PDA

View Full Version : MLB Team Values

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2008, 10:33 AM
White Sox come in at 14 worth 443 million. What did JR buy this team for?

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/33/biz_baseball08_The-Business-Of-Baseball_Rank.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/04/16/forbes.team.values.ap/index.html?eref=si_mlb

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 10:43 AM
I think it was around 14-20 million and that included Comiskey Park.

I'll have to look it up for an exact number but I think that was the range I've always heard.

Lip

skottyj242
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
I think it was around 14-20 million and that included Comiskey Park.

I'll have to look it up for an exact number but I think that was the range I've always heard.

Lip

I thought it was 20.

ChiSoxLifer
04-17-2008, 11:07 AM
$30M in profit? Why isn't Torii manning center field?

Max Power
04-17-2008, 11:09 AM
The White Sox had the second highest one year percentage increase in value (16%; the Rockies increased by 17%).

Chicken Dinner
04-17-2008, 11:17 AM
And the Red Sox win the World Series and still lose 19+ million.

chaerulez
04-17-2008, 11:20 AM
And the Red Sox win the World Series and still lose 19+ million.

I think these numbers are always misleading. For example I don't think they include how much the Red Sox make off NESN and the Yankees with YES. Even a few years back when Selig was whining about how MLB teams weren't turning a profit, reports would come out that the teams juked the numbers to make it appear that way by not listing all the revenue streams.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Chaer:

You are correct. In the book The Lords Of The Realm, John Helyar, the author, went into great detail on how the Braves for example, undercut their own ability to sell the broadcasting rights for more money by not putting them on the open market for bid. It was deliberate because the rights would only go to WTBS, who naturally "bid" less money.

The Braves organization (i.e. Ted Turner) owned both entities so he was getting the money and able to claim legally that he wasn't making money on the Braves in part because he wasn't getting a lot of money for the TV rights.

:rolleyes:

Owners have been pulling this stuff off for decades.

During the 1994 labor impasse that's why they were so furious over the independent Stanford University economist who as part of the negotiations, was chosen by both sides to examine MLB's books.

He stated that no teams were losing money contrary to what Proud To Be Your Bud Selig was saying and used the Braves broadcasting situation as one example.

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
For what it's worth, Sox historian Rich Lindberg in his book "Who's On 3rd" states on page 182 that it was Edward DeBartolo who agreed to pay 20 million for the Sox, not the Reinsdorf-Einhorn group.

Rich doesn't mention what they paid for it but I assume it's only logical to think it was in the same range.

The White Sox media guide doesn't list what the Reinsdorf-Einhorn group paid for the White Sox.

Lip

roylestillman
04-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Tribune articles from the time put the Jerry and Eddie deal at $20 million for the club and the park. Veeck's group had paid $10 million in December of 1975.

Oblong
04-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Interesting that the Marlins have the second highest operating income.

The Immigrant
04-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Interesting that the Marlins have the second highest operating income.

Well, it doesn't take much for them to clear overhead.