PDA

View Full Version : Joe vs. A.J.

JohnnyInnsbrook
04-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't know if any one saw this. After Sun Times write Joe Cowley criticized A.J. for not throwing out enough runners stealing second, Joe was invited to try to steal bases off A.J. at spring training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU8ey5UaL7o

champagne030
04-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I don't know if any one saw this. After Sun Times write Joe Cowley criticized A.J. for not throwing out enough runners stealing second, Joe was invited to try to steal bases off A.J. at spring training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU8ey5UaL7o

That's pretty funny, but he could've walked to 2nd if Jose was on the mound.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-17-2008, 11:24 AM
That's pretty funny, but he could've walked to 2nd if Jose was on the mound.

Konerko trots.

Dolanski
04-17-2008, 11:27 AM
From the video I get the feeling this has been brewing for awhile. AJ takes some great joy in riding Cowley. He gets some mean digs in on him.

And Cowley isn't laughing any of it off, he was serious. He was pretty ticked off at how it went.

EMachine10
04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
He's had to catch the likes of Contreras and Garcia in his time here...I cut him a little slack.

soxinem1
04-17-2008, 11:45 AM
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/joe_cowley_autograph.jpg

'That looked like me running!!!'

oeo
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
He's had to catch the likes of Contreras and Garcia in his time here...I cut him a little slack.

Add Gavin Floyd to that list, now.

JohnnyInnsbrook
04-17-2008, 12:19 PM

I agree

PatK
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
AJ gets a bad rap because of the slow deliveries the Sox pitchers have.

Talk about nitpicking.

NardiIsHere
04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
this is great

rdwj
04-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Just one more reason to love AJ

kaufsox
04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
further proof that professional sports aren't as easy as they look. Joe was kind of douche afterward. Disappointed? C'mon Joe, did you really think you had a shot in hell? At least when Dan Patrick lost his foot race with Mark Grace he laughed about it. Lighten up Joe, you're old and slow.

WhiteSox5187
04-17-2008, 12:59 PM
I dont' get why Joe honestly thought he had a chance, if that were me I'd be laughing the whole time, everytime i got picked off and caught stealing...Although really the better test would be to see if he could steal off of Jose.

BringBackBlkJack
04-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Hilarious. He honestly thought he could beat a throw by an MLB catcher. Sure, all of us criticize players who perform poorly but I would wager that few of us would actually have the audacity to challenge them at the sport they get paid millions to perform -- and expect to prevail nonetheless.

What a tool.

JohnnyInnsbrook
04-17-2008, 01:04 PM
I dont' get why Joe honestly thought he had a chance, if that were me I'd be laughing the whole time, everytime i got picked off and caught stealing...Although really the better test would be to see if he could steal off of Jose.

I'd like to see Joe throw to 2nd from behind the plate.

rdwj
04-17-2008, 01:05 PM
I dont' get why Joe honestly thought he had a chance.

That's what makes the whole thing so funny. He REALLY thought he could get 5 of 10 - lol. How delusional do you have to be to think you can steal 5 of 10 off a professional catcher when he KNOWS it's coming.

Oblong
04-17-2008, 01:25 PM
I thought we've reached the point where it was conventional wisdom that runners steal on the pitcher more than they do on the catcher.

esbrechtel
04-17-2008, 01:35 PM
I thought we've reached the point where it was conventional wisdom that runners steal on the pitcher more than they do on the catcher.
That being said many teams do not steal against Ivan Rodriguez....no matter who is pitching....It is a combination of both, I honestly do not think you can blame one or the other.

skottyj242
04-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Hilarious. He honestly thought he could beat a throw by an MLB catcher. Sure, all of us criticize players who perform poorly but I would wager that few of us would actually have the audacity to challenge them at the sport they get paid millions to perform -- and expect to prevail nonetheless.

What a tool.

People on here seem to think they can do better than Toby Hall.

jenn2080
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
I watched that video and I would like the 10 min back. How stupid.

It's Dankerific
04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
People on here seem to think they can do better than Toby Hall.

No, people think that another professional catcher even one that is currently in the minor leagues COULD do better than Toby Hall.

MarySwiss
04-17-2008, 02:31 PM
I'd like to see Joe throw to 2nd from behind the plate.

THAT would be fun to watch!

russ99
04-17-2008, 02:58 PM
The spot-on pickoff throw by "old man" Kevin Hickey really cracked me up!

I'd think A.J. would talk more trash during and after this if it wasn't filmed...

kaufsox
04-17-2008, 03:16 PM

What were expecting, Citizen Kane?

Zisk77
04-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Bases are stolen off the pitcher, period. A guy like IRod gives the pitchers a little greater margin for error.

They should have really showed how hard it is to throw out runners by having Joe gear up and try to throw out A. J...bet he couldn't.

Luke
04-17-2008, 03:28 PM
I think people fail to realize how absurdly talented one has to be to play at even the lowest level of pro ball, let alone MLB. One of the first things that a catcher is evaluated on is pop time and arm strength, and if you're not among the best at a given level you don't advance.

KenBerryGrab
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
I think people fail to realize how absurdly talented one has to be to play at even the lowest level of pro ball, let alone MLB.

This is entirely true. The behind-the-pitcher camera angle makes hitting look so easy: "How could they miss that pitch? Why did they swing at that ball in the dirt?"

Um, get in the box, pal. See how easy it is.

Oblong
04-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Bases are stolen off the pitcher, period. A guy like IRod gives the pitchers a little greater margin for error.

They should have really showed how hard it is to throw out runners by having Joe gear up and try to throw out A. J...bet he couldn't.

and have a strong guy stand next to him swinging a bat right as he's about to catch the ball.

bryPt
04-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I just noticed that this is on the cover of the Sun Times today. Wish I could view it, but our I.T. guys here at work block streaming media.

Oh wait, I am the I.T. guy doin the blockin....

DickAllen72
04-17-2008, 05:52 PM
And Cowley isn't laughing any of it off, he was serious. He was pretty ticked off at how it went.
If that's true, AJ had better watch his back because Cowley will try to cause trouble for AJ or even run him out of town as soon as he gets a chance.

I remember he tried to blow up a non-story about Carl a few years ago.

Harry Chappas
04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I got to believe that this was done with tongue planted in cheek. I watched it and I didn't get the impression that Cowley was pissed, just exhausted. I seriously doubt he's got a real axe to grind with A.J. and they probably have enjoyed a laugh or two about since.

WizardsofOzzie
04-18-2008, 03:54 PM
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8940/cardpl4.jpg

:D:

Now THAT would have been funny. Spice it up and see if he can throw out Paulie :bandance:

Pear-Zin-Ski
04-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Why must everyone give the Sox a hard time? What more do the guys have to prove other than winning another World Series?

Id trust my life in AJ's hands...I dont think he can do anything better...he's as good as they come....

jabrch
04-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Id trust my life in AJ's hands...I dont think he can do anything better...he's as good as they come....

Um...yeah...right

I like AJ as much as the next guy...as long as the next guy is not you. :-)

It's Dankerific
04-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Why must everyone give the Sox a hard time? What more do the guys have to prove other than winning another World Series?

Um...yeah...right

I like AJ as much as the next guy...as long as the next guy is not you. :-)

It's not like AJ is management!! :D:

Ziggy S
04-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Joe Cowley was a pitcher, which is not exactly a position known for guys that are fleet of foot. Funny stuff, but what the hell was he thinking?

JB98
04-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Joe Cowley was a pitcher, which is not exactly a position known for guys that are fleet of foot. Funny stuff, but what the hell was he thinking?

Different Joe Cowley.