PDA

View Full Version : Sox Talk on Mike and Mike...

bigsoxfan420
04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Did anyone catch Will Perdue and Buster Olney (filling in for Golic) with Greenburg this morning, probably about 5:15. They were talking about how they were all surprised about how good the Sox looked so far, and it seem Greeny is a believer in the 2008 team. It was cool to hear Will talk about how he is a bid Sox fan, dating back to his time with the Bulls. I guess he used to go to games all the time (anyone ever see him at a game?) when he was in Chicago.

It was nice to start my day, very early at that, to hear some national love for our boys.

Go White Sox!

chaerulez
04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Why was Will Purdue on the show? Is he a ESPN NBA analyst?

I don't care for Mike & Mike, but it is nice to see someone take notice of our good start and AL best record.

bigsoxfan420
04-17-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't know who Will works for. From what I heard he wasn't just a guest, but rather was on for at least the two segments that I heard. For some reason he was co-guest host with Buster. BTW, it was much better than Mike and Mike is ususally. It reminded me of the show three or fours years ago, when IMO it was actually good.

asindc
04-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Mike Greenberg talks up the Sox quite often. Actually, yesterday he said he wished he had gone with his gut and picked the Sox to win the wild card like he initially thought. More than a few ESPN analysts seemed to agree with the general assessment on this board that the Sox will have the offense and its just a question of pitching, particularly the back three of our rotation.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2008, 10:43 AM
It was cool to hear Will talk about how he is a bid Sox fan, dating back to his time with the Bulls. I guess he used to go to games all the time (anyone ever see him at a game?) when he was in Chicago.

I have an Sox program from the early 90's and it has a picture of Will Perdue in a Sox uniform standing next to Tim "Rock Raines. If I had a scanner I'd put the pic up here.

Lip Man 1
04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
In the early 90's many of the Bulls would show up for games. I have video that shows Scottie, Will, M.J. there among others.

Lip

CHIsoxNation
04-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Karl Ravech made a comment yesterday on Baseball Tonight about how the White Sox themselves believe they will compete in the division and Tim Kurkjian made a comment that he believes they will too. Kurkjian went on to talk about how he still thinks the AL Central is the toughest division in baseball especially with KC's hot start.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-17-2008, 10:58 AM
In the early 90's many of the Bulls would show up for games. I have video that shows Scottie, Will, M.J. there among others.

Lip

I remember watching games on SportsChannel and they would constantly show shots of several Bulls players at the park in the Diamond Suites.

PatK
04-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Not the Sox, but Will Purdue was always sitting by us at the Blackhawks games when he was with the Bulls. The guy was amazing with the amount of food he would put away.

Those were great seats at the old Stadium. Jim McMahon, Butthead, and Ryne Sandburg sat by us as well.

Scott Williams also sat by us and would go out during the period (when no one was around concessions) and buy a bunch of beers and pour them into a big plastic Coke cup so it would look like he wasn't drinking.

spawn
04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
I heard Buster talking about the Sox on Monday. He and Greeny were talking about the AL Central and how he believed the Royals and the Twins won't win the division this year, but he believed the Sox were for real, and it came down to the rotation. He also said he was talking with Peter Gammons and both agreed that the experts and most of the WSI community completely understimated the Sox this season.

I hope he's right!

BTW...he didn't really mention the WSI community. :redneck

dickallen15
04-17-2008, 11:29 AM
We used to see Will the Thrill at Sox games when he was with the Bulls. He even bought us a beer once.

skottyj242
04-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Luc Longley was foreign.

popilius
04-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I defnitely remember Purdue being shown on TV many times in the 90s. He would sign autographs for the people sitting around him.

Corlose 15
04-17-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure his last name is spelled Perdue. Not, Purdue.

I want Mags back
04-17-2008, 01:43 PM

and u beat me to it

getonbckthr
04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I heard Buster talking about the Sox on Monday. He and Greeny were talking about the AL Central and how he believed the Royals and the Twins won't win the division this year, but he believed the Sox were for real, and it came down to the rotation. He also said he was talking with Peter Gammons and both agreed that the experts and most of the WSI community completely understimated the Sox this season.

I hope he's right!

BTW...he didn't really mention the WSI community. :redneck
Silvy did either earlier this week or last week.

Juice16
04-17-2008, 02:10 PM
In high school (early 90s) we had tix behind the visitors dugout, 11 rows up. I saw Will there many times sitting a few rows ahead.

bigsoxfan420
04-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Oops, I guess I had chicken on the brain this morning.

DSpivack
04-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Oops, I guess I had chicken on the brain this morning.

Or Boilermaker. Perdue chicken spells it the same as Will. :redneck

Brian26
04-17-2008, 08:23 PM
I heard Olney on late last week around 5:45am. He mentioned that he was talking to Gammons, and they both agreed that they probably underestimated the Sox this year in their preseason predictions.

Will Perdue won a lot of my respect a few years ago when I saw him board the Red Line to go to the Sox game.

ChiSoxGirl
04-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Did anyone catch Will Perdue and Buster Olney (filling in for Golic) with Greenburg this morning, probably about 5:15. They were talking about how they were all surprised about how good the Sox looked so far, and it seem Greeny is a believer in the 2008 team. It was cool to hear Will talk about how he is a bid Sox fan, dating back to his time with the Bulls. I guess he used to go to games all the time (anyone ever see him at a game?) when he was in Chicago.

It was nice to start my day, very early at that, to hear some national love for our boys.

Go White Sox!

I saw him at a game once- he was in line at the ATM behind home plate! :tongue:

haganaga
04-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Go White Sox!
I saw him walking the concourse at Game 2 during the rain delay prior to first pitch.

petekat
04-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Greeny is a big fan of the Sox, going back to his days at Northwestern (there at the same time) in the late 80s. He also has a lot of love for Ozzie as anyone remembers from 05. Count him among the part of the media that finds Ozzie endearing, not irritating, and a reporter's dream for keeping it real and providing lively quotes

Mike Greenberg talks up the Sox quite often. Actually, yesterday he said he wished he had gone with his gut and picked the Sox to win the wild card like he initially thought. More than a few ESPN analysts seemed to agree with the general assessment on this board that the Sox will have the offense and its just a question of pitching, particularly the back three of our rotation.

slavko
04-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Hasn't Greeny taken a lot of s-word on this board for being an NU frat boy Cubby lover? Does anyone know? Does anyone care? He's not a bad broadcaster, nor is Golic. Preferable to anything local in the time slot.

FireMariotti
04-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Hasn't Greeny taken a lot of s-word on this board for being an NU frat boy Cubby lover? Does anyone know? Does anyone care? He's not a bad broadcaster, nor is Golic. Preferable to anything local in the time slot.

It's not hard to be preferable when anything local= North. I do like Mike and Mike though.