PDA

View Full Version : Hawk on ESPN 1000

It's Time
04-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I just heard the interview he gave Waddle and Silvy. He is very excited about this team and said that JC might be the key to the season. After his performance last night, I'd say he is correct.

He also said that it's way too early to write off the Tigers or anyone else in the division. He thinks the Royals are very much improved and expects them to win some games, but not the division.

At the end of the interview he talked about both the White Sox and the Cubs. He said that since he has been in Chicago, these two teams have the most legitimate shot at going to the series. Meaning that he hasn't seen both teams as good as they are in the same season.

He's pumped.

skottyj242
04-17-2008, 10:57 AM
It's Time.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2008, 11:06 AM
At the end of the interview he talked about both the White Sox and the Cubs. He said that since he has been in Chicago, these two teams have the most legitimate shot at going to the series. Meaning that he hasn't seen both teams as good as they are in the same season.

He's pumped.

I was just talking about this with a Cub fan friend of mine. I can't remember a time when both teams have started out a season good. I'd love to see a Crosstown World Series, with the Sox winning of course.

Dolanski
04-17-2008, 11:28 AM
He's pumped.

Not to be mean, but when isn't Hawk pumped?

spiffie
04-17-2008, 11:32 AM
I was just talking about this with a Cub fan friend of mine. I can't remember a time when both teams have started out a season good. I'd love to see a Crosstown World Series, with the Sox winning of course.
I don't remember the two starting out this well, but we were within a few weeks of seeing both teams in the playoffs in 2003. On September 9th that year both teams were leading their divisions.

SoxyStu
04-17-2008, 11:36 AM
I just heard the interview he gave Waddle and Silvy. He is very excited about this team and said that JC might be the key to the season. After his performance last night, I'd say he is correct.

Don't give Hawk that much credit; he's a parrot. Coop has been saying JC is the key to this staff all offseason.

asindc
04-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Don't give Hawk that much credit; he's a parrot. Coop has been saying JC is the key to this staff all offseason.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Hawk did not come to that same conclusion on his own.

doublem23
04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
That doesn't necessarily mean that Hawk did not come to that same conclusion on his own.

It's not like he just revealed the theory of relativity, either. Pitching... The key to a successful season? You don't say! :tiphat:

SoxyStu
04-17-2008, 11:43 AM

Oh, so he's finally agreeing with Coop now...

A slow learning parrot that makes.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't remember the two starting out this well, but we were within a few weeks of seeing both teams in the playoffs in 2003. On September 9th that year both teams were leading their divisions.

Yeah I had forgotten about that. I remember reading something about the '77 Cubs and Sox getting off to a strong start but then both faded eventually. I was born that summer so I have no first hand recollection.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 11:59 AM
1977 saw both the Sox and Cubs as legit contenders for most of the season.

Lip

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Lip

I've read about the '77 Sox having no reliable pitching and depending on the long ball but I'm guessing that a billy goat of some sorts is to blame for the Cubs demise that year?

KenBerryGrab
04-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I've read about the '77 Sox having no reliable pitching and depending on the long ball but I'm guessing that a billy goat of some sorts is to blame for the Cubs demise that year?

If that Billy Goat was named Ivan DeJesus, yes.

It's Time
04-17-2008, 12:16 PM

:hawk
"I luuuv it when you analyze".

oeo
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM

I don't think I've ever heard him this excited, and into the games this early in the season before.

The Critic
04-17-2008, 12:27 PM
I think Hawk has a "GET UP! STRETCH" incentive clause in his contract this year.

havelj
04-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Lip

On August 4th, the Sox were up 3 1/2 games on Minnesota and 4 1/2 on K.C. They went 27-31 the rest of the way, and K.C. went on an amazing clip of 44-15 the rest of the way - 12 games back.

damn'!

SoxGirl4Life
04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
On August 4th, the Sox were up 3 1/2 games on Minnesota and 4 1/2 on K.C. They went 27-31 the rest of the way, and K.C. went on an amazing clip of 44-15 the rest of the way - 12 games back.

damn'!

That memory hurt. Thanks.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Have:

Not sure what you're trying to say. Are you saying the Sox weren't "contenders" for most of the season? They had a 6 1/2 game lead after beating K.C. in the first game of a DH at home on July 31st.

Lip

kaufsox
04-17-2008, 12:46 PM
It's fun right now, but my least favorite expression of baseball, "June Swoon" could hit either or both teams. July 4 and its still like this, a season for the ages:D:

Stringer
04-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Hawk talking about AJ and his Nintendo DS was comedy

:lol:

#1swisher
04-17-2008, 04:43 PM

last season...remember after the 7th there would be this long stretch of silence during the broadcast.

Rockman218
04-17-2008, 05:33 PM

Sox win game 7 at the cell!!!:dtroll:

veeter
04-17-2008, 05:38 PM
It's not like he just revealed the theory of relativity, either. Pitching... The key to a successful season? You don't say! :tiphat:This made me chuckle.

Bigfoot38
04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Me(sox fan) and my best friend(cubs fan) were talking on Xbox Live(im away at school) and he brought up the good point, we all may be excited now, detroit cleveland may be struggling... KC and STL may be hot... but its a marathon not a sprint...

It all happens in the last 2 months.. Even if you make the playoffs, but have no momentum it really hurts..

Fight it out through 100 games, turn it on for the last 2.5 months

Bigfoot38
04-17-2008, 05:48 PM
last season...remember after the 7th there would be this long stretch of silence during the broadcast.

ha I remember a couple of summers ago whil mowing the lawn listening to Mac Jurko? and Harry they played a clip of a Sox vs. BAL game where it was dead silent for about 35 seconds

DSpivack
04-17-2008, 07:03 PM
ha I remember a couple of summers ago whil mowing the lawn listening to Mac Jurko? and Harry they played a clip of a Sox vs. BAL game where it was dead silent for about 35 seconds

Last season Hawk would often disappear for half an inning, and I think it was usually the same inning---the 6th, maybe?

BlackHat91
04-18-2008, 04:33 AM
Maybe Hawk took a bathroom break. I remember during a slow game in 05? Hawk was talking about how he drank 4 or 5 Diet Cokes during each game. :o:

I think a crosstown series is about as probable as the Pope showing up and knocking on my front door. And I'm not even a Catholic.

JB98
04-18-2008, 02:49 PM
I think a crosstown series is about as probable as the Pope showing up and knocking on my front door. And I'm not even a Catholic.

I have to agree with that. The Sox and Cubs have never made the playoffs in the same season in recent history, not even since they expanded to eight teams. I would be surprised if they both make the playoffs, let alone both making the World Series.

Really, I think both teams are decent and competitive. I think they'll both be hanging around in the race into the second half. But the odds against a crosstown series are astronomical.

JoeClutch24
04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Maybe Hawk took a bathroom break. I remember during a slow game in 05? Hawk was talking about how he drank 4 or 5 Diet Cokes during each game. :o:

You sure they were diet cokes and not Miller Lite?

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
The Cubs will fall to the Cards like fate usually has it....

And only time will tell if KC and Detroit are flukes or the real deal...I have a real good feeling in my gut (I know this means jack ****) about the good guys this year...all I have to say is that after this harsh winter I was looking forward to baseball season on the southside so damn much and right now Im having a lot of fun with it all....

Go Sox!

NADA SURF
04-18-2008, 08:55 PM
The '77 team more or less relied on the 3-run homer, but they were the most exciting team I've ever seen...Back then, the homer wasn't quite what it is now in the HGH era. They were never dull and Chicago went nuts over them.