PDA

View Full Version : Billy Butler thinks he's Manny Ramirez

Whitesox029
04-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Did anyone else see the Billy Butler play from the Royals-Angels game yesterday? He hit a popup to the first baseman with a man on 1st and one out (no infield fly rule, as the discerning baseball fan will note). Instead of running it out, he just kind of took it for granted and half-assedly trotted out of the box. Casey Kotchman sees this, meanwhile and lets the ball drop, steps on first, and gets the runner caught between first and second for the DP. :rolleyes:
Very good heads-up play by Kotchman. As for Butler, that kind of play isn't even acceptable if you're Manny Ramirez, in my book, much less some scrub platooning in KC. I wouldn't be surprised if he sits out for a week after that.

Jjav829
04-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Did anyone else see the Billy Butler play from the Royals-Angels game yesterday? He hit a popup to the first baseman with a man on 1st and one out (no infield fly rule, as the discerning baseball fan will note). Instead of running it out, he just kind of took it for granted and half-assedly trotted out of the box. Casey Kotchman sees this, meanwhile and lets the ball drop, steps on first, and gets the runner caught between first and second for the DP. :rolleyes:
Very good heads-up play by Kotchman. As for Butler, that kind of play isn't even acceptable if you're Manny Ramirez, in my book, much less some scrub platooning in KC. I wouldn't be surprised if he sits out for a week after that.

That scrub platooning in KC is going to be one of the better hitters in the league for a long time.

rdwj
04-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Wow - that is unforgivable.

JermaineDye05
04-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the bigs. He's going to be a great hitter though.

fquaye149
04-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Has this happened to Manny Ramirez recently? :?:

It's a stupid play and unforgivable. But that's what kids do. They make mistakes and if the manager's good, he'll ring the guy up.

But like JJav said, this kid's gonna be real ****ing good someday. It's almost as unforgivable that a baseball fan would call the next great hitter in the AL "some scrub"

doublem23
04-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Did he pee in the Kaufman Stadium fountains during a pitching change?

Oblong
04-17-2008, 12:19 PM
He's lucky that Buddy Bell's not his manager anymore. I once watched Bobby Higginson not run out a fly ball that ended up dropping and he could have been at second. There was a new right fielder in the next inning playing for the Tigers.

After that I was always a Bell fan.

WizardsofOzzie
04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
I saw it on sportscenter this morning and laughed my ass off

hi im skot
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I like Manny Ramirez.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I just saw the highlights of that game and KC is looking very good. Ross Gload made a great defensive play at first base and their close Joakim Soria has some nasty stuff. He threw a nasty 66mph curve ball to end the game. KC has already been a thorn in the Sox side, they look to be even more dangerous against us this year.

AL Central has got to be the toughest division in baseball.

Billy Ashley
04-17-2008, 01:26 PM
As others have pointed out, Billy Butler ain't no scrub.

That was a very stupid play though. People make mistakes though, hopefully for his sake he learned from this one.

doublem23
04-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I just saw the highlights of that game and KC is looking very good. Ross Gload made a great defensive play at first base and their close Joakim Soria has some nasty stuff. He threw a nasty 66mph curve ball to end the game. KC has already been a thorn in the Sox side, they look to be even more dangerous against us this year.

AL Central has got to be the toughest division in baseball.

I don't know, with the juggernauts in Boston and New York, plus the hot start from the Orioles, and the pitching in Toronto, the AL East is looking mighty difficult.

chaerulez
04-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Billy Butler is far from a scrub. He's probably already KC's best hitter.

Billy Ashley
04-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't know, with the juggernauts in Boston and New York, plus the hot start from the Orioles, and the pitching in Toronto, the AL East is looking mighty difficult.

I tend to agree with you but I also think Boston and New York may be more vulnerable in terms of pitching that most are willing to admit.

New York needs 200 IP from Kennedy, 150 from Joba and 180 from Hughes. That's a tall order for three young pitchers. They also lack any real depth should Mussina continue to only throw 85 MPH.

Boston on the other hand has to hope that Lester can start throwing strikes. Buchholz also has IP max. Unless Schilling is able to come back in the second half, there 4 and 5 might be pretty weak.

Toronto has very little offense to speak of.

In the end, I think the problems facing New York and Boston are similar to the ones faced by the White Sox, Indians and Tigers. There's just so much talent in the American League right now and not enough good pitching to get around it.

Oh and don't forget about the Rays. They have a system to die for. David Price, Longoria and the rest look simply amazing. It's a good time to be rooting for an NL club... sheeesh.

doublem23
04-17-2008, 04:07 PM
I would say right now, the divisions line up like this:

Elite (can be interchanged for 1/2): AL East, AL Central
Just a hair below: NL West
Above Average: NL East
Average: AL West
Bad: NL Central

Foulke You
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I would say right now, the divisions line up like this:

Elite (can be interchanged for 1/2): AL East, AL Central
Just a hair below: NL West
Above Average: NL East
Average: AL West
Bad: NL Central
I think you are underscoring the AL West a bit. The Angels are better than any team in the NL East or NL West. Their pitching staff is just a bit banged up. I also think the Mariners are a very good team too that is also fighting through some injuries (Bedard). I think either of those two teams could easily win the NL West or NL East, especially the Angels when they get healthy. I will say that the Rangers look pretty bad as usual but even the A's have been hanging in there in that division so far but youth will probably catch up with them. No team in the NL looks like a world beater or a threat to win the World Series to me except for maybe the D'backs because of Haren, Webb, and Randy Johnson. Just my .02.

doublem23
04-17-2008, 04:58 PM
I'd agree with you on the Angels if they were healthy, but right now their pitching staff is in utter disarray. Same with Seattle, they're good, but they're not great.

BTW, I think you are selling the Diamonbacks short. They look like they're going to be very good. Throw in the talent that the Padres, Dodgers, and even Rockies have and that's a tremendously difficult division to play in (Sorry, San Francisco).

Billy Ashley
04-18-2008, 08:46 AM
I'd agree with you on the Angels if they were healthy, but right now their pitching staff is in utter disarray. Same with Seattle, they're good, but they're not great.

BTW, I think you are selling the Diamonbacks short. They look like they're going to be very good. Throw in the talent that the Padres, Dodgers, and even Rockies have and that's a tremendously difficult division to play in (Sorry, San Francisco).

The A's could surprise some people this year but again, you're spot on. The Angels are the only great team in the West (and they're hurting from the injury bug). Seattle has a very good rotation but the rest of the team isn't very good. Texas should be abysmal. So in the AL West you've got one elitish team struggling with injuries, a team that's somewhat overrated in Seattle. A sleeper team in Oakland and an awful team in Texas.

The NL West on the other hand has 3 very solid to excellent teams and one awful club. I would rank the NL East higher if it were not for Washington and Florida as the I think the Mets, Phillies and Braves are all World Series contenders (though the braves are getting ripped up by the injury bug as well)

Thome25
04-18-2008, 09:11 AM
I wonder what Fisk would've said (or done) to him. We all know what happened with Deion Sanders.

JGarlandrules20
04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
In his defense, he said something like he felt he had no place to run with the pitcher/first basemen/baserunner milling around.

He was definitely running out plays yesterday, though.

cws05champ
04-18-2008, 09:56 AM
That was probably the best thing that could have happened to a young player doing that crap. He learned, and you bet it won't happen again. He probably got fined in the kangaroo court for that one!