissed me off. How classless/brainless do you have to be? "He said bad stuff about the Cubs! I'll go and talk about beating him to death on the internet!"

The internet- Home of the anonymous hard-ass Cub fan.
True. Whoever wrote that should be blocked from posting anything on the Internet ever again and have his computer taken away for a month.

twentywontowin
04-18-2008, 02:12 PM

Waddle is a Reds fan and a White Sox supporter.

It's Time
04-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Brennaman, to be fair, made a mistake by going after the organization during his rant. I think Pinella and DeRosa were none to pleased with that.

IMO, it made Marty sound petty.

voodoochile
04-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Brennaman, to be fair, made a mistake by going after the organization during his rant. I think Pinella and DeRosa were none to pleased with that.

IMO, it made Marty sound petty.

Really? Well whose fault is it that this crap keeps happening? How many times do the "lovable faithful" get to trash the field and disrupt play before something is done about it? Does someone have to get hurt? It's disgraceful to the game, but it's all about the money and flubbie management would rather continue raking in money hand over fist selling beer to drunken idiots in the bleachers than fix this blight on the game of baseball.

bigsoxfan420
04-18-2008, 03:24 PM
This may already be here, but the podcast is available on www.espnam1000.com (http://www.espnam1000.com) from today's interview.

It's Time
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Really? Well whose fault is it that this crap keeps happening? How many times do the "lovable faithful" get to trash the field and disrupt play before something is done about it? Does someone have to get hurt? It's disgraceful to the game, but it's all about the money and flubbie management would rather continue raking in money hand over fist selling beer to drunken idiots in the bleachers than fix this blight on the game of baseball.

Brennaman said:" The Cubs are favored to win the division, but they are still the Cubs and will find a way not to/blow it."

That has nothing to do with the fans.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Communicated with a friend from the Chicago media. Sent them the Wikipedia nonsense (before it was taken down) as well as the you tube video.

They got back with me and said they feel sorry for Marty. In reference to Cub fans, their comment was priceless.

"Wrigley Field has become a liqueured up war zone. I'd rather my ten year old son spend a night at the Cook Country jail then go to Wrigley."

LOL

And yea Mark DeRosa (less then two years with the Cubs) has a real feel for those fans doesn't he?

Lip

Vernam
04-18-2008, 06:40 PM
That is horrible.Go to http://tinyurl.com/6568dq if you want to see what the charming Cub wiki vandals posted before sanity was restored.

Jim Morrissey on CTL today ever-so-gingerly proposed that Cub/Trib management (is there a difference?) should take this opportunity to try tone down the behavior in the bleachers. That'll be the day. :rolleyes:

If the Cubs' fan base ever was special, it was because they had good-natured people who supported their team against all reason (sort of like Sox fans pre-WS05, but with a large dose of North Side idiocy in place of the South Side cynicism). Those days are long over, IMO, and the mean spiritedness that prevails now at Wrigley is an embarrassment that Brennaman was right to point out. I honestly feel sorry for the good Cub fans who have to endure what that place has become.

While we're pointing fingers, all of us Sox fans would also do well to think about whether our own behavior skirts close to what's become routine at Wrigley. Morrissey actually gave us a left-handed compliment by saying the USCF atmosphere has improved a lot since the team (and maybe fans) made adjustments after certain incidents-that-shall-remain-nameless. The more different we are from that ****hole, the better, I say.

Vernam

Johnny Mostil
04-18-2008, 07:16 PM
Go to http://tinyurl.com/6568dq if you want to see what the charming Cub wiki vandals posted before sanity was restored.

Some of those comments were charming. Beyond the ones already noted, there were those comparing the success of the Cubs and Reds. Let's see, since 1974, when Brennaman first started broadcasting the Reds, the team has won, what, three World Series championships? And in that time, or in the thirty-four years before that, or, what the hey, in the thirty-four years before that, the Cubs have won how many?

SoxandtheCityTee
04-18-2008, 07:31 PM
My knowledgable Cub fan co-worker, a very decent guy, flatly refuses to sit in the bleachers, and has for years. He's hoping that this will somehow lead to the team exerting a bit of control over the most egregious clowns out there.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-18-2008, 07:44 PM
My knowledgable Cub fan co-worker, a very decent guy, flatly refuses to sit in the bleachers, and has for years. He's hoping that this will somehow lead to the team exerting a bit of control over the most egregious clowns out there.
That sounds like my buddy at work. He's very dissapointed by the management and the choices they've made. I think an earlier poster hit the nail lon the head. The next time an ump blows a call at Wrigley that goes against the Cubs, a very ugly situation could really explode on the field.

chisox56
04-18-2008, 07:52 PM

Isn't Tom Waddle a Reds fan? I remember a few years ago when Fox Sports Net was still in Chicago that he had bet someone there that "his Reds" would finish better than the Cubs.

Law11
04-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Dig the shirt..

NADA SURF
04-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Brennaman has always been a complete jerk and a mediocre announcer, but I love what he did here....The bitterness of Cubs' fans is growing and growing and I LOVE IT!I love this guy.

bryPt
04-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Dig the shirt..

DIG IT!

ksimpson14
04-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Isn't Tom Waddle a Reds fan? I remember a few years ago when Fox Sports Net was still in Chicago that he had bet someone there that "his Reds" would finish better than the Cubs.

Yes, before this all went down, and Marty's son Thom was interviewed on Am1000, Waddle talked some smack after the interview, went on to rip the Cubs and the whole experience, charade, how ridiculous the guests/7th inning stretch thing can be, where everything else but baseball is the focus.

I agree though, I liked Silvy and Carmen better. Tom still worked on WGN, and I do feel that 'all Cubs' aspect. When the show first started, they had this dumb anti Sox fan argument, and of course, both agreed against the Sox fans (it was some generalization, that if Cub fans rip on the Sox, the Sox fan will always bring up futility regarding the Cubs even though it has nothing to do with the Sox, while the Cubs fan won't do that if the situation is reversed. And then Cub fan after Cub fan called in and agreed, real ridiculous )

EndemicSox
04-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Marty spoke the gospel about those people. Just you wait, Next time a close controversial call by an umpire at Wrigley Field goes against the Cubs, the bleacherites will trash the outfield. I say that if that happens, the umpires should automatically forfeit the game to the visiting team.

Of course he did, although in his comments he was refering to the whole fanbase and not just the 20-30 year old morons who sit in the bleachers. Nevetheless, Sox fans would be irate at the old man if he tossed around these types of comments towards the the Sox fanbase. He crossed a line, just as the morons at Wrigley did...

DTCromer
04-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Here's a post from someone on Reds board tonight:

Did anyone hear the exchange between Marty and the Cowboy tonight? It was somewhere around the fifth inning. It went something like this (Marty had just accidently called the Florida Gators the Florida Seminoles):

Marty: I won't apologize to the Cubs fans, but I will apologize to the Florida Gator fans.
Jeff: The Cubs fans will get over it.
Marty: No they won't.
Jeff: They never got over that billy goat (started making goat sounds).

Ziggy S
04-18-2008, 09:47 PM
One day one of these idiots is going to hit a Cub player doing this.

A now former Scrub already got hit by a thrown by, Jaqcue (sp?) Jones. What, you don't remember? That wouldn't be because the Chicago Sports Media, especially the SCRUBUNE buried now, would it?

Whitesox029
04-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm glad someone in the public eye finally said what real Sox fans like us already know about Cubs fans, and thus, why we resent them so much.
In his defense regarding the stuff about the team, I think he meant for that to sting the fans even more, rather than for it to be a direct jab at the organization. The main point is that their fans blame a ****ing goat instead of crappy baseball, and they're rewarded with national attention in the same way the Red Cubs were rewarded for all the "Curse of the Bambino" crap. Meanwhile, we Sox fans went 88 years without winning, and placed the blame exactly where it belonged. Of course, when we finally won, there was no "broken curse," and therefore no story.

LongLiveFisk
04-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Dig the shirt..

Now that is some funny ****. :roflmao:

chisoxfanatic
04-18-2008, 11:43 PM
The bitterness of Cubs' fans is growing and growing and I LOVE IT!

It rapidly increased after the Bartman incident, and it exponentially increased when we won the World Series in 2005. I think it still drives them crazy that they have to deal with that huge drought while we don't! :D:

Over By There
04-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Go to http://tinyurl.com/6568dq if you want to see what the charming Cub wiki vandals posted before sanity was restored.

Jim Morrissey on CTL today ever-so-gingerly proposed that Cub/Trib management (is there a difference?) should take this opportunity to try tone down the behavior in the bleachers. That'll be the day. :rolleyes:

If the Cubs' fan base ever was special, it was because they had good-natured people who supported their team against all reason (sort of like Sox fans pre-WS05, but with a large dose of North Side idiocy in place of the South Side cynicism). Those days are long over, IMO, and the mean spiritedness that prevails now at Wrigley is an embarrassment that Brennaman was right to point out. I honestly feel sorry for the good Cub fans who have to endure what that place has become.

While we're pointing fingers, all of us Sox fans would also do well to think about whether our own behavior skirts close to what's become routine at Wrigley. Morrissey actually gave us a left-handed compliment by saying the USCF atmosphere has improved a lot since the team (and maybe fans) made adjustments after certain incidents-that-shall-remain-nameless. The more different we are from that ****hole, the better, I say.

Vernam

Very good post.

cards press box
04-19-2008, 08:24 AM
It rapidly increased after the Bartman incident, and it exponentially increased when we won the World Series in 2005. I think it still drives them crazy that they have to deal with that huge drought while we don't! :D:

It's true. I know a Cub fan who, prior to 2005, insisted that the Sox were just another team, like Baltimore or San Diego. After the 2005 Series, he couldn't believe just how aggravated he was. I said to him "Wait a minute, weren't the Sox no different than the Orioles or the Padres?"

His reply -- "Evidently, I was wrong."

SoxandtheCityTee
04-19-2008, 09:09 AM
I have also noticed since 2005 this disconsolate tone underlying the perennial posturing of Cub fans. When a blusterer tells me this is their year I say, "Oh, I really hope so for your sake . . . if it happens you'll never forget it for the rest of your life." This last phrase is delivered with a small smile as I stare off wistfully into the middle distance for just a second. They shut up.

Wait till the appearance of the inevitable T-shirts and signs (Marty Brennaman Was Right, etc.) that will greet the Flubbie faithful around the league this summer. The TV camermen won't show them, but they'll be there. Fun times.

hsnterprize
04-19-2008, 10:06 AM
You know something...I really don't feel any sympathy for Cubs fans who are offended by Brenneman's comments. As far as I'm concerned, they couldn't have come fast enough. And like other posters have said, it's a real shame that real, legitimate Cubs fans have to be associated with the idiots and morons who do things like throw fake home run balls one the field, throw garbage on the field, and so on.

None of these "offended" Cubs fans gave two whits about us Sox fans when Ligue and the other knuckleheads ran the field to attack Tom Gamboa and the umpire. As far as the fans were concerned, it was only more fuel to their fire on why they thought they were better than us. And isn't it funny that the only "defenses" Cub fans and people in the media are giving is about how full their park is every day, and how "passionate" they are about what's going on on the field? Like Brenneman said, it doesn't matter how many fans the Cubs have...the team hasn't done squat in the past 100 years. In that same time span, the Reds have made it to 9...count 'em, 9 World Series, and have won 5 on them (1919-Win vs. White Sox, 1939-Loss vs. N.Y. Yankees, 1940-Win vs. Detroit, 1961-Loss vs. N.Y. Yankees, 1970-Loss vs. Baltimore, 1972-Loss vs. Oakland, 1975-Win vs. Boston, 1976-Win vs. N.Y. Yankees, 1990-Win vs. Oakland).

It really makes me sick on how idiotic Cubs fans keep bragging on how many fans they have, or how their ballpark is filled up every day, or whatever "Cub-dumb" they choose to bring on everyone else...as if to say they're better than everyone else because of who they cheer for. As much as we can't stand Red Sox and Yankees fans, I'll be more than glad to give them their due because when it comes down to it...those teams have won championships in recent memory. Granted, the Red Sox played that "curse" game for way too long until 2004, but at least the "Red Sox Nation's" swagges is somewhat legitimately earned. The Cub fans' arrogance is only because of marketing, hype, and a whole bunch of other stuff that ain't worth the paper the hype's printed on.

The next time the Reds come to U.S. Cellular Field, let's give Marty a well-deserved standing ovation. It's about time he and other broadcasters set the story straight about those knuckleheads on the north side. And the sad truth is...there are a lot of Cubs fans who would applaud Marty for speaking out like that as well, but are being shouted down by all the "Chads" and "Trixies" who call Wrigley Field their "frat-home away from home".

bryPt
04-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Wait till the appearance of the inevitable T-shirts and signs (Marty Brennaman Was Right, etc.) that will greet the Flubbie faithful around the league this summer. The TV camermen won't show them, but they'll be there. Fun times.

SoxandtheCityTee, I swear we were thinking the same thing. Last night, I was playing around with a Cafepress shop I had from a long time ago and came up with this:

http://www.cafepress.com/martyisright

I was going to do it as a joke, but heck, if someone wants to buy one...

Mods, if I am crossing the line with this post, please remove. Don't want to cause any problems.

NADA SURF
04-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Just wait until the Sox beat Arizona in the 2008 World Series....they won't be able to handle it and could try to burn down the city...Be aware out there.It rapidly increased after the Bartman incident, and it exponentially increased when we won the World Series in 2005. I think it still drives them crazy that they have to deal with that huge drought while we don't! :D:

turners56
04-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Finally, somebody told the truth about 70% of the Cubs fandom, Marty Brennaman I solute you for your guts and your honesty.

Marqhead
04-19-2008, 09:32 PM
The wikipedia article is still very much alive.

, during the top of the eighth inning of a game between the Chicago Cubs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cubs) and the Cincinnati Reds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Reds) at Wrigley Field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_Field) in Chicago, Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago%2C_Illinois), Brennaman made comments about Cubs fans and the Cubs team.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Brennaman#cite_note-1) His statements were aired over the Reds Radio Network broadcast of the game on 700 WLW (AM) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLW). He would later admit to being to a total douche and the only reason he said that was because he knew that only 7 people listen to the reds. He knew the only way any one would talk about the Reds was if he did something stupid like this.

pierzynski07
04-19-2008, 10:43 PM
"Like Brenneman said, it doesn't matter how many fans the Cubs have...the team hasn't done squat in the past 100 years. In that same time span, the Reds have made it to 9...count 'em, 9 World Series"

:scratch: Says here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cubs) they made it to 7, count 'em, 7 World Series in that time span.

jabrch
04-19-2008, 11:12 PM
The wikipedia article is still very much alive.

, during the top of the eighth inning of a game between the Chicago Cubs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cubs) and the Cincinnati Reds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Reds) at Wrigley Field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_Field) in Chicago, Illinois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago%2C_Illinois), Brennaman made comments about Cubs fans and the Cubs team.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Brennaman#cite_note-1) His statements were aired over the Reds Radio Network broadcast of the game on 700 WLW (AM) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLW). He would later admit to being to a total douche and the only reason he said that was because he knew that only 7 people listen to the reds. He knew the only way any one would talk about the Reds was if he did something stupid like this.

It still says

His son, Thom Brennaman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thom_Brennaman), is a douche as well.

Amazing the crap people do.

jabrch
04-19-2008, 11:18 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Marty_Brennaman&action=history

Take a look at some of the versions that have been undone...

whitesoxfan
04-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Apparently, Brennaman and Jeff Brantley got into a real heated argument during the Reds-Brewers game today. Marty even left the booth because Brantley disagreed with him.

jabrch
04-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Apparently, Brennaman and Jeff Brantley got into a real heated argument during the Reds-Brewers game today. Marty even left the booth because Brantley disagreed with him.

Over what?

JB98
04-20-2008, 12:20 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Marty_Brennaman&action=history

Take a look at some of the versions that have been undone...

I'll be defending Brennaman in my weekly column this week for the paper, so hopefully Cubs fans will talk about what a "douche" I am as well. :rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
04-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Over what?Brantley argued that the greased-back mullet was "in" again.

NADA SURF
04-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Brennaman always thought he was bigger than the game...He'd have never made it in Chicago had he started here...Apparently, Brennaman and Jeff Brantley got into a real heated argument during the Reds-Brewers game today. Marty even left the booth because Brantley disagreed with him.

NADA SURF
04-20-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm here here...which paper are you with?I'll be defending Brennaman in my weekly column this week for the paper, so hopefully Cubs fans will talk about what a "douche" I am as well. :rolleyes:

TDog
04-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Brennaman always thought he was bigger than the game...He'd have never made it in Chicago had he started here...

Of course not. No Cubs announcer ever thought they were bigger than the game, say worthy of being remembered with a statue years before the team would put up a statue to honor the most beloved player in the team's history.

ksimpson14
04-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Reading through the Reds' ESPN board, one account had Brantley disagreeing with Marty on whether a pitch was a ball or a strike, which was followed by f bombs by Marty in the background, being mad about being shown up

whitesoxfan
04-20-2008, 02:58 AM
Over what?

Brennaman thought a called strike was a ball in which Brantley said, "No it was a strike." Brennaman completely flipped out at Brantley and left the booth.

I'm sure this will be making its rounds to an audio clip or a Youtube video near you.

bigfoot
04-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Brennaman thought a called strike was a ball in which Brantley said, "No it was a strike." Brennaman completely flipped out at Brantley and left the booth.

I'm sure this will be making its rounds to an audio clip or a Youtube video near you.

We all know that, from his BBTN term, that Brantley is always right and never wrong.

We also know that the Marty "wiki" post was not made by a WSI Sox fan, evidenced by the lack of proper usage of "teal"!

bryPt
04-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Over at Fan Nation at si.com, there is a little chat going on about Marty. I saw about 20 different cub fans throw out this line to get back at White Sox fans:

"You are just jealous because the cub fan base is bigger and we have a better attendance record than you."

Is this what it has come down to? More fans, and not championships? Do they give a trophy to the cub every year because they won the attendance record in Chicago? Do the players shower themselves in champagne during the 7th inning when the P.A. announcer gives the total attendance on the last home game of the year? Do they have a ticker tape parade up in Wrigleyville? Where are all the flags at the urinal that proudly proclaims they won yet another attendance championship? And where is that wing at Cooperstown, do they send the ticket stubs from the last game there?

And there you go, I always thought the goal in baseball was the win a World Series? Silly me.

I hear cub fans say this all the time and I believe there is no other statement that shows how truly stupid their fanbase is.

SoxGirl4Life
04-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Over at Fan Nation at si.com, there is a little chat going on about Marty. I saw about 20 different cub fans throw out this line to get back at White Sox fans:

"You are just jealous because the cub fan base is bigger and we have a better attendance record than you."

Is this what it has come down to? More fans, and not championships? Do they give a trophy to the cub every year because they won the attendance record in Chicago? Do the players shower themselves in champagne during the 7th inning when the P.A. announcer gives the total attendance on the last home game of the year? Do they have a ticker tape parade up in Wrigleyville? Where are all the flags at the urinal that proudly proclaims they won yet another attendance championship? And where is that wing at Cooperstown, do they send the ticket stubs from the last game there?

And there you go, I always thought the goal in baseball was the win a World Series? Silly me.

I hear cub fans say this all the time and I believe there is no other statement that shows how truly stupid their fanbase is.

I don't feel like going over there, but are there Sox fans stirring it up? I mean, why are we being dragged into something the Reds announcer said?

bigfoot
04-20-2008, 09:54 AM

My standard reply to such blather is....."That IS why McDonald's makes the best hamburger in the world."?

pierzynski07
04-20-2008, 10:50 AM
They took it out of Gameday Audio. :(: Around the 17:30 mark, after Brantly says "Strike", there's a noticable cut.

JB98
04-20-2008, 12:53 PM
I think it's really, really funny that Cubs fans believe others are jealous of them.

That's just rich. That attitude reminds me of the so-called "popular kids" in high school. Most of us have moved on into adulthood now.

chisoxfanatic
04-20-2008, 01:33 PM
I'll be defending Brennaman in my weekly column this week for the paper, so hopefully Cubs fans will talk about what a "douche" I am as well. :rolleyes:

Will you have a link to your article once it's written?

JB98
04-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Will you have a link to your article once it's written?

It's not very long, part of a weekly "short takes" column. I should get plenty of hate mail, since I am criticizing both Brian Urlacher and Cubs fans this week. :D:

Article should appear on my blog around 7 p.m. tonight.

http://blogs.suburbanchicagonews.com/bauman/

chisoxfanatic
04-20-2008, 04:48 PM
It's not very long, part of a weekly "short takes" column. I should get plenty of hate mail, since I am criticizing both Brian Urlacher and Cubs fans this week. :D:

As a big Urlacher supporter, you shall expect some hate mail from me! :cool:

I'm looking forward to reading it...

hsnterprize
04-20-2008, 04:52 PM
"Like Brenneman said, it doesn't matter how many fans the Cubs have...the team hasn't done squat in the past 100 years. In that same time span, the Reds have made it to 9...count 'em, 9 World Series"

:scratch: Says here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Cubs) they made it to 7, count 'em, 7 World Series in that time span.

Well...I checked out the Baseball-Reference page, and it is true...the Cubs have appeared in 7 World Series since winning it all in 1908. So I guest I somewhat misspoke in my original quote. However, all the other information I typed in was correct...the Reds have been to 9 World Series since 1908, and have won 5 of them, with their most recent win being in 1990 against a heavily-favored Oakland team.

Still...no WS wins in 100 years is no reason to brag. People can't hide behind the "our ballpark is alway full" argument without people exposing it for the scum it is.

pierzynski07
04-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Well...I checked out the Baseball-Reference page, and it is true...the Cubs have appeared in 7 World Series since winning it all in 1908. So I guest I somewhat misspoke in my original quote. However, all the other information I typed in was correct...the Reds have been to 9 World Series since 1908, and have won 5 of them, with their most recent win being in 1990 against a heavily-favored Oakland team.

Still...no WS wins in 100 years is no reason to brag. People can't hide behind the "our ballpark is alway full" argument without people exposing it for the scum it is.
Oh I agree with everything else. But the "nothing in 100 years" is sort of inaccurate. Winning the pennant is still an accomplishment for most teams (sans Yankees).

Hokiesox
04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Just wait until the Sox beat Arizona in the 2008 World Series....they won't be able to handle it and could try to burn down the city...Be aware out there.

Hell, if Arizona made the series, Cubs fans would burn the city down. That'd be 2 series for 2 of the 1990s expansion teams, and still 0 for the Cubs,.

DTCromer
04-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Reading through the Reds' ESPN board, one account had Brantley disagreeing with Marty on whether a pitch was a ball or a strike, which was followed by f bombs by Marty in the background, being mad about being shown up

He wasn't arguing with Brantley. He was pissed off at the Reds PR person in the background. Apparently, Marty found out from Dusty first-hand that Josh Fogg was being sent to the bullpen and Matt Belisle was being called up and announced it on-the-air. The Reds PR guy came running in because he hadn't heard it yet and was getting upset at Marty.

The argument had nothing to do with Brantley.

DTCromer
04-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Brennaman always thought he was bigger than the game...He'd have never made it in Chicago had he started here...

WRONG! Marty hadn't shown his condescending tone up until a few years ago. I agree he's starting to act a bit arrogant (and I personally have no problem with that), but after listening to him my whole life, he never had his condescending tone up until the last few years.