PDA

View Full Version : How Does Our 2008 Defense Compare Historically to Other WSox Teams?

TomBradley72
04-17-2008, 04:31 PM
I know it's VERY early....but it's hard for me to remember a White Sox team that has performed at this level on defense...even if only for a two week run like this. We're seeing highlight reel plays from nearly every position on a regular basis....led by Crede...but everyone seems to be getting in on the action.

How does this team stack up to 2005? 2000? 1993? 1983? 1959? The other really good teams of the 50's and 60's?

hawkjt
04-17-2008, 04:49 PM
I think it is comparable to the 2005 team.. Iguchi is the only different element in the infield and that is a push.
Rowand was in the outfield and that is a plus but Pods had no arm and Carlos Q has a great arm.

veeter
04-17-2008, 04:56 PM
And with Ramirez and Brian we can get very good defense from the bench. Swisher to me is the big defensive surprise. He's been great.

Navarro's Talent
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
And with Ramirez and Brian we can get very good defense from the bench. Swisher to me is the big defensive surprise. He's been great.

Yeah, I've been pretty surprised by Swish in CF. He's gone far and beyond my expectations defensively.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Tom:

With no disrespect to this year's club or to the 1990 team which played exceptional defense throughout the season, especially Calderon...but look at it this way...in the 1950's the Sox had FIVE Gold Glover's in the field...Lollar behind the plate, Aparicio and Fox in the middle of the infield, Jim Landis in center and Minnie Minoso in left.

There was a reason the Sox usually won one run games in that overall time period.

Case closed.

Lip

Jurr
04-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I've been pretty surprised by Swish in CF. He's gone far and beyond my expectations defensively.
He ain't no Rob Mackowiak, but he'll do. Rob Mackowiaks come once in a lifetime.

DSpivack
04-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Tom:

With no disrespect to this year's club or to the 1990 team which played exceptional defense throughout the season, especially Calderon...but look at it this way...in the 1950's the Sox had FIVE Gold Glover's in the field...Lollar behind the plate, Aparicio and Fox in the middle of the infield, Jim Landis in center and Minnie Minoso in left.

There was a reason the Sox usually won one run games in that overall time period.

Case closed.

Lip

Wow, I didn't realize that. It's amazing that team only made it to the Series once.

TDog
04-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Tom:

Case closed.

Lip

I don't think you can compare many teams to the White Sox of the 1950s, and even the White Sox through some of the 1960s played exceptional defense. there were players who didn't win Gold Gloves who probably should have. Ken Berry didn't win his Gold Glove until 1970 when the White Sox -- easily the worst defensive team in the league -- had two Gold Glovers and traded them both in the offseason.

The White Sox have a strong defensive team this year. Catching could be stronger. Pierzynski isn't the best defensive catcher in the league, and his backup could be among the worst defensive catchers in the league, which shouldn't be the case with your backup catcher. I like the outfield, although it may lack the range of the 2005 Sox outfield. What I most like is that the infield has the ability to play Gold Glove defense.

chisox77
04-17-2008, 06:35 PM
It's very early in the season, but the 2008 White Sox are shaping up nicely as a defensive team. There could be some more upside to their defensive capabilities.

:cool:

chisoxfanatic
04-17-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't know about you, but I think that Cabrera-Uribe is a damn good 6-4 combo; maybe one of the top three in baseball. They look like they've played together for years.

FourStarsTwoBars
04-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Errors are by no means a complete analysis of defense, but they do indicate missed opportunities.
So far this year, we have 6 errors in 14 games = .43 errors/game
2005: 94 E in 162 games = .58 E/g
2000: 138 E in 162 games = .85E/g
:Manos with 36!

so we are making less errors than other runs

*as i write this, paulie makes an error
7 in 15 = .47 E/g

ChicagoHoosier
04-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Hard thread to contribute too after a 6-5 loss giving up three unearned runs.

ode to veeck
04-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Errors are by no means a complete analysis of defense, but they do indicate missed opportunities.
So far this year, we have 6 errors in 14 games = .43 errors/game
2005: 94 E in 162 games = .58 E/g
2000: 138 E in 162 games = .85E/g
:Manos with 36!

so we are making less errors than other runs

*as i write this, paulie makes an error
7 in 15 = .47 E/g

there's a reason we nicknamed him Manos, but the guy had some decent range and was a heart and soul spark plug at the plate

Bucky F. Dent
04-18-2008, 09:25 AM
From the prespective of the infield: Crede, Cabrera, Uribe, Konerko is the best defensive infield I remember us ever having. That said, I am getting old and forgetful.:D:

Bucky F. Dent
04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Rob Mackowiaks come once in a lifetime.

Thank God for that!

cheezheadsoxfan
04-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Tom:

Case closed.

Lip

Thanks for bringing this up. I remember those teams and they would be hard to top. Landis alone spoiled me forever for centerfielders. I remember my father comparing him to Dimaggio (not the hitting obviously). Probably why I like to see BA in CF.