PDA

View Full Version : When did it become vogue to combine winning streaks?

Frontman
04-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Ok,

I'm offically annoyed with the media in Chicago. Since when did we start combining the Sox and the Cubs win streaks and records? I've heard at least in 3 different outlets "The Sox and Cubs have combined for an 8 game win streak" over the weekend; they started it again.

What, do we get to combine clubs come October and go into the playoffs as a single team? No? Then what the hell is this garbage of combining records?

IceczMan
04-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Actually, at the end of the season, the teams combine the best 25 players between them and compete as a mega all-Chicago team against the Yanks/Mets, Oak/Giants, and Angels/Dodgers.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, maybe its just a way for them to mention the cubbies even when talking about the Sox winning.

Elephant
04-16-2008, 11:13 PM
They took'r wins!

Boondock Saint
04-16-2008, 11:21 PM
They took'r wins!

They tick'a da wih!

Back to the topic...they've been doing it for a while now, and personally, it doesn't bother me. I know what the Sox are doing, and I could care less what the Cubs are doing. The media outlets are supposed to remain unbiased, and "pooling wins" is just a way for them to say "Yay! Chicago is winning!".

spiffie
04-17-2008, 05:46 AM
Actually, at the end of the season, the teams combine the best 25 players between them and compete as a mega all-Chicago team against the Yanks/Mets, Oak/Giants, and Angels/Dodgers.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, maybe its just a way for them to mention the cubbies even when talking about the Sox winning.
I'm afraid of the KC/STL juggernaut.

I'm sure the Cubs can get by just fine on their own, considering they have the same record as us.

Railsplitter
04-17-2008, 06:06 AM
The media have to come up differet angles.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-17-2008, 06:51 AM
The media have to come up differet angles.

Go back and find paper examples of the WS coverage - for every 2 Sox stories, there was a Cubs story. However, that is not reciprocal - how many Sox stories were there last year when the Cubs were in the playoffs?

Well, that's not really fair - the Cubs were only in the postseason for a week.

getonbckthr
04-17-2008, 12:30 PM

Please don't give Bud any ideas.

skottyj242
04-17-2008, 12:35 PM
So if the Sox win 15 in a row and the Cubs win one do we have a 16 game winning streak?

I want Mags back
04-17-2008, 12:48 PM
They tick'a da wih!

Back to the topic...they've been doing it for a while now, and personally, it doesn't bother me. I know what the Sox are doing, and I could care less what the Cubs are doing. The media outlets are supposed to remain unbiased, and "pooling wins" is just a way for them to say "Yay! Chicago is winning!".

exactly

MarySwiss
04-17-2008, 01:29 PM
So if the Sox win 15 in a row and the Cubs win one do we have a 16 game winning streak?
No, they do. :cool:

Jerko
04-17-2008, 02:00 PM
It's like the pre-2005 185 year Chicago World Series drought, only in reverse. :mad:

TommyJohn
04-17-2008, 02:04 PM
It's like the pre-2005 185 year Chicago World Series drought, only in reverse. :mad:

So I guess that means that Chicago's World Championship drought is 103 years.