PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs. Brewers - May 8, 1984

AZChiSoxFan
04-18-2008, 10:12 AM
The game last night between the Rockies and Padres got me thinking about the game between the Sox and Brewers on 05/08/84. The Sox won, 7-6 in 25 innnings. Is there anyone here at WSI who attended that game? If so, I would love to get your memories and reflections on that game. Anyone remember watching the game? IIRC, the AL at that time had a 1:00 AM curfew and the game was completed the next day.

BTW, here's the boxscore from the game:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=198405080CHA

It's always been a dream of mine (my friends and family say a sick dream) to attend a game that goes 20 innings or more.

skottyj242
04-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I did the 19 inning game against Boston in 2006.

stl_sox_fan
04-18-2008, 10:30 AM
The game last night between the Rockies and Padres got me thinking about the game between the Sox and Brewers on 05/08/84. The Sox won, 7-6 in 25 innnings. Is there anyone here at WSI who attended that game? If so, I would love to get your memories and reflections on that game. Anyone remember watching the game? IIRC, the AL at that time had a 1:00 AM curfew and the game was completed the next day.

It's always been a dream of mine (my friends and family say a sick dream) to attend a game that goes 20 innings or more.

Baines really phoned it in that day going 2 for 10.
That is so weird seeing that many players having double digit ABs for that game. Fisk caught the whole game? That's impressive.
Darnit, I just reread it where they finished the game the next day...

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 10:33 AM

I wasn't there, but I do remember the game being carried over. And I remember being grateful that after all that, the Sox won.

wilburaga
04-18-2008, 10:51 AM
My first child (daughter) was born during that game.

Probably the best career games for Fallon, Jones, and Agosto.

W

kjhanson
04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Baines really phoned it in that day going 2 for 10.
That is so weird seeing that many players having double digit ABs for that game. Fisk caught the whole game? That's impressive.

I love how Wimpy gets in the game to replace Kittle (I have no clue how; this game was exactly 10 months before I was born) and ends up going 5 for 9. Not sure if another pinch-hitter has ever stayed in and then recorded 5 hits.

kobo
04-18-2008, 11:19 AM

My Dad was at this game.

roylestillman
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I was there (and if I ever learn how to insert an image I'd show you the stub ($5.50 for a "Terrace" seat in the old park)) Beer sales ended in the 7th and concessions pretty much ended shortly thereafter (about 10:30) My buddy and I were hungry and thirsty by the time curfew rolled around. I'm fairly sure curfew was 2:00 in the American League back then. We stayed until the end of the first night, but I couldn't make it back the next day for the conclusion.
Edit: I looked it up play was suspended at 1:05 AM the first night.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2008, 01:13 PM
A few things:

Here's Tom talking about that game in his WSI Interview:

ML: Of course one game that does stand out was the 25 inning game with Milwaukee on May 8th and 9th. It’s the longest game time wise (Author’s Note: 8:06) in MLB history. You had five hits in the game won on a home run by Harold Baines. What’s it like playing in a game that long?

TP: “I guess it turned out that was the high point of the season. I certainly remember that game because I didn’t start it yet still had five hits. I was actually eating pizza in the umpires dressing room when one of the clubhouse guys told me I had to go in the game for Ron Kittle. Kitty came down with a migraine. I asked the guy when I was needed and he said something like ‘you’re up next!’ I flew into the dugout and had pizza sauce all over my uniform top. I struck out on three pitches and remember thinking, ‘hell, Kittle could have done that!’

----------

And everybody missed the fact that on this night the Sox Tom Seaver WON both games that were played. The conclusion of the suspended game and the originally slated one!

May 9, 1984- Harold Baines ends the longest game, inning wise in American League history blasting a home run in the 25th inning to give the Sox a 7 - 6 win over Milwaukee. The 8:06 length of the game set a Major League record. Tom Seaver got the win in relief in the marathon contest which started on May 8th and was suspended, then came back and won the regularly scheduled game later that same evening when the Sox won 5 - 4. For the night Seaver threw 9 1/3 rd innings allowing only four hits!

Lip

thomas35forever
04-18-2008, 03:05 PM
My Dad was at this game.
So was mine.

TDog
04-18-2008, 06:47 PM
I didn't go to the game or watch it on television.

I did, however, read "The Iowa Baseball Confederacy."

Bucky F. Dent
04-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Seven innings for Juan Agosto. That has to be the most innings he ever pitched in a single outing in the majors.