PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question from Sox-Orioles 4-16

BLRMKRdave
04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Last night the O's had runners on 1st and 3rd with less than 2 outs - batter (I believe L. Scott) had 2 strikes on him. Next pitch the runner on first was stealing and the batter struck out. The O's radio announcers said the pitch was a foul tip caught by A.J. and he did not throw to 2nd.

I did not see video, but does this make sense that the runner is able to steal 2nd on a foul tip strike out? Just wondering. Thanks for any help with this issue.

~BLRMKRdave

fquaye149
04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Foul tip strikeout is just a strikeout.

If AJ had dropped it, the runner would have gone back to first

Tragg
04-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Foul tip strikeout is just a strikeout.

If AJ had dropped it, the runner would have gone back to first
But what if there were only 1 out - can you steal on it? Is it considered a K or a foul out for the purposes of stealing?

fquaye149
04-17-2008, 01:19 PM
But what if there were only 1 out - can you steal on it? Is it considered a K or a foul out for the purposes of stealing?

Strike out.

It's not a foul out unless it goes above the catcher's head or some **** like that.

At any rate think about it like this: If a hitter foul tips it on an 0-1 count is he out or is it 0-2?

If the catcher drops a foul tip it's a dead ball. If he catches it, it's live.

I want Mags back
04-17-2008, 01:32 PM
http://www.soxandthecity.net/site/index.php/User-Generated-Articles/Konerko-Bobby-Valentine-Best-Manager-I-Will-Ever-Play-For.html

TDog
04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
When I was coaching a junior high school baseball team 30 years ago, a parent got into an argument about a stolen base on a foul tip. I was incredulous because I thought the rule was obvious to anyone who watches baseball.

A foul tip that goes straight and direct into the catcher's glove is the same as a swing and a miss. That applies on a strikeout or strike one or strike two, with no outs, one out or two outs.

A dropped foul tip is a foul ball. A caught foul tip cannot be considered a foul ball, because a caught foul ball would be an out.

Hokiesox
04-17-2008, 03:14 PM
A foul tip is a LIVE ball. The definition of foul tip is:

" A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher’s hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher’s glove or hand."

--from Rule 2.00

Further, the umpire sign for foul tip/strike out is rubbing our hands together in a glancing type motion, then signaling the out. It tells the other umpires that the ball is live, and it tells the managers/coaches "yep, I saw it hit the bat, but it's a tip." Good mechanics have a reason behind them.

BLRMKRdave
04-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the responses. Adding a foul tip to trying to throw out a runner (especially with Contreras pitching) has to be tough for A.J.