PDA

View Full Version : Tejeda admits he lied about age

Sockinchisox
04-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Stunning

He's actually 33, which is two years older than he said he was.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5708800.html

skottyj242
04-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Can they void his contract for this?

04-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Too funny.

The Astros get screwed.

jabrch
04-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Can they void his contract for this?

Why would they? He's hitting .320 with a .550 SLG%. Voiding his contract, after just trading a bunch of talent to get him, would be a very bad idea.

skottyj242
04-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Why would they? He's hitting .320 with a .550 SLG%. Voiding his contract, after just trading a bunch of talent to get him, would be a very bad idea.

He can also be in jail by the end of the year. I was just asking a legal question, not saying that they should.

jabrch
04-17-2008, 01:43 PM
He can also be in jail by the end of the year. I was just asking a legal question, not saying that they should.

gotcha

Hokiesox
04-17-2008, 02:07 PM
I think they could, but he's probably got more problems with immigrations and customs now, he had to certify his DOB to get a visa.

russ99
04-17-2008, 02:16 PM
I think they could, but he's probably got more problems with immigrations and customs now, he had to certify his DOB to get a visa.

What's the big deal? As long as he can hit he's cool in my book. Considering how he's doing, a #4 starter (Albers) ,a middle reliever (Sarfate) and Luke Scott is a pretty fair trade so far. Troy Patton is out for the season with a Labrum tear.

He's not getting suspended due to Mitchell because of the deal between MLB and the union and who knows if the FBI can gather enough evidence to take him to trial. I'd think Clemens has a lot more to worry about than Tejada.

I'd also bet half the players from Cuba and the Dominican (Contreras anyone?) have given false DOB's too. Why would he be singled out, unless he were the target of a witch hunt...

HomeFish
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I think the fact that baseball players are physically inspected before signed or dealt might stand in the way of voiding the contract.

doublem23
04-17-2008, 02:30 PM
I think the fact that baseball players are physically inspected before signed or dealt might stand in the way of voiding the contract.

If you know a medical test that exactly determines a persons DOB, there would be more than a few doctors wanting to talk to you.

soltrain21
04-17-2008, 02:31 PM
What's the big deal? As long as he can hit he's cool in my book. Considering how he's doing, a #4 starter (Albers) ,a middle reliever (Sarfate) and Luke Scott is a pretty fair trade so far. Troy Patton is out for the season with a Labrum tear.

He's not getting suspended due to Mitchell because of the deal between MLB and the union and who knows if the FBI can gather enough evidence to take him to trial. I'd think Clemens has a lot more to worry about than Tejada.

I'd also bet half the players from Cuba and the Dominican (Contreras anyone?) have given false DOB's too. Why would he be singled out, unless he were the target of a witch hunt...

Because um...it is illegal to lie on your Visa?

FedEx227
04-17-2008, 02:31 PM
If you know a medical test that exactly determines a persons DOB, there would be more than a few doctors wanting to talk to you.

Can't you just cut him open and count the rings?

ilsox7
04-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Because um...it is illegal to lie on your Visa?

The story I read said he did not lie. His proper birthday was listed on all of his legal docs.

soltrain21
04-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Is anybody watching the Cubs game? Brenly thinks he is older than that. They were just talking about, with Kasper being pretty apologetic, but Brenly was like, "He is AT LEAST 2 years older than what he initially said."

You really wonder what the true age of some of these guys actually are.

skottyj242
04-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Is anybody watching the Cubs game? Brenly thinks he is older than that. They were just talking about, with Kasper being pretty apologetic, but Brenly was like, "He is AT LEAST 2 years older than what he initially said."

You really wonder what the true age of some of these guys actually are.

I wonder if some of these guy even know how old they are.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Who's Tejeda? :cool:

Anyway, Tejada lied about his age to play baseball and not buy booze so I see no problem with that.

Elephant
04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
What kind of implications for my fantasy team is the question.

chaerulez
04-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Why is anyone making a big deal out of this? It's not surprising in the league. Soriano admitted this when he was with Texas. It's no secret that the ages of the Hernandez brothers and Jose Contreras are always being questioned. Former Cub pitcher Juan Cruz I think also admitted his age was incorrect.

Foulke You
04-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Why is anyone making a big deal out of this? It's not surprising in the league. Soriano admitted this when he was with Texas. It's no secret that the ages of the Hernandez brothers and Jose Contreras are always being questioned. Former Cub pitcher Juan Cruz I think also admitted his age was incorrect.
I remember a few years ago when Bartolo Colon's age magically jumped from 26 to 30 in one season.:D: Orlando Hernandez is widely believed to be 45 years old. Jose Contreras is listed at 36 but it wouldn't surprise me if he was really about 39 or 40.

Ex-Chicagoan
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
When I hire someone, it's my job to check their license, green card, I-9, etc. for all of that information. Do the Astros not check this sort of thing?

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2008, 05:17 PM
When I hire someone, it's my job to check their license, green card, I-9, etc. for all of that information. Do the Astros not check this sort of thing?

There was no way the Astros would have found this because Tejada's age was changed a long time ago when he was in the Dominican Republic. It wasn't just the Astros that didn't check for this but neither did the A's and Orioles.

mccoydp
04-17-2008, 05:23 PM
I wonder if some of these guy even know how old they are.

:contreras:

"Are you talking to me?"

:elduque:

"Leave me out of this."

DSpivack
04-17-2008, 06:20 PM
There was no way the Astros would have found this because Tejada's age was changed a long time ago when he was in the Dominican Republic. It wasn't just the Astros that didn't check for this but neither did the A's and Orioles.

The article said that all of his legal documents, green card, driver's license, etc., show the correct 1974 date.

JUribe1989
04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
He lied about his age to come to America and get a better living. It's not politics, it's ESPN just being racist. I don't see how this could be depicted as anything but a cheap and racist move. They have no right to bring up his birth certificate like that on air. Completely classless and out of line.

sas1974
04-18-2008, 04:09 PM
He lied about his age to come to America and get a better living. It's not politics, it's ESPN just being racist. I don't see how this could be depicted as anything but a cheap and racist move. They have no right to bring up his birth certificate like that on air. Completely classless and out of line.

I couldn't agree more. What he did is wrong, but I can definitely understand why he did it. I can't say I'd do anything different if put in his position. I think the bigger issue is the way ESPN handled it. This isn't "To Catch a Predator."

chaerulez
04-18-2008, 04:16 PM

I don't know if it's racist, but it's certainly lame in a way. ESPN never confronted cheaters like Bonds in this manner, instead they kissed his ass and gave him his own show. (Yes I'm aware of the irony here in that Tejada is a suspected steroid user)

But it's funny the issues ESPN wants to press. They could report this without being asses about it and then bring up the fact that this is a common practice by Latino players.

doublem23
04-18-2008, 04:21 PM
This is starting to cross a line between baseball discussion and politics. If you'd like to continue discussing anything non-baseball related in regards to this topic, visit the PI Boards at www.wsiforums.com (http://www.wsiforums.com), but leave it out of this thread.