PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Mama said there would be days like this- Postgame thread

thomas35forever
04-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Can this loss be distributed among Logan, Jenks, PK, and AJ? Gavin didn't deserve this.:angry::angry:

Jurr
Dammit, defense and 'pen.

Madvora
I ****ing hate walks!

JB98
04-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Bad game tonight. Horrible defense and **** relief pitching.

Bounce back and get the win tomorrow.

JoeClutch24
Settle the hell down everyone it's one of 162

Corlose 15
Well, let's see. 3 unearned runs and ****ty bullpen pitching?

Yep, seems like the recipe for blowing a game you lead the whole ****ing night.

Dub25
Well that sucked. Maybe next time AJ won't pull Paulie off the bag to keep an inning going.

itsnotrequired
Can this loss be distributed among Logan, Jenks, PK, and AJ? Gavin didn't deserve this.:angry::angry:

Get real...

WizardsofOzzie
This thread should be amusing

ChicagoHoosier
04-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Must... breathe... and realize it's 1/162. There will be more losses like this. Hopefully the W's outweigh them.

Doesn't make it hurt any less.

HangWiffum
jenks should have been unavailable for tonight imo. and i still don't know why thornton was only in there for 1 batter in the 7th. oh well, go get em next game!

oeo
Before everyone jumps off the ledge...these games happen. They happen to every team, and they happen every year. The Sox just can't make a habit of it like they did last year.

Another game that's tough to swallow, but it's how they come out tomorrow that will show us what they're made of.

Chicken Dinner
Every time somebody posts a " do we have the best **** ever, we suck! :angry:

Madvora
Let's be happy about this loss instead.

No one is going overboard yet, we're like 5 posts into the thread. It's time to vent a little after this one.

LoveYourSuit
Unreal.

3-4 hitters better damn wake up soon.

You can't pitch Bobby every night.

Put the foot on the throat and close a game without the closer.

:angry:

Rocky Soprano
Some "fans" really need to get a life. It's one freaking game. There will be bad games, its part of baseball.

It's Dankerific
*** did Gavin do to everyone but TCQ and Joe? Pee in Dye's Gatorade? that ninth inning trot to the "double" was sick.

kevingrt

You can't be mad when a sure W gets away?

Navarro's Talent
Tough loss.

Let's just hope they can bounce back in Tampa. Jenks isn't perfect.

itsnotrequired
Yep, seems like the recipe for blowing a game you lead the whole ****ing night.

Except when Baltimore tied it in the 6th.

BeviBall!
Dye = lollygagger.

mccoydp
04-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Sox can't win 'em all. Bobby won't save 'em all either. Oh well.

Next game!

itsnotrequired
You can't be mad when a sure W gets away?

What the hell is a "sure win"?

LoveYourSuit
This thread should be amusing

I don't find comedy in a Sox loss.

Maybe you do.

JermaineDye05
Damn that Hunter Wendelstedt!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Defense just let us down tonight. The O's completely own Bobby. Could we have a rule in the gamethread for people to not make a ruling on the game in the 7th or 8th, before Bobby has made it to the mound. Can't tell you how much I hate that.

hi im skot
04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Believe it or not, the Sox lost a few games like this in...2005. It sucks to lose this one, but don't lose any sleep over it.

Oh, and Boone Logan still sucks.

santo=dorf
Boone Logan pitching performance netting him the loss = Lip acting like http://lostinjapan.groth.hm/wp-content/thumb-ShiningBijl1.jpg

kevingrt

Good call. I guess one where you are in the lead going into the 9th? I don't know I just think people should be allowed to be angered after a loss.

We can always get the Rays tomorrow though. No more devil in that Tampa team.

Dub25
jenks should have been unavailable for tonight imo. and i still don't know why thornton was only in there for 1 batter in the 7th. oh well, go get em next game!

I really agree with you on the Thornton move.

Madvora
04-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Jenks gave up the runs by getting hit... that I can take.
Logan gave up the run because of walks... that I can't take.

hi im skot
Some "fans" really need to get a life. It's one freaking game. There will be bad games, its part of baseball.

Rationality is so overrated.

Glad some of us are keeping cool heads.

Jurr
Before everyone jumps off the ledge...these games happen. They happen to every team, and they happen every year. The Sox just can't make a habit of it like they did last year.

Another game that's tough to swallow, but it's how they come out tomorrow that will show us what they're made of.
That's why I picked the title. These days happen. Totally in the realm of possibility in a 162 game season. Hopefully there will be more games where the Sox snatch victory from the jaws of defeat than vice versa. They were all happy and jolly, thinking they would cruise to a victory. Here's a little wake up call. Hope it hurts 'em all night long. Now, go to Tampa and play an entire 9 innings. Multiply it by 3. Leave Tampa with a division lead.

Dub25
Unreal.

3-4 hitters better damn wake up soon.

You can't pitch Bobby every night.

Put the foot on the throat and close a game without the closer.

:angry:

Another good point

oeo

Part of the reason is, we saw this happen many times last year.

But people need to stop trying to find comparisons between 2008 and 2007. Or 2008 and 2005. Or 2008 and 2006. They're different teams, they're going to do things differently.

We still don't know what to expect from this team after bad losses. Last year, they would come out terrible. 2005, they'd bounce right back. 2008...we'll have to see.

kevingrt
Oh, and Boone Logan still sucks.

Chances Ehren can pitch sub from the right and left side of the mound?

JoeClutch24
04-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Let's be happy about this loss instead.

No one is going overboard yet, we're like 5 posts into the thread. It's time to vent a little after this one.

Should of saw the game thread then

cbotnyse
I thought we had that one, that sucked.

Madvora
Enough with the insinuations of people who are upset after a loss not being fans. Give me a break with that **** already.

hi im skot
Chances Ehren can pitch sub from the right and left side of the mound?

Ehren Wassermann is TUFF.

manders_01
04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Dye = lollygagger.

:?: The past two games he's hustled after two balls that gave him grass stains and barely missed one of them. Granted, all I've seen are the in game highlights on gameday but I would never tag JD as a lollygagger.

cheezheadsoxfan
They were all happy and jolly, thinking they would cruise to a victory. Here's a little wake up call. Hope it hurts 'em all night long. .

Think you hit it on the head.

Tragg
3 days in a row too often is going to wear on Jenks
Seemed like a sloppy game. We dominated it but made some silly mistakes...Konerko's error looked particularly poor on the highlights.

I don't know what happened to Logan.

As for Floyd, he didn't get the loss. You aren't going to win anywhere near all the games in which you pitch well. Just have to shake this garb off.

BeviBall!
04-17-2008, 10:35 PM
:?: The past two games he's hustled after two balls that gave him grass stains and barely missed one of them. Granted, all I've seen are the in game highlights on gameday but I would never tag JD as a lollygagger.

You catch that "double" by Roberts in the 9th? JD didn't.

RockJock07
Well that sucked. Maybe next time AJ won't pull Paulie off the bag to keep an inning going.

Yeah, AJ has been good of late, but Paulie looks bad, even thought he hit a grand slam a few days ago, he just looks bad, the scouting report on him is throw changeups down and away and he'll chase.

Bobby and Boone were throwing trash, bad loss, but gavin pitched well, the thread is titled well, but tomorrow is tomorrow, they'll bounce back, both bobby and boone have been lights out, so they'll be fine.

JermaineDye05

yeah I think some "fans" forget the teams we should really be worrying about are struggling way more then us and appear to have a lot more holes. Look at the positives, Gavin had another good outing ERA at 1.40 I believe. I'll take that from the 5th starter any day. The defense had an off day and we know that's not going to happen all the time. Bobby blew a save to a team that completely owns him, it's gonna happen from time to time. Aside from Boone's performance tonight, the bullpen did it's job pretty well. We lost a tough one, what else can you do except say oh **** and go get em tomorrow.

Corlose 15
Except when Baltimore tied it in the 6th.

And it stayed tied for about 3 pitches.

Functionally its the same thing.

HITMEN OF 77
...............Splat! Oh well, its 1 game. Lets go sweep this weekend.

It's Dankerific
04-17-2008, 10:36 PM

Did you see him walk to the ball that became a double for roberts that then became the tying run? if roberts is on first, maybe we get out of that inning with a W

Brian26
The great thing about listening to Hawk is his subtle ways of letting the viewer know that he's pissed at someone. Tonight the recipient was Boone Logan.

:hawk

"He had a cookie there."

"Another ball out over the plate."

"A hanger and Aubrey Huff just missed it."

"He's had two good pitches to hit here and has missed both of them."

"A cookie and he got away with it."

"Adam Jones hits a hanging breaking ball and the Orioles win."

chisoxmike
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z70/Chips347/sadbanana.gif

Win tomorrow.

WhiteSox5187
Oh, I foresee EPIC things for this thread.

Tonight's loss hurt, but there are going to be losses like this. Really you shouldn't give up three unearned runs and expect to win, that's just handing the other team victory. But oh well. Let's not make this a habit and go out there and take two out of three from Tampa.

kevingrt
I don't understand why some people here are getting on people for being angered after this loss. We had a 5-3 lead going into the 9th. Teams should win these games. When they give them up it is incredibly frustrating especially when three of the runs are unearned. And then they (Boone) just walk your way to Tampa in the 9th. Now why can't we be angry about that?

I don't think anyone is jumping off a ledge on this thread. We are just a little peeved. It's not like we are saying Jenks is the second coming of Billy Koch or Thome and PK should be traded (I believe there are other threads on that). We are just a little angry the Sox let this one get away.

Let us vent please.

SluggersAway
The errors hurt us today. A statistical anomaly, but they happen.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

Go get the Rays tomorrow!

hi im skot
04-17-2008, 10:37 PM
yeah I think some "fans" forget the teams we should really be worrying about are struggling way more then us and appear to have a lot more holes. Look at the positives, Gavin had another good outing ERA at 1.40 I believe. I'll take that from the 5th starter any day. The defense had an off day and we know that's not going to happen all the time. Bobby blew a save to a team that completely owns him, it's gonna happen from time to time. Aside from Boone's performance tonight, the bullpen did it's job pretty well. We lost a tough one, what else can you do except say oh **** and go get em tomorrow.

http://kikidesign.hautetfort.com/files/Applause.gif

oeo
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z70/Chips347/sadbanana.gif

Oh ****, the Sox pissed off the banana...now I'm angry. :angry:

sox1970
I'm not going to read this thread. Every team is going to lose **** games like this. The key is how they respond. If they win 2 in Tampa this weekend, all is ok.

kevingrt

shouldn't we really only worry about our team? at least until august?

BeviBall!
04-17-2008, 10:38 PM
The great thing about listening to Hawk is his subtle ways of letting the viewer know that he's pissed at someone. Tonight the recipient was Boone Logan.

"He had a cookie there."

"Another ball out over the plate."

"A hanger and Aubrey Huff just missed it."

"He's had two good pitches to hit here and has missed both of them."

"A cookie and he got away with it."

"Adam Jones hits a hanging breaking ball and the Orioles win."

My favorite occurrence of this was Gload in 2006, on a warning track out. "Well, maybe that's gone in Charlotte."

thomas35forever
:roflmao:

hawkjt
Ok, Boone just did not have it tonite, but he has been very good so he was due. You cannot deny that Marsh must have dinner reservations on about 3 pitches vs Boone.
Very painful, no denying it. Gavins outing was hugely encouraging,he looks like he is pinpoint at times. Long haul, that is bigger than one loss, and Bobby looked a foot short tonite... I think Ozzie played it right tho. Now, we get to see someone else close tomorrow nite,maybe.. Thornton,maybe.

We still are not a contact hitting team and so our average seems to sink every day,but Carlos and Joe made up for it. 5 runs should be enough..and it was ,lets face it- the bad bounce on Pk was bad luck, and AJ's was just a freaky play really. Just not the sox's nite. Beat the Rays.

Jurr
04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Some of these "fans" couldn't tell you who Billy Koch was, much less recall how bad he was. We're blessed to have Bobby Jenks blowing one save out of a ton.
The team put it on cruise control and forgot that you have to play 9 innings, not 7. The bottom 7, 8, 9, and 10 innings were all destined for problems. It caught up. Hopefully they get pissed on the plane trip to Tampa and learn from it.

Domeshot17
I know this would be a huge blow to his EGO, but JD has no business in the game during the 8th and 9th innings when we are leading. I hate to say one play COST us a game, but if he doesn't get confused on a routine single and single handedly turn it into a double, we might have won tonight.

It is just one game, and what could go wrong did (started with Crede ole'ing the Millar ball in the 5th, and Dye in the 9th, and the Ump squeezing Boone etc) but we can't be this sloppy. Good teams find ways to win, not lose. I don't want to say any game this early is a MUST win, but tomorrow is as close to one as it gets because we need to rebound and the set the tone to win and keep winning until we get back home.

stl_sox_fan
Well there goes the season.

Seriously though, that stunk. Paused it in the 8th expecting to come back to catch another Jenks save. Meh, it happens. Another sweet outing by Floyd. Liking that.
Man, Uribe is looking more lost at the plate. Got the Baltimore broadcast and they mentioned he looks like a corkscrew when he swings. That changeup that he thought was a fastball....eek.
Go get THE Rays tomorrow.

JB98
04-17-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm not going to read this thread. Every team is going to lose **** games like this. The key is how they respond. If they win 2 in Tampa this weekend, all is ok.

Bingo. Every team in baseball blows games. It's not a big deal, as long as you bounce back and win the next ballgame.

Get a quality start from Javy tomorrow, win and all these worriers will be back with their ****ing dancing bananas tomorrow.

drewcifer
04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Well there goes the season.

Seriously though, that stunk. Paused it in the 8th expecting to come back to catch another Jenks save. Meh, it happens. Another sweet outing by Floyd. Liking that.
Man, Uribe is looking more lost at the plate. Got the Baltimore broadcast and they mentioned he looks like a corkscrew when he swings. That changeup that he thought was a fastball....eek.
Go get THE Rays tomorrow.

I could care less if I ever see Uribe again. On a side note, I'm enjoying the taste of **** sandwiches served by Joe Crede and Scott Boras.

ChiSoxGirl
Unfortunately, I think this is one of those "other 42" that went in the wrong direction. :(: Mellow out, folks... this is the first one like this in '08. Last year, we'd had like two or three of these games by now. :tongue:

kevingrt
I know this would be a huge blow to his EGO, but JD has no business in the game during the 8th and 9th innings when we are leading. I hate to say one play COST us a game, but if he doesn't get confused on a routine single and single handedly turn it into a double, we might have won tonight.

It is just one game, and what could go wrong did (started with Crede ole'ing the Millar ball in the 5th, and Dye in the 9th, and the Ump squeezing Boone etc) but we can't be this sloppy. Good teams find ways to win, not lose. I don't want to say any game this early is a MUST win, but tomorrow is as close to one as it gets because we need to rebound and the set the tone to win and keep winning until we get back home.

I like your point on making a defensive sub for JD in the late innings. But who would we put in? Brian in CF and Swish in RF. Or Quentin in RF, Swish in LF, and BA in CF. I guess there are possibilities but who is our best defensive RF?

LoveYourSuit
For as many insane people like me who get all burned up with a tough loss like this one, I find it odd that there are 20 other posters who take a tough loss so lightly. Doesn't make neither of us bigger or lesser fans.

I'm wondering if WSI hires priests to come in here and talk us all off the ledge imediately after the last pitch is thrown.

JoeClutch24

ROFL

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Well unlike the past few years it took two weeks before they blew a game.

Tough, tough loss, you have this one in the win column and "poof" it disappears.

Something about the Orioles and Jenks...they get him every year. They did it twice last season.

Now we'll see how they react. last year they'd take it with them into the next game.

Lip

Jurr
Bingo. Every team in baseball blows games. It's not a big deal, as long as you bounce back and win the next ballgame.

Get a quality start from Javy tomorrow, win and all these worriers will be back with their ****ing dancing bananas tomorrow.
Beautifully put. Way to add some perspective.

KyWhiSoxFan
I don't know where to find these stats to support or debunk this theory (if someone can post, please do) .... but I think Jenks loses his effectiveness when he pitches three days in a row. By the seventh inning I was hoping Ozzie had a plan to get someone other than Jenks pitching the 9th. That's why I was a bit perplexed to see Thornton only pitch to one batter in the 7th with a two-run lead. He needed to pitch the 7th, Dotel the 8th, and Linebrink the 9th.

Corlose 15
04-17-2008, 10:43 PM

I haven't seen one post where someone has gone off the ledge. Why are so many people being sensitive in this thread?

The Sox should have won this game. They blew it. Some "fans" :rolleyes: are pissed off about it. The nerve.

People need to stop turning this into something that it isn't.

Oh, and I would add Jenks to the list of relievers who didn't do their job.

chisoxfanatic
Well, that one sucked; but, they're still 9-6 here. I give Floyd and Quentin special props. They're both hard-working players, and we're lucky to have them on our team.

We'll get Tampa at the juice box tomorrow night.

JoeClutch24
It could be worse, C.C. Sabathia looks worse than Jose did last year

JermaineDye05
04-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Karl Ravech just said if the voting were today, Manny Ramirez would be the MVP of the AL.

:crede

Ahem..

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately, I think this is one of those "other 42" that went in the wrong direction. :(: Mellow out, folks... this is the first one like this in '08. Last year, we'd had like two or three of these games by now. :tongue:
I think the worry amongst some posters here is the fear that we revert to our losing ways and wind up dropping a couple more like this in the next couple of games...I'll be honest, that thought does linger in the back of my head but a good game tommorrow against Tampa and that thought will be gone...until the next game like this one!!

But having said that, even the great teams have games that get away from them like this one.

LoveYourSuit
Bill Melton is not a Sox fan because he just dogged Uribe's .200 OBP%

kevingrt
I haven't seen one post where someone has gone off the ledge. Why are so many people being sensitive in this thread?

The Sox should have won this game. They blew it. Some "fans" :rolleyes: are pissed off about it. The nerve.

Beautifully put.

JermaineDye05
04-17-2008, 10:46 PM

My post was more of a look at the positives as opposed to bashing HomeFish lol.

oeo
04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
I think the worry amongst some posters here is the fear that we revert to our losing ways and wind up dropping a couple more like this in the next couple of games...I'll be honest, that thought does linger in the back of my head but a good game tommorrow against Tampa and that thought will be gone...until the next game like this one!!

This team isn't the same as last year. There's no reason to think that they're going to come out and play like ****. So far, they've come out of losses and played well (with the exception of the opening series).

Tomorrow is the type of game that we learn what we're going to get from this squad.

Huisj
04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
For some reason, when the O's tied it up in the 9th, the first thing that popped into my head was this game: May 4, 1999 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL199905040.shtml)

The sox were up early, Sirotka left with a lead, the bullpen and defense allowed some unearned runs including 2 off the closer, Howry, and then all that was left to bring in was the great David Lundquist in the 10th in a 5-5 game. He loaded the bases and gave up a grand slam to Harold.

However, somehow that loss hurt less than this one since at least it was Baines who won the game.

Jurr
04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
For as many insane people like me who get all burned up with a tough loss like this one, I find it odd that there are 20 other posters who take a tough loss so lightly. Doesn't make neither of us bigger or lesser fans.

I'm wondering if WSI hires priests to come in here and talk us all off the ledge imediately after the last pitch is thrown.
Nah. Some of us have been around to share the agony of some really tough times as Sox fans. Foulke blowing saves, Koch blowing saves (one that really hurt the momentum after the Twins sweep/Alomar and Everett signings),
The Jamie Burke/Torii Hunter game, the 2007 season.
After almost 1/10 of a season and we run into a blown save. It's not the end of the world. On WSI we have seen 5th starters like Danny Wright and Felix Diaz. To have a 5th starter consistently put you in position to win is a BLESSING. THis is much more a blessing than the sting of a closer losing his cool for one time in a ton of opps or the offense/defense slipping up in a game.

We have perspective on this site. That's what makes it so beautiful.

ChiSoxGirl

Well-said! :cheers:

JoeClutch24
This team isn't the same as last year. There's no reason to think that they're going to come out and play like ****. So far, they've come out of losses and played well (with the exception of the opening series).

Tomorrow is the type of game that we learn what we're going to get from this squad.

The fact of the matter is though, is that 07 is still fresh in our minds and, just the thought of that pains all of us

Corlose 15
04-17-2008, 10:49 PM
My post was more of a look at the positives as opposed to bashing HomeFish lol.

There's nothing wrong with looking at the positives but a lot of posters use post game threads to vent and it gets annoying when people don't let them do that without questioning their fanhood.

sox1970
04-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Wassermann hasn't given up a hit in his 6 outings. Just sayin'.

RockJock07
04-17-2008, 10:50 PM
We are all fans, let's stop questioning other people passion for our team, it's just stupid, why the hell did we all join this website in the first place, to vent about our team. Please don't insult us by telling us to get off the ledge, I'm just sick of it. As someone has said, let us vent, that's what this whole site is for.

JoeClutch24
04-17-2008, 10:50 PM

LOL I love Wassermann

oeo
04-17-2008, 10:51 PM
The fact of the matter is though, is that 07 is still fresh in our minds and, just the thought of that pains all of us

And it's understood, but that comes back to comparing teams. We need to stop trying to compare year-to-year (that includes the posts about 2005), and instead just look at what we've got right now. New team, new year, and there will be a new result. Leave the bull**** comparisons to the media; they can have fun with all that crap, but it means nothing.

If this team has shown me anything this year, it's that they're not even close to that 2007 team.

LoveYourSuit
Here is my one positive post after this pile of crap today:

We all know Jenks is going to be ON 97% of the time, and he blew it today. He got one out of the way.

Going into the the season, the 7th and 8th inning were my biggest worry and that group has not blown anything yet.

If the middle of the pen would have blown it, then yes it feels much worse IMO because of the big questions there.

But the errors need to stop, 3 Unearned is not the makeup of a championship club.

Jurr
Why Macdougal is here and Wasserman's not baffles me. Righties batted .147 against him last year, and he didn't know his ******* from his elbow.

Dick Allen
All of the Orioles' runs except for the last one, came with two outs. It is aggravating when the pitcher can't get the clutch out. This is one of those losses that never should have been, we can only hope they keep them to a minimum this year. And our offense is still relying too much on the long ball.

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2008, 10:52 PM

I agree and like I said a win against Tampa tommorrow will make all of this disappear.

KyWhiSoxFan
04-17-2008, 10:52 PM

I was thinking the same thing, that the Sox can use him. When you can't bring in someone like MacDougal with a three-run lead and have to go to Linebrink and Jenks who had already pitched consecutive days, then that tells you all you need to know about MacDougal. I think Wasserman needs to be in the pen and the low guy on the totem pole sent packing.

AZChiSoxFan
04-17-2008, 10:53 PM

Rocky, great post. People get upset over a game like tonight. Why? Oh, I don't know. Maybe because if AJ makes a simple throw to first base, the Sox win the game. If getting mad over the way the Sox totally wet the bed tonight makes someone not a real fan, then I guess I'm in that boat.

I guess I'm the opposite of you. I can't understand how any "fan" couldn't be pulling their hair out after tonight's game.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Nah. Some of us have been around to share the agony of some really tough times as Sox fans. Foulke blowing saves, Koch blowing saves (one that really hurt the momentum after the Twins sweep/Alomar and Everett signings),
After almost 1/10 of a season and we run into a blown save. It's not the end of the world. On WSI we have seen 5th starters like Danny Wright and Felix Diaz. To have a 5th starter consistently put you in position to win is a BLESSING. THis is much more a blessing than the sting of a closer losing his cool for one time in a ton of opps or the offense/defense slipping up in a game.

Nicely put.

JoeClutch24
04-17-2008, 10:54 PM
And it's understood, but that comes back to comparing teams. We need to stop trying to compare year-to-year (that includes the posts about 2005), and instead just look at what we've got right now. New team, new year, and there will be a new result.

Well put, I hate doing that too. We do it all the time too. 2006 Bears to 85 Bears. the past 2 White Sox teams to 2005, for me it's that and comparing the current K.C. Chiefs team to 2003. New Year, Clean Slate, Kick *** that's the way it should be!

Oldfellah
04-17-2008, 10:55 PM
a win against Tampa tommorrow will make all of this disappear.

Hooah!!

HangWiffum
04-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Why Macdougal is here and Wasserman's not baffles me. Righties batted .147 against him last year, and he didn't know his ******* from his elbow.

and the reasoning that "he can't possibly be worse than last year" is just dumb.

SluggersAway
These kind of losses can be constructive and lead to better things as they sharpen their focus and make sure they keep their heads in it through the late innings. If they do not sail through the 7,8,9 and expect the W they will be sharp as a razor.

LoveYourSuit

Yup, I agree on that.

I just think this forum should be there for people to vent freely.

Rather than beating up the kids (as some people have done in the past, sad to say), this is the perfect alternative.

Just respect the venters, we will cool off by the next game.

Jurr
04-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Oeo's point about comparing teams makes me laugh, for this reason:
That team is spoken about in mythical terms now, but the bashing that went on throughout that season was legendary.
It got REALLY manic in September.
*edit* I was referring to '05.

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-17-2008, 10:59 PM
I couldnt wait to get home after I watched this game at my girlfriend's house....

I knew eventually AJ would have a bad night (defensively and offensively) and eventually Bobby would blow a save and eventually the bullpen wouldn't hold up and eventually the Sox would give up multiple unearned runs...it just sucks that it had to happen all on the same night....

Thome and Konerko really need to start acting like they deserve to be on the team....

Lets be thankful that we have an awesome bottom of the order...congrats to Carlos on cranking two out....

Im pissed and even though its one game...that is still no excuse for us blowing this game....

Take two outta three in Tampa Bay good guys!!!

SluggersAway
04-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I can't understand how any "fan" couldn't be pulling their hair out after tonight's game.

Really? Pulling your hair out over one baseball game loss in a 162 game season? I would think that "fan" should be institutionalized not considered the norm.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 11:02 PM
The AP story on this confirms what I thought in an earlier post. They say Bobby has 13 blown saves in his career and three have come at Camden Yards.

Last year Baltimore got him in Chicago on July 2nd and got him in Baltimore on the 14th.

In each of the last three cases the O's got him he allowed two runs in the 9th.

Strange.

Lip

JB98
04-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Rocky, great post. People get upset over a game like tonight. Why? Oh, I don't know. Maybe because if AJ makes a simple throw to first base, the Sox win the game. If getting mad over the way the Sox totally wet the bed tonight makes someone not a real fan, then I guess I'm in that boat.

I guess I'm the opposite of you. I can't understand how any "fan" couldn't be pulling their hair out after tonight's game.

Well, I'm not pulling my hair out because I've seen many losses like this before in all my years following the Sox. Am I disappointed? Sure, but I'm not going to start evoking the evils of 2007 over this one little loss.

Garland is going to beat the Royals tonight, and we're going to wake up tomorrow morning with our Sox still in first place.

It will be OK.

JB98
04-17-2008, 11:05 PM
The AP story on this confirms what I thought in an earlier post. They say Bobby has 13 blown saves in his career and three have come at Camden Yards.

Last year Baltimore got him in Chicago on July 2nd and got him in Baltimore on the 14th.

Strange.

Lip

Last year, Bobby lost on a wild pitch in the ninth at Camden Yards. How often have we seen that happen? Not often, that's for sure. Bad things seem to happen for him against the Orioles, without a doubt. It is strange.

JoeClutch24
04-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Last year, Bobby lost on a wild pitch in the ninth at Camden Yards. How often have we seen that happen? Not often, that's for sure. Bad things seem to happen for him against the Orioles, without a doubt. It is strange.

The Cubs do that

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Strange things seem to happen to the Sox EVERY time we play Baltimore.

JoeClutch24
04-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Let's hope we don't play these guys in the playoffs

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 11:14 PM
White Sox:

Well that IS true going back to the 1950's and the "house of horrors" Memorial Stadium!

Oh add Markakis to the list of Sox killers...he's made a career off the team.

Lip

Sockinchisox
04-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Let's hope we don't play these guys in the playoffs

I can almost assure you the Orioles will not be in the playoffs this year.

NDSox12
04-17-2008, 11:17 PM
I can almost assure you the Orioles will not be in the playoffs this year.

No kidding. Don't let their record fool you. They are my pick for worst team in the American League this year.

whitesoxfan
04-17-2008, 11:22 PM
White Sox:

Well that IS true going back to the 1950's and the "house of horrors" Memorial Stadium!

Oh add Markakis to the list of Sox killers...he's made a career off the team.

Lip

Markakis is going to kill a lot of teams. That's because he's good.

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Does it seem to anyone else that whatever the Cubs do (as in win or lose) the Sox do also in the same day?

I remember seeing that the Cubbies lost in the 7th inning and saying to myself thank god the Sox are gonna win this one....

I know it doesn't matter one bit...just an observation....

DickAllen72
04-17-2008, 11:32 PM
My favorite occurrence of this was Gload in 2006, on a warning track out. "Well, maybe that's gone in Charlotte."
I remember that, and it really pissed me off at the time. Gload was put in to pinch hit late in the game, and did exactly what he was supposed to do--he came of the bench swinging, made good contact and hit the ball to the opposite field warning track. Then Hawk made his snarky little comment--"Well, I guess that's a home run in Charlotte."

Patrick134
04-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Here is my one positive post after this pile of crap today:

We all know Jenks is going to be ON 97% of the time, and he blew it today. He got one out of the way.

Going into the the season, the 7th and 8th inning were my biggest worry and that group has not blown anything yet.

If the middle of the pen would have blown it, then yes it feels much worse IMO because of the big questions there.

But the errors need to stop, 3 Unearned is not the makeup of a championship club.

Jenks didn't even pitch badly. Give the hitters some credit, Roberts and Mora are very good hitters.

DickAllen72
04-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Jenks didn't even pitch badly. Give the hitters some credit, Roberts and Mora are very good hitters.
I'm not going to freak out over one lousy loss, but one thing that did bother/concern me a little was that it seemed as if Bobby had no confidence at all in his fastball tonight.

JB98
04-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm not going to freak out over one lousy loss, but one thing that did bother/concern me a little was that it seemed as if Bobby had no confidence at all in his fastball tonight.

Which is strange, because he had a real good fastball last night.

AJ seemed to want Bobby to use his fastball against Mora, and he was reluctant to throw it.

DickAllen72
04-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Which is strange, because he had a real good fastball last night.

AJ seemed to want Bobby to use his fastball against Mora, and he was reluctant to throw it.
Yep, I saw that. He shook off AJ and threw his breaking ball.

TomBradley72
04-18-2008, 12:18 AM
*** did Gavin do to everyone but TCQ and Joe? Pee in Dye's Gatorade? that ninth inning trot to the "double" was sick.

Why was Dye even in the game in the 9th...wasn't that BA time?

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Why was Dye even in the game in the 9th...wasn't that BA time?

I was suprised when JD got on in the 10th and BA didnt come in to pinch run...woulda been nice even sooner...whatever...doesnt matter now....

JB98
04-18-2008, 12:32 AM
I was suprised when JD got on in the 10th and BA didnt come in to pinch run...woulda been nice even sooner...whatever...doesnt matter now....

Or Ozuna. Maybe try to steal a bag in that situation.

kaufsox
04-18-2008, 12:33 AM

death

kaufsox
04-18-2008, 12:35 AM
It's funny this afternoon I was thinking, "Bobby is going to blow some game." Seriously. So, it must be my fault. Sorry everyone. I do not know the extent of my powers. I was also thinking how great it would be if the Sox go on a 10 game winning streak, so...

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-18-2008, 12:37 AM
It's funny this afternoon I was thinking, "Bobby is going to blow some game." Seriously. So, it must be my fault. Sorry everyone. I do not know the extent of my powers. I was also thinking how great it would be if the Sox go on a 10 game winning streak, so...

I saw the 0.00 era and 6/6 on the saves...and I knew we had it in the bag....

Ill take half the blame for the loss tonite guys...haha....

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Defense had as much to do with this loss as the blown save.

Stringer
04-18-2008, 01:03 AM
I saw the 0.00 era and 6/6 on the saves...and I knew we had it in the bag....

Ill take half the blame for the loss tonite guys...haha....

I asked myself why were people still in their seat if Jenks was closing out the game.

I'll take the other half of the blame, fellas.

Sorry

:(:

FJA
04-18-2008, 01:04 AM
It's funny this afternoon I was thinking, "Bobby is going to blow some game." Seriously. So, it must be my fault.

Actually, I'll take the blame on this one ...

07/30/2006
07/14/2007
04/17/2008

These are the last three Sox games I've attended at Camden Yards. In each game, Bobby Jenks has blown the save.

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-18-2008, 01:20 AM
Actually, I'll take the blame on this one ...

07/30/2006
07/14/2007
04/17/2008

These are the last three Sox games I've attended at Camden Yards. In each game, Bobby Jenks has blown the save.

OK...I guess all of WSI is comming for ya bud!

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 01:30 AM
The last two days are a wash in the central. Yesterday, everyone but the Indians won; today, everyone but the Indians lost.

but/and

-Gavin had a great game
-3 of Baltimore's runs were unearned, so we're now 2nd in the AL for ERA
-THE Carlos Quentin killed those home runs

JB98
04-18-2008, 01:35 AM
The last two days are a wash in the central. Yesterday, everyone but the Indians won; today, everyone but the Indians lost.

This is true. When we wake up tomorrow, the Sox will have a .600 winning percentage and still be in first place in the AL Central.

While disappointed with tonight's loss, I'm still encouraged by the team's performance through the first 15 games.

oeo
04-18-2008, 01:45 AM

Strange.

Lip

I'd be interested to know how many of those are against the Royals. They always seem to get to him, as well.

TDog
04-18-2008, 04:48 AM
I was following the game on the Internet up until the bottom of the ninth when I started up to Stockton for a Jackson Brown concert. I was disappointed, but not surprised when I heard on my way home that the Sox had lost. Even the best relievers are not 100 percent. There are going to be days when Jenks can't hold the lead because he pitches so often. Last year on April 10, the only Sox game I saw all year, Jenks lost a game in Oakland.

The reason I wasn't surprised that the Sox lost was that they didn't seem to be playing well. The defense was bad enough that the pitching gave up three unearned runs to partially answer the five runs by the Sox. The pitching was bad enough that it gave up big two-out hits that scored three unearned runs. (Really good pitchers don't give up a lot of unearned runs.) Apparently the Orioles got bit two-out hits to tie the game against Jenks.

I don't believe this game points out any weaknesses in the Sox. It's just a winnable game -- more than that, a game they should have won -- that will go down in the loss column.

Jackson Brown was great, by the way.

Thome25
04-18-2008, 08:19 AM
MacDougal and Dotel need to go bye bye in the bullpen. (even though MacDougal didn't have a hand in last nite's loss.)

Also, we need to break up the double play/strikeout twins Thome and Konerko. One and/or both of them needs to start hitting or KW needs to say "adios amigo"!!

We have plenty of candidates for 1B/DH. Dye could be the DH and Swisher could play 1B. Thome and Konerko are killing us right now.

Dye looks terrible in the field and needs to be the DH ASAP.

Thome25
04-18-2008, 08:23 AM

Strange.

Lip

You would think Ozzie would've known this and let someone else close the game and gave BBB a day off.

Maybe he should've saved Linebrink until the 9th and let him close the game.

Ozzie should've known that stat and sat Bobby in a tight, up-and-down kind of game.

cws05champ
04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
You would think Ozzie would've known this and let someone else close the game and gave BBB a day off.

Ozzie should've known that stat and sat Bobby in a tight, up-and-down kind of game.
As many have said, it's just one game, and games like these are going to happen. However, Ozzie needs to do a better job of team and bullpen management. Thornton is not a LOOGY, why use him as one when he has looked good so far. He should have pitched the whole inning and saved Dotel for the ninth to spell Jenks.

Also, Swisher should have been in RF the last two innings with BA in CF. What is the point of BA on the team if he is not in there to improve the defense overall.

Lets go get em in Tampa...I'll be there Friday and Saturday with my road Black jersey on!

Thome25
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
As many have said, it's just one game, and games like these are going to happen. However, Ozzie needs to do a better job of team and bullpen management. Thornton is not a LOOGY, why use him as one when he has looked good so far. He should have pitched the whole inning and saved Dotel for the ninth to spell Jenks.

Also, Swisher should have been in RF the last two innings with BA in CF. What is the point of BA on the team if he is not in there to improve the defense overall.

Lets go get em in Tampa...I'll be there Friday and Saturday with my road Black jersey on!

Good point!!....What ever happened to the art of the defensive replacement late in a game? I know it's mostly a NL move but, why not us in an up-and-down game?

I never question Ozzie....and I still have faith in him. But, he was partly to blame for last nite's terrible loss along with the bullpen and defense.

October26
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
After reading all of the posts on this thread, I didn't think I could add anything, but here's something I've been thinking about: I'm worried about the number of appearances that Bobby Jenks has made already this year (I think it is 8) and the date yesterday was only the 17th of April. I remember another White Sox Bobby (Thigpen) who blew out his arm after making a record number of appearances. Sure, Thigpen holds the record in saves for a single season, but he was never the same after that. Ozzie - be careful with Bobby Jenks' arm!

rocky biddle
04-18-2008, 08:58 AM
MacDougal and Dotel need to go bye bye in the bullpen. (even though MacDougal didn't have a hand in last nite's loss.)

Also, we need to break up the double play/strikeout twins Thome and Konerko. One and/or both of them needs to start hitting or KW needs to say "adios amigo"!!

We have plenty of candidates for 1B/DH. Dye could be the DH and Swisher could play 1B. Thome and Konerko are killing us right now.

Dye looks terrible in the field and needs to be the DH ASAP.

Good point!!....What ever happened to the art of the defensive replacement late in a game? I know it's mostly a NL move but, why not us in an up-and-down game?

I never question Ozzie....and I still have faith in him. But, he was partly to blame for last nite's terrible loss along with the bullpen and defense.

Looks that way!

:wink:

Thome25
04-18-2008, 09:01 AM
After reading all of the posts on this thread, I didn't think I could add anything, but here's something I've been thinking about: I'm worried about the number of appearances that Bobby Jenks has made already this year (I think it is 11) and the date yesterday was only the 17th of April. I remember another White Sox Bobby (Thigpen) who blew out his arm after making a record number of appearances. Sure, Thigpen holds the record in saves for a single season, but he never pitched again. Ozzie - be careful with Bobby Jenks' arm!

If he pitches 1 inning EVERYDAY that's 7 innings a week. That's still less than your average starter who pitches sometimes twice a week @ 5-7 innings per start.

But, we know that would never happen. Bobby would never pitch 7 days a week because of days off and the White Sox would never be leading the game in the 9th 7 days a week.

BoysMom3
04-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Well I know we're going to have a loss sometimes, but that was just plain disappointing. It was definitely a game that I thought we had in the bag.

palehozenychicty
04-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Didn't follow last night, but it sounds like one of those losses that is just baseball. Let's see what happens this weekend.

AZChiSoxFan
04-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Yup, I agree on that.

I just think this forum should be there for people to vent freely.

Rather than beating up the kids (as some people have done in the past, sad to say), this is the perfect alternative.

Just respect the venters, we will cool off by the next game.

Thank you. I really wish I could be like those of you here who are able to say, "whatever, games like this are going to happen over the course of a 162 game schedule." I just get so upset after games like this.

AZChiSoxFan
04-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Really? Pulling your hair out over one baseball game loss in a 162 game season? I would think that "fan" should be institutionalized not considered the norm.

You're right. Sorry about that. I need to learn to not post after games like last night.

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2008, 09:44 AM
I don't find comedy in a Sox loss.

Maybe you do.
No, I don't find comedy in a loss. I find comedy in the fact that some people act like it's August and that loss put us 15 games out of first place instead of it being April and we are performing way better than most people thought we would. Crappy losses happen to the best teams in history. Let's forget about it and move on with the season instead of declaring this the turning point in our descent into the basement.

MsSoxVixen22
04-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Um why wasn't Jenks throwing the heat?? I was out, so I caught bits and pieces of the game since it was on at the pool hall I was at. It looked like Gavin pitched pretty well but what's going on w/Jenks?? I hopw he just didn't "have it" last night and he's not hurt. Logan, hopefully, he'll pitch better his next time out.

infohawk
04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Um why wasn't Jenks throwing the heat?? I was out, so I caught bits and pieces of the game since it was on at the pool hall I was at. It looked like Gavin pitched pretty well but what's going on w/Jenks?? I hopw he just didn't "have it" last night and he's not hurt. Logan, hopefully, he'll pitch better his next time out.
I hate to say it, but at the start of the bottom of the ninth inning I thought to myself, "You know, eventually Bobby's going to blow one." Doh! I chalk the loss up mainly to the errors. Yeah, Bobby could have shut it down, but, even if he saves 40 again, he's going to blow a save here and there. We've just got to deal with it.

Another thought. We may lose a game like this on rare occassions, but we'll win a few rare ninth inning comebacks, too. It may even out, so to speak.

Hitmen77
04-18-2008, 10:08 AM
-Gavin had a great game
-3 of Baltimore's runs were unearned, so we're now 2nd in the AL for ERA
-THE Carlos Quentin killed those home runs

I am also encouraged by Floyd having another great outing and by Quentin looking more and more like he'll be a solid part of our lineup.

Question: Why did Ozzie pull Floyd after only 6 innings and 82 pitches? Also, why did he use Thornton for only one hitter at the beginning of the 7th inning? Anyone have any thoughts on the rationale behind those moves?

I think the Sox will be very competitive in this division this year and I wouldn't be surprised if we're fighting it out for a playoff spot down to the last weekend of the season. That's why a loss like this bugs me - because I think this division race might be so close this year that it might come down to 1 game keeping a team out of the playoffs. But, that's baseball I suppose - at the end of the season every team is going to be able to point to a few games that they had "in the bag" and they blew in the 9th.

Jurr
04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
I am also encouraged by Floyd having another great outing and by Quentin looking more and more like he'll be a solid part of our lineup.

Question: Why did Ozzie pull Floyd after only 6 innings and 82 pitches? Also, why did he use Thornton for only one hitter at the beginning of the 7th inning? Anyone have any thoughts on the rationale behind those moves?

I think the Sox will be very competitive in this division this year and I wouldn't be surprised if we're fighting it out for a playoff spot down to the last weekend of the season. That's why a loss like this bugs me - because I think this division race might be so close this year that it might come down to 1 game keeping a team out of the playoffs. But, that's baseball I suppose - at the end of the season every team is going to be able to point to a few games that they had "in the bag" and they blew in the 9th.
One thing I can definitely say about this year's Sox team is the fact that they have a demeanor on the field that they want it more than the other team. They seem relaxed (which is most important) but FOCUSED, and that's led to great outings from the rotation, bullpen, and defense.

This team has played with a little chip on its shoulder so far this year. They want to win and the believe they can, despite what "experts" say. So far, so good. Last night, after the Quentin homer made it 5-2, they obviously got too happy, and it bit 'em. They mailed in AB's, the defense wasn't focused, and it resulted in a comeback loss.

This team is good, but they're not so good that they can afford to put it on cruise control. It looked like they got a little too comfy with the game situation, and were ready to hit the plane with a couple of ice cold victory beers.
So far, the Sox have responded to losses in a very productive manner, which is huge. There's no better situation than losing 1 of 3 (and it should've been winning three straight) while going back to the top of the rotation.

A sweep of the Rays would be so nice. With no Kazmir, the Sox catch a break, and they need to take advantage. A sweep would be awesome, and it's attainable.

downstairs
04-18-2008, 10:31 AM
If he pitches 1 inning EVERYDAY that's 7 innings a week. That's still less than your average starter who pitches sometimes twice a week @ 5-7 innings per start.

But, we know that would never happen. Bobby would never pitch 7 days a week because of days off and the White Sox would never be leading the game in the 9th 7 days a week.

Doesn't work that way. It takes a lot of energy just to start pitching, no matter how long you will be going: 6 innings or 1.

Sort of like a light bulb: turning it on and off is what wastes most of its energy.

If you pitched a pitcher 1 inning, 5-6 days a week... their career would be in the tank before June.

asindc
04-18-2008, 10:41 AM
I was at the game last night. It was, unfornately, reminiscent of the last time I saw the Sox in Baltimore. Back in 06, Jenks blew a save in the 9th after some sloppy fielding set up the Os. There is something about Jenks in Baltimore that effects him.

No matter, I had a good time anyway despite the loss. I didn't make any games last year so it was good to be around Sox fans again. I like the make-up of this year's team. Their approach is professional and they seem to want to prove people wrong. Love the energy Swish and Quentin bring to the lineup. I don't think Quentin should come out of the starting lineup, even if Owens comes back completely healthy. He looks like a keeper.

Before the season started, I predict that the Sox would win between 87-92 games. I'm sticking with that prediction. Actually, if Contreras, Danks, and Floyd keep dealing like this week, 92 wins might be on the short side.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-18-2008, 11:08 AM

My guess is that Ozzie wanted to have Gavin leave the game on a high note. Gavin's problems in Philly weren't physical or mechanical, they were mental. That's why I think Ozzie did what he did. Also our bullpen has been very reliable for the most part.

I just find it amusing how people live and die with every win and loss. Just remember what Hawk says

"You're gonna win 60 and lose 60, it's what you do with those other 42 games that matter."

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 11:14 AM
I just find it amusing how people live and die with every win and loss. Just remember what Hawk says

"You're gonna win 60 and lose 60, it's what you do with those other 42 games that matter."

It always stings when it first happens-especially one that we had like last night. I'm much better today.. lol

Jurr
04-18-2008, 11:19 AM
My guess is that Ozzie wanted to have Gavin leave the game on a high note. Gavin's problems in Philly weren't physical or mechanical, they were mental. That's why I think Ozzie did what he did. Also our bullpen has been very reliable for the most part.

I'm with you, bro. When I was in Pittsburgh last year to watch the Sox (already buried) trot out Terrero, Fields, Gonzalez, Mackowiak and the rest of the AAA lineup, I was so bummed. We were in the middle of the friggin' season and the Sox were already a non factor. This team is different, and thank God for that.

kittle42
04-18-2008, 11:25 AM

Because Ozzie Guillen doesn't know how to manage a staff.

But I don't blame the loss on him - the great Dotel could just have easily blown that in the 9th. The loss is on the pen and the errors.

sullythered
04-18-2008, 11:25 AM
As much as Mike North bothers me, he actually had some really interesting blown save numbers on Bobby pitching in three consecutive days. It was a very large percentage of his total blown saves.

Also, why did Ozzie pull Gavin so soon? 6 innings, 2 hits, 2 walks, no earned runs, 81 pitches.

kittle42
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM

This was one of those other 42, as I believe games you blow are listed in that category.

kittle42
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
As much as Mike North bothers me, he actually had some really interesting blown save numbers on Bobby pitching in three consecutive days. It was a very large percentage of his total blown saves.

Ozzie Guillen never met a scouting report he didn't dislike.

asindc
04-18-2008, 11:32 AM

Also, why did Ozzie pull Gavin so soon? 6 innings, 2 hits, 2 walks, no earned runs, 81 pitches.

My take is that Ozzie didn't want the youngster to have to go through the Os lineup a third time.

asindc
04-18-2008, 11:35 AM

This is what I was thinking leaving the game last night. This is one we gave away. There will be a couple of others like this, but there will also be a few that are given to us. It will even out over the course of a season, especially with good teams.

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
My take is that Ozzie didn't want the youngster to have to go through the Os lineup a third time.

My guess too...although I am super impressed with the youngster so far...its early in the season and everyone is still getting their **** straight....

TomBradley72
04-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Rough night....the dropped 3rd strike/ricochet off AJ's shinguard was a kind of a fluke, I think Jenks was going to the curve a little too much..especailly with a lefty Roberts up. Off night for Logan for sure.

Lot's of positives:Quentin, Floyd, Thornton...

KenBerryGrab
04-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Stoney said the curveball was just rolling up there and he wanted to see Roberts get an "eye-high fastball." Me, too, Stoney.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
This was one of those other 42, as I believe games you blow are listed in that category.

I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. Look, last night was an aberration, no doubt about it. Bobby Jenks is not infallible, he's gonna blow a save from time to time. Last night was one of those times.

Several people here have already hit it on the head by saying that what's gonna be important is how the team handles themselves today because last year a loss like that would carry over to the next game or two. However this year's team has a different character to it. This is where Swisher and Cabrera make an impact because they are competitors or grinders if you may. They have the ability to dust themselves off and get ready to saddle up for the next game.

russ99
04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
AJ's error really hurt, but I'm going to chalk this one up to Ozzie not mixing in the other relievers as much and leaning a bit too heavily on Dotel, Linebrink and Jenks.

You go to the well on those three often enough, you'll get a game like last night.

Hopefully Javy can put in a long start tonight and give those guys a little rest.

Lip Man 1
04-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Interesting newspaper story today. Ozzie says he "didn't like the body language" of some players. Is he talking about Mr. Logan?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/902166,CST-SPT-sox18.article

Lip

oeo
04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
AJ's error really hurt, but I'm going to chalk this one up to Ozzie not mixing in the other relievers as much and leaning a bit too heavily on Dotel, Linebrink and Jenks.

You people need to make up your mind. If Ozzie was bringing in a new relief pitcher for every batter, you'd be bitching...now you're going to bitch because he used the back end of the bullpen?

Sorry, but Dotel and Linebrink are getting paid a lot of money...we better be able to 'lean on' them, and they better be able to close out games. And Jenks is our closer...how can you not 'lean on' him?

I see no way you can blame this game on Ozzie. Linebrink hasn't looked especially great, and Jenks gets owned by the O's. It's really that simple: they didn't do their jobs. Dotel, Linebrink, and Jenks are here to work the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings, and they didn't finish it.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Interesting newspaper story today. Ozzie says he "didn't like the body language" of some players. Is he talking about Mr. Logan?

Lip

I was wondering about that also. Any clue?

Jurr
04-18-2008, 01:20 PM
You people need to make up your mind. If Ozzie was bringing in a new relief pitcher for every batter, you'd be bitching...now you're going to bitch because he used the back end of the bullpen?

Sorry, but Dotel and Linebrink are getting paid a lot of money...we better be able to 'lean on' them, and they better be able to close out games. And Jenks is our closer...how can you not 'lean on' him?

I see no way you can blame this game on Ozzie. Linebrink hasn't looked especially great, and Jenks gets owned by the O's. It's really that simple: they didn't do their jobs. Dotel, Linebrink, and Jenks are here to work the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings, and they didn't finish it.
Combine that with the position players thinking about that frosty victory brew before the game was over (hence mailing in AB's and not being sharp in the field), and there you go.
Sometimes a nice smack to the chops is good for the soul. They'll rebound and win tonight, and all will be well.

Jerko
04-18-2008, 01:35 PM
I am ecstatic that we now have an "8th inning guy", but maybe we didn't need to use him with a 3 run lead. Not saying I disagre with using him, I just don't want anybody to be "unavailable" in tighter games than last night's was. Yes Jenks sucks against Baltimore, but if he didn't start the 9th we would have crucified somebody. I'm more pissed at the Logan walks than anything.

hawkjt
04-18-2008, 01:56 PM

Lip
I was racking my brain to try to figure out who he was referring to...I suppose it could have been Boone..who might have dropped his shoulders a bit when the ump screwed him on a couple of calls..or JD's bad read in right field? Who else?

Very curious.

oeo
04-18-2008, 02:01 PM
I was racking my brain to try to figure out who he was referring to...I suppose it could have been Boone..who might have dropped his shoulders a bit when the ump screwed him on a couple of calls..or JD's bad read in right field? Who else?

Very curious.

It could have been anybody...you could make a case for almost everybody. Crede had another bad play at third on that infield single in the 9th. Good play to get to the ball, but he then took his sweet time like it was Paulie running down the line. When he realized that he had to get rid of it quick, he had throw a fast, one bounce throw. With that play, and the one on Wednesday where he shouldn't have even thrown it, it's like he thinks he can do no wrong.

Hopefully this wakes them up.

It's Dankerific
04-18-2008, 02:07 PM
It could have been anybody...you could make a case for almost everybody. Crede had another bad play at third on that infield single in the 9th. Good play to get to the ball, but he then took his sweet time like it was Paulie running down the line. When he realized that he had to get rid of it quick, he had throw a fast, one bounce throw. With that play, and the one on Wednesday where he shouldn't have even thrown it, it's like he thinks he can do no wrong.

Hopefully this wakes them up.

Thats insane. He saved a sure double. Its a long throw. No way anyone gets the ball there. Would you have rathered he didnt set his feet and got the ball nowhere near PK? I'm sure fields would have thrown the runner out.

JB98
04-18-2008, 02:18 PM
I am ecstatic that we now have an "8th inning guy", but maybe we didn't need to use him with a 3 run lead. Not saying I disagre with using him, I just don't want anybody to be "unavailable" in tighter games than last night's was. Yes Jenks sucks against Baltimore, but if he didn't start the 9th we would have crucified somebody. I'm more pissed at the Logan walks than anything.

The bottom line is we got the ball to Jenks with a two-run lead. I think most of us would take that. Ninety percent of the time (at least), that's a White Sox win. Just didn't happen last night.

I would like to see Thornton's role expanded a bit. He had a poor year last season (like a lot of guys did), but he's been throwing the ball like the 2006 Matt so far this year. I think he's capable of helping Linebrink and Jenks out the last two innings when we're leading. Right now, Ozzie seems to trust Logan more, which is a bit perplexing from my perspective.

TDog
04-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Question: Why did Ozzie pull Floyd after only 6 innings and 82 pitches? Also, why did he use Thornton for only one hitter at the beginning of the 7th inning? Anyone have any thoughts on the rationale behind those moves? ...

I believe Gullen knows what he's doing when it comes to handling pitchers. Sometimes it doesn't work, but I believe I understood what he was doing Thursday night.

Pitch count didn't factor into Floyd being removed, and it doesn't factor into pitchers being removed as often as people think it does. A few years ago, only Peter Gammons and a couple of other people on ESPN were talking a out pitch counts. Now the figure is so in the mind of casual fans that stadiums have pitch counters because the fans want to know. Good managers don't want to overwork pitchers, but the bottom line isn't how many pitches they have thrown, but how effective will they be against the batters coming up.

Gullen took Floyd out of is previous start against Detroit after he allowed a hit and the bullpen saved the game. It appeared that Gullen could tell Floyd was spent emotionally and had lost the edge that made him so tough that afternoon. Thursday night, Guillen stuck with him after the hit, showing more confidence in him because you don't want your pitcher to believe that a single base hit. The error obviously hurt, but Floyd had two outs when he gave up the home run. He wasn't the same pitcher after giving up a hit.

In retrospect, Gullen took Floyd out too late. If this indeed is Floyd's breakout season, as his first three starts tease at it being, he is going to have to deal with adversity. Leaving him in the game to finish the inning may have been best in the long run.

As for leaving Thornton in to face one batter, Guillen was looking at getting a tough out to lead off the inning to hand Dotel a two-out inning. Thornton was warming as a precaution to Floyd blowing up the previous inning.

I might have left Floyd in for another inning and tried to close it out with MacDougal/Thornton and Dotel. But I'm not going to second-guess Guillen on his handling of his pitchers because they lost on a night when the first five runs scored with two outs and the first three of them were set up by errors.

The errors, coupled ultimately with Jenks' ineffectiveness, lost a game the Sox should have won. The Sox have a very good bullpen. Sometimes good bullpens will give up runs, just as sometimes the Tigers bullpen doesn't. Dennis Eckersley is in the Hall of Fame, but the most famous play he was involved in was the ultimate save-blowing home run to Kirk Gibson. That's why you want the starters to go as deep into the game as they effectively can.

turners56
04-18-2008, 04:04 PM
What had me scratching my head is why Jenks and AJ kept on calling that curveball, it was obvious Bobby didn't have it. The hit by Roberts was off a hanging curve and if I'm not mistaken, Mora hit a similar pitch up the middle. That's a big brain cramp on A.J.'s part, it's not like Bobby was starting, he was trying to get one more out. The errors hurt a lot, they scored 0 ER until the 9th, Sox should of had a 5-0 lead in the 9th (where Bobby would of been spared, he's been pitching a lot lately) had Pauley and A.J. learned how to play their respective positions. Plus I don't know what Boone Logan was thinking, 1-2 on Millar and 0-2 on Scott, they both end up walking? I think Ozzie made the right decision by going with Logan (I'd rather have him on than MacDougal or Masset, considering there were 2 lefties coming up, let's not start second guessing). Overall, the bullpen was absolutely atrocious, the defense was bad, and the offense failed to score more than 5 runs with 3 home runs. This should of been the Sox' 10th win, instead it turns into a disappointing, morale hurting disaster. Let's see how they bounce back tonight, I think last night was a very vital game early on in the season.

oeo
04-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Thats insane. He saved a sure double. Its a long throw. No way anyone gets the ball there. Would you have rathered he didnt set his feet and got the ball nowhere near PK? I'm sure fields would have thrown the runner out.

No, that's insane. It was a slow chopper...double, my ass. Any 3B that lets that ball get by them, should not be playing 3B.

He got to it easily...his problem was the slow turn around to make the throw.

Is it illegal to say Crede makes mistakes defensively? It has nothing to do with the Crede/Fields situation...Joe has just made two bad plays the last two games.

It's Dankerific
04-18-2008, 04:10 PM
No, that's insane. It was a slow chopper...double, my ass. Any 3B that lets that ball get by them, should not be playing 3B.

At least we agree about Fields then.

turners56
04-18-2008, 04:11 PM

Is it illegal to say Crede makes mistakes defensively? It has nothing to do with the Crede/Fields situation...Joe has just made two bad plays the last two games.

He should of made that play, for christ's sakes it was a catcher running down that line. The grounder by Hernandez could have been a double play, I would of liked to see Konerko try it.

oeo
04-18-2008, 04:12 PM
At least we agree about Fields then.

:scratch:

Fields would have got to that ball, too. What about that play screamed, "great?" Again, it was not hit hard...every third baseman in baseball gets to that ball. You've got some weird idea in your head that it was a rocket down the line.

BTW, I think Fields would make the play. His arm is superb. Crede could have made it too, if he wasn't dogging it.

russ99
04-18-2008, 04:21 PM

Linebrink's done fine. I wouldn't lay the blame on him. He made his pitch to get out of the inning, and A.J. couldn't make the play.

What I meant in my post is that it seems to me that almost every game so far has had Dotel, Linebrink and Jenks pitching the 7th, 8th and 9th innings.

While I'm not thinking the pen is overworked like the Cubs and I don't advocate turning over the 8th/9th inning to the likes of MacDougal, Ozzie should pick his spots and not expect them to kick butt every single day. We were ahead enough last night that Dotel wasn't really needed in the 7th and even Linebrink possibly could have gotten the night off.

It's Dankerific
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
:scratch:

Fields would have got to that ball, too. What about that play screamed, "great?" Again, it was not hit hard...every third baseman in baseball gets to that ball. You've got some weird idea in your head that it was a rocket down the line.

BTW, I think Fields would make the play. His arm is superb. Crede could have made it too, if he wasn't dogging it.

The fact that you think that play was a routine grounder to 3rd shows how spoiled we all are to have Crede manning 3rd base.

BTW, Fields can't make simple plays, he sure as hell wasn't making that play. How you can describe that play as "dogging it" is mind boggling. While I'm all for not going with the crowd, don't you think its strange that you're on an island with this idea?

JB98
04-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Linebrink's done fine. I wouldn't lay the blame on him. He made his pitch to get out of the inning, and A.J. couldn't make the play.

What I meant in my post is that it seems to me that almost every game so far has had Dotel, Linebrink and Jenks pitching the 7th, 8th and 9th innings.

While I'm not thinking the pen is overworked like the Cubs and I don't advocate turning over the 8th/9th inning to the likes of MacDougal, Ozzie should pick his spots and not expect them to kick butt every single day. We were ahead enough last night that Dotel wasn't really needed in the 7th and even Linebrink possibly could have gotten the night off.

Yeah, I agree that Linebrink has done fine. On a night like last night, why not Thornton for the seventh, Dotel for the eighth and Jenks for the ninth? We still would have lost because Jenks was the guy who broke down, but we don't need to ride Linebrink EVERY DAY in the eighth. Dotel and Thornton can handle that inning at times too, IMO.

PeteWard
04-19-2008, 05:47 AM
I was following the game on the Internet up until the bottom of the ninth when I started up to Stockton for a Jackson Brown concert. I

Jackson Brown was great, by the way.

THOUGHT HE WAS DEAD.