PDA

View Full Version : "Cubs Fans worst in Baseball"

kaufsox
04-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Just turned on Mike Murphy, whom I can't stand, but I need to stay awake, so I can't listen to Mike Tireco(sp.) Anyway, Murph is a HUGE lather about comments made by Marty Brennaman during the Cubs v. Reds game last night. The fans tossed something like 12-18 baseballs on to the field prompting Brennaman to say among other things, "This is why Cubs fans are the worst in baseball." and "Everyone picking them to win the division, and I say I truly hope not." and "and when they lose, which they will" and the color man added "they will have no one to boo but themselves." Prompting Marty to say, "oh they won't do that. It's never there fault. They'll blame a goat" Colorman: "to blame a goat for that long of a losing streak is just stupid."

I, admittedly, am doing this from memory so if one of the more technically savvy folks can find a link to the sound bite you will not be disappointed. It was hilarious and dead-on. I think I have a new favorite radio team.:D:

I want Mags back
04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
haha, thats awesome

is Marty related to Thom

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2008, 01:46 PM
haha, thats awesome

is Marty related to Thom
Oh yea. Apparently the broadcaster gene skips a generation.

CHIsoxNation
04-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I heard it too.

They were pretty hilarious and spot on.

JohnTucker0814
04-17-2008, 01:53 PM
What inning was this in?

goon
04-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Thom Brennaman is the current commentator for the Reds, Marty is his father. I don't get to hear much of Thom when he's doing Reds games, but when he does national games for Fox I enjoy listening to him. That's some pretty harsh stuff to say, but you gotta give it to him, he's got balls.

SoxGirl4Life
04-17-2008, 01:54 PM
All true.

It's Dankerific
04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Someone please find a clip.

RockJock07
04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
What inning was this in?

I think it was top 8th or 9th. It was after Adam Dunn hit a bomb onto the street.

I heard that they weren't giving away any balls so I wonder why people just threw back 12-15 balls, must have been BP balls. Stupid, cubs fans are just dumb, another reason I'm glad to be a Sox fan.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Someone tell Lip to do an interview with him so we can get it in writing!

rdwj
04-17-2008, 02:37 PM
I heard it too - FANTASTIC clip.

PatK
04-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Boy, the Tribune today made it seem like those balls being thrown back was totally neato.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 03:00 PM
I actually know Marty from my day's in Lexington. I'll see what I can do.

Lip

TomBradley72
04-17-2008, 03:01 PM
If something like last night's incident happened at the Cell....it would be all over the news. Throwing ~15 baseballs back on the field after a meaningless HR in a blow out, the temper tantrums that turn into garbage being thrown all over the field, the multiple incidents of drunks charging players on the field, the alleged racial taunts coming from the bleachers...what a joke.

On top of that, Theriot was quoted as saying he thought "it was pretty cool"....add Zambrano's antics, Soriano's "hop"...the culture is so deeply rooted in that franchise.

Popularity, drama and crazy antics ahead of winning baseball.

Rockin Robin
04-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Was it on tv? Because I've got mlb.tv...

peeonwrigley
04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
LOL, just heard it on B&B.

Classic.

TomBradley72
04-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Link to mention of this incident in Tribune:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/04/new-trend-at-wr.html

I don't know if they'll post my response or not:

"Cub fans are pathetic. Let's get wasted and throw baseballs on the field after a meaningless home run in a blow out. Along with their regular garbage throwing temper tantrums when an umpire's call doesn't go their way...some the most classless fans in professional sports."

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2008, 03:12 PM
I think it was top 8th or 9th. It was after Adam Dunn hit a bomb onto the street.

I heard that they weren't giving away any balls so I wonder why people just threw back 12-15 balls, must have been BP balls. Stupid, cubs fans are just dumb, another reason I'm glad to be a Sox fan.

Cub fans bring cheap balls with them so they can keep the HR ball and then throw a fake back on the field. :o:

spawn
04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Link to mention of this incident in Tribune:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/04/new-trend-at-wr.html

I don't know if they'll post my response or not:

"Cub fans are pathetic. Let's get wasted and throw baseballs on the field after a meaningless home run in a blow out. Along with their regular garbage throwing temper tantrums when an umpire's call doesn't go their way...some the most classless fans in professional sports."
It's there.

ksimpson14
04-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Marty is funny, I was listening to one of his games on XM last week, he was LAYING INTO ESPN, and was ranting on all those stupid Stuart Scott/Berman type of catchphrases. He then proceeded to rip on his son who was in the booth next to him, for using some of them

Thom was on AM1000 a couple days ago. He was indirectly ripping on Cub fans, hinting he's had some bad experiences at Wrigley, talking about how the fans have access to you in the parking lot. Then they played some clip on the air of him after a Reds HR where he says something like 'and now all these little Cub fans can shut their mouths, time for the Reds fans to shout!', with a real bitter sounding tone towards the Cub fans, was kind of creepy.

UofCSoxFan
04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I think a lot of people bring baseballs into the game so if they catch a home run ball they can keep it as a souvineer and throw back a "fake" ball.

I've always thought this tradition is really dumb. If you don't want the ball, give it to a kid and make his day. Fans should be ejected for throwing stuff on the field and yet they are celebrated.

I'm really glad the Brenneman repeatedly referred to Chicago CUBS fans and did not generalize all Chicago fans.

There definitely are some good Cubs fans out there, and every fanbase has their bad apples, but I'd say his comments were spot on regarding Cubs fans.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Here's mine:

If 15 baseballs were thrown on the field at a Sox game, the Trib would have it as front page news about how dangerous Sox fans are. Cub fans do it, and it's cute. Yeah, no bias there.

HitMan_naMtiH
04-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Here's mine:

If 15 baseballs were thrown on the field at a Sox game, the Trib would have it as front page news about how dangerous Sox fans are. Cub fans do it, and it's cute. Yeah, no bias there.
:Rocker:

UofCSoxFan
04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Well the way things are going right now at the urinal, it looks like Cubs fans may throw back 15 home run balls again today....just 1 at a time this time.

pdimas
04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Boy, the Tribune today made it seem like those balls being thrown back was totally neato.

The Cubs announcers started to say something about the balls being thrown on the field and then quickly changed subjects. They replayed the audio on the radio today. I think it was 670 around 12:00 p.m. that I heard it on. It was as if somebody told the announcers to ignore it. :?:

MCHSoxFan
04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
All true.

Yep.

WizardsofOzzie
04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Gahhhhh I wanna hear this clip!

UofCSoxFan
04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Gahhhhh I wanna hear this clip!

B&B has played it at least 3 times during the show.

I wouldn't be shocked if its on deadspin or awful announcing in the next day or two as well....at least I hope.

white sox bill
04-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Leave it to the worse fans in sports to throw back something that is a once in a lifetime event. So using this standard, what do they do with the winning $10 million dollar lottery ticket?

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Leave it to the worse fans in sports to throw back something that is a once in a lifetime event. So using this standard, what do they do with the winning $10 million dollar lottery ticket?

Write Trixie's phone # on it with a permanent marker, then lose it when they fall down drunk on the way back to their car.

chisoxfanatic
04-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Here's mine:

You know it's true! The Windsock would be all over it: "The most unsafe ballpark to watch a game is US Cellular Field," etc...He would then proceed to rip on the Bridgeport neighborhood, and that all us south siders are nothing but heathens.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-17-2008, 05:31 PM
The Windsock would be all over it: "The most unsafe ballpark to watch a game is US Cellular Field," etc...He would then proceed to rip on the Bridgeport neighborhood, and that all us south siders are nothing but heathens.

Moronotti would write that article if his Polish came with, instead of without.

SOXPHILE
04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
I didn't hear it on Murph, but I did just hear it on B & B. Let me guess, Murphy got all pissed, and then began regaling whatever audience he has about his days as a bleacher bum, and how he and his pals invented this "tradition". He is just another asshat in the Cubs Nation of Dumb.

Besides the fact that one should NEVER throw anything back onto the field, and should be ejected if they do, I again ask, what is the purpose of this ? What, the run doesn't count somehow in Cubs fans odd little minds ? They think they're getting back at the other team by throwing the homerun back ? YEAH ! You showed 'em ! You threw back the ball ! Take that (visiting team) !

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Two things:

1. I know Marty well enough to know if he's accosted in the parking lot by Cub fans, he'll get right in their faces and give them **** back.

2. I passed this info on to a friend in the Tribune sports department and got back an honest e-mail from them.

What this person said was. Quote -"Cub fans are the worst in baseball." They explained that anytime they say anything negative about the club, deserved or not, their e-mail box is flooded with angry fan comments. They said that while Sox fans don't like it either, when the team is playing bad baseball they at least want to hear the truth.

This individual has been in the Tribune sports department a long time and is closely associated with baseball in Chicago...both teams.

Lip

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-17-2008, 05:44 PM
I always believe Lip. :D:

Doesn't change the fact that the fans are *******s.

PKalltheway
04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I didn't get to hear that clip, but I wish I would have. That's awesome! I listen to a lot of Reds games on the radio, and I can tell you that Marty Brennaman always "tells it like it is." He never sugarcoats anything, he always gives it to you straight. His son Thom, is basically the same way on Reds broadcasts. This doesn't suprise me in the least.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Red Head:

Not sure where you're coming from.

The Trib person is agreeing with you on Cub fans.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
04-17-2008, 05:49 PM
I always believe Lip. :D:

Doesn't change the fact that the fans are *******s.

Isn't it gonna make it all the more great when they pass the century-mark of championship futility this October?

veeter
04-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I love Marty Brennaman.

bryPt
04-17-2008, 06:43 PM
What a wonderful clip. Once it does hit the web and we can download it, I will be installling it to play when a few users at my place of work when they are logging into their computers. Mr. Brennaman, cheers to you!

FireMariotti
04-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I just listened to it on gameday audio. :worship:Marty Brennaman, thanks for so eloquently stating what the rest of us think. He was dead on in his assessment of Cub fans.

It starts around the 3 hr 3 min mark on last night's reds' radio broadcast, if anyone has gameday audio and wants to listen to it.

DSpivack
04-17-2008, 07:44 PM
I find it interesting too that Marty Brenneman said that while his son was the Cubs pbp guy for a few years in the early 90s.

Railsplitter
04-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I suspect antipathy toward the Cubs is widespread in other NL cities.

Frontman
04-17-2008, 09:21 PM
As annoying as the throwing the home run ball back is to me; this is 20 times worse.

Pitch the original ball back if you feel so compelled to do so. To me, home run balls are something special, hit by your team or not. Think if someone hit one out at USCF, you catch it. Ten years later, that guy goes into the Hall of Fame, and you own one of his home run shots?

To me, why waste it by throwing it back; and doubling down "WHY WASTE YOUR MONEY AT BUYING OTHER BASEBALLS JUST TO THROW BACK?!?!?!"

At least Murph said this was beyond acceptable. I'll give ol' Caterpillar-lip credit when its deserved; he even felt this was over the top.

LongLiveFisk
04-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I suspect antipathy toward the Cubs is widespread in other NL cities.

Oh, I'd say so. In fact, didn't I hear Milwaukee fans not too long ago say they actually missed White Sox fans? Hell, if memory serves, they thought we were total cretins. That alone tells you all you need to know about fans of that other Chicago team. :rolling:

Soxfanspcu11
04-17-2008, 10:05 PM
It's not even debatable.

Unless you live in some other Universe, They are BY FAR the Worst fans in baseball. Probably in all of sports as well.

Frontman
04-17-2008, 10:40 PM
It's not even debatable.

Unless you live in some other Universe, They are BY FAR the Worst fans in baseball. Probably in all of sports as well.

I disagree with that one. Philadelphia Eagles fans are the worst. Anyone who would cheer when a player might suffer a career ending injury like they did when Michael Irvin got hit in Philly back in 1999. I don't care how much you don't like a guy, if he might be paralysed or God forbid dead; on the field and is down? That's really, really low and you'd have to work pretty darn hard to be worse than that.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Here's the audio gang, it's Marty and our old "friend" Jeff Brantley!

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080417-marty-brennaman-chicago-cubs-reds,1,6962881.mp3file

Lip

chisoxfanatic
04-17-2008, 11:21 PM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080417-marty-brennaman-chicago-cubs-reds,1,6962881.mp3file

Lip

Ahahahahahahahaha!!! You da man, Lip!!!

That was absolutely hilarious and true!

Elephant
04-17-2008, 11:27 PM
I was inspired.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ZoSoKarl/roflbot-XC0e.jpg

kittle42
04-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Ahahahahahahahaha!!! You da man, Lip!!!

That was absolutely hilarious and true!

I just sent the link to every Cub fan I know.

Vernam
04-17-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm kind of pissed that they didn't say "Worst Fans in All of Sports." :mad::D:

Vernam

ksimpson14
04-18-2008, 12:06 AM
I think there's a good chance Mariotti uses his piece to give reasons on why Sox fans are the worst in sports. If not, he will probably throw in some negative Sox fan moment reference

chisoxmike
04-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Truly epic. Can anyone get a mp3 so we can download this? I want it for my iPod.

kaufsox
04-18-2008, 12:41 AM
thanks Lip. Oh, man that just doesn't get old. Nice way to go to bed.

chisoxfanatic
04-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Truly epic. Can anyone get a mp3 so we can download this? I want it for my iPod.

That should be archived with the Lee Elia tirade!!!

thanks Lip. Oh, man that just doesn't get old. Nice way to go to bed.

I've listened to it 3 times tonight already! It's my new favorite song!

bryPt
04-18-2008, 07:50 AM
I have it for download on my site so you can keep it, put it on your ipods or torment cub fans everywhere.

Mods, can I post a link to the file here? If I cannot, delete the link below:

http://www.blue-echoes.com/download/wfib.mp3

right click and save as.

hsnterprize
04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
One question...

WHERE'S GROBBER WHEN YOU NEED HIM?!?!?!

Personally, I'd think he'd agree with Marty partially on that assessment. There's no reason why people need to throw baseballs and other garbage on the field when calls don't go their way. It's one thing to boo a call or a bad play...we do that all the time. But throwing baseballs on the field...the first Cub player getting hurt will spell the end of that whole "throwing opponent's home run balls back" tradition completely...

Of at least, the "let's switch the real ball with another one and throw that one back on the field" tradition.

GoSox2K3
04-18-2008, 09:00 AM

Lip

:kneeslap::rolling::roflmao:

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/aboutus/pressroom/presskits/dt/images/cb_zakwheezie.gif
Loooovvvve itttt!!!

rowand33
04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Marty Brennaman is a great man.

rowand33
04-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Cubs fan youtube response:

"These are the type of comments that make me wanna see you get run over by a bus"

later in the video

"these people, calling Cubs fans classless..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_Q7ybeXXZZE

cws05champ
04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Well, it's about time someone in the media just came out and said it!!! I really tire of the cute and cuddly "great" fan base of the Cubs. They have alot of die hard fans and it is too bad they get lumped in with the asshats that sit in the bleachers.
It is well known now, that if you want to watch a game, you do not sit in the bleachers at Wrigley. There is so many other ancillary things going on out there you can not pay attention to the game....and I think that's the way people there like it. Pathetic.

Also, the link on Chicagosports as it is right now: "New HR Tradition at Wrigley?". How much you want to bet they will change that title....you know, as to not encourage this beahavior.

Viva Medias B's
04-18-2008, 09:31 AM

"These are the type of comments that make me wanna see you get run over by a bus"

later in the video

If a White Sox fan posted something similar to this, we'd be ripped to shreads all over America.

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
If a White Sox fan posted something similar to this, we'd be ripped to shreads all over America.

I'm sure we'll get blamed for the original comments, somehow.

Frontman
04-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Youtube,

Where the moronic can make videos that remind us of those that used to accompany manefestos about what's wrong with society.

Now, the videos themselves clearly illustrate the problem with society. The moronic having access to technology.

Anyone who tries to defend this behavior is going to come across as a moron to anyone with a brain.

"It's tradition."

No, you MORON; it was tradition to throw back the home run ball itself. Even your unoffical leader of Cub-Nation Fandom, Mike Murphy; is annoyed with you.

Simply put, keep acting like the turds you are out there in the bleachers. When you get tossed from the ballpark for "tradition" maybe you guys will finally learn that the point of baseball and attending a game is TO WATCH THE GAME, not throw batting practice home run balls back into the field of play.

ChiSoxPatF
04-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Well, it's about time someone in the media just came out and said it!!! I really tire of the cute and cuddly "great" fan base of the Cubs. They have alot of die hard fans and it is too bad they get lumped in with the asshats that sit in the bleachers.

I couldn't agree with you more. I avoided Wrigley for 24 years and finally had a group of friends convince me to "experience Wrigley." I gave in after a few months of badgering and went to the game.

I bought a beer, wore neutral colors, kept my mouth shut, and kept score. In the eighth, my friends told the group of guys next to us that I was a Sox fan - they threw beer and nachos at me, cursing in front of a family in front of me (also hitting them with the beer and nachos too), and basically forced all of us to leave.

Not only does this exemplify the classlessness of many (not all) Cubs fans, but it shows the utter hypocrisy with which the two fanbases are treated. I will never return to that ****hole and I no longer have any problem with criticizing Cubs fans.

SoxGirl4Life
04-18-2008, 11:11 AM
I will never return to that ****hole and I no longer have any problem with criticizing Cubs fans.

I've only been there once (on protest) because of a work function. It was a skybox, so I didn't have to deal with the random stupidity I saw in the stands. The banking people couldn't believe I'd never been there. When I told them I was a die-hard Sox fan (this was in the '05 season, mind you), they looked at me like I was crazy. But seeing as they had to be nice, because I was their customer, they didn't say anything.

alohafri
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
You know, maybe it is going to take someone hitting the latest "Jesus", Fukadome getting hit in the back of the head for someone to finally step up and say, "hey, this 'tradition' can get someone hurt."

Gavin
04-18-2008, 11:16 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. I avoided Wrigley for 24 years and finally had a group of friends convince me to "experience Wrigley." I gave in after a few months of badgering and went to the game.

I bought a beer, wore neutral colors, kept my mouth shut, and kept score. In the eighth, my friends told the group of guys next to us that I was a Sox fan - they threw beer and nachos at me, cursing in front of a family in front of me (also hitting them with the beer and nachos too), and basically forced all of us to leave.

Not only does this exemplify the classlessness of many (not all) Cubs fans, but it shows the utter hypocrisy with which the two fanbases are treated. I will never return to that ****hole and I no longer have any problem with criticizing Cubs fans.

Hmmm... I went to the game on Wednesday with a Reds shirt on. My sister and her boyfriend (sis-Sox, bf-Cubs) were there too. My sister made it known that we're Sox fans and southsiders to the guy next to her and he didn't seem to instantly start hating us.. just friendly ribbing.

I guess your mileage varies in that aspect.

I will say that there are a LOT of trashy Cubs fans. It's amazing that us Sox fans get the reputation we do...

twentywontowin
04-18-2008, 11:21 AM
My experiences at Wrigley have been positive for the most part besides some good natured ribbing. Had several Cubs fans even compliment me on my 1985 Fisk jersey.

Worst thing that happened was in 2006, I had some free tickets to a Cubs/Cardinals Sunday night game in April, and some idiot was ripping into the girl I was with because she was wearing her Florida Gators hoodie. Go figure.

Scottzilla
04-18-2008, 11:23 AM
I honestly believe that the cubs fans are worse, if only because they are the "more popular" team and the mob mentality draws more idiots to them.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I never thought that I would like anything coming out of Jeff Brantley's mouth but that clip with Marty Brenneman and Brantley is priceless.

It's a non-biased testimony to everything that we have all been saying. I need to find the Lee Elia tirade on MP3 then I will create the greatest playlist ever made!

Uncle_Patrick
04-18-2008, 11:38 AM

later in the video

He sure is making a strong case for Brennaman's comments.

Law11
04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
One of my favorite shirts.

LongLiveFisk
04-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I was inspired.

Good observation, and how ironic that the one gets magnified to the significance of 39,000 on one side of town, while on the other 39,000 is somehow reduced to the significance of only one.

Such hypocrisy in this town. :rolleyes:

sullythered
04-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm no square, and I enjoy drinking and having fun. Sometimes even to excess, but I don't bother or harass anybody. That said, this is how my personal experience of pro sports in this town breaks down:

Sox games, Hawks games, Bulls games: I've been to hundreds without any real problems.

Bears games, Cubs games: I've been to a handful (and I love the Bears) and have experienced awful behavior every single time.

kittle42
04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Bears games, Cubs games: I've been to a handful (and I love the Bears) and have experienced awful behavior every single time.

Can't beat NFL fan idiocy. Went to a Bears/Saints game in Chambana. My girlfriend at the time was a Saints fan, so she was cheering (not in an annoying way) for the Saints. The ******* Bears fans in our row would be total pricks the couple of time she needed to get up to go to the bathroom. Of course, no one else reecived similar treatment.

That season (I had season tix as an Illinois law student) more than anything soured me on the Bears forever.

Uncle_Patrick
04-18-2008, 12:44 PM
A friend of mine at work is a huge Cubs fan, but after sitting in the bleachers during the second game this year, he said he didn't think he could ever go back to Wrigley. People around him were drunk, as he said, knew nothing about about baseball, and cussed non-stop.

sox1970
04-18-2008, 12:57 PM
A friend of mine at work is a huge Cubs fan, but after sitting in the bleachers during the second game this year, he said he didn't think he could ever go back to Wrigley. People around him were drunk, as he said, knew nothing about about baseball, and cussed non-stop.

What did he expect from a bunch of frat boys and trixies that think they're living in an episode of Entourage?

itsnotrequired
04-18-2008, 01:06 PM
People around him were drunk, as he said, knew nothing about about baseball, and cussed non-stop.

Eh, I've experienced the same at The Cell.

:shrug:

jenn2080
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Sounds like the people who were sitting behind me last week at the Sox game. I had to tell them to shut up because they were ridiculous.

Dan Mega
04-18-2008, 01:17 PM

Right on cue. :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
04-18-2008, 01:24 PM
In the newspaper today Cub management is quoted as saying they still want to allow the throwing back of the original home run balls hit into the bleachers but want to clamp down on throwing out the other ones

?????

:rolleyes:

And the "difference" is exactly what? You are not supposed to throw ANY objects on the field.

The Cubs find themselves between a rock and a hard place now. They allowed that garbage to continue, now they can't stop it because they are worried about pissing off their fan base.

My heart bleeds for them.

Lip

Jerko
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
fark has a thread on this, and the audio clip. Of course, the most compelling response was an attendance analysis and comparison. :rolleyes:

Oblong
04-18-2008, 01:44 PM
The only people more annoying than "Throw it back" group are those that wave on the cell phone behind the plate and the ones who try to start the wave.

Do the fans think the HR won't count if they throw the ball back? Ever see the goofy smile on their face after doing it. Like they accomplished something.

Call me elitist but when I hear an alleged baseball fan say "Man, I just have got to go see a baseball game at Wrigley at some point" I just assume that they're not really a baseball fan.

itsnotrequired
04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Right on cue. :rolleyes:

Dan Mega is the worst Sox fan in the History of the Universe.

kaufsox
04-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Call me elitist but when I hear an alleged baseball fan say "Man, I just have got to go see a baseball game at Wrigley at some point" I just assume that they're not really a baseball fan.

You're an elitist:D: Actually I don't think it has anything to do with your class bias, more your fan bias (bougeois pigdog), evidenced by being on this board. I understand why someone from out of town wants to see a game at Wrigley. It's one of the oldest sports venues left in the US and just from a historical perspective alone it has an appeal. When someone says that, however, I tell them to be prepared to be disappointed, unless their idea of fun is a frat party in a rundown warehouse, then by all means, enjoy.

Dan Mega
04-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Dan Mega is the worst Sox fan in the History of the Universe.

Get it right, its second worst.

itsnotrequired
04-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Get it right, its second worst.

Let's discuss it further and after that time, if you still don't agree with me, we'll argue some more.

Frontman
04-18-2008, 02:18 PM
The only people more annoying than "Throw it back" group are those that wave on the cell phone behind the plate and the ones who try to start the wave.

Do the fans think the HR won't count if they throw the ball back? Ever see the goofy smile on their face after doing it. Like they accomplished something.

"I've been saying this for years. If you don't want the ball, give it to a kid nearby. They'll take it home and appreciate it."
:farmer

Viva Medias B's
04-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Murph's "Tool of the Week" segment just ended. You'll never guess who won it this week!

VeeckAsInWreck
04-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Murph's "Tool of the Week" segment just ended. You'll never guess who won it this week!

Is Murph eligible to award it to himself?

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I've narrowed it down to the jigsaw and phillips head screwdriver :duck:

chaerulez
04-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I was inspired.

To be fair, there were two morons that night (him and his son) and the ball throwing was what, 15-20 morons? Of course there were probably way more morons in the stands than just those people, but I don't think it's fair to generalize 39,000 people over the actions of less than 30 people. Just like it's not fair to generalize the entire attendance at the Cell because of what that asshat Ligue did.

The funny thing about the Cub fans getting in a uproar about this is also that Brennaman actually said he doesn't mind the home run ball toss back because it was "tradition". He just found it classless that multiple balls were being thrown everywhere and the game was being delayed as a result. I think throwing a ball back is stupid, why wouldn't you want to keep a ball that was in play in a real MLB game?

Irishsox1
04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Here is Brennaman's actual call from the Cubs/Reds game:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9Kso9q_Ws

Viva Medias B's
04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I missed B&B yesterday. I know they played Marty's comments, but what was their take on what he said?

thomas35forever
04-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Lou and DeRosa are defending the fans.:rolleyes:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080418&content_id=2546367&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

jenn2080
04-18-2008, 02:52 PM
I was inspired.

Neither situations are right, but the guys attacking the coach is worst in my opinion. No one was attacked at the Cubs game.

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Lou and DeRosa are defending the fans.:rolleyes:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080418&content_id=2546367&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
"Obviously, he has some deep-seated hatred for Chicago." -DeRosa.

No, just jackass fans who throw objects onto the field for no real reason endangering other fans and players, holding up the game, and generally being a bunch of idiots.

thomas35forever
04-18-2008, 03:01 PM
"Obviously, he has some deep-seated hatred for Chicago." -DeRosa.

No, just jackass fans who throw objects onto the field for no real reason endangering other fans and players, holding up the game, and generally being a bunch of idiots.
True. Did he say he hates White Sox fans? No. Did he include true Cubs fans in his comments? No. Was he talking about the idiots who have turned going to Cubs games into 81 frat parties a year and think they're above rules? Yes.

Someone should pitch in and send Marty some Sox tickets.

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2008, 03:06 PM
True. Did he say he hates White Sox fans? No. Did he include true Cubs fans in his comments? No. Was he talking about the idiots who have turned going to Cubs games into 81 frat parties a year and think they're above rules? Yes.

Someone should pitch in and send Marty some Sox tickets.
We've been saying this **** for years. Does that mean we get tickets too? :D:

Chicken Dinner
04-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Throwing a "fake" ball on the field is as bad as throwing anything else. The situation will get worse if it's allowed to continue. Those ****ers need to be put in jail.

Interesting comments here:

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080416110027AAGPqy0

DaBears
04-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Sounds like the people who were sitting behind me last week at the Sox game. I had to tell them to shut up because they were ridiculous.

Same here... I was there on Monday (lovely half price night brings out the best fans:rolleyes:) sitting in my buddies seats, which are amazing (8 rows behind on deck circle). Anyways, these 3 drunk guys wander over and sit in the open row behind us. Obviously they didnt belong in the seats, but we let 'em be. The **** they were saying was hilarious/annoying at the same time. One of them said "Man it's dark out!".... um no **** sherlock, it's 8:30 at night! The same guy also kept chanting "Let's go Cubs, er Sox!" Another guy kept waving a sign around that simply said "OfficeDepot" on it, and he kept chanting "Let's Go OfficeDepot!"

This went on for a few innings until one of them caught a Chevrolet Pride Crew t-shirt, then decided he would have is own fun with the shirt and offer it to fans in the section. This prompted the security guard to come down and ask for a ticket. Needless to say, HE (was) GONE! The section booed the security guard, but I gave him a nice round of applause:bandance:

doublem23
04-18-2008, 03:11 PM

You're an elitist. I dislike the Cubs as much as anyone else, but I'm taking Ms. Doub to a game there this summer - she never really got into baseball until we started dating, and so she's never been to a game there. There are only 2 Jewel Box stadiums left, and the Red Sox are working as hard as they can to destroy Fenway, so everyone should see at least 1 Cubs game at Wrigley Field.

Now, after that game, we'll probably not go back for at least as long as it's been since my last Cub game (almost a decade).

Boondock Saint
04-18-2008, 03:11 PM
The Cubs organization is stupid for sending mixed messages to their fans. "It's okay to throw item A onto the field when you're pissed about one thing, but don't throw item B onto the field when you're pissed about the other thing."

Brilliant.

Frontman
04-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I missed B&B yesterday. I know they played Marty's comments, but what was their take on what he said?

Pretty much the same as everyone else. That type of behavior is moronic, inexcusable, etc.

thomas35forever
04-18-2008, 03:17 PM
This went on for a few innings until one of them caught a Chevrolet Pride Crew t-shirt, then decided he would have is own fun with the shirt and offer it to fans in the section. This prompted the security guard to come down and ask for a ticket. Needless to say, HE (was) GONE! The section booed the security guard, but I gave him a nice round of applause:bandance:
I was at Comiskey last year with a Cubs fan. We both signed up for info about a Chevy so we could get free T-shirts. We got them, but he threw his never-worn brand-new shirt in the trash outside the park. What a waste.

spiffie
04-18-2008, 03:20 PM
You're an elitist. I dislike the Cubs as much as anyone else, but I'm taking Ms. Doub to a game there this summer - she never really got into baseball until we started dating, and so she's never been to a game there. There are only 2 Jewel Box stadiums left, and the Red Sox are working as hard as they can to destroy Fenway, so everyone should see at least 1 Cubs game at Wrigley Field.

Now, after that game, we'll probably not go back for at least as long as it's been since my last Cub game (almost a decade).
I agree with this. I think anyone who really loves baseball should see ONE game at Wrigley Field. For all the **** we give the fans and the stadium, all of it well deserved I might add, it is a historic place. There simply aren't many of the old stadiums left, and it is worth going to see.

Of course, I never recommend taking in a SECOND game there unless you're a masochist.

bryPt
04-18-2008, 03:26 PM
B & B just reported that an outfielder that was playing a Fukodome triple just now got a beer bath from a fan.

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2008, 03:29 PM
B & B just reported that an outfielder that was playing a Fukodome triple just now got a beer bath from a fan.
:rolling: Best fans in baseball I tell ya! :rolleyes:

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Throwing a "fake" ball on the field is as bad as throwing anything else. The situation will get worse if it's allowed to continue. Those ****ers need to be put in jail.

Interesting comments here:

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080416110027AAGPqy0
Gotta love the "live in the present" defense Cub fans use when we mention 2005. When they win their first World series in over a century, I'm going to be the guy 3 years later that tells them they can no longer talk about it. :rolleyes:

ChiSoxGirl
04-18-2008, 03:40 PM
I have it for download on my site so you can keep it, put it on your ipods or torment cub fans everywhere.

Mods, can I post a link to the file here? If I cannot, delete the link below:

http://www.blue-echoes.com/download/wfib.mp3

right click and save as.

Man, that's epic! :bandance: Thanks for sharing!

Frontman
04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Gotta love the "live in the present" defense Cub fans use when we mention 2005. When they win their first World series in over a century, I'm going to be the guy 3 years later that tells them they can no longer talk about it. :rolleyes:

I love the moron with the Ned Flanders avatar (must look like Murph there) that the bleachers are "theirs" and you "take your chances" sitting out there if not a Cubs fan.

As Ron Burgundy would put it:

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/ron-burgundy-3717.jpg
"Stay classy Northsiders."

It's Dankerific
04-18-2008, 03:44 PM

I can safely assure you than neither you, nor I will be alive to ever have to worry about such things.

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2008, 03:46 PM
I can safely assure you than neither you, nor I will be alive to ever have to worry about such things.
I nearly threw that in but didn't want to jinx my lifespan :smile:

It's Time
04-18-2008, 03:56 PM
This will now turn into a national story and you can bet that Brennaman will be labled a whiny loser, while the Cubs fans are labled as passionate.

Harry Chappas
04-18-2008, 03:58 PM
The only time I venture into Wrigley is when the Sox are playing the Cubs. After the abuse I took last year, I'm done with it. The fans immediately around us were, for the most part, okay. A little humorous ribbing but nothing too bad. Then the guy in front of us, who spent most of the first six innings sending e-mails on his Blackberry, wheeled around after Lee's slam and started calling us South Side trash. Funny, because I grew up in Arlington Heights and have lived on the Northside for the last 16 years.

While we were heading down Sheffield, a group of about a dozen guys blocked our path (it was just me and another guy). One of them shoved my friend and told us to "go back to Alsip." I'm all for a little give and take, but the Cubs fan seem to hang their hates on things that have nothing to do with baseball.

In summary, it's not worth the trouble to go see the Sox at Wrigley.

spiffie
04-18-2008, 04:08 PM
The only time I venture into Wrigley is when the Sox are playing the Cubs. After the abuse I took last year, I'm done with it. The fans immediately around us were, for the most part, okay. A little humorous ribbing but nothing too bad. Then the guy in front of us, who spent most of the first six innings sending e-mails on his Blackberry, wheeled around after Lee's slam and started calling us South Side trash. Funny, because I grew up in Arlington Heights and have lived on the Northside for the last 16 years.

While we were heading down Sheffield, a group of about a dozen guys blocked our path (it was just me and another guy). One of them shoved my friend and told us to "go back to Alsip." I'm all for a little give and take, but the Cubs fan seem to hang their hates on things that have nothing to do with baseball.

Whenever I see the bleachers at Wrigley full of people I'm amazed Judge Smails had so many kids.

Meixner007
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Whenever I see the bleachers at Wrigley full of people I'm amazed Judge Smails had so many kids.

They've been getting nothing and liking it for 100 years now.

FielderJones
04-18-2008, 04:34 PM

Yeah, I love how the World Series Championship (2005) is living in the past, and then they bring up Ligue, Ligue, Ligue (2002). Which is it Flub fans?

Uncle_Patrick
04-18-2008, 04:38 PM
This will now turn into a national story and you can bet that Brennaman will be labled a whiny loser, while the Cubs fans are labled as passionate.

According to this guy: http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/oddballs/2008/04/obnoxious-ill-g.html

it was just a well-executed practical joke and Brennaman is overreacting.

russ99
04-18-2008, 04:41 PM
According to this guy: http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/oddballs/2008/04/obnoxious-ill-g.html

Hm, was the drunk chick throwing a ball at Jacque Jones a few years ago a "well-executed practical joke?"

I'm just happy that the term "trash-throwing" made it into the Sun-Times today referring to stereotypical Cubs fans. The only problem is the bleacher crowd has gotten so bad that the stereotypes are looking closer to reality...

Chicken Dinner
04-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Like when Lou went on his rampage and this was the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GU5VBzmupI

Ziggy S
04-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I suspect antipathy toward the Cubs is widespread in other MLB cities.

Is this what you meant?

Bucky F. Dent
04-18-2008, 10:49 PM
:rolling:

God Bless Marty Brennaman. That clip is priceless.

chisoxfanatic
04-19-2008, 12:02 AM
I agree with this. I think anyone who really loves baseball should see ONE game at Wrigley Field. For all the **** we give the fans and the stadium, all of it well deserved I might add, it is a historic place. There simply aren't many of the old stadiums left, and it is worth going to see.

Of course, I never recommend taking in a SECOND game there unless you're a masochist.

Is there any way we could email the guy? I'd love to send him some kudos.

Lip Man 1
04-19-2008, 12:36 AM
I wrote in to that moron who said this was all a joke.

Basically I said since when is it OK, to disrupt a game, cause potential injury and act like a moron in a public forum?

What gets me though and maybe this is a reflection on society, are the idiots like Dave Kaplan and Mike Murphy who continue to insist this is "nothing," that the villain here is Marty and not the drunken clowns at Wrigley Field.

I mean can the Tribune Company possibly be that stupid that they are willing to risk a multi million dollar lawsuit if a player is seriously hurt or killed or a fan is hurt or killed? Can they actually be that dumb, or am I simply living in a different time when respect was something that most people had?

Some of these people "defending" these drunks must be insane.

Lip

rookie
04-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Like another poster I'm glad that he didn't lump all of us together, but instead said Chicago Cubs Fans.

Also, interesting when he was talking about obnoxious fans, he said that being a NL guy he couldn't speak about Yankee/Red Sox fans. I thought this was funny as well. That despite the media's ignoring of the issue, everyone knows who the most annoying fans are in the baseball world.

My sister's fiancee is a Cubs fan who actually loves baseball. Poor guy. He was with us at the no-hitter last year and you could tell it was a bittersweet experience for him. The baseball side of him respects the Sox, but the Cub side of him loves to talk about attendance and "living in the past." I just say nothing wrong with the past, it gave me one of the best experiences in my life that I will never forget. He usually gets quiet after that. It has to be real sad when the best argument you have is attendance and bars around the park. Wouldn't trade places for the world, even for the fame that comes with being a Cubs fan.

Viva Medias B's
04-19-2008, 12:40 AM

And Terry made an Al Smith reference.

RadioheadRocks
04-19-2008, 12:46 AM

And Terry made an Al Smith reference.

Body On Tap :cool:

(brewed with 1/3 real beer... but don't drink it, just shampoo!)

Lip Man 1
04-19-2008, 12:58 AM
The Al Smith beer bath in game two of the 1959 World Series was accidental... as a fan reaching for Charlie Neal's home run ball knocked over a cup of beer that was resting on the top of the wall.

Find the photograph that was taken at that instant as the ball is sailing into the seats and you see the beer falling with the fans hands reaching for the baseball. His body knocked over the beer as he shifted trying to get the ball. Smith happened to be looking up at the time and got it full in the face.

Jim Landis in his WSI interview said it was one of the funniest damn things he'd ever seen on the field.

Big difference between that and a fan deliberately pouring beer on a player.

Lip

TommyJohn
04-19-2008, 05:39 AM

Basically I said since when is it OK, to disrupt a game, cause potential injury and act like a moron in a public forum?

What gets me though and maybe this is a reflection on society, are the idiots like Dave Kaplan and Mike Murphy who continue to insist this is "nothing," that the villain here is Marty and not the drunken clowns at Wrigley Field.

I mean can the Tribune Company possibly be that stupid that they are willing to risk a multi million dollar lawsuit if a player is seriously hurt or killed or a fan is hurt or killed? Can they actually be that dumb, or am I simply living in a different time when respect was something that most people had?

Some of these people "defending" these drunks must be insane.

Lip

I just read some of the blog entry. My IQ just dropped 40 points. Does he
actually think that Brennaman made the comments out of jealousy? That
seems to be the theme, based also on what Silverman asked Brennaman
on the radio.

Good Lord. What an assclown.

Railsplitter
04-19-2008, 08:23 AM
The Al Smith beer bath in game two of the 1959 World Series was accidental... as a fan reaching for Charlie Neal's home run ball knocked over a cup of beer that was resting on the top of the wall.

Find the photograph that was taken at that instant as the ball is sailing into the seats and you see the beer falling with the fans hands reaching for the baseball. His body knocked over the beer as he shifted trying to get the ball. Smith happened to be looking up at the time and got it full in the face.

Big difference between that and a fan deliberately pouring beer on a player.

I've seen the 1959 Series highlight film. It was clearly an accident and narrator Vin Scully makes the same claim.

alohafri
04-19-2008, 10:48 AM

We were leaving a Sox/cub game on the north side a few years ago, the Sox had won pretty handily. Some guy wearing a cub hat, pushing his kid in a stroller saw me in the back seat and said, "The Sox ****ing suck." I'm thinking to myself, real classy. My buddy, the cub fan, who was driving, yelled back, "They just kicked our ass, so shut the **** up *******." I was never more proud of a cub fan! ;)

Soxman219
04-20-2008, 11:20 AM
We were leaving a Sox/cub game on the north side a few years ago, the Sox had won pretty handily. Some guy wearing a cub hat, pushing his kid in a stroller saw me in the back seat and said, "The Sox ****ing suck." I'm thinking to myself, real classy. My buddy, the cub fan, who was driving, yelled back, "They just kicked our ass, so shut the **** up *******." I was never more proud of a cub fan! ;)

As I read these posts, I keep reminding myself why I'm glad to be a Sox fan. I remember that I did a post he back in June on how Cubs fans are the most ignorant fans in baseball and I think that incident just proved my point. I was at the Cubs-Sox game in 2006 when AJ hit that HR in the 9th. Before that, I was getting verbally abused by Cubs fans, even hearing racial slurs against me and my friends. When AJ hit that HR, they started to throw trash on the field and we were laughing so hard. After the game, the Cub fans that were making fun of us earlier were actually waiting for us outside. Again we were laughing at them because the Cubs lost. One of them said, "Go back to the slums!" One of my friends said "Blow Cubs Blow, in the tune of Go Cubs Go. It started to get heated as fists were flying. I handled my guy pretty well until I got ambushed by two other Cubs fans. I gave him a black eye and I got a minor scar. When we got into the car, we turned on ESPN1000 and heard the postgame show. I'm not sure what he said but he thought the Sox fans threw the trash on the field. We saw first hand that the Cubs fans threw trash. I learned a lesson that day, Cub fans will always get a pass and the media will love them NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!:(:

WSox597
04-20-2008, 12:05 PM
The best thing to happen, would be for the Sox to get white hot and win it all this year, in the infamous 100th anniversary, what could be sweeter?

That would be hilarious. Imagine the whining of Cub fans if that happened. "It's NOT FAIR!! This was OUR year!!"

I'm not predicting such a thing, I just think it would be great on many levels. :D:

There'd be so much garbage on the field in Wrigley they'd turn it into a landfill.

kittle42
04-20-2008, 01:52 PM
As I read these posts, I keep reminding myself why I'm glad to be a Sox fan. I remember that I did a post he back in June on how Cubs fans are the most ignorant fans in baseball and I think that incident just proved my point. I was at the Cubs-Sox game in 2006 when AJ hit that HR in the 9th. Before that, I was getting verbally abused by Cubs fans, even hearing racial slurs against me and my friends. When AJ hit that HR, they started to throw trash on the field and we were laughing so hard. After the game, the Cub fans that were making fun of us earlier were actually waiting for us outside. Again we were laughing at them because the Cubs lost. One of them said, "Go back to the slums!" One of my friends said "Blow Cubs Blow, in the tune of Go Cubs Go. It started to get heated as fists were flying. I handled my guy pretty well until I got ambushed by two other Cubs fans. I gave him a black eye and I got a minor scar. When we got into the car, we turned on ESPN1000 and heard the postgame show. I'm not sure what he said but he thought the Sox fans threw the trash on the field. We saw first hand that the Cubs fans threw trash. I learned a lesson that day, Cub fans will always get a pass and the media will love them NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!:(:

Sox fans going to Wrigley and fighting gives all Sox fans a bad name.

kba
04-20-2008, 03:29 PM

I agree totally, and think this IS a reflection of our increasingly narcissistic society. For generations, fans were content to go to the ballpark and watch the game on the field. Now, some seem to think they have a right to be part of the entertainment.

jabrch
04-20-2008, 03:50 PM
It is a shame that a lot of very good Cubs fans get soiled by the thousands of idiots who come to the park.

IceczMan
04-20-2008, 04:08 PM
It is a shame that a lot of very good Cubs fans get soiled by the thousands of idiots who come to the park.

Yes and No. I agree that there numerous, true Cubs fans that do not partake in the moronic behavior at has occurred at the park, and I could be missing something here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but where is the outcry from these true fans?

I went to the game against the Pirates on Friday when some idiot tried to cover Nate McLoeth with beer. When the security showed up, no one in either section next to the guy wanted to point him out, with most actually cheering him after the security fortunately found him and ejected him. I would like to think that most of those people wouldnt be stupid enough to throw beer themselves, but they didnt seem to have any problem with it.

The same mentality seems to go for the organization too. It is great to see that the Cubs pulled those horribly racist shirts from being sold, but where is official condeming of the delay caused by the balls, or garbage, etc.

It would be nice to see an official announcement from someone in the organization before a game to warn fans about throwing things onto the field.

Didnt the Red Wings have some stadium rule in effect during the playoffs a couple years back, that they would get a minor penalty if fans delayed the game with octopuss? Not a horrible thing if the Cubs got an out or something everytime their fanbase did something stupid to delay the game or put opposing players in danger.

Frontman
04-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Sports fans going to any ballpark and fighting gives all fans a bad name.

I can't stand nasty behavior of any fan. Sox/Cubs/Bears/Yanks/SAWKS/ whatever.

When you still act as if you're an underage drinker and "Come on, lighten up; just have fun" when doing wrong (like fighting, swearing, being ignorant, etc) is the problem with sportsfans in general.

The best part of being a fan is enjoying the team; not taking the advantage of the day to be a moron and do things that could wind up with someone getting hurt or going to jail.

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2008, 05:02 PM
It's just too bad it took Marty B's comments and the national press it got to wake up the Cubs organization that there is a problem. :scratch:

Frontman
04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
It's just too bad it took Marty B's comments and the national press it got to wake up the Cubs organization that there is a problem. :scratch:

Considering the national media kept the legend of how great they are for losing for so long; no it doesn't surprise me in the least it took a this level of reaction for the people running the Cubs to notice they have an issue on their hands that they need to address.

Lip Man 1
04-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Outside of a few statements in public by the Cubs I haven't seen any real level of commitment to get the problem under control.

I told that to Rick Morrissey. My feeling is that if the Cubs wanted to actively do something about the drinking, fighting, moronic behavior at Wrigley Field they would have done so.

I mean how much warning do they need? The Dodger bullpen brawl, Randy Myers, Bobby Howry...yet it still continues.

They don't want to be seen cracking down because they don't want to risk losing revenue for getting a portion of the fan base angry.

I've already passed along comments from two members of the Chicago media this week that I've discussed this with. At least they both clearly condemned things although both asked that I keep their identities to myself. And I'll honor that request.

Lip

kittle42
04-20-2008, 06:42 PM
My feeling is that if the Cubs wanted to actively do something about the drinking, fighting, moronic behavior at Wrigley Field they would have done so.

They don't want to be seen cracking down because they don't want to risk losing revenue for getting a portion of the fan base angry.

Bingo. They won't crack down on it because it's what makes them money.

Viva Medias B's
04-20-2008, 09:53 PM
You know, suppose a incident at Wrigley Field occurs the next time a Cubs home game is on Sunday Night Baseball. Suppose Jon Miller and Joe Morgan make comments similar to what Brennamen said, albeit they probably would be more benign. It would take that to get the rest of the country (and, perhaps, the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc.) to see how serious this problem is.

itsnotrequired
04-20-2008, 10:09 PM
You know, suppose a incident at Wrigley Field occurs the next time a Cubs home game is on Sunday Night Baseball. Suppose Jon Miller and Joe Morgan make comments similar to what Brennamen said, albeit they probably would be more benign. It would take that to get the rest of the country (and, perhaps, the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc.) to see how serious this problem is.

I doubt it. Remember the Sox-Cubs game from Wrigley when dudes threw all those cups on the field? That game was on FOX and after a couple weeks, no one cared about it anymore.

Chicken Dinner
04-20-2008, 10:24 PM
I doubt it. Remember the Sox-Cubs game from Wrigley when dudes threw all those cups on the field? That game was on FOX and after a couple weeks, no one cared about it anymore.

Wasn't that the Dempster blown save. :D:

petekat
04-21-2008, 01:55 AM
That's a great. Maybe we can start a campaign of Sox fans who show their support for the Reds radio team, by rooting for the Reds when they come into town....

Just turned on Mike Murphy, whom I can't stand, but I need to stay awake, so I can't listen to Mike Tireco(sp.) Anyway, Murph is a HUGE lather about comments made by Marty Brennaman during the Cubs v. Reds game last night. The fans tossed something like 12-18 baseballs on to the field prompting Brennaman to say among other things, "This is why Cubs fans are the worst in baseball." and "Everyone picking them to win the division, and I say I truly hope not." and "and when they lose, which they will" and the color man added "they will have no one to boo but themselves." Prompting Marty to say, "oh they won't do that. It's never there fault. They'll blame a goat" Colorman: "to blame a goat for that long of a losing streak is just stupid."

I, admittedly, am doing this from memory so if one of the more technically savvy folks can find a link to the sound bite you will not be disappointed. It was hilarious and dead-on. I think I have a new favorite radio team.:D:

WhiteSox5187
04-21-2008, 02:15 AM
The Cubs organization is stupid for sending mixed messages to their fans. "It's okay to throw item A onto the field when you're pissed about one thing, but don't throw item B onto the field when you're pissed about the other thing."

Brilliant.
Maybe I'm a simple minded fool, well, there is no doubt about that, but I don't mind the tradition of throwing the home run ball back. It is something that is unique to Wrigley and I didn't particularly mind it, however it has now gotten out of hand. The whole bleacher experience has gotten out of hand. ****, the whole Wrigley experience has gotten out of hand. I was an usher for both the Cubs and the Sox and loathed working in the bleachers, because inevitably a fight would break out and inevitably it would take our eighty year old security guards about twenty minutes to get down there...just awful. As Lip has said, somebody is going to wind up getting hurt or getting sued before this stops.

Viva Medias B's
04-21-2008, 08:37 AM
YouTube provides plenty of evidence supporting Marty's claims.

Stringer
04-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Those Marty Bernnamann YouTube videos are hilarious.

PatK
04-21-2008, 10:03 AM

Same with my girlfriend. Although she likes the Sox, she really is more of a Cubs fan.

But after going to a game this year, then going to last Saturday's game against Detroit, she said she's not sure if she wants to go to another Cub game this year, or ever.

Mainly because of the fans. She said they were so obnoxious, rude, and harassing of her (trying to pick her up and when spurning people, being called a lesbian, for example) that she doesn't really care to go there again, even if she only goes 1 or 2 times a season.

Scottzilla
04-21-2008, 11:20 AM

From now on i will call the cubs the The Chicago Fighting Obnoxious Unicorn Fairy Princesses!

Soxfanspcu11
04-21-2008, 03:59 PM

There may be some similarities but We do NOT trash the field every time something goes against us.

The only time that I recall Sox fans trashing the field was during that huge brawl with detoilet in 2000. And even that wasn't intentionally trashing the field, it was more of a 'throw things at detoilet players' kind of thing.

During the Sox/scrubs fight in May of 2006, My friend, caught up in the moment, was about to launch his beer on the field. Myself and the fans around us grabbed him before he could do it. We told him how we dont do that kind of bull**** here. After the situation chilled out, he turned to Me and the other fans and thanked us for stopping him and admitting that the emotion of the moment nearly got to him. You would NEVER see that at the urinal.

lukeman89
04-21-2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/901817,CST-SPT-gordo18.article

what a nice creative, heart-warming idea for a fanbase to welcome a highly touted new player with potential super stardom to the team and town

oeo
04-21-2008, 04:11 PM

what a nice creative, heart-warming idea for a fanbase to welcome a highly touted new player with potential super stardom to the team and town

Who didn't see it coming?

Just wait until he hits a slump and the racial slurs start.

WizardsofOzzie
04-21-2008, 04:32 PM

Definitely saw it coming after seeing how they treated Jacque Jones

kittle42
04-21-2008, 04:35 PM

I agree, but here's one where I'll have to at least offer a comparison - if you want to hear some bigotry, the bleachers at the Cell are fertile ground, as well.

Uncle_Patrick
04-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I agree, but here's one where I'll have to at least offer a comparison - if you want to hear some bigotry, the bleachers at the Cell are fertile ground, as well.

Very true. Unfortunately, the morons at the Cell aren't much different from the morons on Wrigley in that respect.

Foulke You
04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Wasn't that the Dempster blown save. :D:
It sure was! What a great game that was. I wish I was at that one to see the look on the Cubs faithful as the ball sailed on to Sheffield:
http://chicagoist.com/attachments/chicago_benjy/2006_06_sports_pierzynski.jpg

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-21-2008, 05:42 PM
It sure was! What a great game that was. I wish I was at that one to see the look on the Cubs faithful as the ball sailed on to Sheffield:
http://chicagoist.com/attachments/chicago_benjy/2006_06_sports_pierzynski.jpg

Flame me for it...but that moment was ALMOST better than winning the world series...man was that awesome....

Foulke You
04-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Flame me for it...but that moment was ALMOST better than winning the world series...man was that awesome....
It was an awesome regular season moment given the crosstown circumstances but sorry Pear Zin Ski, it doesn't compare to any of the 2005 postseason memories for me by a longshot.

kittle42
04-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Yeah, you gotta be flamed on that one.

santo=dorf
04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Ever notice how Cub fans says Sox fans care more about beating them than winning the World Series?

http://www.edward-norton.org/images/reddragon/flamingstunt.jpg<----YOU

WizardsofOzzie
04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
No...not even close

bryPt
04-22-2008, 02:41 PM
how do we get Mike Murphy off the Sox flagship station? This guy sucks the life out of the station, I can't even listen to him as white noise while I am working. what is wrong with Mully and Hanley for 4 hours? Geez, dead air would be better.

Rocky Soprano
04-22-2008, 02:45 PM

I'm ashamed for you.
I for one do not understand "Sox fans" that live to see the Cubs lose.

I can't imagine why in the world you would rather see the Sox beat the Cubs in a regular season game than seeing the Sox win the World Series!

WhiteSox5187
04-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Very true. Unfortunately, the morons at the Cell aren't much different from the morons on Wrigley in that respect.
You can hear a lot of dumb racist statements in almost every stadium...especially the bleachers.

spiffie
04-23-2008, 02:22 PM
I was at Wrigley Field the day AJ hit that homer. It was awesome.

I was at USCF the night Podsednik hit the HR off of Lidge to win Game 2 of the World Series. That was 10000x more awesome.

AJ's homerun was probably my favorite baseball memory from the 2006 season. Podsednik's HR is one of the 2-3 most wonderful memories of my entire life. The gap between those two things is massive.